Schnebly

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Schnebly »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DiehardDave37 wrote::cry:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Really reaching the point where I'm ready for Miller to move on.
One thing I can say is that the program certainly seems snakebit under his watch. Ashley in 2014, a Wisconsin who couldn't miss if it tried in 2015, Ray smith in 2016, Trier, Smith, Parker, and every thing else this year.
Don't over react, I want Miller to stay unless all of these snakebites can be pinned on him.
However, Rounds is good at getting body fat down to 5%, but could he use a refresher course in preventing injuries?
Oh I'm certainly not blaming the snakebites on Miller. It's just amazing how much has occurred to this program under his watch though. Devastating injuries, lack of luck in tournament (I.E. rarely to never play lower seeds in the tourney, the Wisconsin shooting into the ocean fiasco, etc.), impact recruit choosing Australia over us. We just need one damn break already.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:And this season isn't a lost cause at all. Once we get Zo and PJC back I think this team has the goods. Anybody really think we're not undefeated right now if we have Zo and PJC for both games?
I think we beat Butler and Zaga both my double digits with both guys. I just hope we don't get them back too late in regards to chemistry and building resume wins.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Down 5 guys if you count Pitts, who would have been a very useful SR this year.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:Down 5 guys if you count Pitts, who would have been a very useful SR this year.
Actually 7 if you count Pitts. Pitts, PJC, Denny, Trier, Smith, Ferguson, and Simon.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Every program loses players, for a variety of reasons. We're no different.

This is obviously not the team we expected to see on the floor. We were anticipating:

PJC
AT
TF
LM
DR

Bench: RS, KA, KS, CC

Had the above team ever happened, we'd have beaten Gonzaga by 15+ yesterday, and would be heading into Pac play as a legit rival for UCLA.

Turns out, our roster is decimated, and we're now going to be hard pressed just to reach the tourney.

It's a down year. They happen.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Every program loses players, for a variety of reasons. We're no different.

This is obviously not the team we expected to see on the floor. We were anticipating:

PJC
AT
TF
LM
DR

Had the above team ever happened, we'd have beaten Gonzaga by 15+ yesterday, and would be heading into Pac play as a legit rival for UCLA.

Turns out, our roster is decimated, and we're now going to be hard pressed just to reach the tourney.

Please leave
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Every program loses players, for a variety of reasons. We're no different.

PJC
AT
TF
LM
DR

You forgot Rawle and Pinder. And that team would be contending with a healthy Duke squad which, don't kid yourself, will be much better than UCLA if it comes together. (wow, that hurts to say)

Want to bet 1000 that we make the tourney, BC?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I like that bet (with your money DC). 8-)

Cats should be dancing in March. If there's justice for Allonzo in the next week or so,
I'll even guarantee it. :P

Free AT now! Let em play already...jeezzzuss
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PJC
AT
TF
LM
DR

You really, really want a down year, huh?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

HiCat wrote:I like that bet (with your money DC). 8-)

Cats should be dancing in March. If there's justice for Allonzo in the next week or so,

Even better because I'm talking euros. That's like almost 1100 bucks! I'll be rich!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:

Even better because I'm talking euros. That's like almost 1100 bucks! I'll be rich!

Drinks on you then.. right? :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:

How is he ever supposed to pay $2,100? Ok, maybe that isn't the best time for a Dodgeball reference, because it has to be unpacked.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If AT misses the entire season, we are not making the tourney.

And yes, add KP and RA to that ridiculous bench.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If someone were to look at wanting to part ways with Miller merely because he seems to have the worst of luck because he is cursed and that luck will never change, I couldn't be mad at that. But if you take a step back and look at things: Miller is inches on a Jamelle Horne shot and a horrible Nick Johnson offensive foul call (or a Brandon Ashley broken foot) from having two final fours on his resume in seven years at Arizona. Either of those could have been national titles too. To take it a step further, it is very likely you could have made it three in seven if it wasnt for that "are you kidding me" seeding against Wisky (or) Sam Dekker having the game of his life and burying threes off one leg while fading away. Just think about that. Shit happens though and eventually our time will come under Miller. We have discussed the lucky ass roads that everyone else has had, beating bum seeds while we get Wisconsin in back to back years, or running into the wrong team (red hot Uconn team) that ended up winning it all.

I mean think about that. A guy who took over a program in shambles and gets them to the Final Four in his second year, and then returns a couple years later to the final four (and maybe the next year too). Add to the fact that he has been the most consistent recruiter besides Calipari, is pushing the Arizona brand into the NBA again, and is an extremely well-spoken and likeable guy. Is there a better coach in America if Miller did all that? Calipari and Coach K are slime balls and fail on the personality test, plus K is old, so u can scratch them off that list.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:If AT misses the entire season, we are not making the tourney.

Bullshit. Seriously dude, take this bullshit somewhere else. We just hung with the #8 team on a neutral site despite only having 7 scholarship players playing. With PJC playing, that game is decided in the last minute. Gonzaga is a very good team and played a very good game. If they actually played a tested conference schedule that better prepped them for the tournament, I'd give them a really good shot at making a final four.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If AT misses the entire season, we are not making the tourney.

Bullshit. Seriously dude, take this bullshit somewhere else. We just hung with the #8 team on a neutral site despite only having 7 scholarship players playing. With PJC playing, that game is decided in the last minute. Gonzaga is a very good team and played a very good game. If they actually played a tested conference schedule that better prepped them for the tournament, I'd give them a really good shot at making a final four.
BC is comical at this point. 2 close, neutral floor losses to top 20 teams, both short handed and the zky is falling.

I can understand being disappointed in losing to Zaga. I cannot understand being surprised by it. Facing a top ten team down two starters...well, how exactly was it supposed to go?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The thing that encourages me is despite being devastated by injury and other personnel loss, we played a very good Gonzaga team pretty even after an initial punch while still trying to figure out the PG situation for the interim and with Kobi having maybe the worst shooting game he is going to have as a Wildcat.

The fight was there. And we had two distinct runs at that lead, most notably mid 1st half, where just season's average free throw shooting would have put us in touch and a lot of pressure on the Zags. If it was late half or 2nd half, I would say dead legs led to missed FTs, but these were in the run of play early enough in the game for that not to be the reason. Even without the FTs, what it meant was we took a 5-6 3-pt punch early and not only threw together stops, but got fouled at the other end. Usually, that will be incredibly beneficial. In this case, Gonzaga is deeper than most teams and the foul trouble didn't really cause damage, and then we missed far too many free throws.

We made another run in the 2nd half. It was one of those games where you felt like if it had 45 minutes, we might win. Of course, that isn't the way it is, and no telling what would have happened. But I was not nearly as disappointed by the game by the end as I thought I would be 15 minutes in.

And the bonus is we still will get PJC back, and while he is gone will get Kobi more experience at the point and Kadeem more run at the point (he did both last year, but was not in a position where he was THE point), and we are going to get Trier back. And Markkanen will not have that game again. And we have a very young core that will improve all year.

Bilas said it, and I agree...we will be a much better team in March. I think we are a better team today for it. That is a very good Gonzaga team, and they beat us by a reasonable margin on a neutral site the first game after losing our starting point after losing so much in the run up to the season.

If anything, I would say Miller's refusal to panic and start changing everything is why we have shown capacity to come back in games. This is a young team. You cannot just hit the Y button and run a different defense. There are three contributors who are just barely holding on with all they've had to learn already. You can't make wholesale changes in scheme, defense, and philosophy. And I have said the same as RGDeuce above, and concur with what he says...what Miller has done with what he was faced with deserves so much more credit than it gets against the backdrop of Lute's Greatest Hits (which, of course, leaves out all the album filler from years like 87, 92, 93, 95, etc). Three Elite Eights in 5 years. Last year...c'mon. It was saddled with the One and Done reality of having a patched together roster with one year transfers which is always a chemistry hit, then add a teammate sexually assaulting another's sister? It isn't hard to figure out last year was a lost year. I see effort this year that tells me we aren't going anywhere. Yeah, UCLA is better than us right now. And maybe Oregon. Cal and Arizona are, with current roster, probably the battle for 3rd. But missing the tournament? That's just ridiculous...unless more happens.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

az91 wrote: Wasn't last year a down year? I'm not quite at the point where I would want Miller to move on, but I think after two disappointing seasons in a row, it is critical for him to turn things around during the 2017 season.
Last year was a down year and we still were a 6 seed (underseeded) in the tournament, won 25 games and finished third in the Pac 12 to an Oregon team that was final four good and a very good Utah team. Remember when Kentucky finished 21-12 in a garbage SEC and went to the NIT despite having the #1 class? They lost Nerlens Noel, but we have been down Zeus, PJC, Smith (twice), Trier (twice), etc. The next year Kentucky had a team with Cauley-Stein, the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Pythress, Randle and James Young and they tied with Georgia for second in the SEC and had 11 losses. That team ended up figuring things out late and going to the final four. But we have already written this season off right?
Hank of sb wrote: I am always ready for a change. Sean Miller, a person I, also, have rooted for reminds me of a strict dad who coddles his daughters but figuratively strangles his only son by being much to tough. Sean is stubborn and with the criticism that is sure to come, I see Sean digging in, being yet more defensive minded, more herky jerky in the games, more of the same to come.

It's a mystery. After all, he was a point guard.

But I doubt he will ever change.

I don't see any offense in the guy.

I see continued frustration on building a full (and real) team. Too much drama. Ayton and his 'unqualified status' is next on board.
Miller is stubborn because his players need to learn the pack line and play defense. Over the years he has shown that he can get any team into one of the best defensive teams in the country if there is buy in. Last year was the only exception and that was on the players themselves. No crutches, no BS, learn the system and work hard and we can be elite. The Steelers, Patriots and Spurs are the modern day model organizations in pro sports. All three of those organizations are stubborn from the front office down. There are expectations and if you don't meet them or want to work hard to meet them, there is the door. They don't spend frivolously to take the shortcut to winning. Those TJ McConnell era teams were great because of their defense. Defense is the only thing getting Stanley any minutes with the Pistons, the reason why Rondae and Aaron Gordon are starters in the league, the reason why Solomon Hill got his big contract rather than playing overseas, and it is a huge reason why TJ has a job in the NBA. Curious how a zone would have changed either Wisky game? You don't think Napier saw plenty of zones and wouldnt have cut ours up?

No offense in Miller. Despite missing our stud scorer in Trier for the whole season thus far, Ray Smith the whole year, our starting point guard last game, and having RA and Kobi who are freshmen trying to find themselves, we are 23rd in the nation in adjusted offensive efficiency thus far. In 2016 we were 20th. In 2015 we were 7th. In 2014 we were 20th. In 2013 we were 13th. In 2011 we were 11th. The only stinker was 2012, we all remember how that year went.
EVCat wrote: Bilas said it, and I agree...we will be a much better team in March. I think we are a better team today for it. That is a very good Gonzaga team, and they beat us by a reasonable margin on a neutral site the first game after losing our starting point after losing so much in the run up to the season.
Yep. More than once Bilas verbally complimented this team on their resolve and fight, and more than once said don't judge this team now, they will be different come March.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

All this negativity is depressing...Don't get me wrong, I am truly having a hard time coping with what we have had to deal with thus far so early into our season. Let us not forget, we are only 8 games in with two losses to two tournament teams by a total of 11 points. We are fighting through adversity and challenging every team with resolve and heart. I like this team, a lot. I'll like this team even more if and when we get AT back and have some signs of consistent health. We will be fine. This team will still have an extended season in March. Out of all of our Final Four teams, no one even considered the '97 team to be the one to win it all. We had great teams before that came up short. I'm in no way saying that we will get to a FF this year, but what I am trying to convey is that it's still early and in College basketball, anything can happen. Bear Down just like our team is doing. After all, that is our Motto.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The whole "Miller isn't good at offense" talking point is one I don't see at all.

I think it may just be a reaction to a slower tempo, because the stats don't bear it out. We're pretty high up in offenisve efficiency despite having shot the 3 really poorly in some games. You can be a good offensive team without running and gunning.

Plus, running and gunning with a 7 man roster including only 3 perimeter players might be the worst idea I've ever heard. We're having to play Keanu at the 3, and he isn't quite the guy you want creating in the open court.

Miller's defensive philopsphy is to work on our bread and butter to perfect it. It has given us the best defensive teams this school has ever has. I don't know how else to say it.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

PJC
AT
TF
LM
DR

He's a front runner. Always been one
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

PJC
AT
TF
LM
DR

He's a front runner. Always been one
The down year talk reminds me of Kentucky having a down year with Randle, struggling to reach the tourney, then going to the Final Four. They had a down year, right up until they didn't.

I'm not saying we will make that run, but that is why you keep playing. That, and the year it set KY up for the next year when almost everyone came back and they almost went undefeated.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's not a down year. Everything is looking great!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's not a down year. Everything is looking great!
There's a billion degrees between this and we will be lucky to make the tournament.

I think we get that you are a long play troll on this shit. I don't get what it is you get out of it...but I don't get what straight trolls get out of it either. Such a weird place to be, getting satisfaction out of negative attention. It speaks, perhaps, to childhood trauma?

But to the actual point at hand, this has been, thus far, a down year due to injury and player loss. This team, as currently standing, is a tournament team, and by a pretty significant margin (a 6 or 7 seed at worst). This team, with Trier and PJC back, is a team that can challenge for a PAC 12 title if still in reach when they return, and will enter March as a top 10-12 team in the country. Unless more bad shit happens.

I get the sarcastic comment is more of your troll, but generally, there has to be something to troll. RiseNFire has created a completely alternate universe to frame his rants. But you try your troll within the confines of the actual situation, which just doesn't work. It's like waking up and saying "the sun didn't rise" and hoping for some fireworks...
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

EVCat wrote:
There's a billion degrees between this and we will be lucky to make the tournament.

I think we get that you are a long play troll on this shit. I don't get what it is you get out of it...but I don't get what straight trolls get out of it either. Such a weird place to be, getting satisfaction out of negative attention. It speaks, perhaps, to childhood trauma?

But to the actual point at hand, this has been, thus far, a down year due to injury and player loss. This team, as currently standing, is a tournament team, and by a pretty significant margin (a 6 or 7 seed at worst). This team, with Trier and PJC back, is a team that can challenge for a PAC 12 title if still in reach when they return, and will enter March as a top 10-12 team in the country. Unless more bad shit happens.

I get the sarcastic comment is more of your troll, but generally, there has to be something to troll. RiseNFire has created a completely alternate universe to frame his rants. But you try your troll within the confines of the actual situation, which just doesn't work. It's like waking up and saying "the sun didn't rise" and hoping for some fireworks...

Hahaha this is starting to get deep...This is not a down year. We are 8 games in. Everyone chill
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Hahaha this is starting to get deep...This is not a down year. We are 8 games in. Everyone chill
It's not the actual record. It's the broken record.

And, yeah, we are down from where we hoped to be with the losses to Butler and Gonzaga. But there are good reasons for it, reasons that can be fixed. 8 games is a quarter of a season, and is significant for seeding and all that. Can't pretend this is peachy and smiles and unicorns...but the reason this has happened is pretty clearly a loss of personnel that appears to be something that will fix itself.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So we are taking beach seriously now?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hank of sb wrote:
gumby wrote:Imagine Gonzaga without best Pg (Wlliams-Goss), 6-8 forward (Williams) and best scoring guard (Matthews) and staying within 7 of a fully manned Arizona team. They accounted for 30 points yesterday.

Starters would be: Perkins, Melson, Tillie, Collins, Karnowski.
I'd never say your view (or point) is wrong.

But Gonzaga had it's bad luck last year. When I watched that game yesterday I said to myself: Wow, what a fabulously coached team. (Until yesterday, I had no idea Mark Few had it that much together as a coach.) Gonzaga reminded me of Aaron Gordon's team at Arizona when Miller was younger and his troops were fully bought in to a system which matched, crucially, the personnel on hand.

To Longhorned's point (or maybe its mine), I don't think Miller can adjust his personnel to what he actually has on the bench. I believe it's possible if Miller found he had an offensive juggernaut sitting on his bench, but a team, also, lacking in defensive acumen, he'd wouldn't know what to do.

Indeed, I think SM would continue pounding the square peg into the round hole.

Even harder.
That describes an awfully incompetent coach. So, time for a new coach?
Right where I want to be.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

EVCat wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
It's not the actual record. It's the broken record.

And, yeah, we are down from where we hoped to be with the losses to Butler and Gonzaga. But there are good reasons for it, reasons that can be fixed. 8 games is a quarter of a season, and is significant for seeding and all that. Can't pretend this is peachy and smiles and unicorns...but the reason this has happened is pretty clearly a loss of personnel that appears to be something that will fix itself.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about seeding right now. It's December...Syracuse should not have made it to the tournament last year and was a FF team...It's not about how you play in December, it's how you play in March. The two losses are nothing more than a mere blemish considering what the team went through over that period of the season. You know that, I know that, the tournament committee will know that. And though i don't disagree with you in the sense that we all had higher expectations coming into the season, I still think that the story on this season has yet to be completed. People need to stop getting off on being negative. I've said this before, I've seen teams with far more troubling circumstances early in the year, do damage in March. If we are still having these issues come Conference play, then we should be prepared press eject on the season, but until then, lets just stay positive, for fucks sake. P.S Neither Butler nor Gonzaga are scrub teams, both will be tourney teams come March.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We're down our leading returning scorer and starting PG. We're 6-2 with both losses to top 20 teams.

How else did you see this going?

Also, this isn't the Tour De France. We lost to Gonzaga, but we do not start the next game behind. We do not carry losses into a performance when/if Trier and PJC return. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
We're down our leading returning scorer and starting PG. We're 6-2 with both losses to top 20 teams.

How else did you see this going?

Also, this isn't the Tour De France. We lost to Gonzaga, but we do not start the next game behind. We do not carry losses into a performance when/if Trier and PJC return. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.
Probably the only logical person on this feed..Thank you Spiff
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: The down year talk reminds me of Kentucky having a down year with Randle, struggling to reach the tourney, then going to the Final Four. They had a down year, right up until they didn't.

I'm not saying we will make that run, but that is why you keep playing. That, and the year it set KY up for the next year when almost everyone came back and they almost went undefeated.
Exact example that I gave above. They didnt even make the NCAA tournament the year before that too. I just cant even get a lot of this defeatism. We got spoiled as hell with the TJ teams and expect cake walks to the tournament and a cake wake to the final four as long as Kaminsky isnt around?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: The down year talk reminds me of Kentucky having a down year with Randle, struggling to reach the tourney, then going to the Final Four. They had a down year, right up until they didn't.

Exact example that I gave above. They didnt even make the NCAA tournament the year before that too. I just cant even get a lot of this defeatism. We got spoiled as hell with the TJ teams and expect cake walks to the tournament and a cake wake to the final four as long as Kaminsky isnt around?
Sorry, I think I skimmed your posts because they were too calm and well reasoned.

Adversity happens, and there's nothing about our current roster situation that doesn't mark this as a likely candidate for a time of adversity. This freakout, well, CBB is only the least linear sport in the major sports. UConn's recent title teams, Butler in the FF, VCU and George Mason. We're losing it because less than 10 games in, we don't look like a title contender while shorthanded.
gumby

Post by gumby »

When are you going to break out of your slump?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg, I can always count on you for a laugh. Thanks for playing along.

BC97, you're totally deranged. FOUR scholarship players out, and we've barely lost to two top 20 programs. How can you proclaim that this is a disappointing season already? What on earth were your expectations?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's poetic that we started the season honoring the USS Arizona. There are some people around here that would have been posting "it's ok, when it comes to world wars, you win some and lose some" right after Pearl Harbor.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's poetic that we started the season honoring the USS Arizona. There are some people around here that would have been posting "it's ok, when it comes to world wars, you win some and lose some" right after Pearl Harbor.
Konichiwa Beachcat!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about seeding right now. It's December...Syracuse should not have made it to the tournament last year and was a FF team...It's not about how you play in December, it's how you play in March. The two losses are nothing more than a mere blemish considering what the team went through over that period of the season. You know that, I know that, the tournament committee will know that. And though i don't disagree with you in the sense that we all had higher expectations coming into the season, I still think that the story on this season has yet to be completed. People need to stop getting off on being negative. I've said this before, I've seen teams with far more troubling circumstances early in the year, do damage in March. If we are still having these issues come Conference play, then we should be prepared press eject on the season, but until then, lets just stay positive, for fucks sake. P.S Neither Butler nor Gonzaga are scrub teams, both will be tourney teams come March.
I'm not down on this season at all. In fact, I have mentioned numerous times I think this team has shown amazing fight for being short handed, and this whole sub-conversation is generated by my reaction to that kind of negative talk. The season has been a bummer, because I would rather we were full strength and rolling people and these games will affect seeding. But I am not down on what we are doing at all...in fact, I think it is pretty amazing given the blows we have been handed. We have a strong core with a lot of fight...and when we can add back what should have been there all along, we will be very tough.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:I'm not down on this season at all.
Me neither. Not even a little. We're right where we want to be!
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

gumby wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
gumby wrote:Imagine Gonzaga without best Pg (Wlliams-Goss), 6-8 forward (Williams) and best scoring guard (Matthews) and staying within 7 of a fully manned Arizona team. They accounted for 30 points yesterday.

But Gonzaga had it's bad luck last year. When I watched that game yesterday I said to myself: Wow, what a fabulously coached team. (Until yesterday, I had no idea Mark Few had it that much together as a coach.) Gonzaga reminded me of Aaron Gordon's team at Arizona when Miller was younger and his troops were fully bought in to a system which matched, crucially, the personnel on hand.

To Longhorned's point (or maybe its mine), I don't think Miller can adjust his personnel to what he actually has on the bench. I believe it's possible if Miller found he had an offensive juggernaut sitting on his bench, but a team, also, lacking in defensive acumen, he'd wouldn't know what to do.

Even harder.
I think the insistence of going with a packline, w/o a Gordon or Rondae on the bench mind you, is too much to ask.

In my example, Coach has a group of young studs who must walk the plank (understand/get/practice the packline) before they get to practice offense. Understanding the packline is apparently hard, even harder if the personnel is not right.

As for offense, I have to ask: Does Miller even have an offense, a real one? Or is Miller's offense along the lines that "defense creates offense?" So lets practice 'offense' today guys, Miller says. Which means lets practice the packline.....some more!

I have never seen half-court sets, I have never seen anything approaching a Lute-style motion. There seem to have been few to zero fast-breaks. Just a lot of lumbering to the other end; a lot of waiting till the ball arrives.

Hence, as its been said before, Miller is one-dimensional, ridiculously stubborn, all the while providing a tedious product for our TV viewing.

Like last year.

Why would a 5* want to come here?

If Ayton does not qualify, the walls might well come down.

But "incompetent?" Not the right word.

That said, I've almost seen enough.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hank of sb wrote:
gumby wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Even harder.
I think the insistence of going with a packline, w/o a Gordon or Rondae on the bench mind you, is too much to ask.

In my example, Coach has a group of young studs who must walk the plank (understand/get/practice the packline) before they get to practice offense. Understanding the packline is apparently hard, even harder if the personnel is not right.

As for offense, I have to ask: Does Miller even have an offense, a real one? Or is Miller's offense along the lines that "defense creates offense?" So lets practice 'offense' today guys, Miller says. Which means lets practice the packline.....some more!

I have never seen half-court sets, I have never seen anything approaching a Lute-style motion. There seem to have been few to zero fast-breaks. Just a lot of lumbering to the other end; a lot of waiting till the ball arrives.

Hence, as its been said before, Miller is one-dimensional, ridiculously stubborn, all the while providing a tedious product for our TV viewing.

Like last year.

you do realize that we've consistently been in the top 10% of offenses nationally since Miller got here right?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I really wish Hank was our coach. His genius could be better served than shouting at the TV and posting on a message board.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hank of sb wrote:
gumby wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Even harder.

Like last year.

I'll mark that down as a yes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hank of sb wrote: Why would a 5* want to come here?
Make millions of dollars in the NBA?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller's offense -- motion/passing game -- is typical of most teams now. Set plays easier to take away as season goes along.

He discusses it here.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2011/12/15 ... on-offense" target="_blank
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
gumby wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Even harder.

Like last year.

you do realize that we've consistently been in the top 10% of offenses nationally since Miller got here right?
I read that all the time.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Merkin wrote:
Hank of sb wrote: Why would a 5* want to come here?
Make millions of dollars in the NBA?
5* can go almost wherever they wish.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Olsondogg wrote:I really wish Hank was our coach. His genius could be better served than shouting at the TV and posting on a message board.
Fans are allowed to grouse.

Gonzaga's ball movement was a thing a beauty. Around the horn. Then still another pass before a bullet pass to someone sitting all alone under the net. I think it happened twice.

That kind of stuff for Arizona seems like three years ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I really wish Hank was our coach. His genius could be better served than shouting at the TV and posting on a message board.
Fans are allowed to grouse.

Gonzaga's ball movement was a thing a beauty. Around the horn. Then still another pass before a bullet pass to someone sitting all alone under the net. I think it happened twice.

That kind of stuff for Arizona seems like three years ago.
Really it was one game ago, but who's counting?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?