Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TatetheGreat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by TatetheGreat »

Email sent to media today:
Pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.02, notice is hereby given to members of the Arizona Board of Regents and to the general public that members of the Arizona Board of Regents will meet on Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. at the board office, 2020 North Central Avenue, Suite 230, Phoenix, Arizona 85004. It is expected that one or more members of the board will participate via conference call.

The board will convene in executive session pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03 (A) (1), (3) and (4) for legal advice and discussion regarding University of Arizona men's basketball and the multiple-year employment contract for head men's basketball coach.

Pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.02 (H), the board may discuss and take action concerning any matter listed on the agenda.

Pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.03(A) (3), the board may convene in executive session
during the meeting to receive legal advice regarding any matter listed on the agenda.

The agenda may be amended at any time prior to 24 hours before the board meeting.

Estimated starting times for the agenda items are indicated; however, discussions may commence, or action may be taken, before or after the suggested times. Any item on the agenda may be considered at any time out of order at the discretion of the board chair.

It is anticipated the meeting will adjourn at 3:00 p.m.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:
NYCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Told you guys. ABOR has our back
Unfortunately they don't make the decision
Robbins has been a big fan of Miller and has stood by him twice now. ABOR support helps a lot as do the fans and biggest boosters
Yes, no doubt. Among other things, the ABOR guides decision-making at the U of A. The AD and president aren't going to have information that the ABOR doesn't have. And in reality, the same goes for the top boosters. So it will be difficult to imagine that Robbins and Heeke make a decision that's based on legal consultation regarding potential consequences that these other bodies aren't privy to. The booster news is an interesting development.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

billk78 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
520in480 wrote:97, two questions for you. 1. Given the amount of people involved in the recruitment and payment of players - coaches, players, families, agents, shoe companies, etc. - surely there are bound to be individuals who feel they have been wronged and seek revenge by blowing the whistle on the whole operation. Any idea why this hasn't happened? And 2., I heard from a friend who spoke with the mother of a former player over a year ago. According to him, she said some former players were not high on Miller because they felt there were shady deals going down. Have you heard anything like this?
Kobi Simmons?
Lot of Team Kobi and Atlanta dudes always throwing a TON of shade on Miller on Twitter. Some of those ATl guys seem very vindictive. Completely spaced that.
It's not Miller's fault Kobi Simmons sucks at basketball. Add Grant Jerrett to that Miller hate list.

Anyone who has succeeded here has nothing but praise for Miller. I highly doubt Nick Johnson was paid to come to Arizona and he has been backing Miller 100% and more. Kevin Parrom? Same thing.
Goes without saying. There's always at least one mad guy on every team. Jerrett became a huge piece as the season progressed. Kobi couldnt get the ball in the hoop and didn't care to defend at the level he was capable of. Hard to deny Rawle minutes when he was playing at a very high level in the second half of conference season.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Very interesting. And if we are talking risk, and top boosters are privey to similar levels of information, and they are coming out in favor of Miller inspite of the perceived risk...

Let get him on the court...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Btw Newport dropping knowledge, thanks dude.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Mike Hopkins at UW went all in.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Olsondogg wrote:Mike Hopkins at UW went all in.
ecurbh

Post by ecurbh »

“Everybody’s talking about this tape of Sean Miller, well, where is it?” Hopkins said. “Has anybody listened to it?”

Since the tapes are under a federal seal, if one of the reporters writing about the tapes has heard it, then one of the defendants will have violated the terms of the protective order.

The mutual decision between Miller and The University of Arizona to not have him coach this past Saturday against the Oregon Ducks also irks coach Hopkins.

“He can’t coach because somebody said that it exists?” Hopkins added while shrugging his shoulders. “Again if it is then he shouldn’t be coaching, but if it’s not then where is it? Where is it, what is it? Because some Twitter guys came out and said there’s this tape, but again that’s me, and I’d love to hear it, wouldn’t you?”

“It’s hard for me to believe that a guy doesn’t coach because of an accusation and no one in the administration or no one in the NCAA has heard it,” Hopkins continued. “Is that crazy? Am I crazy?”
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... estigation" target="_blank
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I hope they make the tournament now
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Mike Hopkins at UW went all in.
I always was fond of UW, even when they were our main rivals. I like the cut of his jib.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

my son and I visited Seattle a few years ago and went to a Washington football game, we had a terrific time. the campus was gorgeous and the people were great.

it’s a pretty darn good school too.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I’m not about to compliment UW but good on Hopkins for not being a dingleberry. Miller should still win coach of the year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:my son and I visited Seattle a few years ago and went to a Washington football game, we had a terrific time. the campus was gorgeous and the people were great.

Oh yeah. UW is beauuuutiful. My uncle taught there for years, and we spent a lot of time on and around that campus. The whole university district area is great. And yes, great people too. I love Seattle.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Will Miller have to testify at Book's trial in 2019? Hard to imagine him coaching during that time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:my son and I visited Seattle a few years ago and went to a Washington football game, we had a terrific time. the campus was gorgeous and the people were great.

Prettiest campus I've ever been too. The views of Mount Rainier in the distance are incredible and a backdrop for so much of the campus and Husky Stadium. I know people on this board have beef, but I liked them as a kid and if I have a second favorite Pac school, it's the Huskies.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd live in the Pacific NW in the summer and Tucson in the winter.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats, thanks for your generous and patient contribution. You answer below to a question about retaining Romar leads me to another question at the end:
97cats wrote:
well first from AZ's perspective thats from another university and there is only allegations and a yahoo report.

plus, like it or not, in the college basketball circles Arizona has been the hot topic inside this scandal, not Washington. as much as i feel like there is culpability to spread around, Arizona is the big fish here and in some cases, depending who you speak with, the biggest offender.

lets make no bones about it, Arizona has made ZERO friends among its peers over the last 7 years on the recruiting trail and in some cases has burned bridges and lived on the edge.

being brazen can be great but it can also be a weakness, and Sean Miller & Co went about their business answering to nobody except the top line boosters and the former AD.

lets just say that there seems to me, certainly over the last 9 months, to be a harden fast microscope on AZ around the country in these circles and no question people who were living just to expose AZ.

Pat Forde even said so himself eluding to the smoke around AZ's program for years, inside college bball its just known or perceived to be known that AZ's machine is more capitalized and aggressive than yours, hence why the CATS can compete and have success against the traditional guys (Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, etc.) on the recruiting trail.

where it has failed miller was a translation to the floor and a final four, which woulda done him a ton of good in Tucson with the powers that be and their willingness to protect their commodity.
So, it came down to a Sean Miller risk/reward ratio? He was backed by local money and took recruiting to task (in a way different than Lute did) and raised the ire of those East of Tucson, but a lack of FFs combined with the taint of the FBI/Book scandal led to a repricing of him as a risk asset? As the 10 year note yield rises every player has to rejigger their price models for stocks. Is that what's going on at UofA?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Little known Odogg fact. Every family member from a large catholic family went to Arizona, mainly because when my Grandparents moved from Iowa to Tucson, my grandfather got a job at UA and tuition was free....anyhow, I was destined to attend Arizona...but I applied to one other school and was accepted.

UW

Always been hard for me to hate them, even when they beat us. Now Romar, now this. Crazy.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I’m not about to compliment UW but good on Hopkins for not being a dingleberry. Miller should still win coach of the year.
Hopkins quote(s) were hilarious and Miller should win Nation Coach of the Year as well
Olsondogg wrote:

Little known Odogg fact. Every family member from a large catholic family went to Arizona, mainly because when my Grandparents moved from Iowa to Tucson, my grandfather got a job at UA and tuition was free....anyhow, I was destined to attend Arizona...but I applied to one other school and was accepted.

UW

Always been hard for me to hate them, even when they beat us. Now Romar, now this. Crazy.
UW is an excellent school, I'm impressed
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

This is beyond ridiculous. So we have a bogus report that has been proven to be pretty much bullshit due to inaccuracies. The author of the report has gone radio silent. Top boosters support Miller. We have opposing coaches now asking why Miller isn't coaching.

Miller must have told our AD about some shady shit otherwise this makes no sense why they have yet to address this and make a decision.
Last edited by Dosia on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think it's cool that you can take a boat to the stadium at UW.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't know how much more of this I can take. I got into a thread on twitter about Dan Bickley making fun of Scheer and it has ended up with his band making some lame ass joke about Arizona grads, and me and JMark responding to said band, and Bickly liking the band's comments to us.

This fucking clown show has to end.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Wonder if we can get Hopkins on the ABOR. Somebody nominate him.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If Miller isn't on the sideline tomorrow, the AD and Pres are sack less.

Count me in on UW being a great campus and university. Top notch medical center as well.

Never disliked the Huskies even during the height of the Romar years.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Dan Dickley was trying to say he had never heard of Jason before despite his network scheduling him. Hate people who have no clue ranting. Especially when trying to defend Hansen when he was wrong.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Whisky's Quicker?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:Whisky's Quicker?
That is the name of that douche's band
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:Whisky's Quicker?
Yup
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Man that guy Bickley has some fresh clever jokes.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Easy.

With open arms.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

It is way past time for Robbins and Heeke to make an official statement. Neither of them has done so at all. The only official statements were from Miller, saying he would be vindicated, and from the lawyer's statement on Ayton having given statements to the FBI, NCAA, and UA. The only comment from UA administration was from Robbins, when he was cornered after the golf tournament. And that was just a mealy-mouthed "we are still looking at things".

Robbins and Heeke are being sniveling cowards! They need to come out and actually SAY something. And, TBH, I would much rather see those two douches go before Miller. I have absolutely no respect for either of them, with both of them doing everything they can to avoid saying anything.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sports center has been running this video several times today

97cats

Post by 97cats »

TMZ -- that's what I thought the whole time, from the background music to the dialogue
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

NYCat wrote:Sports center has been running this video several times today

Wonder what part 2 will be named.

How about the lies and fall of an east coast sports "news" network
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I'm sure ESPN will do a 30 for 30 on the basketball program.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Maybe Jalen rose will produce it.
-Norlander.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The only punchline with the wiretap is how ESPN handled it. FUCK ESPN I WANNA FIGHT AGAIN
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

No way this isn't finalized tomorrow right?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

How long does it take to squeeze 20 mil out of a cable network?
-Norlander.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Fuckkkk that noise

If we're going rise and fall of MIller then give me

or

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is that an ozzy cover band?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This hasn’t even been settled yet. Isn’t that a litle cocky of them? Are they basing this on their bogus article?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:

Fuckkkk that noise

If we're going rise and fall of MIller then give me

or

That Coming Home video I've watched over 100 times. Ugh :(
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

This is a blatant FUCK YOU to Arizona and Miller, they seem intent on promoting an agenda here and Miller/Ayton/et al should get serious about litigation...

It is not longer about them reporting they are trying to create the narrative as it goes...

I can guarantee they have never heard the tapes, so of they are basing these allegations on some phony story they need to be sued for damages post haste.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:I’m not about to compliment UW but good on Hopkins for not being a dingleberry. Miller should still win coach of the year.
Yeah no love for uw from me here. Can't stand their basketball program. Ok, I don't care lately but the height of Romar I hated them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just felt something watching those video's. Miller cares. He Cares about our history. He came in and embraced Lute and our accomplishments and never tried to overstep his importance.

He graciously praised Lute and his former players and built off that legacy while NEVER moving the focus on knowing what expectations are at AZ (Winning every game) built by Lute.

Now here we are, the night before we find out his fate. I can't help but think he is our Frank Kush. Will he be treated horribly and will we feel jilted. Will we be a ghost of what we were?

In any event, thanks coach for caring so much you did what you had too to fill the expectations. Know we are behind you and wish you nothing but good luck
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:TMZ -- that's what I thought the whole time, from the background music to the dialogue
Insult to TMZ, TBH

Look, ESPN (a Disney company) is in the business of clicks, page views, and eyeballs to get ad revenue. Just like fake news MSM, they will report shaky, sensational shit, even if that means ruining a life, if that story gets the clicks and eyeballs. This one does, so press on. They are legendary trolls on the masses.

Ps - even if completely false, there is little recourse for Miller to sue because he's a public figure, and ESPN can quite easily not show the malice standard. Oh well.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My preparations for today's news:

- Hand massage this morning for rapid fire F5 all day - CHECK
- Stopped by church and lit a candle for CSM and Zo - CHECK
- Meds taken - CHECK
- Moved all breakable items out of room - CHECK
- Separate computer just for BDW updates - CHECK

Guess I'm ready to go.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
Plenty of coaches have been punished by the NCAA and retained their job.

Boeheim, Pitino and Calhoun among recent national championship coaches, off the top of my head.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Izzo our there on the sidelines. Altman. Cal for fucks sake.