Suck it, Bobby Hurley

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Enjoy it, Bobby Hurley

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:So may great shots of Hurley having his childish rants.
Nice pit stains Bobby.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Hurley showed his inexperience with the second technical. His team had momentum and was playing with fire and intensity trying to mount an end-of-the-game comeback. The moment he was ejected, the game was over. That loss ends up solely on his shoulders. Not that AZ was going to lose the game, but ASU was in the game at that point with plenty of time to make its final move and Hurley derailed it like a fool.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He's just a loose cannon. He wanted this win to validate himself early so bad. First game vs a rival and first conference game? Lol.

He put a bit of target on his back too. Pac 12 officials probably gonna be payin a little closer attention to him and/or not quite have the same leash w his BS, especially after the tunnel fake tough guy antics. Opposing fans should be trolling the hell out of him the rest of the year to see if they can help assist the timebomb to blow up again.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Today he looked foolish but honestly I do think he is going to end up being a very good hire for ASU (unless he bolts right away)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Went back to watch the final two minutes. There was a foul on York on the press where Holder hooked his arm and drug him causing him to stumble, ASU wanted a travel. Hurley went about five feet on the court and waved his arms, couldnt tell if he was saying anything. Then the first T after York was fouled before the ball was even inbounded, walks to end of scorers table to face ref head on and whine, then walks back toward the bench and laugh but cant make out what he is saying. Then right before the T you can read his lips "fu*ked up" and then the whistle came. Both calls on York were clearly fouls and he had absolutely no reason to bitch other than wanted to be handed big (and wrong) calls in hopes his team could pull off a miracle.

After the T, stripes had a lot of patience w him.

Then the blocking foul. Was not a blocking foul, but after you been overaggressive and looking to be in foul mode, or at least defensive intensity w total recklessness mode, you arent getting that call. ASU player flopped and after he fell, his leg tripped York. His own damn fault for flopping and inadavertantly tripping York. Then Hurley went Nutso.

Every single call was justified and the right one. Think it was scheer on twitter talkin bout Hurley had been in their ears all game whining and was warned more than once. He just didnt know when to stop. The best was the cop that watched him walk by, pump out his bird chest like he wasn't Laettners punk his whole life, and then after a few seconds decided to follow him as he was exiting the tunnel
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

ASU benefitted from some ticky tack calls as they drove the lane. Contact was minimal and especially Holder was simply driving hard into the lane and creating contact and was being rewarded. That's the part of the rule changes that I don't like at all. Too many FT's for both teams IMO. So when the refs called the same type of fouls on ASU's defense, Hurley went nuts. Yeah, I thought some of the calls were questionable. But they certainly weren't one sided, so ASU can't complain.

On another note, I was disappointed Arizona didn't attack more when ASU pressed. That's when a good team just steps on the throat of the opponent. Oh, you're gonna full court press us? Okay, enjoy our dunk fest on the other end. Instead, we were a little tentative on consecutive trips down the floor. Anderson turned it over in the paint. We should have just been rolling up easy buckets at that point. I imagine the coaches will emphasize this. A team like Cal is athletic and will likely push tempo and defensive pressure. We have the horses (Allen, Trier, Anderson) to punish teams trygin to press us.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azcat49 wrote:He put his arms behind his back because the T was for being demostrative with his hands probably more then anything.

He knew what he was doing and it might have been quick but he is like rat face, he gets whiney when he us getting his,ass beat. Clown
i like how the press coverage photos of hurley with his hands behind his back make it look like he was arrested during the game. not just a coaching genius for getting the T down late in a two possession game, but a media genius as well.

again, i hope herb sendek is sitting back somewhere with his legs kicked up and enjoying the hell out of the shitshow that is asu basketball
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

dirtbags wrote:
azcat49 wrote:He put his arms behind his back because the T was for being demostrative with his hands probably more then anything.

He knew what he was doing and it might have been quick but he is like rat face, he gets whiney when he us getting his,ass beat. Clown
i like how the press coverage photos of hurley with his hands behind his back make it look like he was arrested during the game. not just a coaching genius for getting the T down late in a two possession game, but a media genius as well.

again, i hope herb sendek is sitting back somewhere with his legs kicked up and enjoying the hell out of the shitshow that is asu basketball
Who is the dude behind Hurley with the glasses on?

Also, I love the insecurity of the posters in this thread. Hurley is a good up and coming coach and has these kids overperforming this year. He has the opportunity to turn around the ASU program and make them a contender in the weak weak weak weak Pac-12.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:CST, he could be liked because he doesn't put up with the clown is sideline behavior of idiots like Hurley and Self
True, didn't think of that angle. Just don't want another Libby.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:Today he looked foolish but honestly I do think he is going to end up being a very good hire for ASU (unless he bolts right away)
I'm willing to bet he's in the running to be K's successor.

He's a tool, but he's a decent coach.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
dirtbags wrote:

Who is the dude behind Hurley with the glasses on?

Also, I love the insecurity of the posters in this thread. Hurley is a good up and coming coach and has these kids overperforming this year. He has the opportunity to turn around the ASU program and make them a contender in the weak weak weak weak Pac-12.
What insecurity? We're making fun of a tool bag coach that embarrassed his school on national TV. Hurley will not be at asu much past 2017/2018 either. Asu may have a good 2-3 years under him (which means 1-2 first round tournament losses) before he's desperate to go back east.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Funny, you should say that 'feuds considering how Self consistently dodges Marshall.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Sorry '97, but before the first T he was already jawing a lot with the ref, and at one point going into a break in play it looked like that ref told him to calm down or something to that effect, and Hurley closed his mouth and started giving the whole "I'm going to explode" mime show, staring down the ref as the team sat for the timeout. Pretty funny shit and at that moment I texted my brother to tell him the T had to be coming out soon. The whole time I'm also thinking he is such a great fit for them, going to be extra fun laying into them twice a year.
BTFD!!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Hmmm ..... Sports Illustrated or enflamo? Who's opinion should I trust?

Bobby Hurley acknowledges need for control after ejection against Arizona

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... hn-higgins
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

UAEebs86 wrote:Hmmm ..... Sports Illustrated or enflamo? Who's opinion should I trust?

The best example for Hurley may have been across the sideline on Sunday. Arizona coach Sean Miller certainly isn’t a prude with officials, as he’s been fined $25,000 by the league for confronting an official after the game. (Former Pac-12 head of officials, Ed Rush, resigned after reportedly offering to give officials $5,000 or a trip to Cancun for issuing Miller a technical or throwing him out of a game). Miller is a similarly fiery son of a successful high school coach who overachieved as a player, and he’s clearly gotten under some officials’ skin. But Miller has managed in 12 years at Xavier and Arizona to not get thrown out of a game. Hurley didn’t make it through his first league contest.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

enfuego wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Hmmm ..... Sports Illustrated or enflamo? Who's opinion should I trust?

The best example for Hurley may have been across the sideline on Sunday. Arizona coach Sean Miller certainly isn’t a prude with officials, as he’s been fined $25,000 by the league for confronting an official after the game. (Former Pac-12 head of officials, Ed Rush, resigned after reportedly offering to give officials $5,000 or a trip to Cancun for issuing Miller a technical or throwing him out of a game). Miller is a similarly fiery son of a successful high school coach who overachieved as a player, and he’s clearly gotten under some officials’ skin. But Miller has managed in 12 years at Xavier and Arizona to not get thrown out of a game. Hurley didn’t make it through his first league contest.
I'd say there were extenuating circumstances involving Miller's fine. While the league upheld the fine, I think it's fair to say everyone with any common sense realizes it was b.s. all the way around. In the court of public opinion, Miller was the big winner and the conference and its employees looked like asses. Miller has since had the class and good sense to move forward since the incident.
Arizona basketball is no stranger to crude and asinine behavior in Tempe dating back to the Steve Kerr days (PLO chants), Lute getting called "classless" by Rob Evans following the scoreboard pointing incident (in which ASU's president then offered a public apology to Lute) and now this incident involving Hurley.

Despite going to Duke and being an outstanding player, Hurley is still a new coach (experience-wise) and new to the conference. His behavior today demonstrated an attitude of entitlement because "I'm Bobby Hurley and I went to Duke." Well guess what? You're in Arizona now and the UA owns this state and our basketball program doesn't give two craps about what Hurley did as a player at Duke. In fact, it probably motivates our program to dig a little deeper knowing that their in-state rival also employs a former player from a program that the UA has grown to despise.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Lol Hurley is a douche and he showed it today. Perfect fit for ASU. And Enfuego don't even go there with weak conferences when the Big 8 or 12 or 10 or whatever the hell you call it these days hasn't been past the sweet 16 since what, 2012???
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

KOQSTRONG wrote:Lol Hurley is a douche and he showed it today. Perfect fit for ASU. And Enfuego don't even go there with weak conferences when the Big 8 or 12 or 10 or whatever the hell you call it these days hasn't been past the sweet 16 since what, 2012???
can't imagine our crowd and students chanting f*ck you refs or whatever it was, like they were very very loudly repeatedly the last minute of the game. Not a good look at all for both coach and school and their students. terrible behavior did not look good for them. felt bad for their players who performed well and gave it everything with class minus the elbow
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

CBCat wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:Lol Hurley is a douche and he showed it today. Perfect fit for ASU. And Enfuego don't even go there with weak conferences when the Big 8 or 12 or 10 or whatever the hell you call it these days hasn't been past the sweet 16 since what, 2012???
can't imagine our crowd and students chanting f*ck you refs or whatever it was, like they were very very loudly repeatedly the last minute of the game. Not a good look at all for both coach and school and their students. terrible behavior did not look good for them. felt bad for their players who performed well and gave it everything with class minus the elbow
I've been watching UA/ASU basketball for more than 30 years. The names and faces change but ASU's behavior remains the same. And so does the scoreboard. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Banner weekend for ASU athletics!!!!!
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

In all our differences about our football season and our coach and how everyone feels about it at least keep some perspective.

Asu football lost their bowl game, and now have a losing season. We won our bowl game and have a winning season.

They lost to us today in Tempe, and their coach got booted.

Regardless of how you might feel about our football program, it was a good weekend to be a Cats fan. Even when our year isn't any good in football, ASU finds a way, like only it can, to be worse.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Even the best coach in the post-Wooden era gets run. Even Lute got so frustrated with playing UConn he saw the second half against Calhoun from a box atop the Lahaina gym.

But where Hurley has really dug himself a hole is how early he got started going berserk. Eric Jacobsen flops against Trier off a hedge with 2:23 to play in the first half and Hurley's already bucking and snorting like his center got abused by a 6'1" guard.

Really? You haven't earned that kind of cred in this conference, dude. You're not entitled to that kind of Cameron Indoor call either.

This is the only guy I've seen who got in a car accident and went to Sacramento Kings games with his head in traction. Does he really think such displays put him at a higher level of toughness than everyone else?

Then that b*tch ejection not only killed ASU's comeback, sealing the game for Arizona, it sets the worst kind of example for a first-year coach in this conference, and after a call that was a flop job. Did he really expect to get the turnover after Holder tripped York?

Now he's got the perception problem Kelvin Sampson had when starting out at Wazzu--loose cannon prone to going off for extended periods for leverage. Other crews won't forget that. Hell, they'll probably be required to see the tape from this point on.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:I love the insecurity of the posters in this thread.
This quote, coming from you of all posters, is laugh out loud funny.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The images of Hurl great comedy stuff, he looked like a fool. Like noted above, bad decision to get the 2nd tech. How do you coach your team not being on the floor? No class, no clue, but entertaining. :roll:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:I love the insecurity of the posters in this thread.
This quote, coming from you of all posters, is laugh out loud funny.
If mocking a rival's coach when he gets kicked out of a game is insecurity, what is hanging out on a OOCteam's message board to troll?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

carolinacat wrote: On another note, I was disappointed Arizona didn't attack more when ASU pressed. That's when a good team just steps on the throat of the opponent. Oh, you're gonna full court press us? Okay, enjoy our dunk fest on the other end. Instead, we were a little tentative on consecutive trips down the floor. Anderson turned it over in the paint. We should have just been rolling up easy buckets at that point. I imagine the coaches will emphasize this. A team like Cal is athletic and will likely push tempo and defensive pressure. We have the horses (Allen, Trier, Anderson) to punish teams trygin to press us.
I think at that point the clock is your friend and you drain it. My biggest beef was when the 16 point lead got down to 8 and I don't recall many full court presses being beaten and having a distinct advantage on our end during that span. We got complacent and let off the gas in general, especially on D, and there were a few ticky tack calls that got ASU free points at the line. ASU got it down to 6 points with some prayers too, so I don't think we were in full meltdown mode. The one time we beat the press and didn't drain the clock, I think we had Zeus, Anderson and Tollefsen on one man and two bad/mishandled bounce passes later it was a turnover. That one stuck out in my mind a lot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
carolinacat wrote: On another note, I was disappointed Arizona didn't attack more when ASU pressed. That's when a good team just steps on the throat of the opponent. Oh, you're gonna full court press us? Okay, enjoy our dunk fest on the other end. Instead, we were a little tentative on consecutive trips down the floor. Anderson turned it over in the paint. We should have just been rolling up easy buckets at that point. I imagine the coaches will emphasize this. A team like Cal is athletic and will likely push tempo and defensive pressure. We have the horses (Allen, Trier, Anderson) to punish teams trygin to press us.
I think at that point the clock is your friend and you drain it. My biggest beef was when the 16 point lead got down to 8 and I don't recall many full court presses being beaten and having a distinct advantage on our end during that span. We got complacent and let off the gas in general, especially on D, and there were a few ticky tack calls that got ASU free points at the line. ASU got it down to 6 points with some prayers too, so I don't think we were in full meltdown mode. The one time we beat the press and didn't drain the clock, I think we had Zeus, Anderson and Tollefsen on one man and two bad/mishandled bounce passes later it was a turnover. That one stuck out in my mind a lot.
I could go either way. I did think we got conservative about two minutes too early, but we still did fine. The bigger issue was missing a few ft's.

I like attacking, but the biggest issue was that the times we broke it most effectively was with running Tollefsen down the middle. Is Tollefsen the guy you want in the middle of a 3 on 2? If that guy was Allen or Trier, I would have been more comfortable saying go for it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I could go either way. I did think we got conservative about two minutes too early, but we still did fine. The bigger issue was missing a few ft's.

I like attacking, but the biggest issue was that the times we broke it most effectively was with running Tollefsen down the middle. Is Tollefsen the guy you want in the middle of a 3 on 2? If that guy was Allen or Trier, I would have been more comfortable saying go for it.
Yes and yes. And I should have mentioned that in my last post too, Tolly was the one crossing the timeline with the ball and although there wasn't traffic, I was nervous every time.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yes and yes. And I should have mentioned that in my last post too, Tolly was the one crossing the timeline with the ball and although there wasn't traffic, I was nervous every time.
Agree. That's why I posted that I'd like Trier being the release valve on the press. One guy inbounds, then hits the cutter in the middle of the floor. We actually handled the pressure well in the backcourt, even though ASU was holding the crap out of us. York gets a little loose with his dribble, he's not a point guard I totally trust...not always strong with the ball. Trier & Allen have a little better handle, probably because they're stronger in the upper body and can take a little contact.

I noticed that Anderson led our team in turnovers against ASU. The one that was glaring was when we broke the press and had an easy bucket and he simply lost the ball. I'm sure the coaches will study those situations close and point that out as the season unfolds. Cal & Oregon are gonna pressure us hard.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Why does York go in the corner when ASU was pressing? Just asking for a trap which did happen several times.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

carolinacat wrote:
Agree. That's why I posted that I'd like Trier being the release valve on the press. One guy inbounds, then hits the cutter in the middle of the floor. We actually handled the pressure well in the backcourt, even though ASU was holding the crap out of us. York gets a little loose with his dribble, he's not a point guard I totally trust...not always strong with the ball. Trier & Allen have a little better handle, probably because they're stronger in the upper body and can take a little contact.

I noticed that Anderson led our team in turnovers against ASU. The one that was glaring was when we broke the press and had an easy bucket and he simply lost the ball. I'm sure the coaches will study those situations close and point that out as the season unfolds. Cal & Oregon are gonna pressure us hard.
I trust Gabe in those situations more than anyone on this team honestly. He's quick in the open court, one of our three best foul shooters and isn't bad with the ball at all.
Merkin wrote:Why does York go in the corner when ASU was pressing? Just asking for a trap which did happen several times.
Every one of our guys does this. It drives me mad. Allen, PCJ, Gabe, I have seen Trier do it. You are going to get the ball in that area more times than not, but they (or the inbounder) leave no wiggle room constantly being right in that corner with no angle to give the ball back to the inbounder and no room to operate on the baseline or sideline.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bobby Hurley went Bobby Hurley.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Why does York go in the corner when ASU was pressing? Just asking for a trap which did happen several times.
It's easier to get open there because that's where the D will want you to go. I'd like to see people get open around the freethrow line extended if they are going to catch towards the sideline. That way, there's room to dribble backwards to create a better passing angle and separation. If you catch to much towards the corner, you have nowhere to go.

We did play strong with the ball when trapped. There wasn't any panicking and we never turned it over. ASU was using a hybrid, and it left a ton of space in the middle. We got the ball there effectively enough, given that we didn't inbound it to ideal positions.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It's easier to get open there because that's where the D will want you to go. I'd like to see people get open around the freethrow line extended if they are going to catch towards the sideline. That way, there's room to dribble backwards to create a better passing angle and separation. If you catch to much towards the corner, you have nowhere to go.

We did play strong with the ball when trapped. There wasn't any panicking and we never turned it over. ASU was using a hybrid, and it left a ton of space in the middle. We got the ball there effectively enough, given that we didn't inbound it to ideal positions.
I've never sat down and really looked at our press breaks this year always being at the home games, and now I am kicking myself for deleting the DVR'd game last night, although that was not a traditional press anyhow. Are we using a 1-2-2 with our guards starting at the elbows? The guys are correctly walking their man toward the baseline and then doing the 45 degree breakout and frequently ending up in the corner, a lot of the time right along a boundary after they pivot into the triple threat and look up court, sometimes its even with their backs to the basket. So stack our 1 and 2 on the foul line to give more space or start them a few steps above the foul line would be the logical fix? Just trying to make sense of why our guys are getting it so deep in that corner this much. I know this is not what Miller is teaching them and things don't always go as planned, but this seems to be the norm.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe it is what Miller is teaching them. It happened right in front of him. Can't imagine he wouldn't have corrected it right then and there if that wasn't what he wanted.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Maybe it is what Miller is teaching them. It happened right in front of him. Can't imagine he wouldn't have corrected it right then and there if that wasn't what he wanted.
It seems like he ok with it from ASU and past games. It happens often enough and I've never seen him stop the action and correct it as long as we're handling the trap.

It isn't actually awful. If you handle the trap well you get what we got, which is a fair number of free runs on the weak side. It's really hard to run an inbound set to get the ball in the middle against a man to man press. They were immediately dropping the man covering the inbounder to trap.

Against most presses, the trap is probably going to get there unless you're inbounding the ball 25-30 feet. I'd assume Miller is ok with it because his press break strategy is predicated on making a pass into the middle. Most coaches I played for had a similar strategy, that what mattered most was getting a runner into the middle to hit with that second pass. The guy who got the inbound, he just needed to catch it in a strong enough position to make that pass. This plays along with the idea that the best press break involves no dribbling until you have someone in the clear.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Can't we just get Jason Gardner and all this full court press nonsense will be over?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

carolinacat wrote:Can't we just get Jason Gardner and all this full court press nonsense will be over?
For every Jason Gardner, there's a Mustafa Shakur.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
carolinacat wrote:Can't we just get Jason Gardner and all this full court press nonsense will be over?

Thanks dude for reminding me of the 2005 Illini game, 5 turnovers for Shakur!

Worst choke ever in my 34 years of watching UA basketball. Think Illinois went on a 20-5 run to tie the game in regulation.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just watched the ejection again. My favorite part, by far, was Bobby desperately trying to keep his shirt tucked in like he was a pre-teen wearing a button down for the first time all year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Worst choke ever in my 34 years of watching UA basketball. Think Illinois went on a 20-5 run to tie the game in regulation.
Sorry, I just go to that game every time I think about a bad job breaking a press.

I actually think our current team sets up nicely to do what that team didn't, which is play 4 competent ballhandlers to decentralize the press break. Playing a KA/GY/AT/Tollefsen/Zeus 5 gives us 4 people who can handle it without sacrificing size and leaving a lot of good free throw shooters out there. We don't have to do the 2005 thing and overrely on the PG.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, the loss was Shakur's fault, entirely...

... his line of 4-6 FG's (2-3 Three's), 2-2 FT's, 2 Reb's, 4 A's, 5 TO's, 2 ST's, 1 PF, 12 pts cost AZ the game...

...Stoudamire's game, making just 2 of 13 shots - 1-of-7 on 3-pointers - had nothing to do with the outcome

SMH
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

http://csnbbs.com/thread-724558.html" target="_blank

Interesting read about his time at Buffalo.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, the loss was Shakur's fault, entirely...

... his line of 4-6 FG's (2-3 Three's), 2-2 FT's, 2 Reb's, 4 A's, 5 TO's, 2 ST's, 1 PF, 12 pts cost AZ the game...

...Stoudamire's game, making just 2 of 13 shots - 1-of-7 on 3-pointers - had nothing to do with the outcome

SMH

Course it wasn't, team loss like them all, but he didn't help his cause by messing up the final play setup by Lute by giving the ball to Hassan.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im just going to go on record here (as i seem to do every year when it comes up) and say again that Jason Gardner is one of the, if not the, most overrated player ever at Arizona.

thx in advance
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:Maybe it is what Miller is teaching them. It happened right in front of him. Can't imagine he wouldn't have corrected it right then and there if that wasn't what he wanted.
No coach is teaching that. You are always taught to avoid the corners, each boundary line acts as another defender, so you essentially got three men on you if just one traps you in that corner. Probably not seeing a reaction from Miller because I think we have only had one turnover in the limited times we have been pressed, but several close calls.

I get that Spliff and our 1-2-2 was the same in HS, but the point was always taught to push it up the floor if that's what the defender gives you. If you can keep it in your best ball handlers hands, thats ideal, hes probably the best passer on your team too and will have the advantage on his man plus the ability to distribute or make the appropriate decision at mid court or beyond. And two options is better than one regardless, pass, or dribble. Trapped in a corner, you only have one, pass, and even then, you might not have the best angle or sight line to get off a good pass.

My guess is he is not ok with it but with presses being fluid situations and considering the limited time this team sees it, views it as a work in progress
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:im just going to go on record here (as i seem to do every year when it comes up) and say again that Jason Gardner is one of the, if not the, most overrated player ever at Arizona.

thx in advance
+1000000000000
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:Just watched the ejection again. My favorite part, by far, was Bobby desperately trying to keep his shirt tucked in like he was a pre-teen wearing a button down for the first time all year.
Did you see how low he wears his slacks? Like a high school kid at graduation low. And he has the money to pay a tailor $15 to take in that dress shirt a couple, or maybe 4 inches. Slob
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Chicat wrote:Just watched the ejection again. My favorite part, by far, was Bobby desperately trying to keep his shirt tucked in like he was a pre-teen wearing a button down for the first time all year.
Did you see how low he wears his slacks? Like a high school kid at graduation low. And he has the money to pay a tailor $15 to take in that dress shirt a couple, or maybe 4 inches. Slob
Did he buy that shirt/slacks combo off the rack at JCPenney? He's not coaching in the freakin' American East or Mid-American or whatever shit conference he came from any more. Time to step up your game, Junior . . . especially if you're going to be getting tossed out of games on national television. :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote:im just going to go on record here (as i seem to do every year when it comes up) and say again that Jason Gardner is one of the, if not the, most overrated player ever at Arizona.

thx in advance
So many better players not in the UA AD Hall of Fame, but the criteria is the criteria, good or bad. Best player under 6', and national freshman player of the year so he qualified twice. Kerr was most inspirational and that got him in.

JG did tend to shoot the UA out of games and was probably broke the line of UA PGs going into the NBA. Not the best decision maker the Cats had at that position.

He was an ironman though, I think he averaged 38 minutes a game as a senior. Also, no one defended the baseline better in Lute's 1-3-1 than JG.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

thx in advance
Ok. Your opinion I suppose.

But good luck trying to press Arizona when Gardner played. Lute didn't need a press offense. Just get the ball to Jason and the press was broken. It's not an argument on Gardner's greatness (or lack thereof). His game was limited. But he was a part of some pretty special moments at Arizona and was always a classy person in victory and defeat. That's probably why he thought of so highly.