Fallen Leaf

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: TJ Leaf

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I highly highly doubt there was a nefarious plan by Adidas, UCLA, and the Illuminati to bring down Arizona Basketball from the inside. The kid changed his mind. We should probably just accept it and move on as a fanbase.
The illuminati is to blame for everything one way or the other naturally, but yes there was no mole here. The only thing I disagree with is that the kid changed his mind or at least not solely. This is a world where these kids don't make their own college choices. Their decisions are made by others 99 times out of 100 and this situation is no different than others that's for sure. I mean a kid wearing a U of A hat as he leaves to play for Israel obviously has personal intentions of decommitting a week later when he gets back from playing for Israel right?

https://twitter.com/Compton_Magic/statu ... 5223751680
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:I highly highly doubt there was a nefarious plan by Adidas, UCLA, and the Illuminati to bring down Arizona Basketball from the inside. The kid changed his mind. We should probably just accept it and move on as a fanbase.
When I first heard of the decommit I was watching Wild Kratts with my nephew. The episode was about the Monarch Butterfly. Oh, the Illuminati are behind this, alright.

Whether it was intentional from the start, or just grew convenient at the end, Adidas and UCLA definitely play a huge role here. I'm not sure what, nor to what degree, but that whole Compton Magic handling is more like pushing. Maybe even placing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
The illuminati is to blame for everything one way or the other naturally, but yes there was no mole here. The only thing I disagree with is that the kid changed his mind or at least not solely. This is a world where these kids don't make their own college choices. Their decisions are made by others 99 times out of 100 and this situation is no different than others that's for sure. I mean a kid wearing a U of A hat as he leaves to play for Israel obviously has personal intentions of decommitting a week later when he gets back from playing for Israel right?

Definitely not a decision made in a vacuum. As I said earlier in the thread, he certainly had people in his ear. But I doubt their intention was to fuck over Arizona. I have to think their thought process was to instruct TJ on what would be best for him first, for them second (or maybe that was switched), and if they do have any antipathy towards Arizona or Nike then us being screwed is a fringe benefit.
JMarkJohns wrote:Whether it was intentional from the start, or just grew convenient at the end, Adidas and UCLA definitely play a huge role here. I'm not sure what, nor to what degree, but that whole Compton Magic handling is more like pushing. Maybe even placing.
AAU clubs definitely place players. And we benefit from that as much as we don't, if not more.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Definitely not a decision made in a vacuum. As I said earlier in the thread, he certainly had people in his ear. But I doubt their intention was to fuck over Arizona. I have to think their thought process was to instruct TJ on what would be best for him first, for them second (or maybe that was switched), and if they do have any antipathy towards Arizona or Nike then us being screwed is a fringe benefit.
JMarkJohns wrote:Whether it was intentional from the start, or just grew convenient at the end, Adidas and UCLA definitely play a huge role here. I'm not sure what, nor to what degree, but that whole Compton Magic handling is more like pushing. Maybe even placing.
AAU clubs definitely place players. And we benefit from that as much as we don't, if not more.
Wish there was a thumbs up smiley to respond to this post. You nailed it. I do have to give credit to the Leaf camp for the timing of the decommitment. While the most ideal time would be prior to the summer AAU circuit, this was still a good time for Arizona to recover at the position, and provides a selling point of tons of playing time for a major program with the potential to compete for a title. Worst comes to worst Arizona will end up playing the grad transfer sweepstakes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:
Maybe he just did not enjoy his experience with Miller before being cut? Or maybe he just changed his mind since he committed fairly early. I do not think there is a personal thing or anything that is fraudulent or illegal going on.
I don't know what it is, and it may not be something absolutely crazy or illegal, but it has to be something. I really do not buy a change of mind without something major prompting him. I mean, what has changed? This isn't a something bigger or better came up thing. We are a top 5 program right now. Miller has continued with top 5 classes and his stock continues to rise with the new USA position and the gold. McKale has become unreal, the facilities are second to none. The national attention is higher than just about ever. The program is still rising and whoever signs with us has a shot to fully cement this program as the "it" program outside of maybe 1 or 2 schools with a final four or championship. I'm probably wrong, but my gut tells me the Miller/Leaf relationship soured somehow over time or over something specific. He had people in his ear before his commitment and all the time after. Why now? The timing is weird. Unless he has a sick family member in socal.

You can have people pointing their fingers at the "lack of development of our big men" or "guard oriented offense" which is stupid. Derrick Williams was a 5 out of necessity but really played like a 4, should have been a first team all american, and was the second overall pick. Aaron Gordon played 3 and 4, mostly 4 after Bash went down, was a third team all american, and ended up being a top 4 pick after one year. Brandon Ashley's lack of big numbers at Arizona and dropped stock is only due to his injury, his engine and assertiveness (both his fault), and being just a little too small for the prototypical NBA 4. If Ashley had the personality for it, he could have been our top scorer last year EASILY. All three of these guys are college 4's on paper, all four had plenty of touches and the green light from midrange and deep.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thijk Miller knew what was going on and cut him with purpose atvthe U19 tryouts.

I base that on all the other offers we had out at the 4 spot. I do think his AAU team was in his ear with UCLA being the benefactor of that.

I also think by the time this recruiting season wraps that we will be just fine. Top 5 class fine
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:I thijk Miller knew what was going on and cut him with purpose atvthe U19 tryouts.
Miller didn't have the final say on the U19 roster. There was a committee that decided the roster, and Leaf just wasn't playing like one of the best 12 kids at the tryout.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Chicat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I thijk Miller knew what was going on and cut him with purpose atvthe U19 tryouts.
Miller didn't have the final say on the U19 roster. There was a committee that decided the roster, and Leaf just wasn't playing like one of the best 12 kids at the tryout.
Miller did not have the final say, but being the head coach his opinion carried the most weight. First warning light for me went off when Leaf didn't even make it to the final 15. Wouldn't be surprised if Miller knew something was in the works. Again, this is all speculation, but we're discussing this because it is so unusual.

Go Cats!!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think he just didn't want to be called "The Other TJ"
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Poach a TJ. Have a TJ poached. Order is restored in the universe.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catstatic wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Miller did not have the final say, but being the head coach his opinion carried the most weight. First warning light for me went off when Leaf didn't even make it to the final 15. Wouldn't be surprised if Miller knew something was in the works. Again, this is all speculation, but we're discussing this because it is so unusual.

Go Cats!!
Premium articles and discussion have mentioned repeatedly that Arizona was caught off guard by the decommitment. And although TJ had people in his ear saying Miller was recruiting over him, the big men the staff have talked to have been recruited as Centers, not PFs, or were simply not as good as Leaf and would have been bench filler.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bayless reopened his recruitment and then signed on the dotted line. Sometimes it isn't something nefarious. It's just human beings being human beings.
KaibabKat wrote:Poach a TJ. Have a TJ poached. Order is restored in the universe.
And TJ backward is JT. Is there a JT we'd like to have?
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I base that on all the other offers we had out at the 4 spot. I do think his AAU team was in his ear with UCLA being the benefactor of that.

I also think by the time this recruiting season wraps that we will be just fine. Top 5 class fine
We had multiple offers out to 5s, not 4s. I mean the only 4 was Lightfoot and he's not exactly a threat to anyone let alone a top 10 player and the Finnish kid could play next to Leaf, but that recruitment was totally Miller doing his typical hoarding of post players and speaks to wanting more flexible talent at the 5 spot than anything.

If you're looking for a reason that Leaf was cut, look no further than Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, and Josh Jackson. The U19 team's strategy is to out athlete every one as they don't have an advantage skill wise and that means playing smaller, quicker, and more athletic at the 4. TJ Leaf was not going to beat a single one of those guys out at that position when that was the criteria dictated by the USA team committee. Yes Miller is the head man, but he has orders. Those orders called for playing 4 men that TJ Leaf did not fit the criteria for. Even if Miller wanted TJ on his team he had to overrule Jim Boeheim (Coach K's right hand man) and the rest of the committee. I sure wouldn't bank on that, especially when Coach K is landing Tatum and Giles and his influence reigns supreme over all USA teams.

In regards to everything else I'd definitely take Chicat's word for it. He's not steering you or anybody else in the wrong direction here.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Perspective.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 238be.html
After all, the Wildcats had only point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright entering the recruiting stretch run at this point two years ago. Miller’s 2014 class eventually included Stanley Johnson, Dusan Ristic, Kadeem Allen and Craig Victor — so much talent that Victor wound up transferring and Allen redshirted last season.

Arizona also had zero players lined up entering August 2013, before Elliott Pitts, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon later pledged.
Right where I want to be.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

gumby wrote:Perspective.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 238be.html
After all, the Wildcats had only point guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright entering the recruiting stretch run at this point two years ago. Miller’s 2014 class eventually included Stanley Johnson, Dusan Ristic, Kadeem Allen and Craig Victor — so much talent that Victor wound up transferring and Allen redshirted last season.

Arizona also had zero players lined up entering August 2013, before Elliott Pitts, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Aaron Gordon later pledged.
Good words but it does not tell the whole story. At this point in those prior years a lot more work was done for the positions of need (this year a 4)
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I think Miller knew what was going on and cut him with purpose at the U19 tryouts.

Call me naive, but I'd like to believe Miller is above a personal vendetta when providing input on who should or should not make the roster.

And if he isn't, then he has no business coaching that team.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:A god in the LA basketball scene?

lol
York City was a movement my man. You probably weren't aware because when he was in high school UCLA didn't even field a basketball team.
Exactly right on both counts, CC.

Bug, hey. York not only tore it up leading Lutheran, he was also a big Compton Magic poster boy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

KaibabKat wrote:Poach a TJ. Have a TJ poached. Order is restored in the universe.
:lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I think Miller knew what was going on and cut him with purpose at the U19 tryouts.

Call me naive, but I'd like to believe Miller is above a personal vendetta when providing input on who should or should not make the roster.

And if he isn't, then he has no business coaching that team.

Good point and as usual you are probably right. It was a committee choice anyway and he had just traveled from a far to get to the tryouts and didn't play to his usual level so it probably was an easy choice given his performance.

I do know his AAU team was in his ear quite a bit and mostly about the careers of York and even Jarrett
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I know T.J. Leaf;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
But trust me.... You don't.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
This is how bad info gets passed around.
If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do.
Cos some fans believe anything they hear.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAEebs86 wrote:I know T.J. Leaf;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
Then tell us about mr leaf
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

3goggles wrote:
Then tell us about mr leaf

http://forum.goazcats.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=19

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... ans#p15030

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... ans#p41253

Etc.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Never gets old. :lol:

Go Cats!!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

[quote="Merkin"]Image

Those girls behind him wanted the D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Those girls behind him wanted the D
So does the Arizona coaching staff and Arizona fans.

Wait, you were talking about Defense, right?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EOCT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

lol
York City was a movement my man. You probably weren't aware because when he was in high school UCLA didn't even field a basketball team.

Bug, hey. York not only tore it up leading Lutheran, he was also a big Compton Magic poster boy.
He was a great player for sure, but I'm assuming CCW was being mostly satirical about York's HS career as he went 6-5 his senior year in league play
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
EOCT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

lol

He was a great player for sure, but I'm assuming CCW was being mostly satirical about York's HS career as he went 6-5 his senior year in league play
His team sucked, yet he was a living legend in the scene at the time. Youtube videos only increased his stature.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
EOCT wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

lol

His team sucked, yet he was a living legend in the scene at the time. Youtube videos only increased his stature.
Yes, right as usual CC. Lutheran's record York's Sr. year was 22-11 counting tournaments and the guy carried the otherwise very average team with 24.9PPG, 4.8Boards, 2.7As, and 2.3Steals PG. He went to Addidas Nation Camp that summer, and carried his team averaging 30PPG. His Tubes were constant as you mention, and he got terrific exposure with CMagic.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Looks like we have our answer...

http://teamstre.am/1I9tEVM

“Most of the schools I have on there, I have them on there because the coaches are really free, they let you do things,” he told SNY.tv this week. “Every single school in there, the coaches let you play with freedom. You don’t have to look over your shoulder and think, ‘If I take a bad shot, I’m out’. You can run, you can take quick shots and that’s what I like.”

Bummer to lose a talent like him, but clearly a better for elsewhere.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Please go to a P12 school
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If I take a bad shot, I’m out’. You can run, you can take quick shots and that’s what I like

UCLA would be a good fit, the bigger Bryce Alford.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Harvey Specter wrote:Looks like we have our answer...

“Most of the schools I have on there, I have them on there because the coaches are really free, they let you do things,” he told SNY.tv this week. “Every single school in there, the coaches let you play with freedom. You don’t have to look over your shoulder and think, ‘If I take a bad shot, I’m out’. You can run, you can take quick shots and that’s what I like.”

that quote is one of the biggest piles of dogshit ive ever read -- this de-commitment had one thing to do with, and it wasnt shot freedom.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:

that quote is one of the biggest piles of dogshit ive ever read -- this de-commitment had one thing to do with, and it wasnt shot freedom.
And what was that one thing?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:

And what was that one thing?
The general consensus among pundits was that it was Miller cutting him at the U19 tryouts.

But 97Cats knows more than they do and can hopefully share it.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the Compton Magic hates Sean Miller and Arizona like Derek Jeter hates herpes
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote:the Compton Magic hates Sean Miller and Arizona like Derek Jeter hates herpes
Ok well there it is.

Is the reason that's the case (basically) because a certain Compton Magic player on the team sometimes takes marginal shots and gets pulled because of it, or generally something else?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yes partly, but its a host of reasons that go beyond that certain player you speak of -- including but not limited to the opposite relationship with the team headlined in this thread.

all in all it makes for a interesting dynamic, generally speaking
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote:yes partly, but its a host of reasons that go beyond that certain player you speak of -- including but not limited to the opposite relationship with the team headlined in this thread.

all in all it makes for a interesting dynamic, generally speaking
I imagine. It will be interesting to see how it continues to play out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote:
97cats wrote:the Compton Magic hates Sean Miller and Arizona like Derek Jeter hates herpes
Ok well there it is.

Is the reason that's the case (basically) because a certain Compton Magic player on the team sometimes takes marginal shots and gets pulled because of it, or generally something else?
Which player is that?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I'm in front of the ADIDAS store in Carlsbad, CA and I really want to shit in the store and walk out!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sounds like Compton Magic and Howland or Oakland Folders and Howland.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Compton Magic and Etop can go screw themselves then. This is all cyclical, the Magic won't continue to land the best west coast talent year in year out and when that happens no one will care about them.
az91

Post by az91 »

This makes sense. I wonder if Miller recruits anymore Compton Magic players in the future?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:
This makes sense. I wonder if Miller recruits anymore Compton Magic players in the future?
I don't think there's much point in wasting time and resources doing that.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

3goggles wrote:I'm in front of the ADIDAS store in Carlsbad, CA and I really want to shit in the store and walk out!
Someone would just pick it up and put it on a shelf while wondering how the merchandise ended up there on the floor.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Think we are in on anther compton kid, Jaylen Hands ?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yeah he visited the day after TJ decommited lol He'll go to UCLA
az91

Post by az91 »

azcat49 wrote:Think we are in on anther compton kid, Jaylen Hands ?
Zero chance
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

How butt hurt are UA fans over losing Leaf?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "