Re: ASU blows

Post by scumdevils86 »

If they lose Wednesday they will drop out
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:If they lose Wednesday they will drop out
Yep.

Wouldn't it be great if they lose to 'Rado and not make the Tourney and then we stomp on old Taddy boy in the next game.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I think we do need to give credit where credit is due. The asshats did an amazing job for conference RPI this year. I mean holy shit without their big wins we would have been even more of a laughing stock. And then coming into conference play and getting steam rolled - that's exactly what the rest of us needed. Well done asshats. They were the anti-UCLA.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just don't understand why everyone is convinced that the conference is weak. We all know what November and December is all about. It's not like UCLA or USC had a disastrous pre-conference. ASU and Washington brought it. And I'm telling you, Stanford and Oregon are solid teams.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Well it’s not what it was last year and even 8th place last year would be pretty crappy.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:I just don't understand why everyone is convinced that the conference is weak. We all know what November and December is all about. It's not like UCLA or USC had a disastrous pre-conference. ASU and Washington brought it. And I'm telling you, Stanford and Oregon are solid teams.
Eye test I agree. But most national writers and commentators and personalities don't watch all the games. All the metrics are awful for the conference
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Tied for 8th in conference. Nice work.

Needing to win the tourney to make the NCAAs after that start is #ClassicASUBasketball #Reality
threenumberones

Longhorned wrote:I just don't understand why everyone is convinced that the conference is weak. We all know what November and December is all about. It's not like UCLA or USC had a disastrous pre-conference. ASU and Washington brought it. And I'm telling you, Stanford and Oregon are solid teams.
There is some quality, sure. We have shown flashes no doubt. The problem is lack of firepower at the top. Can you really differentiate between our #2 team and our #8? Typically that depth in the middle doesn't earn us anything but an 'attaboy' come mid-March.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Taeshon Cherry expelled from school.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 393740002/" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

I am at a loss as how people still think ASU is a tourney team. They are now 58 in the RPI, behind USC, UCLA, and UTAH. USC and UCLA can both make the case to some of their losses as they haven’t had a full team. Most of the “experts” has ASU in and USC/UCLA wither Last in or Last out and UTAH isn’t anywhere to be seen.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... etball-rpi" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

threenumberones wrote:
There is some quality, sure. We have shown flashes no doubt. The problem is lack of firepower at the top. Can you really differentiate between our #2 team and our #8? Typically that depth in the middle doesn't earn us anything but an 'attaboy' come mid-March.
Can I make the argument that the strength of the middle is such that they beat down the #3 team in the country back in January?
threenumberones

Longhorned wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
Can I make the argument that the strength of the middle is such that they beat down the #3 team in the country back in January?
You can, and there is some validity to that. The problem is the media and/or coaches didn't really reward us for it. There was no talk of 'running the gauntlet' in the PAC, and our rankings didn't seem to favor us being in a challenging league. In the end perception is reality and we are going to get the short end of the stick when the seeds come out. Of course just like every year, we have a chance to step up and get folks attention as a conference by overachieving - but by then it's not much more than a moral victory.

Wahh wahh wahhhhh. How's that for debbie downer eh?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

threenumberones wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
You can, and there is some validity to that. The problem is the media and/or coaches didn't really reward us for it. There was no talk of 'running the gauntlet' in the PAC, and our rankings didn't seem to favor us being in a challenging league. In the end perception is reality and we are going to get the short end of the stick when the seeds come out. Of course just like every year, we have a chance to step up and get folks attention as a conference by overachieving - but by then it's not much more than a moral victory.

Wahh wahh wahhhhh. How's that for debbie downer eh?
I just feel like they want to have their cake and eat it, too, and pie as well.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

jajoyce wrote:I am at a loss as how people still think ASU is a tourney team. They are now 58 in the RPI, behind USC, UCLA, and UTAH. USC and UCLA can both make the case to some of their losses as they haven’t had a full team. Most of the “experts” has ASU in and USC/UCLA wither Last in or Last out and UTAH isn’t anywhere to be seen.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... etball-rpi" target="_blank
They aren't going to make the tourney with a 58 rpi and tied for 8th in the pac

The real question seems to be Utah at 48 and 4th in the pac with the guess being we're just a 3 bid league
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Whatever you do for a living, you better hope you're never an "expert".
cpt

Post by cpt »

About to be NIT bound
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hope Guard U enjoys the bubble.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We need "Bubble U" shirts, stat
cats101

Post by cats101 »

From number 3 to NIT.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:We need "Bubble U" shirts, stat
It should be the Guard U shirts with Guard crossed out and Bubble written in.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It can still say ‘Guard U’ but the shirt itself should be made out of bubble wrap.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:We need "Bubble U" shirts, stat
It should be the Guard U shirts with Guard crossed out and Bubble written in.
I made this very thing with google images and the windows snipping tool, but I can't get it uploaded...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

fuck ASU
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

NYCat wrote:
Wow, Tra Holder is such a little punk with that classless move! So ASU....smh.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASU was a win in McKale from being #1 or #2 in the country.

If they are out (which they should be), their tears will taste so sweet.

Fuck ASU
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fuck ASSU but Tad has no business grandstanding on that play. Fuck him and the Buffalo he rode In on
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:fuck ASU
Yes.

So enjoyed their free fall the last two months. Almost better than enjoying an Arizona win. Almost.
cpt

Post by cpt »

CBS Bracketology has them OUT.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cpt wrote:CBS Bracketology has them OUT.
Still in contention for a top seed like in December. Just a different tourney now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bracket matrix has them as an 11 seed. Current brackets show them anywhere from a 9-12 and like a third have them out.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

They have no excuses for their dismal finish. No injuries. They dropped 5 of their last 6 and that only win was at home against Cal. If they get in, it's by the skin of their teeth.
cpt

Post by cpt »

If ASU gets in, there's going to be a few Pac-12 schools that don't get in that will be pretty pissed. Washington and Oregon swept them and have similar RPIs and probably won't get in. Stanford did too but their RPI is in the 80s.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am going to be the contrarian here by wanting them to get in. I think the PAC gets a bad rap as a bad conference this year. I think we are much better than people think.

I would like to see us get 4 in with ASSU being the 4th along with us and the LA schools. It will be tough on all of them though as at best our second team is probably going to get a 9 seed
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Utah - who they split with - also won't get in and they have a significantly higher RPI.
cpt

Post by cpt »

The conference season either means something or it doesn't. Utah, Oregon and Washington all had winning Pac-12 records and better or similar RPIs, while either sweeping ASU (Oregon, Washington) or splitting with them (Utah, which has a 49 RPI to ASU's 65).
cpt

Post by cpt »

azcat49 wrote:I am going to be the contrary an here buy I want them to get in. I think the PAC gets a bad rap as a bad conference this year. I think we are much better than people think.

I would like to see us get 4 in with ASSU being the 4th along with us and the LA schools. It will be tough on all of them though as at best our second team is probably going to get a 9 seed
I'm all for the Pac-12 getting a fourth team. But based on merit it should either be Utah, Oregon or Washington - not ASU.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I might give you Oregon if they win tonight (which I think they will) but ASSU has lost a bunch of close games and their OOC wins are impressive. No way Utah or UDUB get close. They are both NIT bound
cpt

Post by cpt »

azcat49 wrote:I might give you Oregon if they win tonight (which I think they will) but ASSU has lost a bunch of close games and their OOC wins are impressive. No way Utah or UDUB get close. They are both NIT bound
Well, there's the issue for the committee:

Team 1: impressive non-conference record, including two very quality wins over top seeds, but losing conference record, 65 RPI, 4-6 in last 10 (including 1-5 in last 6) and loss in first round of conference tournament.
Team 2: Ok, non-conference record, winning conference record, 1-1 against team 1, 2-0 against team 3, 49 RPI, loss in first round of conference tournament, 6-4 in last 10
Team 3: Decent non-conference record, including one quality win over a top seed, winning conference record, 1-0 record against Team 1, 0-2 against Team 2, 4-6 in last 10 games, 67 RPI loss in first round of conference tournament.
Team 4: so-so non-conference, winning conference record, 2-0 against Team 1, 1-1 against Team 2, 2-0 against Team 3, 7-3 in last 10 games, still playing in conference tournament, 69 RPI

If I'm on the committee, and I am taking a fourth from this conference - and I agree the conference warrants that -- I'm taking Team 2. Best conference record and best RPI. If you reward ASU for those two wins -- which were on Nov. 24 and Dec. 10 - you basically are saying as long as you beat a team out of the gate that turns out to be good, you don't have to do shit the rest of the way. That's a terrible message. Championship resumes are built Jan-March not Nov-Dec.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I am going to be the contrary an here buy I want them to get in. I think the PAC gets a bad rap as a bad conference this year. I think we are much better than people think.

First, I never want any good for ASU.

The thing with ASU is they have not looked close to being good enough to be a tourney team since December. You look at their play since conference play began, it isn't really even NIT level. Yes, they had some good OOC wins, but since then, they are not an NCAA team and it ain't close.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

They are getting desperate...

-JB
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Well, I guess I know who to cheer AGAINST.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:They are getting desperate...
Desperation is a stinky cologne.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:They are getting desperate...
Desperation is a stinky cologne.
Like Courtney Simpson’s V-gap.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IrishAzCat wrote:Image
Is that for sale somewhere?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sunday it will be "NIT U", save your money.
-JB
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

They should print a shirt with sparky popping that bubble with his fork!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

San Diego State's win over Nevada makes the Mt. West a 2-bid league. Someone's bubble just popped.

If ASU does make the tourney, can't wait to hear the comments from the Devils that they're the non-conference champs and are Final 4 capable.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

zonagrad wrote:San Diego State's win over Nevada makes the Mt. West a 2-bid league. Someone's bubble just popped.

If ASU does make the tourney, can't wait to hear the comments from the Devils that they're the non-conference champs and are Final 4 capable.

I honestly hope they make the NIT Finals and lose to some plucky midmajor
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »