UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by CalStateTempe »

And their success appears to mirror our most rocky stretch as a program.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

That 109 SOS really stands out
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Folks may be shoveling dirt on UCLA's grave a bit prematurely. If Alford figures out that he has players who won't (or can't) play man to man defense and shifts to something relatively simple, say a Match Up Zone defense, and sticks to it exclusively the rest of the year they could make some noise come March. I'm not convinced we would have won yesterday if Alford had the brains to throw a 2-3 zone at us the whole game.
prh

Post by prh »

MrBug708 wrote:
prh wrote:So here's what I'm curious about. We provided a pretty good blueprint on beating UCLA. Let Ball get his but eliminate the easy shots for everyone else. Selectively crash the glass. Take easy baskets but slow it down otherwise.

Will other teams beat UCLA now? I feel like you still need the amount of talent that we have on our roster, and that UCLA will be able to outrun teams without that level of talent. What do you guys think?
Utah had the blueprint, they just didn't execute well
I didn't watch that game, would you say Utah has the athletes to run with you guys? They've lost a bunch from last year, but they do still have some nice players. They're actually the perfect example of my thought process-- a well coached team that should be able to game plan, but maybe doesn't quite have the horses.
Longhorned

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:
Zero wrote:So Bug is gonna stick it out at TOS? How about riverside?
I didn't think so. Isn't he here? Riverside will go wherever Bug goes, so I imagine we'll have a lot more UCLA threads, and Arizona threads that become UCLA threads, in our very near future.
It's finally over. Going back to Goazcats, 13 years of anguish.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

prh wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
prh wrote:So here's what I'm curious about. We provided a pretty good blueprint on beating UCLA. Let Ball get his but eliminate the easy shots for everyone else. Selectively crash the glass. Take easy baskets but slow it down otherwise.

Will other teams beat UCLA now? I feel like you still need the amount of talent that we have on our roster, and that UCLA will be able to outrun teams without that level of talent. What do you guys think?
Utah had the blueprint, they just didn't execute well
I didn't watch that game, would you say Utah has the athletes to run with you guys? They've lost a bunch from last year, but they do still have some nice players. They're actually the perfect example of my thought process-- a well coached team that should be able to game plan, but maybe doesn't quite have the horses.
They just couldn't hang because of the players. They are a well coached and disciplined team though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Re-watched the game last night. I think my favorite part of the broadcast was when Raftery was talking about asking Alford if he thought about changing Ball's shot and Alford just laughing in response.

"Hahahahahaha . . . . Me? Coach?? Teach??? . . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:Folks may be shoveling dirt on UCLA's grave a bit prematurely. If Alford figures out that he has players who won't (or can't) play man to man defense and shifts to something relatively simple, say a Match Up Zone defense, and sticks to it exclusively the rest of the year they could make some noise come March. I'm not convinced we would have won yesterday if Alford had the brains to throw a 2-3 zone at us the whole game.
That program is not concerned about that end of the floor. Ditching the M2M 19 games into the season for a zone is a band-aid on a broken leg.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Full game:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Has this not been posted?

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I saw it. "Chugging beer keg"
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
prh

Post by prh »

Reminds me of the good ole Zona Screw (isn't that what is was called before it got killed?). Anyways, while as inaccurate as most of these things, I did get a laugh out of the "human embodiment of caps lock"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That's awesome. If I want to make fun of another school's students, I accuse them of not attending enough lectures.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Braving traffic to head to galen center tonight.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

First time it has been documented that a ucla fan has traveled for a game?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd be more likely to travel to a game in Thailand than face a weeknight game cross-town in Los Angeles. Enjoy it, Bug. I hope you guys win.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Longhorned wrote:I'd be more likely to travel to a game in Thailand than face a weeknight game cross-town in Los Angeles. Enjoy it, Bug. I hope you guys win.
Only traveling to the middle. Westside would be difficult to swing. Calling in some favors with the in-laws for babysitting duty.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'd be more likely to travel to a game in Thailand than face a weeknight game cross-town in Los Angeles. Enjoy it, Bug. I hope you guys win.
Only traveling to the middle. Westside would be difficult to swing. Calling in some favors with the in-laws for babysitting duty.
I am curious to see if UCLA takes the "whole we got play better defense to heart."
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:First time it has been documented that a ucla fan has traveled for a game?
Always have a good number when they play in Tucson, so not a good joke.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

PHXCATS wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:First time it has been documented that a ucla fan has traveled for a game?
Always have a good number when they play in Tucson, so not a good joke.
At this point, it's like watching trump without new talking points.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It's like people don't understand what sarcasm is anymore. It's like talking to Trump supporters.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:It's like people don't understand what sarcasm is anymore. It's like talking to Trump supporters.
Way to dissuade the notion that you can't come up with your own ideas :lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Frybry02 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
I am curious to see if UCLA takes the "whole we got play better defense to heart."
If Alford loses his 4th in a row to SC...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

just a thought/question, is it too much to ask to keep politics in the politics area and the basketball in the basketball area?

if the answer is yes, its too much to ask, i will understand and respect the culture -- more than anything tho im curious how the moderators and rest of the community feel about this?

thx in advance
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Agreed
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:It's like people don't understand what sarcasm is anymore. It's like talking to Trump supporters.
Find another word, like "mark" or "fool" for them. Keep it sports, but we'll still feel ya.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

wyo-cat wrote:
Find another word, like "mark" or "fool" for them. Keep it sports, but we'll still feel ya.
They're all synonyms.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:
Or "impudent" and "impulsive" and "reactive" and "abusive" and "mendacious" and "childish" and "unpresidential" -- we'll all get the reference to he whose name understandably makes too many people too sick to see in print.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

So tired of your constant hate....back to ignore...good riddance.

EDIT: all you do is weaken and divide this board with this incessant political hatred which is way out of topic....congrats on helping to divide loyal UA fans who come here to discuss hoops topics.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:just a thought/question, is it too much to ask to keep politics in the politics area and the basketball in the basketball area?

if the answer is yes, its too much to ask, i will understand and respect the culture -- more than anything tho im curious how the moderators and rest of the community feel about this?

thx in advance
It's not too much to ask.

ASUHATER, please try to keep politics to the lower boards

Thank you
Bangkok Wildcat

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:just a thought/question, is it too much to ask to keep politics in the politics area and the basketball in the basketball area?

thx in advance
It's not too much to ask.

ASUHATER, please try to keep politics to the lower boards

Thank you
Thank you for your comments on this....for the first time since 2002 I was at my wits end and contemplated quitting this board over the constant political hatred, divisive comments, etc......I came back because I saw that it looked like rules were being enforced (i.e. cleaning up the 'f ASU' thread....smh....how a unifying thread like that could get derailed by stupid politics still amazes me.

How come we all can't be just UA hoops fans in these hoops threads? Tired of people with hidden agendas derailing/ distracting my loyal love of UA Hoops!

BTFD!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I came back because I saw that it looked like rules were being enforced (i.e. cleaning up the 'f ASU' thread....smh....how a unifying thread like that could get derailed by stupid politics still amazes me.
It does?! You were the one who made the first post that was completely political!
:lol:

Everyone, keep politics in the politics forum. If you can't you'll be warned. If you continue you'll be temp banned. End of discussion.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Always fascinating that people like Bangkok exist. No self awareness.
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I came back because I saw that it looked like rules were being enforced (i.e. cleaning up the 'f ASU' thread....smh....how a unifying thread like that could get derailed by stupid politics still amazes me.
It does?! You were the one who made the first post that was completely political!

Everyone, keep politics in the politics forum. If you can't you'll be warned. If you continue you'll be temp banned. End of discussion.
Sorry but I respectfully disagree....I reacted to bait. If I'm wrong and you can prove it, I'll gladly accept it. I abhore divisive crap and there's a really good reason that I've stayed out of the politics forum after my one or two posts a year ago?

Anyways, I will respectfully apologize for my part whether you believe me or not.....I'm old enough to know better....especially since I live in a country with very little real law and order and under military rule. It's refreshing to see that the rules will be enforced going forward as I DO REALIZE this board is a privilege for me and not a right.

Back to enjoying what could be a very special season.....Bear Down to all and again, sincere apologies for anyone I may have offended.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Sorry but I respectfully disagree....I reacted to bait. If I'm wrong and you can prove it, I'll gladly accept it.
Look at both "Fuck ASU" threads. You'll see the posts I had to move and the ones that stayed. Look at which post starts the one on the politics board. Annnnnnnnnddddd...... scene.

Now back to talking about UCLA.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Think UCLA loses tonight?

I kinda think they might not have recovered from this shit kicking we gave them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Think UCLA loses tonight?

I kinda think they might not have recovered from this shit kicking we gave them.
I think USC has issues they won't be able to overcome tonight.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

USC is on pace to score 80.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Longhorned wrote:USC is on pace to score 80.
Scratch that 90+
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Still going under screens
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ucla has a whopper of a hangover from Saturday

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ugly
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Totally.

Regardless of if USC wins this or not, Miller wrote the book on beating this edition of UCLA and its on tape. UCLA is due for a few more losses this season, including the tourney.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Well the 1st half answered my question on the dedication to defense. Also, UCLA has 13 turnovers at half. Wow
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ball isn't all that when the pressure is on.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ball isn't all that when the pressure is on.
It's koto so much that, it's nobody is open anymore. Someone said it best, lack of accountability spreads through a team.

Utah's game plan has caught on and Alford can't coach his way out
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

To be honest, I haven't watched much Ball until this and the Arizona game.

He's good, don't get me wrong, he just hasn't met his hype, IMO. Granted its a n=2, but we'll see.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They do seem disinterested tonight
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Ball isn't all that when the pressure is on.
It's koto so much that, it's nobody is open anymore. Someone said it best, lack of accountability spreads through a team.

Utah's game plan has caught on and Alford can't coach his way out
I feel bad you're witnessing it in person.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bryce must be the third little pig tonight.