Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

jigsaw

Re: Sean Miller

Post by jigsaw »

I'm no expert, but I still think even a meeting that results in a vote for the board to recess into executive session for the purpose of receiving legal advice still needs to be publicly noticed under OML. My bet is that meetings are happening/have happened -- but they are not with ABOR.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
NYCat wrote:
“247Sports sources with knowledge of the content of the audio tapes – which remain under a federal seal – believe they would exonerate the coach of ESPN’s allegations.“

Bam. Of course those “sources” are probably Sean Miller or those close to him.
My fingers are so crossed they're turning white.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

jigsaw wrote:I'm no expert, but I still think even a meeting that results in a vote for the board to recess into executive session for the purpose of receiving legal advice still needs to be publicly noticed under OML. My bet is that meetings are happening/have happened -- but they are not with ABOR.
It's definitely an ABOR meeting. Bill Ridenour speaks for the board, and he sent the email yesterday.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sean Miller is a witch
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ESPN has now updated their story on the hiring and promotion of assistants for Alabama football, published on February 22.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

God, if any fan base deserved some good news it's us.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

keep him and ride the wave till the end of the season, then part ways.

best case scenario for Arizona and its fans
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:ESPN has now updated their story on the hiring and promotion of assistants for Alabama football, published on February 22.
Does it still say Miller instead of Mills?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Doesn't account for burner phones tho, if of course Miller had them
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXcats, what your take on when this meetings gonna end/Annoucment come out?

2pm? 5pm?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:
Longhorned wrote:ESPN has now updated their story on the hiring and promotion of assistants for Alabama football, published on February 22.
Does it still say Miller instead of Mills?
Yep, still "Miller taunted by fan" for a story about Patty Mills being taunted by a fan.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:Doesn't account for burner phones tho, if of course Miller had them
Lol I could totally picture Miller busting a clam shell phone in half ala Walter white style on breaking bad.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Regardless what happens, I'm proud about how outspoken and passionate our fan base has been throughout this situation. Power in numbers.
jigsaw

Post by jigsaw »

TatetheGreat wrote:
jigsaw wrote:I'm no expert, but I still think even a meeting that results in a vote for the board to recess into executive session for the purpose of receiving legal advice still needs to be publicly noticed under OML. My bet is that meetings are happening/have happened -- but they are not with ABOR.
It's definitely an ABOR meeting. Bill Ridenour speaks for the board, and he sent the email yesterday.
I see that Ridenour issued a statement on the 25th, after a publicly-noticed special emergency meeting on the 24th. Did he send something else yesterday?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:PHXcats, what your take on when this meetings gonna end/Annoucment come out?

2pm? 5pm?
This I have no idea on
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

posted elsewhere on why i prefer to let him finish the season

=============================================================================================================================================

fire him now without cause and it’s a panic admission of guilt move that would ripple - stand behind him and fight to the end would be galvanizing and powerful on and off the floor.

after the dust settles and the season ends, regardless of result, mutually agree to go separate ways.

then, make a new/fresh hire dovetailing off the loyalty, patience, and energy exhibited to the former.

to me the best case scenario is to have the Miller Mothership all pissed off and cranky for a energized push in March, assuming Trier gets cleared as well.

i see a potential lining up of the stars if he gets through today and is on the floor Thursday.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

The fact he's handing over phone records etc. Tells me he's confident and knows damn well he's good. He has to be back imo. Why part ways after the season? Miller can build this back up and why wouldn't u wanna come play for him after this shit?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

97cats wrote:posted elsewhere on why i prefer to let him finish the season

=============================================================================================================================================

fire him now without cause and it’s a panic admission of guilt move that would ripple - stand behind him and fight to the end would be galvanizing and powerful on and off the floor.

after the dust settles and the season ends, regardless of result, mutually agree to go separate ways.

then, make a new/fresh hire dovetailing off the loyalty, patience, and energy exhibited to the former.

to me the best case scenario is to have the Miller Mothership all pissed off and cranky for a energized push in March, assuming Trier gets cleared as well.

i see a potential lining up of the stars if he gets through today and is on the floor Thursday.
The one weak link in this approach is Romar...having a former head coach for the Pac-12 in the passenger seat right now means there is a third way.

It is almost a vote of confidence because it validates Miller's hiring of Romar, I could see a "soft" out right now by releasing a a statement form Miller who would say that for the sake of the team and the University (martyr mode "on") and to keep things in focus he is stepping away...

It MIGHT be a mutually encouraged move but certainly a third and viable option because of Romars pedigree.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller ain’t resigning, his lawyers doing work. He’s gonna fight this all the way
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

The one weak link in this approach is Romar...having a former head coach for the Pac-12 in the passenger seat right now means there is a third way.

It is almost a vote of confidence because it validates Miller's hiring of Romar, I could see a "soft" out right now by releasing a a statement form Miller who would say that for the sake of the team and the University (martyr mode "on") and to keep things in focus he is stepping away...

It MIGHT be a mutually encouraged move but certainly a third and viable option because of Romars pedigree.
If he was gonna walk away why hand over ur personal records? Clear sign he wants to finish with this team
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Something specific that makes you feel like that or just a gut feeling?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Its my belief that the administration can make personnel decisions (suspend, fire w/o cause, fire w/cause, etc) without ABOR prior approval - at least, that would seem to be normal operating procedures....

OTOH, ABOR approval would be required for any negotiated settlement (e. g., negotiated retirement with new financial arrangements not already in the current, appoved contract)...

So, I would expect that someting along these lines might be the outcome of a special, crisis meeting....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CatHoops wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

If he was gonna walk away why hand over ur personal records? Clear sign he wants to finish with this team
Because NOT handing them over is a soft admission of guilt.

They are phone records not the wiretaps...I get that the rumor is they don't coincide with the Dawkins claim, but even if they did there it does not incriminate him as much as withholding them.

I'm not saying Miller is not going to fight, just that his relationship with the Uni has never been adversarial (and probably never will be unless push comes to shove)...at this point it is in everyone's best interest to maintain a united front a soft "paid leave" while the dust settles MIGHT be feasible with such a prominent assistant coach in the wings.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Very astute point PC I hadn’t considered that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How do you tell boosters to pay up if he is resigning?
No way he "mutually agrees" to leave without a big bag of cash.
Right now, if they force him out I believe they would owe 8-10 mil.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

that $10 million figure was bogus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I remember reading somewhere that if they fire him with cause they won't have to pay him the $10 mil.
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc15.co ... eport.html" target="_blank

Forde on Sean Miller on @ESPN680 ... "There was nothing in the documents we reviewed that implicated Sean Miller.....do we have anything specifically in those documents that said Sean Miller was involved, no."

— Andy Sweeney (@TheOnlySweeney) February 27, 2018
Last edited by walk-on-wildcat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

scumdevils86 wrote:that $10 million figure was bogus.
True but to fire him without cause enters into that territory...at this point (especially with the espn story starting to smell rotten) firing him without cause lands in the "big payout avoid litigation" side of the Athletic department ledger and there are quite a few accounts payable lining up there already...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:Its my belief that the administration can make personnel decisions (suspend, fire w/o cause, fire w/cause, etc) without ABOR prior approval - at least, that would seem to be normal operating procedures....

OTOH, ABOR approval would be required for any negotiated settlement (e. g., negotiated retirement with new financial arrangements not already in the current, appoved contract)...

So, I would expect that someting along these lines might be the outcome of a special, crisis meeting....
That's right, even though regents and trustees intervene in important matters under the heading of "policy guidance."

I don't remember, though -- why do we think the ABOR rather than just the AD and campus is involved in anything today?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I mean that right now they don't have cause so they would owe whatever is left on his contract.
They wouldn't have access to the wiretaps, he hasn't been charged, Ayton has been cleared, I don't see cause.
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

Oh and nobody with half a brain would reingest a known banned substance when drug tested riggoresly, that doesn’t give you a single lick of an advantage. And sat out 18 games last year for ingesting it without his knowledge. Hmmm....
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The Arizona Board of Regents did not meet Monday and is not expected to convene Tuesday, as questions swirl about basketball coach Sean Miller's future at the UA.

The Regents convened an emergency executive session on Saturday, one day after an ESPN report connected Miller to the FBI's ongoing pay-for-play scandal. Board chair Bill Ridenour said then that the board was "committed to meeting in the next several days as new information becomes available and to receive additional legal advice.”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh man. So if they’re waiting, that’s better?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Guess it isn't happening today
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Take this bit of info for what it is. But I have a close business friends who’s son is best friends with millers son at salpoint. Actually have met Braden Miller at my job. Braden said he heard from dad(Miller) that he isn’t going to be fired and is back. Not sure what to make of this info but just to hope it’s correct.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Rhett probably didn't think his dad was going to be fired
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So next thing we look at is he at practice today? If not why and one would have to think he would not be on the bench Thursday I would assume
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

This is wild west. We were built on a dream and resistance to the establishment rules meant to enrich the establishment. We came out here from different backgrounds and beliefs to build our own dynasty. We may disagree on things and call each other bad fans sometimes, but the truth is despite that we are loyal to the core.

You want to win loyalty from coaches, athletes and prospective students? If the evidence doesn't back ESPN's claims, and the ABOR comes out in support of Miller for the rest of the season, you are going to see a groundswell of alumi support like the school as NEVER seen.

Arizona vs. The World

Make it so ABOR. Make it so.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man. This day just got that much longer...
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

NYCat wrote:Rhett probably didn't think his dad was going to be fired
Can confirm both he and Raquel were blindsided. But RR was borderline going to be fired for performance regardless so better to cut the tie. Miller is different
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Well back in the "leaving for Marland days" one of the older sons was asked in front of entire cafeteria at school if his dad, CSM, was leaving.
He replied that they were leaving because of moms allergies.
This was in total jest and making fun of all the internet rumors. My daughter was in cafeteria at the time.

My point is that I believe CSM talks to his kids about this stuff.

Edit: could have been the NC state job. I don't recall which school
Last edited by Postmaster on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

NYCat wrote:Rhett probably didn't think his dad was going to be fired
Yeah man I don’t know what to thinks of it. He didn’t to come to me with it but I asked what he knew because we have meet millers son when he came in with my business friends son. Not trying to be cool or anything just I would drop what I am hearing from a friend close to the situation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Oh man. So if they’re waiting, that’s better?
The less ABOR, the better. In terms of the situation, they're the body most likely to knee jerk this.

More time means more actual information. If actual information isn't good for Miller, he shouldn't be here to begin with.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
The less ABOR, the better. In terms of the situation, they're the body most likely to knee jerk this.

More time means more actual information. If actual information isn't good for Miller, he shouldn't be here to begin with.
Does more time mean miller is on the bench Thursday? You’d think the university has to come out with something concrete before then.

Also does more time mean that the sun city olds and asu partisans on the ABOR need to be won over?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Does more time mean miller is on the bench Thursday? You’d think the university has to come out with something concrete before then.

Also does more time mean that the sun city olds and asu partisans on the ABOR need to be won over?
I think it depends on what's come out. If Miller gave up phone records that rebut the ESPN claim, I would think extra time is chasing any additional evidence and preparing for a possible return with a concurrent announcement.

It could be extra time for a negotiated exit. What it isn't is a reactionary rush to fire. That is what I find as the major positive.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles wrote:Take this bit of info for what it is. But I have a close business friends who’s son is best friends with millers son at salpoint. Actually have met Braden Miller at my job. Braden said he heard from dad(Miller) that he isn’t going to be fired and is back. Not sure what to make of this info but just to hope it’s correct.
That's better than anything ESPN's Failbach can put out.