Lonzo Ball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bruins01

Re: Lonzo Ball

Post by Bruins01 »

CalStateTempe wrote:He's good, but not THAT good.

Kyrie Irving was better in college.
No way. Lonzo is the best player to play in college since Anthony Davis.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Saw Lavar, LaMelo and his mom on University before the game walking to Frogs. Some frat guy up top at No Anchovies saw them leaving in their car and threw a plush AZ football at him and missed by about 4'. Almost made it into the drivers side window. Would have been amazing had he made it

edit: just realized that wasn't the Ball family but rather Bowen and his parents. Woops...
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I've come around. If I'm Brooklyn or whomever wins the lotto I'm taking Lonzo #1. His game will translate so well w NBA spacing.

I'd also prob take him over anyone in country.

I wouldnt vote him For wooden though. I still think it's Hart/Mason/Swanigan race for that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There is a CBS sports line article that has Ball falling to Philly at 5. I'd imagine there is a better chance at Ball coming back to ucla than him falling to 5
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

MrBug708 wrote:There is a CBS sports line article that has Ball falling to Philly at 5. I'd imagine there is a better chance at Ball coming back to ucla than him falling to 5
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft

That same analyst has Trier going at #12 to the Hornets.....that's surprising at this point.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

USA TODAY Sports college basketball All-American team

Thirteen schools, four classes and seven conferences are represented on the 2017 USA TODAY Sports men's college basketball All-America teams. Nearly all of them will have the chance to lead their teams to a run in the NCAA tournament.

The players listed in alphabetical order:

FIRST TEAM

Lonzo Ball, Fr., G, UCLA: Must-see TV anytime he’s on the court, Ball emerged quickly as one of the nation’s most exciting and entertaining players, leading UCLA through an unbeaten nonconference slate that included a win against Kentucky at Rupp Arena. He’s taken what would have been a talented UCLA offense and turned it into the country’s most efficient offense, one marked by a lightning-quick transition game and how-did-he-do-that passes.

Ball’s season stat line, as impressive as it is, doesn’t even do him justice — 14.9 ppg, 7.8 apg, 6.2 rpg — because none of that shows just how much he controls any game he’s part of. But any opposing coach understands that — almost immediately.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /98777336/
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

97cats wrote:USA TODAY Sports college basketball All-American team

Thirteen schools, four classes and seven conferences are represented on the 2017 USA TODAY Sports men's college basketball All-America teams. Nearly all of them will have the chance to lead their teams to a run in the NCAA tournament.

The players listed in alphabetical order:

FIRST TEAM

Lonzo Ball, Fr., G, UCLA: Must-see TV anytime he’s on the court, Ball emerged quickly as one of the nation’s most exciting and entertaining players, leading UCLA through an unbeaten nonconference slate that included a win against Kentucky at Rupp Arena. He’s taken what would have been a talented UCLA offense and turned it into the country’s most efficient offense, one marked by a lightning-quick transition game and how-did-he-do-that passes.

Ball’s season stat line, as impressive as it is, doesn’t even do him justice — 14.9 ppg, 7.8 apg, 6.2 rpg — because none of that shows just how much he controls any game he’s part of. But any opposing coach understands that — almost immediately.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /98777336/
Brooks too:

Dillon Brooks, Jr., F, Oregon: Had he not been injured at the start of the season, there’s a good chance Brooks would be getting national player of the year consideration. But he’s the reason these Ducks have turned into one of the most explosive offenses in the nation — and a team opponents will not want to see anywhere close to their draw in the NCAA tournament.

Brooks, who is averaging 16.0 ppg, 2.9 apg, 2.7 rpg, has played his best basketball since the start of February — which, not coincidentally, has coincided with some of Oregon’s most dominant performances (as well as a couple of head-scratchers we’ll just ignore for now). There’s a reason Oregon will be a trendy Final Four pick when the bracket is unveiled, and that reason is simple: Brooks.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I 100% agree w that AA 1st team.

I don't see much of an argument for anyone else in place of those guys either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Saw Lavar, LaMelo and his mom on University before the game walking to Frogs. Some frat guy up top at No Anchovies saw them leaving in their car and threw a plush AZ football at him and missed by about 4'. Almost made it into the drivers side window. Would have been amazing had he made it

edit: just realized that wasn't the Ball family but rather Bowen and his parents. Woops...
Were you the one who told ESPN that Ball's dad was available for an interview?

That wound up being the best part of the game. Hyping the interview, then admitting it wasn't Ball's dad and they got pranked.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well he gets more calls then Curry. I watched the first UCLA Game and he hammered Trier at about the 4 minute mark and it wasn't even close.

Couple that with the PJC push off and he is already receiving star treatment. The Bruins will go along way if he plays with those kind of calls
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Were you the one who told ESPN that Ball's dad was available for an interview?

That wound up being the best part of the game. Hyping the interview, then admitting it wasn't Ball's dad and they got pranked.
haha no but I caught that too. Thats when I realized it wasn't them on University.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Well he gets more calls then Curry. I watched the first UCLA Game and he hammered Trier at about the 4 minute mark and it wasn't even close.

Couple that with the PJC push off and he is already receiving star treatment. The Bruins will go along way if he plays with those kind of calls
He's already got the announcers on board. I like Ball's game, but the way Bilas praised him during the game at McKale...geez.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i know i sound like a broken record, but from the first time i saw Ball play live (Jr year in High School at Chino) he was one of the most dynamic players ive seen at that age.

each time i continue to see him i feel the same.

imo, hes the best player in the nation as a freshman and is the easy choice as the number one player to add to any current roster in the country.

literally any team in the top 35 that you add Ball to becomes an instant Final Four contender, its just that simple.

he is going to play in the NBA for 15+ years and be an All-Star -- his game will transfer to the pros even better than it has as an amateur, if thats even possible.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What was it that Lonzo's dad said about his boy not losing to the same team twice?

Dude checked out tonight. I guess his thumb hindered him from being able to play defense or hustle in any way, shape, or form.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He said his son doesn't lose to the same team twice in a row. Not sure how this game changes that unless they meet again in the NCAAs?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:He said his son doesn't lose to the same team twice in a row.
Ohhhhh, ok.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Sean Miller, a big Meatloaf fan, says two out of three ain't bad.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding in the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-thumb" target="_blank

At least we won't lose the first game of the tournament now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

When is this Ball or Fall special on ESPN? I keep seeing commercials for it but no airtime
Bangkok Wildcat

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ball-sons/

Lavar Ball is an embarrassment.....I hope he hurts his son's draft stock as his intentions to force his son into the LA market and dealing with him will be a nightmare for any NBA team....smh.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He'll probably go scorched earth next year
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat

Merkin wrote:
Well pot is legal in CA so he must be really stoned!!!! What a jackass.....feel sorry for Lonzo as from what little I know he seems like a decent kid.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe wrote:When is this Ball or Fall special on ESPN? I keep seeing commercials for it but no airtime
http://ballislife.com/sc-featured-ball- ... asketball/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lavar's house was robbed. It's like everyone knew he wouldn't be home
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Crocodile tears.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

His dad was pushed me into disliking the ball family.

Humility is not a strong suit among them.

Balls good, but he has his limitations as Arizona showed in all three games including the loss.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Humility pretty much describes Lonzo perfectly. It's a shame about his dad but you can't pick your parents.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

MrBug708 wrote:Humility pretty much describes Lonzo perfectly. It's a shame about his dad but you can't pick your parents.
I agree to some extent. I liked Lonzo but his dad is too much. It's rubbing off on my perception of the boys.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NBA fans are brutal and fickle. Dad should shut up and let his sons play do the talking. Otherwise he's in for a rough go if he can't meet and exceed currys stats for example.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

MrBug708 wrote:Lavar's house was robbed. It's like everyone knew he wouldn't be home
They got a video tour and aerial shot of the house here, thanks ESPN!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ball-sons/

Lavar Ball is an embarrassment.....I hope he hurts his son's draft stock as his intentions to force his son into the LA market and dealing with him will be a nightmare for any NBA team....smh.
I'm not sure a lot of NBA teams are happy to have to deal with Lavar's ****. I could easily see that making the difference if you need a PG and have Fultz or Smith also available.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd imagine NBA teams are better equiped to handle crazy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:I'd imagine NBA teams are better equiped to handle crazy
I'd think more like ignore as opposed to handle. Just salary someone to hang around with Lavar and agree with whatever he says.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/mem ... ck-mother/" target="_blank

Would explain some of his more recent play
Bangkok Wildcat

MrBug708 wrote:http://www.armchairallamericans.com/mem ... ck-mother/

Wow, what a monster and a terrible human being Lavar is.....can you imagine the guilt these kids would feel if their Mom passed and they hadn't been allowed to see her?

On a sidenote, this is why I respect you and your opinion so much here as a rival fan....you are a straight shooter Bug...kudos. I want to wish you luck but I struggle with my dislike of Alford and Lavar....ughhhh...ok, never mind, lol. Good luck to the Bruins in the Tourney...kick some butt and represent the P12!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Wow, what a monster and a terrible human being Lavar is.....can you imagine the guilt these kids would feel if their Mom passed and they hadn't been allowed to see her?

On a sidenote, this is why I respect you and your opinion so much here as a rival fan....you are a straight shooter Bug...kudos. I want to wish you luck but I struggle with my dislike of Alford and Lavar....ughhhh...ok, never mind, lol. Good luck to the Bruins in the Tourney...kick some butt and represent the P12!

FWIW, This was posted on Reddit early in the afternoon and was largely debunked, mostly due to the questionable source and hilariously incorrect IP tracking part. Im not sure which parts are true, if any of them are.
Bangkok Wildcat

MrBug708 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

FWIW, This was posted on Reddit early in the afternoon and was largely debunked, mostly due to the questionable source and hilariously incorrect IP tracking part. Im not sure which parts are true, if any of them are.
Fair enough...even if it was all fiction Lavar is still a huge dbag, no? Also, are his other kids any good? I mean 'UCLA good'?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gelo, no. Melo, probably
Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks Bug.

Steve Kerr's take on whacko Lavar:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1892 ... o-ball-dad
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Gelo, no. Melo, probably
Gelo needs to lose 25 pounds fast. Melo, it depends on how he matures physically. He can barely dunk, and if you want to produce at a high level like that, you'd better be Steph Curry, and Melo isn't Steph.

He gets more athletic and adds a few inches and I can see him as a contributor at UCLA. When Lavar wants one billion, about 999,999,999 of that is Lonzo, though.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Some of Lonzo's quotes make you think he's going to dump pops like the steaming turd he is as soon as he gets to the League.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Puerco wrote:Some of Lonzo's quotes make you think he's going to dump pops like the steaming turd he is as soon as he gets to the League.
That would probably be very smart on multiple levels.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I don't think Lavar is helping them much but maybe I'm the only one who finds him entertaining. He's kinda like Bill Walton that way. The ridiculous is the shtick.

I think the odds Lonzo drops him after he gets to the NBA are close to nothing.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

"He's chasing Lonzo and has the same mindset," LaVar said of LiAngelo. "He's a different type of player. He's 6-foot-6, 240 pounds, and is a scorer. He might average 20 next year, maybe even close to 30 a game. He's been a scorer all his life. He's led Chino Hills in scoring all four years. UCLA is losing all their scorers -- Lonzo, TJ [Leaf] and [Isaac] Hamilton. Nobody who's coming in is a better scorer than Gelo."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So is papa Ball going to say he is better than Chuck? Kind of the same build. Who Gets him the ball?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion