Josh Jackson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

enfuego

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by enfuego »

HiCat wrote:5-star SG Josh Jackson planning to visit Michigan State again

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello

Elite prospect Josh Jackson said he wants to visit Michigan State, Kansas and Arizona. Recently visited Maryland.
12:12 PM - 21 Aug 2015

http://spartanavenue.com/2015/08/21/5-s ... ate-again/

Interestingly enough, the KU guys who follow recruiting think Arizona is the team to beat in this recruitment because of the relationship built during the U19 games.

I, however, stick to my original prediction that he'll be a Jayhawk.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Puerco wrote:Maryland's got grass, right? Really nice grass.
I heard Josh Jackson allergies are really bad in Arizona. Might have to go to Maryland to get away from it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
HiCat wrote:5-star SG Josh Jackson planning to visit Michigan State again

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello

Elite prospect Josh Jackson said he wants to visit Michigan State, Kansas and Arizona. Recently visited Maryland.
12:12 PM - 21 Aug 2015

http://spartanavenue.com/2015/08/21/5-s ... ate-again/

Interestingly enough, the KU guys who follow recruiting think Arizona is the team to beat in this recruitment because of the relationship built during the U19 games.

I, however, stick to my original prediction that he'll be a Jayhawk.
That should seal it guys. Our only competition for him is Maryland and Michigan State now. Appreciate the help enfuego.

In all seriousness after the Leaf Adidas fiasco I'm scared to death of Underarmour more than anything in this recruitment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UnderArmour's pitch is much like Cal's to Raab: You can either get in the back of the line in a dynasty or you can start your own. And it's a pretty good one.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:UnderArmour's pitch is much like Cal's to Raab: You can either get in the back of the line in a dynasty or you can start your own. And it's a pretty good one.
I think Underarmour's pitch is "we'll make you filthy rich before you dribble a ball in the NBA," but either way it's not as if Maryland is void of tradition. They have a more recent national title than we do unlike Cal who hasn't even had a 25 win season in 50+ years. If UA's pitch is what you're saying it is then to say it's quite a bit disingenuous is an understatement.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not starting a dynasty at Maryland. Starting a dynasty at UnderArmour.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Not starting a dynasty at Maryland. Starting a dynasty at UnderArmour.
Now that makes sense, gotcha.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Guess (future) money talks, but Nike is the only shoe company not making butt ass ugly basketball shoeS.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jackson wins Elite 24 dunk contest
18 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

Arizona Wildcats target Josh Jackson won the Elite 24 dunk contest with a between-the-legs dunk, warming up for today's Elite 24 game (4 p.m., ESPNU).

Jackson will be playing with T.J. Leaf and other top high school players today opposite a team featuring Rawle Alkins, a five-star 2016 guard from Brooklyn, who has added Arizona to his list of 11 schools he's considering.
http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 994fb.html

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... -backboard
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Michigan State may be getting a visit from 5-star SG Josh Jackson Saturday

http://spartanavenue.com/2015/09/11/mic ... -saturday/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Michigan State may be getting a visit from 5-star SG Josh Jackson Saturday

More and more, it seems like no one knows what the heck he's going to do. If he does choose college, I like our chances, but he's really soaking up the love from these elite programs, even if he's already made up his mind.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Dude, it's been written everywhere that Jackson is going to take all five of his official visits and then commit after. Why are you stressing over every little piece of news that doesn't involve UA?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Dude, it's been written everywhere that Jackson is going to take all five of his official visits and then commit after. Why are you stressing over every little piece of news that doesn't involve UA?
That is an excellent question.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:Michigan State may be getting a visit from 5-star SG Josh Jackson Saturday

More and more, it seems like no one knows what the heck he's going to do. If he does choose college, I like our chances, but he's really soaking up the love from these elite programs, even if he's already made up his mind.
Not everyone needs a subscription to Scout premium, but BC, I bet your doctor would agree to write you a prescription for that subscription and ask that your insurance cover it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Every day he doesn't commit to Arizona is a day he's going somewhere else where he hasn't committed.
Right where I want to be.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

If anyone cares about that crystal ball, pretty sure someone switched their pick to us
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Not since August.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i don't know anything about the "amerileague", but saw recently that they've allocated something like $1.25M of seed money towards recruiting McD AAs and elite prospects like JJ into their league:
story: Vegas Semipro League to Target 2016 High School Stars Like Josh Jackson
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

These Vegas leagues could be an interesting option for players wanting to skip college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hobbes wrote:These Vegas leagues could be an interesting option for players wanting to skip college.
They're really not. Overseas is much more lucrative. No one is going to play for the guy from pointguardu for pennies. There's a reason no one took the bait this year.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Not a whole lot of players go overseas either, especially those that can actually gain admittance to a university.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Not a whole lot of players go overseas either, especially those that can actually gain admittance to a university.
Yep. If you want money and respectable competition that the NBA will value you go overseas. Thankfully the allure of immediate money hasn't gotten a hold of the vast majority of elite prospects.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

agreed, though who knows if LV could be seen as a less scary and a bit more comfortably close to home option for kids with dollar signs in the eyes and can't / don't go for the college option. and you can just imagine the owners taking the cuonzo "be the start of something" party line to a new level -- "you won't just be the star of your team, you'll be the star of the entire league!"
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

jacksons crystal ball on 247 sports has dropped from 56% Arizona to 42% in the last week.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:jacksons crystal ball on 247 sports has dropped from 56% Arizona to 42% in the last week.
Couple of random Maryland picks make it look like a bigger drop than it really is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're in the mix for JJ. Don't think anyone's doubting that. But we've been "in the mix" for lots of players who went elsewhere.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

any time frame for JJ's decision?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:any time frame for JJ's decision?
Spring.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

A1RZONA wrote:jacksons crystal ball on 247 sports has dropped from 56% Arizona to 42% in the last week.
Just some dude from The Shiver switching from UA to "cloudy". The percentage math is a bit screwed up on that site. Arizona was polling between 52% and 56% over the last month, even though no predictions changed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Michigan State fans seem convinced they have the edge with him now.
TrueCat14

Post by TrueCat14 »

Can't figure out 2016, very strange. Look everyday for some news and nothing.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jerry Meyer switched his prediction to MSU and some MSU insider jumped in with a -- you guessed it! -- MSU prediction. UA down from 50% to 30% just based on that.

Meyer's change is a bit disconcerting, because from what I can tell he doesn't jump around a whole lot.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the silence from other sources and judging from the buzz around Jackson, we're starting to slide to the point as a program where we need Jackson more than he needs us.

And that really should never be how Arizona basketball operates.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the silence from other sources and judging from the buzz around Jackson, we're starting to slide to the point as a program where we need Jackson more than he needs us.

He's definitely the difference between a final four and the sweet 16 for next year.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

So what should we be willing to do to get him? What 'cuse did to get 'melo and its title? More? Worse?

We've never played that game with Leaf, Zimmerman, Rabb and other five-star big man recruits and IMHO shouldn't start with Jackson.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Michigan State fans seem convinced they have the edge with him now.

This is getting interesting now.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions

August 07, 2015 at 5:03 PM (not sure about this date?, seems like he visited near 9-11?)
The website, quoting Jackson's mother, Apple Jones, reports that Michigan State is one of two schools Jackson has visited, along with Arizona. It did not report a date for the visit.

"Michigan State was good," Jones said. "Coach [Tom] Izzo. I think he's a good coach. He cares about the kids and playing in his system. Those kids seem to develop."
http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf ... visit.html
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but given the silence from other sources and judging from the buzz around Jackson, we're starting to slide to the point as a program where we need Jackson more than he needs us.

Oh really? Since when does AZ not need elite players? And in this case, yes, we probably do need him more than he needs us. But if that goes against the grain of Miller's philosophy, then maybe he's better off somewhere else.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:So what should we be willing to do to get him? What 'cuse did to get 'melo and its title? More? Worse?

We've never played that game with Leaf, Zimmerman, Rabb and other five-star big man recruits and IMHO shouldn't start with Jackson.
Who suggested we do any thing out of normal to land him? Also Jackson isn't a big, so I have no idea why you're throwing him into that mix of players.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

A source informed Spartan Tailgate this weekend that Jackson is best friends with Bridges.

The same source added that Bridges and Jackson plan on playing together in college and that Michigan State would be a perfect fit for them.
This is from the article which made Meyer switch his pick. Remember Stan and Justise were supposed to play together so I wouldn't worry too much about it until 97 says otherwise
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:So what should we be willing to do to get him? What 'cuse did to get 'melo and its title? More? Worse?

Who suggested we do any of that? Also Jackson isn't a big.
No. But he is "THE difference between a Final Four and a Sweet 16," apparently.

So how far does Miller go to get this guy, particularly given the unknowns coming in around him still?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Who suggested we do any of that? Also Jackson isn't a big.
No. But he is "THE difference between a Final Four and a Sweet 16," apparently.

So how far does Miller go to get this guy, particularly given the unknowns coming in around him still?
What unknowns are coming in around him exactly?? Miller goes as far as he needs to without doing anything illegal obviously. He's the Aaron Gordon and Stanley Johnson of this class. You don't sit idley by and let your top priority who you have been leading for for some time go elsewhere. If he does go elsewhere so be it, Miller will have his worst recruiting class at Arizona since the Jesse Perry/Jordin Mayes class fresh off two 30 plus win seasons. Miller will have to adjust whatever he's doing in recruiting and recover next year hopefully.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

What unknowns? What KNOWNS are there coming into Arizona next class?

My point is that Miller has always recruited from a position of strength, but with a dry off-season to date, how much of a priority is Josh Jackson to the class that you sweeten your approach?

We can't keep asking 97cats for reassurance, but last we knew of, he basically told us Jackson was Arizona's to lose. An increasing number of sources disagree with that take.

So, again, how much does this program need Josh Jackson?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Oh you meant unknowns in regard to who else comes in with him.

Well if common sense prevails he likely has a PJC, Trier, Smith, and Ristic starting along side him. That's a final four caliber starting five without the known of who else is coming in with him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Oh you meant unknowns in regard to who else comes in with him.

Well if common sense prevails he likely has a PJC, Trier, Smith, and Ristic starting along side him. That's a final four caliber starting five without the known of who else is coming in with him.
Final Four, eh? That's some mighty high expectations you've got for these four, regardless of Jackson. PJC has never started a college game. Trier and Smith have never played in a college game. And yet, they're a year away from being FF caliber. And I like Ristic, but I need to say that fabled freshman-to-sophomore leap in his game before I start making such lofty predictions for him.

Like you, I actually think it's a good thing that we're (probably) going to avoid the one-and-done bug this year. We'll have a very experienced roster in 2016-17. It would be great to add some youth to that roster, not necessarily JJ.

I'd like to see us add some frontcourt depth. Our backcourt seems pretty loaded.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't think it's over presumptuous to think highly rated players will become very good players next year. That goes for all 4 players I named. The whole angle of "well I need to believe to see it" is so ridiculously narrow sighted.

If that's truly how you look at things then you must be of the opinion that this year's AZ team won't even make the tourney.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
az91

Post by az91 »

TrueCat14 wrote:Can't figure out 2016, very strange. Look everyday for some news and nothing.
Take a look at the thread about 2016. There are some good posts there that arrempt to explain why our recruiting has dropped off recently.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Oh you meant unknowns in regard to who else comes in with him.

Final Four, eh? That's some mighty high expectations you've got for these four, regardless of Jackson. PJC has never started a college game. Trier and Smith have never played in a college game. And yet, they're a year away from being FF caliber. And I like Ristic, but I need to say that fabled freshman-to-sophomore leap in his game before I start making such lofty predictions for him.

Like you, I actually think it's a good thing that we're (probably) going to avoid the one-and-done bug this year. We'll have a very experienced roster in 2016-17. It would be great to add some youth to that roster, not necessarily JJ.

I'd like to see us add some frontcourt depth. Our backcourt seems pretty loaded.
That isn't lofty at all. PJC has shown he is solid player who will then have two years under his belt. Trier and Smith, two stud freshmen who will have a year under their belts. Ristic is going to be a problem by then around the hoop. There's going to be bench depth. Then you bring in the Kobe of that class? That's a final four team. Having a top of the class wing as good as Jackson is a huge deal and will push you into that conversation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... sh-jackson" target="_blank

You took an unofficial visit to Arizona, how was that trip?
It was real nice. The campus was real nice. The weather was great. I love the hot weather, coming from Michigan where it snows all the time. Obviously I have a great relationship with coach Miller with him coaching me at U19. I think he’s a great coach and I just really like Arizona.

What are the other schools involved?

Michigan State, Kansas, Maryland and UCLA.
Have you set up any visits?
I’m definitely going to take two this month, but I’m not sure when. The two I’m going to visit are Arizona and Kansas.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Read it again please. :D

Obviously I have a great relationship with coach Miller with him coaching me at U19. I think he’s a great coach and I just really like Arizona.