Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:More about the failure of one and dones to help their teams in the tourney but some pretty biting criticism of Miller https://www.theringer.com/march-madness ... e-and-done" target="_blank
That article is dumb. Zo may be a second rounder, but he was very efficent these last two years and it's not odd he took a lot of shots. He was a very, very good offensive player. Miller just reacted to Buffalo stacking Ayton by going to his second best option.

Not all things are measured in pro potential. Miles Simon didn't have the pro potential of Mo Bamba, but who do you want carrying your offense? And Bamba is easily a lottery pick.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

zonagrad wrote:
Merkin wrote:More about the failure of one and dones to help their teams in the tourney but some pretty biting criticism of Miller https://www.theringer.com/march-madness ... e-and-done" target="_blank
I'm not sure the writer understands basketball. Of course Arizona wanted to run everything thru Ayton. But Buffalo defended in a manner that kept him from getting the ball in the post. If you watched the game, Buffalo dared PJC & Trier to make plays. They didn't. Their inability to beat their man off the dribble was the issue. For weeks, opponents zoned Arizona with diminishing results. The trick against Arizona was to pressure the ball and prevent easy post entry passes. When a defense extends pressure, you're guards have the opportunity to attack and make plays. Our guards were dreadful. That's not Ayton's fault. And it's only Miller's fault in that he didn't have a better backcourt to counter ball pressure.
Nailed it
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Hmmmmmm
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Our one and done players have been fantastic (Ayton, Markannen). Our 4th year point guard has been the major issue with early exits.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:Our one and done players have been fantastic (Ayton, Markannen). Our 4th year point guard has been the major issue with early exits.
I don't agree. UA lost vs Xavier because Lauri was scared to shoot and demand the ball and Kadeem had could trouble.

This year PJC was an issue but the entire team lacked heart and toughness and I think PJC was one of the toughest
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

zonagrad wrote:Our one and done players have been fantastic (Ayton, Markannen). Our 4th year point guard has been the major issue with early exits.
Yes the lottery picks are fine. It's the Grant Jarrett's & the Kobi Simmons that kill us. And the folks that leave like Simon and Chance. Chance was breaking out for us at the end of last year. He would have been damn good with this years team and really helped with Dusan's defensive liability on the perimeter.

But oh well. On to next year!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote:
I don't agree. UA lost vs Xavier because Lauri was scared to shoot and demand the ball and Kadeem had could trouble.

This year PJC was an issue but the entire team lacked heart and toughness and I think PJC was one of the toughest
In both cases, the offense was focusing on Zo, who was a ball hog, and horrible at passing to either Laurie or DeAndre...

... and those two major talents were systematically being underutilized - expecially Ayton who spent much of his time on the perimeter.

CSM's tragic flaw has been overemphasizing ball hogs like Zo....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

In both cases, the offense was focusing on Zo, who was a ball hog, and horrible at passing to either Laurie or DeAndre...

... and those two major talents were systematically being underutilized - expecially Ayton who spent much of his time on the perimeter.

I see things completely differently, and I suppose that is okay.

Last year I didnt care about Trier taking so many shots because Lauri clearly did not want to step up. But you are right in that Miller didnt force Lauri to step up and for Trier to pass to Lauri more.

This year Buffalo wasnt letting Ayton get the ball. That was coaching by them to double team and move into passing lanes on Ayton when he DIDNT have the ball. Toughness and heart was the issue vs Buffalo. But I think every team in the nation including Villanova, Virginia, Kansas, Duke etc all lose to Buffalo that night with how they shot from 3. Just those teams dont get punked and lose by 20+
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I see things completely differently, and I suppose that is okay.

Last year I didnt care about Trier taking so many shots because Lauri clearly did not want to step up. But you are right in that Miller didnt force Lauri to step up and for Trier to pass to Lauri more.

This year Buffalo wasnt letting Ayton get the ball. That was coaching by them to double team and move into passing lanes on Ayton when he DIDNT have the ball. Toughness and heart was the issue vs Buffalo. But I think every team in the nation including Villanova, Virginia, Kansas, Duke etc all lose to Buffalo that night with how they shot from 3. Just those teams dont get punked and lose by 20+
No, Virginia got punked and lost by 20 to a 16 seed. The toughness and heart issue had to do with our point guard. You need an Alpha dog at that position.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote: No, Virginia got punked and lost by 20 to a 16 seed. The toughness and heart issue had to do with our point guard. You need an Alpha dog at that position.
When PJC pretty much admitted that he gave up at halftime when they were down 2, since it felt like 15, that pretty much confirms that PJC was not UA good mentally, besides his obvious physical limitations.

TJ never would have said that, and would not have let the other teammates feel that way either.

Besides letting your man blow by you constantly.

Jason Gardner and Mark Lyons never would have given up either.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
zonagrad wrote: No, Virginia got punked and lost by 20 to a 16 seed. The toughness and heart issue had to do with our point guard. You need an Alpha dog at that position.
When PJC pretty much admitted that he gave up at halftime when they were down 2, since it felt like 15, that pretty much confirms that PJC was not UA good mentally, besides his obvious physical limitations.

TJ never would have said that, and would not have let the other teammates feel that way either.

Besides letting your man blow by you constantly.

Jason Gardner and Mark Lyons never would have given up either.
Yeah. Our starting PG needs to be unflappable and competitive AF. He’s gotta be Manny Pacquiao. A fighter who just keeps punching even when he’s hurt.

Imagine a PG with TJ’s ability and KP’s swagger.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Trier's efficiency numbers look off the chart without context.

Overall offensive rating this year was 125.5, 128.4 in the Pac 12. However, his offensive rating dropped to 118.2 with Tier A and B opponents and dropped even further against Tier A opponents, 103.1. His Tier A turnover percentage went up to 21.2 and assist rate dropped from 17.4 to 15.9. Most alarmingly, his effective FG % dropped from 59.5 to 44.4 against Tier A opponents. It is only a five game sample size, however, it was a huge drop from last year when he was much better against Tier A opponents (123.7 oRtg, 58.3% effective FG, 17.0% assist rate). I just got so damn tired of him not giving up the rock in 2-on-1, 3-on-2 situations and forcing bad shots. That's just me.

Tier A opponents in 2017-2018: N.C State, Purdue, Texas A&M, @Utah, @Arizona State

Tier A opponents in 2016-2017: @UCLA, @Oregon, UCLA, UCLA, Oregon, St. Mary's, Xavier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SabinoDrifter wrote:Trier's efficiency numbers look off the chart without context.

Overall offensive rating this year was 125.5, 128.4 in the Pac 12. However, his offensive rating dropped to 118.2 with Tier A and B opponents and dropped even further against Tier A opponents, 103.1. His Tier A turnover percentage went up to 21.2 and assist rate dropped from 17.4 to 15.9. Most alarmingly, his effective FG % dropped from 59.5 to 44.4 against Tier A opponents. It is only a five game sample size, however, it was a huge drop from last year when he was much better against Tier A opponents (123.7 oRtg, 58.3% effective FG, 17.0% assist rate). I just got so damn tired of him not giving up the rock in 2-on-1, 3-on-2 situations and forcing bad shots. That's just me.

Tier A opponents in 2017-2018: N.C State, Purdue, Texas A&M, @Utah, @Arizona State

Tier A opponents in 2016-2017: @UCLA, @Oregon, UCLA, UCLA, Oregon, St. Mary's, Xavier
So, I don't really think that's awful. Our overall Ortg as a team was 118.2, which was top 15 nationally. If Trier's worst performances were against top competition and he was only 118.2, he produced basically a top 15 game nationally.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:Trier's efficiency numbers look off the chart without context.

So, I don't really think that's awful. Our overall Ortg as a team was 118.2, which was top 15 nationally. If Trier's worst performances were against top competition and he was only 118.2, he produced basically a top 15 game nationally.
Trier's biggest problem was when he was bad, he was really bad. Like, get him off the floor bad. I don't like the ball in his hand because our movement and ball movement would stop. He killed the flow. A better point guard changes all of that by far. Can't say enough how Buffalo scouted our backcourt problems well and executed flawlessly. And our backcourt just let them do it.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

For those who say "Miller's issue was allowing ball hogs like Trier"...

Let's just say that is true, and there is some truth, and I also believe his ball hawking of younger guards stunted some development this year. But say that is true...

how is that a "Miller thing?" Did the teams prior to Trier never exist? Some of the most unselfish we have ever seen? Even Mark Lyons did what he had to do, but everyone got theirs. How is this a Miller thing beyond one 3 year player?
prh

Post by prh »

I agree that comparisons to Lute don't seem very accurate. For me, I think Jay Wright is a pretty good comparison.

In Wright's first 9 seasons at Villanova, he had 12 NCAA tournament wins and 2 E8s. He did have 1 FF, but other than that, there was nothing really spectacular (including regular season). Expanding to his first 14 seasons, he had 14 tournament wins, including a few flameouts with very talented teams. It was finally his 15th season that he got a title there. Then he flamed out again the next season.

In Miller's first 9 seasons here, he has 13 NCAA tourney wins, and 3 E8s. He's had early exits the last 3 years, but the regular season success has been there.

Jay Wright has said he eventually came to a realization that he couldn't win a title with the way he was constructing his teams, and started going for more traditional 4 year players (although Nova hasn't really been a big recruiter anyways).

We just need Sean to have his moment. Maybe the quick success early on delayed the process. Maybe just one different player would have made a different story the last two years (PG). But this seems to be the time for him to have some realization and change his ways. I, for one, want to see what he does now.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

prh wrote:I agree that comparisons to Lute don't seem very accurate.
To me, the value of comparing the two for performance through 1993 and through this year is rather valid. We know the Lute story ending. It was fantastic. But 89-93 were all after he established the program, were all highly seeded teams, and all lost to lesser teams in the tournament, sometimes spectacularly.

Now, 1994 through 2005 is a whole different journey and story. And Lute's build was harder to begin with, but easier to maintain.

The main comparison to me, other than to illustrate just how fickle the one-and-done NCAA tournament can be, is to note if you could transform our fan base in the social media era to 1993, Lute would have been savaged. And it would have been, ultimately, the wrong thing to do.

Other than those points, the eras are incomparable, some factors in favor of each. If 1989-1993 was Lute's learning he had to scrap a style and live out some players, 2016-2018 could be the same for Miller, because prior to that, his only loss to a lesser seed in the tournament was a 1 minus a starter to a 2.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

EVCat wrote:
To me, the value of comparing the two for performance through 1993 and through this year is rather valid. We know the Lute story ending. It was fantastic. But 89-93 were all after he established the program, were all highly seeded teams, and all lost to lesser teams in the tournament, sometimes spectacularly.

Now, 1994 through 2005 is a whole different journey and story. And Lute's build was harder to begin with, but easier to maintain.

The main comparison to me, other than to illustrate just how fickle the one-and-done NCAA tournament can be, is to note if you could transform our fan base in the social media era to 1993, Lute would have been savaged. And it would have been, ultimately, the wrong thing to do.

Other than those points, the eras are incomparable, some factors in favor of each. If 1989-1993 was Lute's learning he had to scrap a style and live out some players, 2016-2018 could be the same for Miller, because prior to that, his only loss to a lesser seed in the tournament was a 1 minus a starter to a 2.
In fact, the already over-entitled U of A fanbase was highly critical of Lute, with many calling for his head on a platter, after Arizona was swept in the Bay area the final weekend of the regular season in 1997...

... of course, every single one of those fans now remember it differently.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
Which led to a style and personnel change, which changed Arizona basketball for the better. Lute adapted to the times. Will Sean Miller ever do that? That's my question. If not then IMO we're just biding time until he ultimately moves on, we ultimately move on, or we remain in a struggling relationship until college basketball dies or Sean retires.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

pc in NM wrote:
EVCat wrote:

In fact, the already over-entitled U of A fanbase was highly critical of Lute, with many calling for his head on a platter, after Arizona was swept in the Bay area the final weekend of the regular season in 1997...

... of course, every single one of those fans now remember it differently.
Truth
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Which led to a style and personnel change, which changed Arizona basketball for the better. Lute adapted to the times. Will Sean Miller ever do that? That's my question. If not then IMO we're just biding time until he ultimately moves on, we ultimately move on, or we remain in a struggling relationship until college basketball dies or Sean retires.
Lute did adapt. He partially did so out of necessity/graduation. He had Khalid and Damon, but a lack of BW/Wookie/Easy Ed made the decision to go to a backcourt dominated motion offense easier. But no one knew what we had in November 1993.

I'd say Miller would be best going back to the style of basketball/style of player he started with at Arizona.

For whatever it is worth, it is worth the hold until we can get clear of whatever is coming our way. And if he digs out of this hole with a more tough-minded, defensive team? Double win. But a move triggered on our side right now is pointless unless a top 10 coach is dying to come ride this out with us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:For those who say "Miller's issue was allowing ball hogs like Trier"...

Let's just say that is true, and there is some truth, and I also believe his ball hawking of younger guards stunted some development this year. But say that is true...

how is that a "Miller thing?" Did the teams prior to Trier never exist? Some of the most unselfish we have ever seen? Even Mark Lyons did what he had to do, but everyone got theirs. How is this a Miller thing beyond one 3 year player?
I think it's more of a Sean Miller lands the players that Sean Miller can land type thing.

He ultimately made a decision to let Tyler Dorsey go (granted he never signed off on the commitment in the first place as he was pigeonholed into accepting a random commitment made public on twitter) and in turn landed Ray Smith, a should be NBA player right now, Justin Simon, a do it all but shoot future point guard, and Allonzo Trier, a scoring guard who could score his ass off. At the time it seemed like a hell of a trade and a no brainer. Three torn ACls, one clash of heads, and one Ostarine built drama saga later we are in the position we're in.

I mean I'm willing to abandon all logic and reason and just say Arizona is cursed. Miller made a move to get a no brainer NBA wing, an actual athletic dynamo of a point guard with size, and a guy who can get you buckets, and in turn you got a guy who never played a single minute for you, a guy who transferred out almost immediately, and a guy who missed most of a season and clashed with just about every one the following year, and the most we got out of it all was a Sweet 16 loss to Sean's old team.

Fuck it all to hell man.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fuck it all to hell man.
Preach
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Lute did adapt. He partially did so out of necessity/graduation. He had Khalid and Damon, but a lack of BW/Wookie/Easy Ed made the decision to go to a backcourt dominated motion offense easier. But no one knew what we had in November 1993.

I'd say Miller would be best going back to the style of basketball/style of player he started with at Arizona.

For whatever it is worth, it is worth the hold until we can get clear of whatever is coming our way. And if he digs out of this hole with a more tough-minded, defensive team? Double win. But a move triggered on our side right now is pointless unless a top 10 coach is dying to come ride this out with us.
I don't disagree with that, recruit players for your system. They may not be 5 star players, but god dammit build your program and run it your way. Don't pigeonhole players who don't fit your system into your system.

Also if he could abandon playing a "true power forward" and go with a long athletic wing at the 4 I'd die happy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Trier's biggest problem was when he was bad, he was really bad. Like, get him off the floor bad. I don't like the ball in his hand because our movement and ball movement would stop. He killed the flow. A better point guard changes all of that by far. Can't say enough how Buffalo scouted our backcourt problems well and executed flawlessly. And our backcourt just let them do it.
You explained my point very well. I'm not blaming Miller, he's our best bet in the current state. Just pointing out the guard play regressed majorly this year with two multi-year contributors.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Has anyone heard the rumor that Amy Miller moved back to Pittsburgh recently?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Has anyone heard the rumor that Amy Miller moved back to Pittsburgh recently?
WTF? First of all, she's from North Carolina if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe it's allergy season in Tucson.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

zonagrad wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Has anyone heard the rumor that Amy Miller moved back to Pittsburgh recently?
WTF? First of all, she's from North Carolina if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe it's allergy season in Tucson.
http://fabwags.com/amy-miller-arizona-w ... lers-wife/" target="_blank
Amy Miller, 46, was born Amy Christine Watterson in Pennsylvania to Susan Watterson and Glenn Watterson II of Darlington. Amy met her famous husband while they were attending at Blackhawk High School, she was a cheerleader, and he was a sophomore transfer student who just joined the basketball team, they started dating while they were in high school and all the way thru college at the University of Pittsburgh.
I have no idea how accurate this is.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I had heard a rumor that Sean and his wife were separating but that was about 1.5 months ago....which funny enough feels like 10 years ago. But then she was at the pac 12 tournament and hugging him after the game so thought the rumor was false

I think all their kids are out of high school now
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:
I had heard a rumor that Sean and his wife were separating but that was about 1.5 months ago....which funny enough feels like 10 years ago. But then she was at the pac 12 tournament and hugging him after the game so thought the rumor was false

I think all their kids are out of high school now

Looks like she deleted her twitter account: https://twitter.com/abballwidow" target="_blank
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

Starting to feel like goodbye
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's been about a million Amy rumors as of late and I can't think of a single one that is true.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dammit all to hell.

Pat Yourselves on your fucking back Tucson media for running a damn good coach and person out of town.
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

I like Miller and would like to see him stay and be successful, but the toll on his family has to be overwhelming
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If this goes down....I really like musselman. If he works out, awesome, if not, we get onhire the replacement in 2-3years.

Totally OSU
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:There's been about a million Amy rumors as of late and I can't think of a single one that is true.
The one about her not liking okra is true.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dammit all to hell.

Pat Yourselves on your fucking back Tucson media for running a damn good coach and person out of town.
Yep. They almost ran Lute out. Twice. Bobbi stopped the Kentucky move.

I honestly can't stand the Star. Hansen & Pascoe have been there forever. Lute didn't respect them. And you know damn well Miller can't stand them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's my reaction to the KVOA story too. I completely get why Miller would want out of the local press circus that he's been subjected to. I'd rather be in Pittsburgh where you're at best 4th in line after the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates.

Hansen's year long inability to write an article without scandal mongering about the FBI investigation wears thin on me and I'm n9t the subject of the article.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote:

Yep. They almost ran Lute out. Twice. Bobbi stopped the Kentucky move.

I honestly can't stand the Star. Hansen & Pascoe have been there forever. Lute didn't respect them. And you know damn well Miller can't stand them.
In honor of Lute, Pascoe must always be referred to as "Columbo". Don't know what nickname he had for Hansen, but I doubt it's something that Lute would say in public.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt ... 1803210149" target="_blank

Miller may have little choice but to stay at AZ. The reality is that he is radioactive after the ESPN story/Book arrest.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Who knows? Miller may just have concluded that he's not "Arizona Good"...

... though, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet - the Pitt President is heavily compliance-oriented. He may be reaching out, but they still have to reach back.

Would love to be a fly on the wall as those communications play out....

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:There's been about a million Amy rumors as of late and I can't think of a single one that is true.
The one about her not liking okra is true.
Well Amy does have food allergies too.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Plz take it if offered Sean
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dmjcat wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt ... 1803210149

Miller may have little choice but to stay at AZ. The reality is that he is radioactive after the ESPN story/Book arrest.
Well no, he has tons of choice. He can quit and go to the NBA or take some time off until he's not radioactive.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Plz take it if offered Sean
He hasn't talked to Pitt since before the ESPN stuff. It's not happening. The Pitt media are just trying to get clicks and the Tucson media just want Miller out cause they're a bunch of worthless morons.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Why would Miller go to the NBA? He requires actual buy in from his players.

Like Larry Brown said, the main difference between college and the NBA is that in college the players still listen to you.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dmjcat wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt ... 1803210149

Well no, he has tons of choice. He can quit and go to the NBA or take some time off until he's not radioactive.
He's staying at Arizona barring Pitt becoming ridiculously desperate and offering a shit ton of a cash.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I believe the youngest son is currently still in high school.