Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Dave

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Dave »

pokinmik wrote:Exactly RG. Baffling that we can't abuse the F out of some these zone looks. Dusan is definitely way too slow on offense most of the time. All you need is constant crisp and decisive movement from the players and the ball. The team should be licking their chops when a team goes zone - should be layups, dunks, and wide open 3s all day. I'm just a schmuck too but there was nothing that made me happier while playing basketball than seeing the opponents go zone.
I would put our lack of ball movement as the biggest reason we are struggling against the zone. We have a handful of guys that want to take it on by themselves. PJC gets the ball moving better than anyone else. We had some big scoring droughts against Stanford when PJC was on the bench.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Cal will definitely be running zone against us and they have a big back...

Pure zone doesn't worry me so much, the guys usually eventually figure it out...but that fluid zone like Oregon played which is less "geography zone" more "defender zone" can be tough...the place the ducks took advantage was in their veteran players knowing that when you attack the zone sweep low near the ankles and get turn overs...they packed it in tight when we drove...

I do not expect Cal to do this...they are not veteran enough and the zone is new (they played it against ASU with great success which is a complete illusion since ASU is about as consistent as traffic on 22nd street)...

Hopefully we do not stand around a lot and our bigs grow some balls and block the fuck out around the rim on defense...
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:In this case, coming off a bad loss, its nice to have an extra day of practice before Cal.

My kid got a letter from Stanford yesterday (academics, not sports), so I was trying on the idea of being a Stanford #2 fan. Maybe.
Congrats man! You have to be a proud papa over that!
I am. Very. Always. Maybe more so now, though not sure that was possible
Congrats. I may have one of those in a couple years. And, with my income, it's full ride!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I liked his presser about not playing guys who can't guard their targets and something to the effect of 'those Wildcats who think they are NBA caliber but can't get guard their targets better wake up....'

Damn, I just love listening to him talk / eval the game......he's obviously not perfect but we'd better enjoy him while we can and pray that he doesn't bolt for a Duke / UNC gig that seems to be opening up in the not too distant future.....

nothing wrong with straight talk but when was the last time Miller took some responsibility off the players? If a guy is struggling with his assignment why doesn't the coach adjust to whichever defense best suits the personnel and match ups? no, do what we do. there is only one defense, and it is pack line.

i wonder if publicly sending messages like this doesn't make the team play tight?
Figured it out. This is Tim Floyd. Bitter.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm not sure if I would start Chance over Dusan, but having Chance play more vs a zone is legit. Dusan just isn't a very good passer and struggles when a zone sags on him. Against a zone, he's either going to drop the ball in from 5 feet or really doesn't give much.

If I had to advise SM, who is unquestionably a better coach, I would also talk about prioritizing offensive rebounding. Zones give you offensive rebounding, and if we hammer the offensive boards, we can play the basketball equivalent of the Broncos offense with Tebow. Control the ball, wear them down and pound, pound, pound away.

Yeah, I waiver back and forth on the actual starting Chance thing, but another argument for it is our habit of starting slow in games and after halftime. Even if Chance was brought in at the 17 minute mark, thats 6 minutes of hole you may be digging yourself out of.

You are right about the offensive boards, didnt even cross my mind. Zones in the past where largely responsible for guys like Ryan Anderson and Rondae getting their nut.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller looks ahead to Washington trip

Feb 13, 2017 Updated 1 hr ago

http://tucson.com/online/video/ua-coach ... 862ba.html" target="_blank
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

The coach of the year race is wide open
2. Sean Miller, Arizona
First Miller lost arguably his most talented freshman, Terrance Ferguson, who opted to play overseas in Australia. Then Ray Smith, projected to be the team's starting small forward, tore his ACL just prior to the start of the season. Then Allonzo Trier didn't play the first 19 games due to an NCAA suspension. The Wildcats are somehow 22-3 and fighting for first place in the Pac-12.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... coach-year" target="_blank

Coach of the Year Power Rankings: Miller, Drew, Wright and Few lead the way
1. Sean Miller, Arizona: Let’s think about this for a second. As of today, Sean Miller has Arizona sitting in sole possession of first place in the Pac-12, a league that counts three top ten teams as members, despite the fact that there are very few people that would think that the Wildcats are the best team in the conference (that would be Oregon) or the most dangerous team in the conference (hello, UCLA). And he’s doing that despite the fact that his best player, Allonzo Trier, missed the first 19 games of the season, his star recruit, Terrence Ferguson, went pro in Australia and last year’s star recruit, Ray Smith, tore his ACL for the third time. Should I mention that the Wildcats have as many question marks at the point guard spot as any elite team in the country, or that they rely heavily on a pair of freshmen – Kobi Simmons and Rawle Alkins – who can be labeled somewhere between inconsistent and erratic?
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... d-the-way/" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pastner noted, too. Uh-Oh!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

gumby wrote:Pastner noted, too. Uh-Oh!
Next you are gonna tell me Livengood is up for AD of the year...
gumby

Post by gumby »

AD = Accounting Demigod

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:Pastner noted, too. Uh-Oh!
That should please the "Bring Back JP" crowd...

This one season should prove he is the next Lute.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... g-marshall" target="_blank

North Carolina State fired Mark Gottfried after reaching four NCAA tournaments in six years. Where do the Wolfpack turn next?
The NC State opening offers a perfect window into what could be one of the most intriguing trends of the 2017 hiring cycle. With coaches like Dayton’s Archie Miller and Xavier’s Chris Mack unlikely to take the job, it sets up perfectly for an established coach at a Power 5 school—or one that pays like a power conference school, like VCU or Wichita State—to make a lateral slide to that role in Raleigh.
Whether Crean would make the move to NC State, or a place like Missouri or Washington, is a fascinating question. He’s entrenched in Bloomington, as his daughter attends school there and his son is committed to play baseball there. But as the years pass and the criticism fails to wane, there’s seemingly less and less of a chance of happy ending for Crean at Indiana. This season offers Crean a chance at a clean break and fresh start. It’s unknown how seriously Indiana is considering firing Crean, as athletic director Fred Glass is loyal and there’s a realistic chance Indiana may not be able to find a sure-fire upgrade. (Archie Miller would certainly be a top target, as would Virginia’s Tony Bennett, Arizona’s Sean Miller and Xavier’s Mack. Don’t dream of Steve Alford unless you want to pay $7.8 million to buy him out.)
Crean doesn’t have to pay anything to leave Indiana. As the losses and consternation pile up, so should the possibility of him exploring other options.
Here are six other brand-name coaches that could emerge as intriguing names in the next few weeks: Cuonzo, Romar, Drew, Martin, Howland, and Underwood
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol I doubt Miller would go to Indiana.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

If I was NC State, and Ben Howland was available, I would back up whatever sized money truck I had to get him.

All of those names come with big flaws. Ben fucked up in the LA shoe-company dominated club scene. He would be fine in Raleigh.

I think UCLA should have made some huge gesture to undo the damage he did in the LA club scene and kept him. Three straight Final Fours is not something Alford is going to beat. He is a fantastic coach, and has shown the ability to coach a few different styles well (1 in 4-out "recruit to shoot", 3-star players into grinders at Pitt, all-star superstar classes at UCLA). I know he fell apart late, and that marriage was clearly over. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to build somewhere other than the hell he is currently at with a zero give-a-shit hoops beyond UK conference. I think Howland would coach up the "leftovers" and occasional 5 stars NC State can pull. Howland wasn't LA (not that Alford is), but he could be Raleigh
Last edited by EVCat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:If I was NC State, and Ben Howland was available, I would back up whatever sized money truck I had to get him.

All of those names come with big flaws. Ben fucked up in the LA shoe-company dominated club scene. He would be fine in Raleigh.

I think UCLA should have made some huge gesture to undo the damage he did in the LA club scene and kept him. Three straight Final Fours is not something Alford is going to beat. He is a fantastic coach, and has shown the ability to coach a few different styles well (1 in 4-out "recruit to shoot", 3-star players into grinders at Pitt, all-star superstar classes at UCLA. I know he fell apart late, and that marriage was clearly over. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to build somewhere other than the hell he is currently at with a zero give-a-shit hoops conference. I think Howland would coach up the "leftovers" and occasional 5 stars NC State can pull.
Ben is doing just fine at Mississippi State in a much weaker conference and landing 4-5 star recruits.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

He is, though MSU will never be a hoops school, even if they were good. They will be a football crowd going to basketball games. He has dropped 5 of 6 this season and this year is turning into a nightmare.

But I think Ben is far better than Mississippi State. I think he belongs back with the big boys.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Either way, I hope he does well. I like him as a coach, and will always appreciate what he did at NAU
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... g-marshall

North Carolina State fired Mark Gottfried after reaching four NCAA tournaments in six years. Where do the Wolfpack turn next?
The NC State opening offers a perfect window into what could be one of the most intriguing trends of the 2017 hiring cycle. With coaches like Dayton’s Archie Miller and Xavier’s Chris Mack unlikely to take the job, it sets up perfectly for an established coach at a Power 5 school—or one that pays like a power conference school, like VCU or Wichita State—to make a lateral slide to that role in Raleigh.
Whether Crean would make the move to NC State, or a place like Missouri or Washington, is a fascinating question. He’s entrenched in Bloomington, as his daughter attends school there and his son is committed to play baseball there. But as the years pass and the criticism fails to wane, there’s seemingly less and less of a chance of happy ending for Crean at Indiana. This season offers Crean a chance at a clean break and fresh start. It’s unknown how seriously Indiana is considering firing Crean, as athletic director Fred Glass is loyal and there’s a realistic chance Indiana may not be able to find a sure-fire upgrade. (Archie Miller would certainly be a top target, as would Virginia’s Tony Bennett, Arizona’s Sean Miller and Xavier’s Mack. Don’t dream of Steve Alford unless you want to pay $7.8 million to buy him out.)
Crean doesn’t have to pay anything to leave Indiana. As the losses and consternation pile up, so should the possibility of him exploring other options.
Here are six other brand-name coaches that could emerge as intriguing names in the next few weeks: Cuonzo, Romar, Drew, Martin, Howland, and Underwood
Not that I think NCSU is a dream job (unless you're Shay Binion) but they would really be settling with Crean. Crean has been a master at showing just enough not to get fired at IU. Every time the seat gets hot, he beats Kansas and jumps into the top 5. Then, the seat cools down and his team falls apart.

If there's a Pac coach I could see another P5 school really wanting, it would be Altman or Krystowiak. Miller is obvious, but Arizona is a good enough job that you need to be a really top shelf job to get in the door. As 97 has posted, UNC might be the only one that could.

Based on the previous NCSU search, they probably will wind up fishing in the Bobby Hurley pool.
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ino-future

In this SI Aritcle, Coach Miller is listed as a potential replacement for every major college coach except Syracuse... Duke, UNC, Louisville & North Carolina. I really glad we have a coach that is wanted across the nation. I hope he uses this leverage to get a huge raise from the next AD & decides to become an Arizona "lifer" & hero like Lute. Bear Down.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

wilbur1997 wrote:In this SI Aritcle, Coach Miller is listed as a potential replacement for every major college coach except Syracuse... Duke, UNC, Louisville & North Carolina.
If UNC and North Carolina offer him, he will have a really hard time deciding...

:)
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

EVCat wrote:
wilbur1997 wrote:In this SI Aritcle, Coach Miller is listed as a potential replacement for every major college coach except Syracuse... Duke, UNC, Louisville & North Carolina.
If UNC and North Carolina offer him, he will have a really hard time deciding...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:

Maybe he'll just take both.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Maybe he'll just take both.
He is capable.

I wonder if he would run zone at one and man at the other...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

wilbur1997 wrote:http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ino-future

In this SI Aritcle, Coach Miller is listed as a potential replacement for every major college coach except Syracuse... Duke, UNC, Louisville & North Carolina. I really glad we have a coach that is wanted across the nation. I hope he uses this leverage to get a huge raise from the next AD & decides to become an Arizona "lifer" & hero like Lute. Bear Down.
Fuck, here we go with this rodeo.

I have it on good word with someone close to the UNC AD, that Miller is 1,2,3 on their roy replacement list.

Duke will go to the tree either Chris Collins or capel, maybe break the bank for Brad Stevens. Not so much worried about l-ville and having to go up against cal. Ncstate can wish all they want but millers got bigger fish to fry.

But Miller to UNC keeps me up at night.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Edit just saw UNC and NC on the same list. Lol.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Does UNC have anyone in their tree they would look at? Surprised they wouldn't.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Hubert Davis is talked about the replacement for Roy pretty often. UNC job will be offered to a UNC alum/guy first, it's like the whole "Michigan man thing" at UM.

Mike Brey should be a real consideration for Duke. Or Wojo, or Capel, or Collins
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cpt wrote:Does UNC have anyone in their tree they would look at? Surprised they wouldn't.
Jason Capel and Buzz Peterson crash landed pretty bad recently. They should go big and hire MJ (and not look at Sean Miller).
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
wilbur1997 wrote:http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ino-future

Fuck, here we go with this rodeo.

I have it on good word with someone close to the UNC AD, that Miller is 1,2,3 on their roy replacement list.

Duke will go to the tree either Chris Collins or capel, maybe break the bank for Brad Stevens. Not so much worried about l-ville and having to go up against cal. Ncstate can wish all they want but millers got bigger fish to fry.

But Miller to UNC keeps me up at night.
Just because someone is top of the list doesn't mean it's reality, you just have to shoot for the moon. Remember the Arizona coaching search there was ridiculous talk about izzo or pitino? Just like Duke thinking they'll get Brad Stevens or Louisville thinking they'll get Billy Donovan, or college football schools like Texas or USC thinking about getting Gruden. If Archie does go to Raleigh and not Bloomington, that'll probably the end of Miller to any other school honestly.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

NYCat wrote:Remember the Arizona coaching search there was ridiculous talk about izzo or pitino?
It wasn't that crazy considering who we had (Calipari). There was word out that we had someone expected to take over after season's end that was a huge name, and the guessing started to happen. And there were feelers out to all the big names. But the Calipari to Arizona thing was very, very real before Kentucky opened up. If that hadn't happened, we would have Cal and not Miller. I like how it turned out, but the Izzo and Pitino talk was in the ballpark...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yes but that was a Memphis + conference USA to Arizona obvious upgrade, instead of Michigan state and Louisville to Arizona. Big difference, State + Louisville are lateral moves. Memphis to Arizona would've been an upgrade, just like Xavier to Arizona was. Just like Dayton to Indiana or NC State will be for Archie. You don't gain anything by moving to the same spot in a different place, except having to start over.

Maybe Roy to UNC scenario is the only reason to move. Thank God Miller went to Pitt and not UNC, Duke etc.

And considering we tripped and almost ended up with Tim Floyd I don't see how Izzo or Pitino were actually realities. The program wasn't hot real estate flying off the markets. I remember Reggie Theus was a freaking possibility somehow.

Btw: UNC, Duke, Louisville should be considering Dana Altman tbh. He's an incredible coach, he's older but he's really good - and it'll get him away from Oregon win win.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I could totally see the Tar Heel whine and cheese crowd going for Altman.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

NYCat wrote:And considering we tripped and almost ended up with Tim Floyd I don't see how Izzo or Pitino were actually realities. The program wasn't hot real estate flying off the markets. I remember Reggie Theus was a freaking possibility somehow.
Damn, thanks a lot NYCat :-( .....took me several years of night sweats and terrors to get over the Floyd Nightmare.....ughhh. Thank God that didn't happen!!!

Here's hoping we hold onto CSM ala Lute :-)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller, Arizona Wildcats talk 90-77 win over USC Trojans

Feb 24, 2017 Updated 4 hrs ago

"The guy that I'm most proud of...is Parker".

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-se ... 1db4f.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
NYCat wrote:And considering we tripped and almost ended up with Tim Floyd I don't see how Izzo or Pitino were actually realities. The program wasn't hot real estate flying off the markets. I remember Reggie Theus was a freaking possibility somehow.
Damn, thanks a lot NYCat :-( .....took me several years of night sweats and terrors to get over the Floyd Nightmare.....ughhh. Thank God that didn't happen!!!
Thank Jason Scheer. God's imperfect vessel hiding in a bush with a camera...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Interesting Chicat. I never heard the backstory of this....all I remember is waking up to a text over here from my Aggie Bro telling me that Floyd was our next coach. I was so disappointed.....until I heard it denied by the press.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Is this my cue to go off about Livengood again?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Interesting Chicat. I never heard the backstory of this....all I remember is waking up to a text over here from my Aggie Bro telling me that Floyd was our next coach. I was so disappointed.....until I heard it denied by the press.
Gershon got word that a private plane was coming into Tucson Airport with a coach who was going to be interviewed to replace Lute, so he sent Scheer to grab some pictures. Sure enough, out walks Floyd and Scheer pops up with his camera and the picture hits GoAZCats within the hour and the rest of the Internet shortly thereafter. By the time Floyd made it back to LA his players were all waiting to beg him to stay and he then turned down the job.

The flip side of that story is that it made Livengood incredibly paranoid. So in the interest of secrecy he had Sean meet him in Albuquerque (away from Scheer's eagle eyes) and they then took a long boring drive to Santa Fe which was apparently so awkward that it led to Sean initially turning down the job. In effect, Scheer could have inadvertently sabotaged that hire as well if it hadn't been for Calipari's late night call to tell Sean to reconsider. And the rest is history....
MrMeow wrote:Is this my cue to go off about Livengood again?
The floor is yours my friend.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Gershon got word that a private plane was coming into Tucson Airport with a coach who was going to be interviewed to replace Lute, so he sent Scheer to grab some pictures. Sure enough, out walks Floyd and Scheer pops up with his camera and the picture hits GoAZCats within the hour and the rest of the Internet shortly thereafter. By the time Floyd made it back to LA his players were all waiting to beg him to stay and he then turned down the job.

The flip side of that story is that it made Livengood incredibly paranoid. So in the interest of secrecy he had Sean meet him in Albuquerque (away from Scheer's eagle eyes) and they then took a long boring drive to Santa Fe which was apparently so awkward that it led to Sean initially turning down the job. In effect, Scheer could have inadvertently sabotaged that hire as well if it hadn't been for Calipari's late night call to tell Sean to reconsider. And the rest is history....
MrMeow wrote:Is this my cue to go off about Livengood again?
The floor is yours my friend.
Wow, very interesting Chicat! Thanks so much for the backstory......so now I now why I woke up to the 'Floyd to Az' text as night time US is morning here.....talk about us dodging the 'Mother' of all bullets!

Thanks again Chicat :-).
Bangkok Wildcat

So, does this make Gershon and Scheer heroes? ;-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So, does this make Gershon and Scheer heroes? ;-)
They were the heroes we needed at that moment. That's for shit sure.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:So, does this make Gershon and Scheer heroes? ;-)
They were the heroes we needed at that moment. That's for shit sure.
... and what does it make Livengood (rhymes with tool)?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller Postgame ASU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdB9iMbWe8" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wilner picks Alford for conference coach of the year and when Arizona fans respond asking about all the injuries/suspension Miller had to work through to finish with a conference championship, this is his response...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Wilner picks Alford for conference coach of the year and when Arizona fans respond asking about all the injuries/suspension Miller had to work through to finish with a conference championship, this is his response...
I assume if he had a good answer, he would have given it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The award isn't for the best coach or good coach whose team met expectations award (preseason top 10 team).

The award is usually for the coach who exceeded low expectations. That's why Pastner won the ACC COY and Roy didn't. Its wrong, but thats who the award goes to every year, no the best.

And that's why the top tier coaches don't win it every year.

I doubt Miller will win many more PAC 12 COYs, maybe if there isn't someone else to give the award to or Arizona just steamrolls the league.
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My criteria would be the coach who did the best job during the season. I would say that weathering losing your starting SF for the year, and your starting SG for 2/3rds of the season, while also having your top recruit never show up on campus and still guiding your team to a first place finish and top-10 ranking is better than recruiting Lonzo Ball and not having anyone play any defense at all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great answer Chi on the twitter feed.

Seriously, Wilner was asked an objective question, and gave a sophomoric response. Nothing to back up his decision.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Here's my take. COY is always about expectations.

UCLA was not expected to be as good as they've been. This wasn't really based in talent, but that the talent wouldn't perform this well. It's hard to avoid that being partially based in an idea that Alford's teams tend to underachieve.

Arizona was expected to be about what we have been. This is partially based in the idea that Miller gets teams to perform. Our biggest hurdles were ones we didn't know about when the season started, and Miller has handled them very well.

So, Alford wins because he built a culture of lowered expectations and exceeded them. Miller loses because he delivered on higher expectations despite unexpected hurdles.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Here's my take. COY is always about expectations.

UCLA was not expected to be as good as they've been. This wasn't really based in talent, but that the talent wouldn't perform this well. It's hard to avoid that being partially based in an idea that Alford's teams tend to underachieve.

Arizona was expected to be about what we have been. This is partially based in the idea that Miller gets teams to perform. Our biggest hurdles were ones we didn't know about when the season started, and Miller has handled them very well.

So, Alford wins because he built a culture of lowered expectations and exceeded them. Miller loses because he delivered on higher expectations despite unexpected hurdles.
The funny thing is that UCLA was picked to finish third by the PAC-12 media, so that serves to prove your point Spiff. Wilner thinks Alford deserves COY because he didn't fall on his face in true Alford fashion.