Duke

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrMeow

Re: Duke

Post by MrMeow »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If we can't joke about Trump outside a politics board, then we're all in trouble.
Is it that because people who oppose your view of him stay away from the politics board so you feel the need to look for opposition?

Ok, I give up.....go ahead and belittle, joke about, attack the next President all you want. I'm done asking people politely to do otherwise.
It's because not being able to joke about Trump is even worse than refraining from talking about him in all kinds of situations where we used to consider mention of politics impolite. Acting like these are normal times with normal political and partisan disagreements ended when the US intelligence community concluded that Russia interfered with the presidential election, and the president-elect who had called for Russian hacking bashed the CIA to defend Russia. Even with that alone, honoring the request to respect Trump on a sport message board would be dangerous normalizing and appeal to false equivalency of the worst kind.
Hey Longhorned, I hear you and respect you enough that I owe you an answer....I'm going to break my own rule and talk politics outside its sandbox one time them I'm done.

A few premises from me though:

1. I'm not a yuuuuge (you see, I do have a sense of humor, lol) Trump supporter (although I very much admire his taste in Babes ;-) ). He has a big mouth and sometimes spews some New York 'in your face' garbage that isn't wise.....BUT, the fact that he's not some seasoned slick willy lying career politician is an appeal to me.

2. I'm a fiscal conservative (my Dad taught me about fiscal responsibility at a young age and that's why I hate big government and their incompetent spendthrift practices) but very moderate social values guy....pro-choice, pro gun control, big LGBT supporter (especially gay marriage rights) as they have every right to be as unhappy as the rest of us! Ha ha

3. Living overseas, with a corrupt police force, under military rule and being a foreigner who MUST abide by the immigration rules here gives me a very strong opinion and support for American Police (Blue Lives Matter....they matter to everyone as when the shit hits the fan, everyone calls 911!....you can't do that here as they are just another gang to shake you down in many cases) and American Democracy.

4. I'm a moderate Republican but haven't liked a lot of my choices much lately....

5. I hate how unfair / corrupt the MSM (Mainstream Media) is. I don't think anyone who is impartial can see how liberal, left-leaning the MSM is. Many of their Senior Personnel have Democratic ties and marriages. It's unbelievable how intellectually dishonest a lot of them are when they disguise 'commentating' as 'reporting'

Ok then back to Longhorned assertions on Russia hacking influences on the election. Trump was wrong to comment that they didn't....he shot his mouth off too early and I would be surprised if he still feels that way (he may be too stubborn to admit it) but I don't think they decided the election though. Hillary's and the DNC's corruption did.

They hacked the RNC too but there weren't any bombshells like Donna Brazille giving Hillary campaign debate questions beforehand, the DNC screwing Bernie Sanders over, Politico Reporters seeking approval from Podesta on stories before they publish, etc.

Hell, this was another problem of Hillary using her own private server as Secretary of State in violation of Obama's own orders / policy! It's widely assumed that she was hacked by multiple governments.

If I was a Democrat, I'd be more pissed at the corruption of the DNC and how they screwed Sanders over than the fact that all governments are spying on each other. Strong Cyber Security is just the norm these days....blaming the Russians for exposing corruption is a bit silly IMHO.

Ok, done....like I told dirtbags, I won't complain anymore if you guys feel the need to get political in the Hoops forums. I'd much rather spend my time bashing that prick Grayson Allen instead.

Apologies to anyone else for this thread hijack...won't happen again.

Bear Down and Happy Holidays!
Thank God ... because you have not only violated your own proclamation about political comment on this board ad nauseam, but you have that poor horse you didn't want to beat about dead. You are transparent to the max: your admonition of Merkin's joke had nothing to do with it being political in nature, and everything to do with your own political views. Happy you decided to STFU.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's a testament to the divisive power of this election that it can even drive a wedge into hatred of Duke, which should be the most unifying thing on this or pretty much any other CBB board.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's a testament to the divisive power of this election that it can even drive a wedge into hatred of Duke, which should be the most unifying thing in the known universe.
Had to tweak your post slightly
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My wife sat next to K in church once and didn't do anything about it.

I wonder what this tells me about my wife...
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

So how serious do you think Coach K is about the suspension? I'm guessing it's 3-5 games....just didn't seem that he was all that upset about it and maybe it was preventative or ward off any ACC move. Allen's behavior surely couldn't have been that much of a surprise.

Wonder if the ACC will do anything as well...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So how serious do you think Coach K is about the suspension? I'm guessing it's 3-5 games....just didn't seem that he was all that upset about it and maybe it was preventative or ward off any ACC move. Allen's behavior surely couldn't have been that much of a surprise.

Will not be 3-5

I'm guessing he will miss 1 start.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Alieberman wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So how serious do you think Coach K is about the suspension? I'm guessing it's 3-5 games....just didn't seem that he was all that upset about it and maybe it was preventative or ward off any ACC move. Allen's behavior surely couldn't have been that much of a surprise.

Will not be 3-5

I'm guessing he will miss 1 start.
Agreed. He will miss the rest of the games for the rest of the 2016 calendar year. :o

It's a shame one must endure such harsh penalties.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's a testament to the divisive power of this election that it can even drive a wedge into hatred of Duke, which should be the most unifying thing in the known universe.
Had to tweak your post slightly
That's fair.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Now #1 on the list of all-time hated Dukies. The list omits K, by the way. Wrong!

1. Grayson Allen, 2014-present

Duke Blue Devils guard Grayson Allen #3 reacts after scoring a three point shot against the Grand Canyon Lopes in the first half of their game at Cameron Indoor Stadium.© Mark Dolejs/USA TODAY Sports Duke Blue Devils guard Grayson Allen #3 reacts after scoring a three point shot against the Grand Canyon Lopes in the first half of their game at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Allen does all the things that grate on people about Duke players. Announcers laud his hustle after he t̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶s̶ flops (sometimes twice in the same play). He has been known to get very favorable treatment from officials, more than a few times. He's been spotted demonstratively whining when he does not get that treatment. Tripping has hardly been his most dangerous foul. In last year's NCAA Tournament, he said "Thanks, but no thanks" to Dillon Brooks of Oregon's awkward attempt at a postgame hug/handshake when the Ducks eliminated Duke. It also doesn't not help that he is a younger clone of Texas senator Ted Cruz, who through much of his presidential campaign, embraced how much he is disliked among his peers in Congress.

And like we mentioned earlier, the coup d'état are his now three instances of purposely tripping opponents. He endeared himself a bit by taking ownership of the first two in preseason interviews, but it rings hollow after Wednesday's incident. And the derisive glee with which much of America watched his sideline tantrum fueled by self-anger only cements it: No Duke player has ever been hated as much as Allen, and unlike some of the guys on this list, most of it is deserved.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not to be too Christmasy about the whole thing, but the proof is in the pudding. If it's just something like three games or less, then everyone in America will have yet more reason to hate Duke.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man he is one trollish looking dude.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Man he is one trollish looking dude.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrMeow wrote:Now #1 on the list of all-time hated Dukies. The list omits K, by the way. Wrong!

Duke Blue Devils guard Grayson Allen #3 reacts after scoring a three point shot against the Grand Canyon Lopes in the first half of their game at Cameron Indoor Stadium.© Mark Dolejs/USA TODAY Sports Duke Blue Devils guard Grayson Allen #3 reacts after scoring a three point shot against the Grand Canyon Lopes in the first half of their game at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Allen does all the things that grate on people about Duke players. Announcers laud his hustle after he t̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶s̶ flops (sometimes twice in the same play). He has been known to get very favorable treatment from officials, more than a few times. He's been spotted demonstratively whining when he does not get that treatment. Tripping has hardly been his most dangerous foul. In last year's NCAA Tournament, he said "Thanks, but no thanks" to Dillon Brooks of Oregon's awkward attempt at a postgame hug/handshake when the Ducks eliminated Duke. It also doesn't not help that he is a younger clone of Texas senator Ted Cruz, who through much of his presidential campaign, embraced how much he is disliked among his peers in Congress.

And like we mentioned earlier, the coup d'état are his now three instances of purposely tripping opponents. He endeared himself a bit by taking ownership of the first two in preseason interviews, but it rings hollow after Wednesday's incident. And the derisive glee with which much of America watched his sideline tantrum fueled by self-anger only cements it: No Duke player has ever been hated as much as Allen, and unlike some of the guys on this list, most of it is deserved.
No one will ever touch Laettner. He checks all the boxes.

-Being a jackass to opponents (chest stomping being the best example)
-Receiving undue benefits (seriously, how do you explain to your children that Laettner was the selection for the Dream Team instead of Shaq, Webber, etc?)
-Pretending to be gay for notoriety (this one is pretty self explanatory)
-Consistently behaving like a spoiled brat (books about the Dream Team are pretty hilarious on this point. Apparently, Laettner was used to kid gloves, and Charles Barkely and Karl Malone weren't exactly prepared to treat him like that, so he sulked the entire time in Barcelona)
-Originating it all. The hate of Duke really sprung from the teams he and Hurley spearheaded. Without those back to back rings, a lot of this never even happens.

Grayson Allen is strong, but he's more on that second tier of JJ/Hurley, and I'm not sure if he's there yet. JJ's outspoken Christianity while making women sign abortion contracts is hard to contend with, and Hurley has been a public whiny face for near 30 years and now coaches ASU.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Now #1 on the list of all-time hated Dukies. The list omits K, by the way. Wrong!

No one will ever touch Laettner. He checks all the boxes.

-Being a jackass to opponents (chest stomping being the best example)
-Receiving undue benefits (seriously, how do you explain to your children that Laettner was the selection for the Dream Team instead of Shaq, Webber, etc?)
-Pretending to be gay for notoriety (this one is pretty self explanatory)
-Consistently behaving like a spoiled brat (books about the Dream Team are pretty hilarious on this point. Apparently, Laettner was used to kid gloves, and Charles Barkely and Karl Malone weren't exactly prepared to treat him like that, so he sulked the entire time in Barcelona)
-Originating it all. The hate of Duke really sprung from the teams he and Hurley spearheaded. Without those back to back rings, a lot of this never even happens.

Grayson Allen is strong, but he's more on that second tier of JJ/Hurley, and I'm not sure if he's there yet. JJ's outspoken Christianity while making women sign abortion contracts is hard to contend with, and Hurley has been a public whiny face for near 30 years and now coaches ASU.
I can't argue with that. Funny how K doesn't seem to give a rat's ass (pun intended) about how much he, his program, and a long line of individual players are hated nationally. It's not even hidden. It's a popular topic. A complete tribe of dicks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My personal ranking of Duke players and hateability:

1. Laettner. The guy who set the standard.

Gap.

Tier 2: JJ, Hurley and Grayson Allen. I could put Allen into tier 3, but he won a NC and keeps intentionally tripping people then acting like a giant baby about getting caught.

Tier 3: These are he guys who just grate. Paulus, Wojo, Cherokee Parks, and our first injection of racial diversity, Carlos Boozer.

Tier 4: Guys you don't want to like because they went to Duke, but you can't really put a finger on why you should actually hate them. Singler, Scheyer, Thomas Hill (although the crying after Laettner's shot...), Dunleavy, the Plumlees.

Tier 5: Guys you kind of like even though they went to Duke. Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Kyrie Irving.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Tier 5. Dawkins, Bilas?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Laettner and Bilas actually aren't so bad now as color guys, although Laettner was the biggest prick as a player.

Sure hated them as Dukies.

Don't have any hate for Dunleavy. He was just totally hot, and UA could not cover him. Don't remember him being a floor pounder like Wojo.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My personal ranking of Duke players and hateability:

Tier 4: Guys you don't want to like because they went to Duke, but you can't really put a finger on why you should actually hate them. Singler, Scheyer, Thomas Hill (although the crying after Laettner's shot...), Dunleavy, the Plumlees.

Dunleavy should be higher. He, Zach Randolph, and the refs are the reason Lute didn't get the championship he deserved for Bobbie.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Dunleavy should be higher. He, Zach Randolph, and the refs are the reason Lute didn't get the championship he deserved for Bobbie.
It makes me laugh that this post is directly next to a post saying Dunleavy should be lower. Dunleavy, the controversial guy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Duke is just another 4 letter word for cunt
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Man he is one trollish looking dude.

OMG Merkin, that IS funny! Is he Cruz's love child? The physical resemblance is uncanny....as well as their unlikability. Lol.
Bangkok Wildcat

CalStateTempe wrote:My wife sat next to K in church once and didn't do anything about it.

I wonder what this tells me about my wife...
Just glad she didn't burst into flames CST! ;-)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merry Christmas, let's start a new arms race on twitter!
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Gap.

Tier 2: JJ, Hurley and Grayson Allen. I could put Allen into tier 3, but he won a NC and keeps intentionally tripping people then acting like a giant baby about getting caught.

Tier 3: These are he guys who just grate. Paulus, Wojo, Cherokee Parks, and our first injection of racial diversity, Carlos Boozer.

Tier 5: Guys you kind of like even though they went to Duke. Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Kyrie Irving.
You forgot Jayson Williams who was easily a tier 3 guy, probably a tier 2 guy in my book. Maybe just because I was in school the years he was as well. And, well, revisiting the pictures of him jumping over the back of Gardner in the NC game will always piss me off. He was way worse than Boozer though.
Bangkok Wildcat

KOQSTRONG wrote:

Gap.

You forgot Jayson Williams who was easily a tier 3 guy, probably a tier 2 guy in my book. Maybe just because I was in school the years he was as well. And, well, revisiting the pictures of him jumping over the back of Gardner in the NC game will always piss me off. He was way worse than Boozer though.
Great call Koqstrong!!!!....I was actually back living in the US (Dallas) during a 4 year period that covered this game so I got to see it on tv. Absolutely disgusting that the refs swallowed their whistles on that and I think that could have decided the game as I recall Jwill would have been in foul trouble too?

Drove down to the Regionals with my KU cousin and got to watch us beat up on Illinois and KU lose to MSU....he was so butt-hurt on the loss that he insisted on driving us back (his car) and I missed the US-MSU game!!! Year another personal beef I have with KU, lol.

Also a 'thank you' to MSU's Jason 'I'm a brick wall' Richardson for dislocating Gilbert Arenas's shoulder in the game prior (another game changer) and to Mike Dunleavy for shooting 'lights out' from 3.

What makes it the most painful was that season was for Bobbi and it would have been 'Hallmark Movie of the week' material if we could have brought back the trophy for that special lady.

Still, the most egregious of all was the refs ass-kissing of Jwill.....I know I'm biased but would love to have heard what an impartial observer would have said of that.....heart-breaking stuff.

Fuel for Duke hatred isn't likely to run out anytime soon ;-)
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lol Duke.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:I'm guessing he's back for FSU. Three games makes it look like K is taking this seriously and is genuinely punishing a kid who just may be a psychopath.

If they lose to VT, expect K to have a fainting spell or back pain in the 2nd half so the loss goes on the record of one of his assistants.
Now that they've lost to VT I fully expect Allen to be back for the next game . . . and for pollsters to totally ignore this result since he was out. In fact, they might move up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ESPN is treating Grayson Allen like he is Michael Jordan.

Am I a racist if I hate all white guys from Duke?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:ESPN is treating Grayson Allen like he is Michael Jordan.

I'm going to allow it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Sports enter was a complete joke this morning. I was hoping to see some Cats highlights. Instead, I was given more reasons why I no longer watch sportscenter or any other ESPN commentary/"news" program. All they did was talk about Duke and Allen.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Check as appropriate:

___Asian
___Black
___White
___White non-Latino
___White guy from Duke

It does make a difference.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Frybry02 wrote:

Sports enter was a complete joke this morning. I was hoping to see some Cats highlights. Instead, I was given more reasons why I no longer watch sportscenter or any other ESPN commentary/"news" program. All they did was talk about Duke and Allen.
Maybe some day they will figure out that these are the reasons they are dropping subscribers like flies.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fuck Dook
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Olsondogg wrote:Fuck Dook
In the ass....dry
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Mindblowing.

He's forced to suspend Grayson...loses his next game...straight to back surgery.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sure feel sorry for Capel, he may be the next Pete Gaudet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Main Event wrote:
Holy shit, I sort of called it....
Chicat wrote:If they lose to VT, expect K to have a fainting spell or back pain in the 2nd half so the loss goes on the record of one of his assistants.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I wonder if the rat will be retiring anytime soon given his recent health problems.

Can you imagine the slob fest when that happens?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:I wonder if the rat will be retiring anytime soon given his recent health problems.

Can you imagine the slob fest when that happens?
Enjoy watching ESPN-K for a week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
He must have slipped a disc while pulling that fast 180 on Grayson Allen. There's a lot of torque when you double back that fast.
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Lose their best player, get pummeled by 14 against a mediocre VT team and lose their coach for an extended period of time and drop 2-3 spots in rankings. Sounds about right.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The "Duke rule" returns.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Of course they will. They will pave their way to Glendale with games in North Carolina and in the weakest regional.

The knob slobbering and favoritism needs to stop. Have to wonder if the conference asked them what indefinite means since they didn't step in and have to suspend Allen
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They'll take our injury issues into account by shipping us 2000 miles away and fucking us on seeding.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hasn't the NCAA said there won't be any tournaments or championships in NC until the bathroom bill is repealed?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:They'll take our injury issues into account by shipping us 2000 miles away and fucking us on seeding.
The NCAA:

"K's gone!? Oh, no! Is it possible to give Duke a bye into the Elite Eight?"

"Allonzo Trier was out? Let me see if the Selection folks have the world's tiniest violin to play for you? Nope, just a giant sign that says **** you. I've heard Providence is beautiful in March."
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

KOQSTRONG wrote:Lose their best player, get pummeled by 14 against a mediocre VT team and lose their coach for an extended period of time and drop 2-3 spots in rankings. Sounds about right.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:They'll take our injury issues into account by shipping us 2000 miles away and fucking us on seeding.
The NCAA:

"K's gone!? Oh, no! Is it possible to give Duke a bye into the Elite Eight?"

"Allonzo Trier was out? Let me see if the Selection folks have the world's tiniest violin to play for you? Nope, just a giant sign that says **** you. I've heard Providence is beautiful in March."
Par for the course for Duke and us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote:
:lol: To bad this wasn't against the men's team.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!