Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IrishAzCat

Re: ASU blows

Post by IrishAzCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Awesome Irish!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Been watching that irish gif for 20 minutes straight... still not bored.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck ASSU “fans”

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Well there you go...
Mike Luke's burner account.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASU basketball is now 0-63 for the PAC-10/PAC-12 conference championships.

Regular season 0-41
Tournament 0-22
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Amidst chatter last night about whether the St. John's opening will way Hurley away from Tempe, found this clueless tweet -
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

"Hurley is already a legend"
~ no one ever
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASU Legend = Ordinary Schmuck Anywhere Else
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

To be fair taking ASU to the tournament twice in your tenure as coach does make you a legend there automatically.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When your basketball program has no PAC championships, and 0 FInal Four appearances, then making it to the NCAAs is a grand achievement.

And not to thrown stones in glass houses, similar to Arizona football I imagine with no sole PAC championships and no Rose Bowl appearances.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:When your basketball program has no PAC championships, and 0 FInal Four appearances, then making it to the NCAAs is a grand achievement.

And not to thrown stones in glass houses, similar to Arizona football I imagine with no sole PAC championships and no Rose Bowl appearances.
On that note RR took Arizona to 4 straight bowl games 5 in 6 years and nobody considered him a legend.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:When your basketball program has no PAC championships, and 0 FInal Four appearances, then making it to the NCAAs is a grand achievement.

On that note RR took Arizona to 4 straight bowl games 5 in 6 years and nobody considered him a legend.
Just to digress a bit, when all you need is 6 wins to go to a bowl game, and get to play a FCS team every year, and schedule the Sisters of Mercy and Fresno City Teacher's College for your non-conference games, going to a bowl game doesn't really mean all that much.

How many bowl games did Larry Smith get to go to, past the probation years anyway?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Amidst chatter last night about whether the St. John's opening will way Hurley away from Tempe, found this clueless tweet -
That is delusional. A couple of play-in game/first round tournament appearances (one that was gifted to Hurley by the NCAA tournament committee because of his Duke alumni status after an appalling, losing record in a weak Pac-12) is not the foundation for building what Lute Olson did in Tucson. Hurley has a nothing recruiting class coming in. If he is smart, he will take advantage of this 15 minutes of fame and jump to another job with greater potential. St. Johns has an actual basketball legacy, has support, probably better facilities, and will be an easier recruiting base. It is a better job. Unless Hurley loves being out west and has a family that doesn't want to leave AZ, there is no reason to pass up the St. Johns job. He is not going to create a powerhouse program in Tempe. And if he wants the Duke job, building recruiting pipelines out east and rebuilding St. Johns in the Big East will go a greater distance to reaching that goal than running a mediocre program out west.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Survey says: Two.

Unless anyone thinks the Tokyo Bowl counts.

You can thank Fat Tony for the other four non-appearances. He put that all on the line just to lose a lousy Fiesta Bowl to Dan Marino.

Back on topic, Hurley wants to go back to New York. He knows he's never going to move the needle any further at ASU.

Hurley's full of histrionics--he's the biggest overactor in the conference--but he has legit frustrations with downwardly mediocre trending of the Pac-12. He wants a bigger stage closer to his mentors, and he is not going to get that in AZ. Ever. Not in the shadow of our program.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Just to digress a bit, when all you need is 6 wins to go to a bowl game, and get to play a FCS team every year, and schedule the Sisters of Mercy and Fresno City Teacher's College for your non-conference games, going to a bowl game doesn't really mean all that much.

How many bowl games did Larry Smith get to go to, past the probation years anyway?
i get that Merk and I don't disagree. I'm just equating RR going to 4 straight bowl games to BH getting 2 straight play in games.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Amidst chatter last night about whether the St. John's opening will way Hurley away from Tempe, found this clueless tweet -

Dort just declared for the NBA draft today and is hiring an agent. So their most physical, dependable player is gone after one year.

Their top defender and rebounder (Cheatham) is out of eligibility. That leaves Remy Martin as the key piece returning from a pretty mediocre team. They have nothing in recruiting that will be close to replacing the productivity of Dort and Cheatham.

ASU will be in the bottom half of the Pac next season (below UA, Oregon, USC, Stanford, Utah & Colorado).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I heard the St John’s president loves Hurley and has a money guy ready to deliver him. Pitino was campaigning for the job but he hates slick Rick.

Hurley will have an opportunity to highly leverage ASSU if he wants. How’s the horse racing back there :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pitino at asu would be aweosme!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Pitino at asu would be aweosme!
With all of ASSU's party-ready chug-dogs, Pimptino wouldn't even need a hooker fund.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

St John's is likely going to land Cluess from Iona
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why? Hurley is objectively perfect for that job.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

I hope Hurley stays at ASSU as he is a perfect fit for that program. He was the biggest douche bag as a player and has continued that tradition as a coach. ASSU and Hurley are a match
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good! I was afraid I was going to miss that squishy-faced, pre-pubescent gerbil stomping his feet and having himself a pants-wetting tantrum every five minutes.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

NYCat wrote:St John's is likely going to land Cluess from Iona
For a St. Johns program that needs stability more than anything, Cluess is the better hire. His success at Iona is about as consistent as you can get (6 straight tourny bids?), he won't be as easily pried away as Hurley (partly because he's 60), he's been working the NYC area recruiting ties for years now and as a result is very well thought of by fellow prep coaches in the area.

Yes, Hurley is younger and more of a name, but he hasn't lived in the area since before signing with Duke, and people forget that his time making a home out west includes a number of years as a player in Sacramento. Laugh if you will, but ASU winning this little battle Vs St. Johns is a psychological boost for them. Not a few are hoping he pulls a Sean and similarly steers clear of the openings closer to his upbringing - NC State and Pitt in Sean's case.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:
I remember the UA had some similar issues back in the '90s when required classes for graduation simply weren't available to all students and forced some students to spend more than the required 4 years to graduate, ultimately costing them a lot more money. Students threatened (or maybe actually filed) lawsuits against the UA. Magically, changes were made and classes were made available so students weren't held hostage beyond 4 years.

If there's enough pressure put on the administration by various means (media attention, parents complaining about added costs, etc...) I suspect they'll eliminate this added cost. I'm curious about any kickbacks coming to professors or departments for these added costs. Are they running their own little side business?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Trust me, it’s never the Professor who benefits. It’s a good thing I wasn’t in that school/department because I probably would have been fired before the end of the faculty meeting when this was announced.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

A friendly reminder from Steve Kerr.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kerr never lies.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Don't know where else to put this so...

Terra McGowan left ‘divisive and toxic’ Arizona State, had to sit out this season, which might have cost Oregon softball the NCAA Tournament

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... ament.html" target="_blank
Mike Luke's burner account.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

KillerKlown wrote:Don't know where else to put this so...

Terra McGowan left ‘divisive and toxic’ Arizona State, had to sit out this season, which might have cost Oregon softball the NCAA Tournament

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... ament.html" target="_blank
Thoughts and prayers to both schools (/sarcasm). Sincere best wishes to the young women caught up in it all. Blazes to the commenters who don’t know UA from the school mentioned in the article.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Oops
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

UAEebs86 wrote:Oops
Ooh, didn't realize they were there, that sucks.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Imagine the disappointment when Hurley tells his guys that there is no third round of the draft.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I mean if there's ever been a photo to utilize as negative recruiting that's certainly the one.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:Imagine the disappointment when Hurley tells his guys that there is no third round of the draft.
Good news! Since they went to ASSU it’s highly unlikely they can count to three anyway.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Image

:lol:

That embedded link isn't working, but if you copy and paste into a new tab it will

https://i.imgur.com/UfWnrmr.gifv" target="_blank
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:Oops
Why are they doing the Shocker?

First 2 digits are supposed to make a V.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Merkin wrote:

That embedded link isn't working, but if you copy and paste into a new tab it will

Weird. It showed up embedded for me. Still don’t have a handle on the forum technology. :|
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Weird. It showed up embedded for me. Still don’t have a handle on the forum technology. :|
It worked for me too.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Look who I ran into at a bar in Coronado last Friday. I believe he only had 1 beer but that tie is awfully loose

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Bagley’s brother committed to ASU. #52 in the class.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Bagley’s brother committed to ASU. #52 in the class.
If your goal is to get to the NCAA play-in game, ASU is certainly the top school on that list.