Post by azcat34 »

scumdevils86

Re: Sean Miller

Post by scumdevils86 »

heh
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Had some Beaver Falls reporter who, as his synchophants breathlessly told me, was a "friend of the Millers" reporting Miller to Pitt either likely or very possible on Twitter last night. I have some access, but not much, and i knew that to be false based on reason and word that he isn't all that enamored with his Alma mater. So I just responded that he was either wrong or "messing with people to have fun." The one tweet where this guy was very strongly suggesting it would happen got deleted, and another one where I engaged a bit got deleted as well...so I guess he wasn't just jerking the chain. He got pissed that someone challenged his Miller relationship. Classic Internet reporter gambit of "first to the story" with some qualifying "if things don't change" allowing him to win the Beaver Falls Pulitzer if he hits a home run but otherwise report "things changed" and claim to have been the first on the (non) story.

From that very brief period of interaction with Pitt fan, I believe we have found the fanbase more deluded than NC State. "But we are ACC!" Yeah...like Vandy football is SEC. Who wants to go from best in an entire region to 6th best in conference? But our arena! Yes. Pretty sure no none finds an alliterative way to call your arena name a type of magic like McKale Magic.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:Per Scheer on Twitter he's in Tucson.
He got it right this time. Of course he said RR was in his office before he boarded a plane back from his job interview in Columbia, SC... so he is batting 0.500.

Doesn't Sean know he should have gone back and at least kicked some tires? Sheesh...

He didn't let that's shit linger for a nanosecond. IIRC, he has quashed every rumor pretty quickly, except for the 1 job he did consider. Another reason I love the guy... even if he has never promised to retire from his job here.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat34 wrote:
Jesus, Walsh. Have some dignity.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The real question is, how many calls to JJ over the last couple days?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
Jesus, Walsh. Have some dignity.
That guy picked the wrong slow sports news day to double down on being flat out wrong.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Jefe wrote:The real question is, how many calls to JJ over the last couple days?
Haha - indeed.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

One of the responses on the Beaver Falls guy's post that Miller was likely going to PITT came after it was debunked in replies, and was on point.

It was a Sparty fan, and his response to the news that Miller wasn't going anywhere was simply "damn." I respect that. He gets it. He isn't just a March fan, but follows closely enough that the first thought about Miller leaving UA was "we get JJ." I appreciate aware fan.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Ex-KVOA guy:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Rich Walsh posted this on Facebook: :lol:

Rich Walsh KDKA
Yesterday at 5:31pm ·
In the Interest of Transparency
Allow me to explain what happened Tuesday regarding the Pitt Basketball coaching search and the information I reported.
First, I am proud of the reporting I’ve done on Pitt in the past (breaking the Pat Narduzzi, Matt Canada, other football coaches and Scott Barnes hires; reporting the Tyler Boyd DUI arrest first, etc.) and I intend to work hard to be in front on the big stories in the future. That said, on this occasion, there are some things I could have done better and I want you to know I have learned from the experience. I’d like to think I’m a better reporter today than I was yesterday.
So here’s the story. Early Tuesday morning I got a tip that Pitt had offered Sean Miller the coaching job. I learned that they had a conversation and that the job was Miller’s if he wanted it. I confirmed this same information with two solid sources - from both Pitt's side and Miller's side. I was also told that Miller would be in Pittsburgh at some point and things would happen, EITHER WAY, very quickly. (meaning he would accept or turn down job)
Around 2:00pm Tuesday, a different source told me Miller was in Pittsburgh. Looking for further confirmation of this, I called back one of my sources on the earlier information. This source told me "yeah, I told you he would be in town". I took this as confirming that Miller was indeed here. Additionally, 3 to 4 other people "in the know" shared the same information – one even provided what appeared to be rock-solid proof. I regret that I cannot elaborate.
So I went with it. I cannot prove it happened. I regret that I did not nail down exactly WHEN or IF Miller might have visited, and I regret declaring, “Miller is in town now” on Twitter yesterday afternoon. I am sorry.
Let me also make this clear, I NEVER reported that Miller was taking the Pitt job – only that it had been offered to him. I believe this to be 100% accurate. This, too, has gone unchallenged by both Miller and Pitt. Re-read the statement Miller issued after my story went online:
"I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for the University and city of Pittsburgh. My memories and friendships of my time as a student athlete are the best and strongest of my lifetime. However, I have one of the great jobs in college basketball at Arizona. I have no interest in becoming head coach at Pitt. I wish them luck in replacing Jamie Dixon, a tremendous coach and person, who did an incredible job in his time there."
So. This is new for me. My sources have never let me down before, especially on stories dealing with Pitt. I have learned to trust them. We never stop learning, do we?
Was I set up? Used as a pawn? Did I misinterpret information? I have to admit it’s possible. As I said, this episode will make me a better reporter.
I hope this explanation is helpful. Please know, I strive to be an honest, trustworthy source of information and I assure you I will never take your trust for granted. I promise to work hard to earn it every day.
Back to the beat. Thanks for reading!
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Pics of Sean Miller in Pittsburgh:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Rich Walsh sure is full of himself, even in defeat. He'll have to write a new speech now if he ever actually wins something.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rich Walsh - Reporting for the #3 station in the 23rd ranked market . . . but #1 in our hearts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Geez, now the guy is turning on his sources and throwing them under the bus. Way to burn those bridges man, unless they never really existed. Much like Miller in Pittsburgh
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:Geex, now the guy is turning on his sources and throwing them under the bus. Way to burn those bridges man, unless they never really existed. Much like Miller in Pittsburgh
Had the same thought. If he really did have a reliable source who told him that Miller was in Pittsburgh, that guy/girl will never give him any inside info again after that "Was I set up? Used as a pawn?" bullshit. But my gut feeling is that this guy was just pulling crap out of his ass and that he probably has one source who gave him vague info and the other 4-5 corroborating sources are made up to make him look like a real reporter and not some two-bit hack from a dying rust-belt city.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If we end up with Simmons, Alkins, Ferguson, does Miller stick almost exclusively with the packline? We'd be very athletic and big on the perimeter. Have Smith and maybe Trier and/or Jackson. Seems we'd have four athletes and a big to start.

After watching Syracuse spèed things up with the press, and watching Wichita State and Villanova's in-your-face perimeter D, would we be missing opportunities to swamp teams by laying back as usual?

Miller ran some press this year and we got back into games. How about doing that before desperation time? Been a packline fan, but I wonder whether all these young guys can make the decisions necessary to execute it and whether it would cost us points off turnovers.

In short, does it fit the roster?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Miller is very stubborn, which is a double edged sword in his coaching. I can't see him changing his philosophies. Well see what happens.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

:lol:

You see, I know a guy who knows a guy and for reasons I can't go into he's quite a guy. So I went with him, er, it. To sum up, I stand by my man. Was he wrong? Was I wrong? It's complicated.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:If we end up with Simmons, Alkins, Ferguson, does Miller stick almost exclusively with the packline? We'd be very athletic and big on the perimeter. Have Smith and maybe Trier and/or Jackson. Seems we'd have four athletes and a big to start.

After watching Syracuse spèed things up with the press, and watching Wichita State and Villanova's in-your-face perimeter D, would we be missing opportunities to swamp teams by laying back as usual?

Miller ran some press this year and we got back into games. How about doing that before desperation time? Been a packline fan, but I wonder whether all these young guys can make the decisions necessary to execute it and whether it would cost us points off turnovers.

In short, does it fit the roster?

I saw some zone being played this year, so anything can happen.

It seems that Miller can adapt, both professionally and personally. He's already changed his minds on the types of kids he wants to recruit based on the landscape of CBB, so I'd like to think that it could be a somewhat "modified packline".

I like defense. I do. I don't like defense at the cost of offense....meaning that if the defense wears out a team, then it's time to scrap it. It's tough to win back to back games 3 weekends in a row (or more if you count conf. tourneys) without causing fatigue. Sometimes I think the exertion of energy on defense is way too much to carry a team deeper and deeper into a tournament.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Interesting thoughts, ODogg. It might be the connection between how the 1997 National Champions could leave a deeper Kentucky team gasping for air, only to see basically the same group be the more winded team the next season against a Utah team that couldn't quite match the depth of Kentucky.

Like it or not, the win-or-go-home format of the Field of 68 seems to favor the win-at-all-costs coach--not the one who pushes defense, offense or even loyalty to seniors.

Boeheim got to another FF not just because of favorable seeding, but because of that nuisance of a zone he runs that is the fastest in America at extending out on shooters. It not only closes off potential back-breaking threes, it got key turnovers that swung momentum.

I think Miller can adapt to that in a one-game, winner-take-all scenario like Lute was able to do in '97. But what sort of Pac-12 team can endure the trademark inconsistent foul-filled conference matchups without being at least subconsciously softened for the Big Dance?

That's why IMHO Final Fours are less about Elite Eight wins and becoming more about power conference pageants.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:Interesting thoughts, ODogg. It might be the connection between how the 1997 National Champions could leave a deeper Kentucky team gasping for air, only to see basically the same group be the more winded team the next season against a Utah team that couldn't quite match the depth of Kentucky.

Like it or not, the win-or-go-home format of the Field of 68 seems to favor the win-at-all-costs coach--not the one who pushes defense, offense or even loyalty to seniors.

Boeheim got to another FF not just because of favorable seeding, but because of that nuisance of a zone he runs that is the fastest in America at extending out on shooters. It not only closes off potential back-breaking threes, it got key turnovers that swung momentum.

I think Miller can adapt to that in a one-game, winner-take-all scenario like Lute was able to do in '97. But what sort of Pac-12 team can endure the trademark inconsistent foul-filled conference matchups without being at least subconsciously softened for the Big Dance?

That's why IMHO Final Fours are less about Elite Eight wins and becoming more about power conference pageants.
IMO getting past the Elite 8 and into the Final 4 is more about hitting shots than it is defending them...anyone that's exhausted can miss a wide open jumper...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:Interesting thoughts, ODogg. It might be the connection between how the 1997 National Champions could leave a deeper Kentucky team gasping for air, only to see basically the same group be the more winded team the next season against a Utah team that couldn't quite match the depth of Kentucky.

VA had a massive collapse or it would be a pack line team in the FF. Check out the win percentage graph. It's not about zone/man.

gumby

Post by gumby »

It wasn't the zone that propelled Syracuse. It was extending the pressure and speeding up Virginia, which couldn't execute the 3-on-2 breaks. In retrospect, they should've pulled the ball out even if they had numbers, because that's what they're comfortable with.

Pac-12 officiating is a valid concern with pressure defense. UW was in foul trouble all year. Our guys looked like they were waiting for whistles against Wichita State.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Forfeits 6M if he leaves this month. Wow.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Doesn't even have an agent? I am not sure how rare that is in today's landscape, but I would suspect that it isn't common.

On another note, I spoke yesterday with a colleague in North Carolina who is a Tar Heel fan and former long time season ticket holder. He said there is a lot of talk that Roy could be stepping down at season's end due to health concerns. And the chatter says it's even more likely if the Heels win it all this year.

Something to keep an eye on...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Miller is about to land a monster class

North Carolina is about to get sanctioned.

This would be the perfect time for Roy to retire in regards to us keeping Miller.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I think Roy goes the Dean Smith route and stays long enough (fall-ish) to pick his successor and ensure his guy gets the job. Both UNC and Michigan with their "Michigan man" thing are obsessed with having one of their own be in charge.

Duke will probably be the same and Coach K will the do the same or offer Brad Stevens (being duke they'll somehow get him to leave championship level Boston teams).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not that I think Miller is leaving, but I do wonder who would be in the mix as a potential replacement. Archie?
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not that I think Miller is leaving, but I do wonder who would be in the mix as a potential replacement. Archie?
I'd like to think that Arizona is exactly the type of job Gregg Marshall has been holding out for. 8-)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:Doesn't even have an agent? I am not sure how rare that is in today's landscape, but I would suspect that it isn't common.

On another note, I spoke yesterday with a colleague in North Carolina who is a Tar Heel fan and former long time season ticket holder. He said there is a lot of talk that Roy could be stepping down at season's end due to health concerns. And the chatter says it's even more likely if the Heels win it all this year.

Something to keep an eye on...
Exactly what I have been hearing too HS.

That we are getting similar information from likely different sources...

Where there is smoke...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote: North Carolina is about to get sanctioned.
Are they? They are the equivalent of USC football.

I bet they get a slap on the wrist and the world moves on.

That has me concerned.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Miller would leave 6M on the table to leave in April, have to think that would give him pause.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I want Archie to UNC. It would be awesome for him and us.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i want the death penalty for unc. it would be awesome for CSM and us. too bad it'll never happen, but maybe even losing a few schollies and a postseason or two could sour a possible deal just enough...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I want Archie to UNC. It would be awesome for him and us.
Would never happen. They're either hiring a Tar Heel or a very distinguished outsider.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:i want the death penalty for unc. it would be awesome for CSM and us. too bad it'll never happen, but maybe even losing a few schollies and a postseason or two could sour a possible deal just enough...
Zero chance.

I'm not 100% they'll get sanctioned at all.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, i'm trying to keep my expectations in check re: death penalty, but no sanctions at all would be a fucking travesty
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm not going to go dig up all the paperwork again, but NC isn't getting in any kind of real trouble with the NCAA.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dirtbags wrote:i want the death penalty for unc. it would be awesome for CSM and us. too bad it'll never happen, but maybe even losing a few schollies and a postseason or two could sour a possible deal just enough...

Or make the three year transition till start winning again palatable enough.

UNC is THAT type of job for the world of college BB. only UK and KU can rival.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:I'm not going to go dig up all the paperwork again, but NC isn't getting in any kind of real trouble with the NCAA.
This.

UNC admin did just enough with hiring outside "independent" investigators and internal reviews to make the NCAA gloss over the fact that their AD was a train wreak and diploma mill.

FRT I was on their campus 3x weekly teaching/attending when this was all going down.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Even if they got sanctions it would be minimal. Just like USC football, that job would still be a destination job and any top level coach would still want it. And because of the sanctions they would have longer leashes and given more time to win because they have sanctions as a valid excuse. The win immediately and compete at a high level would be gone.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:Even if they got sanctions it would be minimal. Just like USC football, that job would still be a destination job and any top level coach would still want it. And because of the sanctions they would have longer leashes and given more time to win because they have sanctions as a valid excuse. The win immediately and compete at a high level would be gone.
yup.

I am very very very scared of UNC and will get to the 11hr scared if UNC wins this thing.

Hence my "Fuck UNC" posts all year. Its a respect thing, and I respect that Sean will be front and center, top of their replacement list.

Sean will get an interview, it will come down to if him and family want it bad enough. If he wants it, its over, IMO.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jesus guys. As if we needed any more one our plate when we are biting our nails down to the cuticle over JJ and Ferguson :lol:
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not that I think Miller is leaving, but I do wonder who would be in the mix as a potential replacement. Archie?

If I was Greg Byrne, the first call I would make is to Archie.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Guys, Pitt fans weren't even excited about Sean Miller. UNC is the best job in basketball, they're setting their sights way higher, whenever they do go looking for another coach.

Coach ain't going anywhere.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Salty wrote:Guys, Pitt fans weren't even excited about Sean Miller. UNC is the best job in basketball, they're setting their sights way higher, whenever they do go looking for another coach.

Coach ain't going anywhere.
:lol: you are the guy who sells an heirloom for a quick buck only to find out it is worth millions later