Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HiCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by HiCat »

University of Arizona's Sean Miller gets contract increase worth $2.9M a year
Anne Ryman , The Republic | azcentral.com Published 3:50 p.m. MT Feb. 2, 2017 | Updated 25 minutes ago

Miller's contract will be extended through May 2022 in the midst of what has been a winning season for the Wildcats.

But the regents on Thursday gave Miller a strong show of support by approving a contract extension for the 48-year-old coach at the same time his team has been rising in the polls.

Miller's contract was extended through 2022 and his pay will increase over three years, bringing his annual salary to at least $2.9 million a year.

Miller will also get more stakes in an investment fund that was privately donated and aimed at keeping him in Arizona.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /97394598/" target="_blank

A story in USA TODAY last year estimated Miller's stake in the fund to be worth $4 million at the time. Miller's full stake as of mid-day Thursday was estimated to be worth about $4.1 million; the additional units would add an estimated $1.1 million.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

with the raise he'll only really be behind self, pitino, K and calipari pay-wise.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

That's right about fair market value for Miller then. Where are Izzo and Williams on that list ?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:That's right about fair market value for Miller then. Where are Izzo and Williams on that list ?
Yep. Miller should be paid as a top five coach. Factoring age in, he is easily top five.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm always reminded of how he hasn't made his own salary a priority, fought for amenities for the program, and even paid out of pocket for program needs.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
baconus66 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Raise and extension coming: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... aign=share" target="_blank
Doesn't really mean much, because of the limitations on contracts by ABOR they give an extension and raise every year or two to pump it back up to 5 years.
I saw that a state legislator proposed having separate Board of Regents for all three schools. I'll try to find the link and post later.

That would be good for us, no?

Good would be one hell of an understatement. And not just on an athletics level, but academic as well
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Rise and Fire even got his zone tonight. It was probably Miller's best coaching job of the year for at least one person.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ever classy.. :)

Miller said he was glad to receive a two-year contract extension through 2021-22 at a time when the AD job is open and the UA president job will soon be.

“At a time of uncertainty, whether it’s a transition between the athletic director or Dr. Hart, who is outgoing, it’s very, very nice of the university to do that,” Miller said. “They don’t have to do that. The fact that they do means a lot and allows my own family to have stability and hopefully we can have a great future here in Tucson. That’s certainly what we want to do.”

When asked about the fact that he also gets an extra 50,000 shares of stock currently worth $1.2 million if he stays until 2022, Miller said he didn’t know much about it.

“I’m just glad they did it,” Miller said. “There is the opposite, right? I’m just happy they think enough of me to do it.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 64b3d.html" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Raise and extension coming: http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... aign=share" target="_blank
I screamed.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Rise and Fire even got his zone tonight. It was probably Miller's best coaching job of the year for at least one person.
But he's unhappy with a raise for "average" outcomes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
baconus66 wrote:
Doesn't really mean much, because of the limitations on contracts by ABOR they give an extension and raise every year or two to pump it back up to 5 years.
I saw that a state legislator proposed having separate Board of Regents for all three schools. I'll try to find the link and post later.

They're the same across those schools? Didn't realize that. Was it always that way? Different in Washington state.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Rise and Fire even got his zone tonight. It was probably Miller's best coaching job of the year for at least one person.
Sure, we've won 10 games and lost zero in the Pac, but what's our record vs the spread?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Sure, we've won 10 games and lost zero in the Pac, but what's our record vs the spread?
We only matched the spread last night. With zone, would have covered easily.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
baconus66 wrote:

They're the same across those schools? Didn't realize that. Was it always that way? Different in Washington state.
Yep the same board of regents oversees UA, ASU, and NAU. It's pretty stupid.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
baconus66 wrote:

Yep the same board of regents oversees UA, ASU, and NAU. It's pretty stupid.
Looks like former AZ Senator Dennis DeConcini is finally off the board.

https://www.azregents.edu/about/board-members" target="_blank

He was really a pain in getting contracts for RichRod and CSM. He felt that coaches shouldn't make so much money.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Arizona basketball makes a tremendous profit and is in the top ten in revenue every year, most often top five. Saying coaches should make less money on principle is silly. There is a lot more $ that could be lost if Miller is replaced by someone who does not sustain the revenue.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:
Everyone picked 10-0. Everyone. Average outcome.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Arizona basketball makes a tremendous profit and is in the top ten in revenue every year, most often top five. Saying coaches should make less money on principle is silly. There is a lot more $ that could be lost if Miller is replaced by someone who does not sustain the revenue.
On the flip side, what to pay someone whose program doesn't make a profit? You never see pay cuts. It's all extensions and raises until they get fired.. Obviously, other metrics are in play, or Ernie Kent would be living in van down by the river.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Arizona basketball makes a tremendous profit and is in the top ten in revenue every year, most often top five. Saying coaches should make less money on principle is silly. There is a lot more $ that could be lost if Miller is replaced by someone who does not sustain the revenue.
On the flip side, what to pay someone whose program doesn't make a profit? You never see pay cuts. It's all extensions and raises until they get fired.. Obviously, other metrics are in play, or Ernie Kent would be living in van down by the river.
I agree with that... problem is the market for college coaches is out of control.

A good, winning coach at a profitable program is worth what he is paid (see Miller)... and take a vast majority of the rest, who are grossly overpaid, along for the ride. And they have contracts that make them rich when they are ineffective at their job - while they can chase the next payday freely if they do succeed.

Ernie's neighbor in a rational world...

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

HiCat wrote:ever classy.. :)

Miller said he was glad to receive a two-year contract extension through 2021-22 at a time when the AD job is open and the UA president job will soon be.

“At a time of uncertainty, whether it’s a transition between the athletic director or Dr. Hart, who is outgoing, it’s very, very nice of the university to do that,” Miller said. “They don’t have to do that. The fact that they do means a lot and allows my own family to have stability and hopefully we can have a great future here in Tucson. That’s certainly what we want to do.”

When asked about the fact that he also gets an extra 50,000 shares of stock currently worth $1.2 million if he stays until 2022, Miller said he didn’t know much about it.

“I’m just glad they did it,” Miller said. “There is the opposite, right? I’m just happy they think enough of me to do it.”

That has Byrne's fingerprints ALL over it.
#PartingGift

I wonder if RR is pissed...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
HiCat wrote:ever classy.. :)

That has Byrne's fingerprints ALL over it.
#PartingGift

I wonder if RR is pissed...
Well, if RR was undefeated in the Pac and ranked in the top 5 a little more often, maybr things would even out.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller's earned it.

RRs lucky he wasn't canned while GB was looking at other options.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller turns page following Oregon loss, talks weekend series

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-mi ... 54594.html" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I liked his presser about not playing guys who can't guard their targets and something to the effect of 'those Wildcats who think they are NBA caliber but can't get guard their targets better wake up....'

Damn, I just love listening to him talk / eval the game......he's obviously not perfect but we'd better enjoy him while we can and pray that he doesn't bolt for a Duke / UNC gig that seems to be opening up in the not too distant future.....
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-se ... 3d1e4.html" target="_blank

FT's saved Arizona, rebounding was not good, not blocking out. Lauri not confident.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote:http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-se ... 3d1e4.html

FT's saved Arizona, rebounding was not good, not blocking out. Lauri not confident.
What guards can't cover their man?

Found it:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:
HiCat wrote:http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-se ... 3d1e4.html

What guards can't cover their man?

Found it:
Wow. What was that about.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nice! We were so much more efficient when trier was on the bench. He has his role for sure, and that should be 6th man.

Stop auditioning!!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That was with about with a minute left in the first half and trier tried to rocket an entry pass from 30 ft away to CC and turned it over.

The assimilation of Trier is going to take some time. We moved the ball better with PJC in with Zo. I am sure the team noticed if Miller can light him up he can light and will light up anyone
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Everything is a trade off.

Triers ability to cut tot he rim, create, and get to the foul line at the expense of team chemistry, a drop in team production, and everyone needed to relearn their roles 4-5 weeks before the conference and NCAA tourney?

I hope this works out, but most teams don't do this this far into the season. The duke kyrie team was s16 at best. Granted we kicked their ass that year, but they played to that seed and that path.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Someone forward this to Miller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1b_demY94Y" target="_blank
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

In this case, coming off a bad loss, its nice to have an extra day of practice before Cal. Offense didnt look great but all the points in the paint had me worried. I was almost begging for them to start shooting the 3, until a guy did and made it....I have faith. All ya can do.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Gilbertcat wrote:In this case, coming off a bad loss, its nice to have an extra day of practice before Cal.
Yes! I am all for Wednesday as the change up over Sunday. I know it is hard on school, but these guys are correspondents all season anyway. If we have to vary from the Thursday/Saturday schedule, I'd so much rather play Wednesday than Sunday. Saturday to Wednesday was enough time for Stanford planning, but more important, we can get over our bumps and bruises for the much more difficult Cal game.

My kid got a letter from Stanford yesterday (academics, not sports), so I was trying on the idea of being a Stanford #2 fan. Maybe.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:Someone forward this to Miller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1b_demY94Y" target="_blank
I'm not sure I like that set with our personnel. It requires the fading offside wing be a really good shooter to pull the D up and out to the wing. If I was going to slot someone there, it would be Lauri.

If I had a criticism of our zone offense, it wouldn't be the set. It would be that we don't have aggressive cuts to the high post and poor timing on those cuts. We have someone cutting to the elbow, but too often it's lazy and just standing and the wing isn't ready to deliver the ball immediately on a cut.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EVCat wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:In this case, coming off a bad loss, its nice to have an extra day of practice before Cal.

My kid got a letter from Stanford yesterday (academics, not sports), so I was trying on the idea of being a Stanford #2 fan. Maybe.
Congrats man! You have to be a proud papa over that!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
EVCat wrote:

I am. Very. Always. Maybe more so now, though not sure that was possible
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EVCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Terrific news! Exciting stuff. :!:
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I liked his presser about not playing guys who can't guard their targets and something to the effect of 'those Wildcats who think they are NBA caliber but can't get guard their targets better wake up....'

Damn, I just love listening to him talk / eval the game......he's obviously not perfect but we'd better enjoy him while we can and pray that he doesn't bolt for a Duke / UNC gig that seems to be opening up in the not too distant future.....

nothing wrong with straight talk but when was the last time Miller took some responsibility off the players? If a guy is struggling with his assignment why doesn't the coach adjust to whichever defense best suits the personnel and match ups? no, do what we do. there is only one defense, and it is pack line.

i wonder if publicly sending messages like this doesn't make the team play tight?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller says his NBA hopefuls 'won't get picked' if they can't defend

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Feb 9, 2017 Updated 8 hrs ago

That's what drove Miller nuts. So in his postgame interview, Miller laid it out.

“The word ‘pro’ is thrown around way too much at Arizona because of the great history of our program,” Miller said. “We have guys who think they’re NBA players and they can’t guard the ball.

It’s “like not only are you not getting picked (by an NBA team), but you’re not getting invited to camp. Nobody’s gonna take a chance on a guy who can’t guard the man in front of him. And same thing when shots go up. You can’t block out right now in February and keep your man from second shots? There’s nobody picking you.
http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 593e5.html" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

RiseAndFire wrote: nothing wrong with straight talk but when was the last time Miller took some responsibility off the players? If a guy is struggling with his assignment why doesn't the coach adjust to whichever defense best suits the personnel and match ups? no, do what we do. there is only one defense, and it is pack line.

i wonder if publicly sending messages like this doesn't make the team play tight?

you take "responsibility off of players" who aren't performing very easily. You sit them. As for individual match up issues...we switch guys all the time. Ones don't always play ones, etc. We have MORE flexibility to change assignments in man.

This isn't football with a bag of defenses. You play man with some variations or zone with some variations. Zone is not something to be played occasionally when players are young and haven't been in the system for years...unless you like getting massacred on the boards, giving up 3s, and giving driving lanes the size of a mack truck.

I mean, it sounds so simple..."just take responsibility off the players. Hit RB and X instead of LT and Y." Maybe too simple? Always be wary of what is too simple

The team plays man. Pack line man. It isn't a personnel issue. It is a "play the thing" issue. It is man to man...the easiest defense to learn. Whether you are good or not is caused by many factors, but there are plenty of coaches that would rather teach man principles to struggling players than introduce the host of ills that come with zone.

You seem to be of the belief that players who suck in man are great in zone. Have you considered they will suck in zone, too, which is far more dangerous?

IT's as simplistic, and ultimately not helpful, a viewpoint as "we aren't getting pressure with our front four...we need to blitz more". A favorite of football fan, and a comment that makes football coach laugh. Sure...our front 4 can't generate anything, so let's send someone we need in coverage. A defensive coordinator will tell you, if you listen (but what do coaches know?) that a blitz will only be effective if the front four are also effective. It is a cumulative effect. Rare is the blind corner blitz that gets a free shot on the QB. If you send a blitzer, the QB throws to your area. If you roll to the blitzer, and your front four are ineffective, there is still plenty of time for the QB to diagnose the roll and throw at the area left open by the roll.

Same thing with basketball defense. You cannot hide lazy or ineffective in a zone. You can only hide athletic and height issues and foul trouble...and that is only if you regularly play zone. We have no issues with athleticism. We have no issue with height. We have nothing to hide. Our defensive problems are...

...well, actually, we don't really have defensive problems. But to entertain the notion...if this team had actual defensive problems, not occasional lapses, it wouldn't be because of actual ability. So it would be something else. Effort. And lack of effort in a zone is even MORE damaging to a team...and now you can't rebound or run.

I am sure your eyes glazed up when I didn't agree with you 3 paragraphs ago. But A ZONE WOULD NOT HELP THIS TEAM. There are no natural defensive issues to hide.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Watch the presser, CSM was not happy except with Chance.

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

EVCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Congrats as well EV! Very impressive.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

84Cat wrote:Watch the presser, CSM was not happy except with Chance.

Glad to see he pointed out Chance as the outlier. He took what was offered all night, made them pay for fouling him (7-8 from the line), and generally had one of those "Good Chance" games, which we are starting to see more frequently. Chance is quietly becoming a player you can count on off the bench. Dusan and Chance put a lot of pressure on the front line of opponents...when you get a "break" during Dusan's rest, CC comes at you with nearly as good footwork. Our ability to score from the low post hasn't been this good since maybe Rooks/Williams, or Woods/Wright. Not saying CC and Ristic are as good overall, but both are great (Dusan) to good and getting better (CC) scoring from the post.

That puts a ton of pressure on post defenders to defend without fouling...they are typically getting 40 minutes with someone who can ball from the block, and sometimes getting both at once. Dusan had a poor game, but that hasn't been happening, and Chance forced 3 or 4 shooting fouls in the post by himself. That's a pretty remarkable number. Figure Dusan has been getting 4 to 6 shooting fouls (either in the block or bonus non-shooting) a night lately (FTA totals previous 5 games: 8, 9, 9, 7, 10)...if CC comes in with 3 or 4, they are fouling out a post player or two as well as adding a couple of swipe fouls to other players each game. CC's last 5 games FTA were 3, 3, 4, 4, 6...so 2 to 3 shooting fouls forced a game over the last 6? That shit adds up, especially when you add Trier getting to the line 12 times. That becomes yet another path to victory...foul trouble/early bonus.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

also, while a LOT of players like seeing Stanford, Chance might be shooting for 3rd team All Conference status if he could just keep his Stanford games this year...

1/1 - 13p / 10r. One turnover. 5-6 from the field (.833) in 23 minutes

2/8 - 11p / 6r. No turnovers. 2-3 from the field (.667), 7-8 from the line in 22 minutes.

Average vs Stanford (2017):

22.5 MPG. 12 points/8 rebounds. .5 turnovers. 7-9 from the field (.777 - lucky 7's), 10-13 from the line (.769).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I liked his presser about not playing guys who can't guard their targets and something to the effect of 'those Wildcats who think they are NBA caliber but can't get guard their targets better wake up....'

Gotta be all three of Trier, Kobi and Rawle.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm tinkering in my mind with starting Chance for several reasons. Would it be too much with everything else that is going on right now? Several reasons for this though: One is to send a clear message to Dusan. Being an amazing low-post scorer isn't your only job. While lackluster D hasn't been limited to just him, he is in the backstretch of his third year here, and the effort on the boards is nonexistent at times. Seriously, get a body on somebody, anybody.

The second reason pertains to our ineffectiveness against the zone. We need to pick up the pace, and we need more movement (off-ball and ball) and fluidity. We "stop" the ball too effing much on offense. Kadeem passes to wing A, wing A sizes up the defense while holding the ball, nothing is there so wing passes it back to Kadeem, Kadeem puts the ball on the floor and we struggle to figure out what to do and we get a half-ass cut to the middle but that is too slow and allows the defense to adjust, pass to wing B, wing B holds the ball and sizes up the defense again, wing B is looking to feed Dusan but by holding the ball the defender in that zone has time to sag a bit to stop a drive and not allow a clean entry pass to Dusan and the D has time to make Dusan uncomfortable if he did get the ball, Wing B passes it back to Kadeem. Now there are 8 seconds on the shot clock and the team has to scramble for a good look.

Move the damn ball quicker. The concept of reversing the ball is to make the zone shift. When we reverse we stop the ball and it lets the zone recover easily. It's like in practice when you are working on/learning a zone. Coach rolls the ball out to the offense and the offense takes it step-by-step. Pass, zone shifts, coach explains something, then "ok pass," zone shifts, coach explains something else, "ok pass." It's easy then. Then when the training wheels come off and the guys wearing the other colored practice jerseys play at their normal pace and actually move, it is a completely different story. Picking up the pace alone will better free up that middle and Lauri can catch the ball and attack a gap or pull up for an easy two points. It also helps create gaps for the perimeter players to attack. Player movement confuses zone defenders, Chance moves better than Dusan, makes quicker decisions than Dusan and can get his shot/dunk up quicker than Dusan. I don't know, my take is that we are getting zones from everyone now and most of them are primarily m2m teams. We make it easy on them. Move the ball, players move, they are playing a defense they just learned or dont typically play = confusion = gaps and wide open looks.

I'm just a dumbass on a message board with only high school playing experience so you know CSM is preaching this basic stuff in practice. I just dont get why we dont see it playing out in games? Or at least for more than just spurts at a time? I think it would be simple for these guys, you dont like the zone, start beating it so teams will stop using it against you.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Exactly RG. Baffling that we can't abuse the F out of some these zone looks. Dusan is definitely way too slow on offense most of the time. All you need is constant crisp and decisive movement from the players and the ball. The team should be licking their chops when a team goes zone - should be layups, dunks, and wide open 3s all day. I'm just a schmuck too but there was nothing that made me happier while playing basketball than seeing the opponents go zone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:Exactly RG. Baffling that we can't abuse the F out of some these zone looks. Dusan is definitely way too slow on offense most of the time. All you need is constant crisp and decisive movement from the players and the ball. The team should be licking their chops when a team goes zone - should be layups, dunks, and wide open 3s all day. I'm just a schmuck too but there was nothing that made me happier while playing basketball than seeing the opponents go zone.
I'm not sure if I would start Chance over Dusan, but having Chance play more vs a zone is legit. Dusan just isn't a very good passer and struggles when a zone sags on him. Against a zone, he's either going to drop the ball in from 5 feet or really doesn't give much.

If I had to advise SM, who is unquestionably a better coach, I would also talk about prioritizing offensive rebounding. Zones give you offensive rebounding, and if we hammer the offensive boards, we can play the basketball equivalent of the Broncos offense with Tebow. Control the ball, wear them down and pound, pound, pound away.