Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:13 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:56 pm First, congrats to Coach Barnes.
^^^^^^^^

There's a value add coach. JUST IN CASE we had forgotten what they look like.
I had forgotten. Thank you. Now can you point out the value add coaches who would take over our program if we fired Miller tomorrow?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:17 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:13 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:56 pm First, congrats to Coach Barnes.
^^^^^^^^

There's a value add coach. JUST IN CASE we had forgotten what they look like.
I had forgotten. Thank you. Now can you point out the value add coaches who would take over our program if we fired Miller tomorrow?
I'm a big fan of Barnes, so don't take this wrong.

It's funny my man is contending a coach in her 5th year with 1 NCAA tournament appearance pending and zero conference titles is value added. Meanwhile, the coach in his 12th season with 7 (9 if eligible) NCAA tourneys, 3 Elite Eights and 4 Pac titles is a bum who needs to be fired.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This just came to me....

Fred Hoiberg.

He’s in a garbage job, UNL, and not doing hot. He could get scooped up on the cheap and he’s the type of guy who could keep most of the team together. He’s also the king of grad transfers and could do well with the portal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:15 pm This just came to me....

Fred Hoiberg.

He’s in a garbage job, UNL, and not doing hot. He could get scooped up on the cheap and he’s the type of guy who could keep most of the team together. He’s also the king of grad transfers and could do well with the portal.
If we fire Miller to hire a guy who is 14-45 since returning to college after getting fired in the NBA, I may literally **** a brick.

We might as well just say **** it and hire Shay Binion. He was a good kid.

Edit: Plus, I doubt we could get Hoiberg. He'd just keep hanging up the phone thinking he was being pranked.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fred is a great guy who can’t coach or recruit for shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

There's a better candidate than Fred. There's a guy named Sean.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’m not for firing Miller. Just throwing out a name who’s had success at ISU.

Jeez.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:00 pm I’m not for firing Miller. Just throwing out a name who’s had success at ISU.

Jeez.
But not the kind of Success Miller had for several years prior to the FBI derailment. That said, Arizona is a great job that a lot of quality coaches could conceivably excel at, so one suspects even Fred could have success in Tucson.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Lots of interesting takes tonight huh? Not saying they're good ones either... Fred Hoiberg will never coach here nor have an opportunity close to this programs prestige. Stop it. You're just reaching
I said what I said and I mean it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If I’m Miller, I’m growing pretty frustrated knowing I’ll be out of work next unless I make at least a Sweet 16 run. I’m picking up the phone and inquiring about the UNLV job.
Last edited by zonagrad on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:52 am I don't know what to tell you guys. Clearly you seem interested in grinding out some more seasons of RPI 35 basketball. You might get your wish. You'd think three would be enough, but apparently not. So we'll grind out some more shit basketball; and don't delude yourself, that's what it is. Three years of the least compelling shit I've ever seen from Arizona hoops. And that's the problem now; it's not even that we're bad and we're angry, it's that we seem to be getting to a point where people don't even give a shit anymore. Conference games this year with 30 or 40 posts in the thread? That's magic, it's right where you wanna to be.
It has been rough, really unwatchable. For nearly 18 years, I never missed watching a game on television (until the Dish/Pac-12 Network debacle), but the past couple of years, I haven't bothered, and this year, I didn't watch one game in its entirety. In the past, there were some disappointing years or squads with deficiencies that were not legitimate contenders, but as a fan, I watched, supported and stuck by the program. I never thought it would get to this point. I can appreciate fans that think the program is still going in the right direction, all things considered, but I don't see it. Arizona is presently not the elite national program it was. Do I think Miller needs to go? I haven't gone that far, particularly because I am not convinced a qualified candidate will want to take over with the program facing additional sanctions, but it could be time for a change. The risk is that the program faces what happened to Indiana and UNLV -- major programs that became irrelevant with a series of bad hires.
Last edited by midnightx on Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:00 pm I’m not for firing Miller. Just throwing out a name who’s had success at ISU.

Jeez.
TBH, Hoiberg is the kind of guy I'm worried would be a legit candidate if we fired Miller.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 pm

Jeez.
TBH, Hoiberg is the kind of guy I'm worried would be a legit candidate if we fired Miller.
Agreed. To be clear, my aforementioned post was not in support of Fred, I was simply pointing out that average coaches can succeed to some degree at major programs (e.g. Alford at UCLA).
BeardownZonaZona

If you guys ever want to have a good laugh join the Arizona wildcats basketball group on Facebook. You'll see some real interesting takes on Sean Miller and this team. It's pretty bad
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:56 am If you guys ever want to have a good laugh join the Arizona wildcats basketball group on Facebook. You'll see some real interesting takes on Sean Miller and this team. It's pretty bad

Reydituto is a mod there and I can tell he is getting quite frustrated.
BeardownZonaZona

Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:22 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:56 am If you guys ever want to have a good laugh join the Arizona wildcats basketball group on Facebook. You'll see some real interesting takes on Sean Miller and this team. It's pretty bad

I'd be too. There's a lot of idiots on there that are rather firm Miller ride of die or firm on firing miller and hiring an alumni. I saw a poll on there the other day asking if we should hire Pastner, stick with miller, or hire another alumn. That group is something
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I left that group a while ago because of all the casual fans who have no idea what they’re actually talking about.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:07 am
Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:22 am

I'd be too. There's a lot of idiots on there that are rather firm Miller ride of die or firm on firing miller and hiring an alumni. I saw a poll on there the other day asking if we should hire Pastner, stick with miller, or hire another alumn. That group is something
The Pastner thing cracks me up. He was sub .500 at GT entering this year. GT made their first tourney in his time there as a 9 seed to bring him to an 82-75 overall record with them and some people think he should replace Miller.

.522 win % or .735 win%. Hmm, that's a close one.

I don't understand the fixation on alumni.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 am
Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing are on people's minds. They're not looking at the long list of coaches who didn't do well when hired by their alma mater.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 am I don't understand the fixation on alumni.
Probably the same people who have been calling for Ricky Hunley or Chuck Cecil to be head coach of the football team. Although they are both lifelong position coaches, outside of one disastrous season as DC for the Titans for Cecil.

There is a reason head coaches never promoted them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am
Juwan Howard and Patrick Ewing are on people's minds. They're not looking at the long list of coaches who didn't do well when hired by their alma mater.
Ewing, heck, he's 62-58 at Georgetown and was on the hot seat before they made a BE tourney run.

I'm a results oriented guy and the thing with Arizona alums...Kerr and maybe Walton are the only ones you can really make a case would get consideration if they weren't alums. Damon's done ok at Pacific, but not to the level anyone would look twice if he wasn't an alum. Pastner has been thoroughly mediocre as a HC.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:30 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am
Ewing, heck, he's 62-58 at Georgetown and was on the hot seat before they made a BE tourney run.

I'm a results oriented guy and the thing with Arizona alums...Kerr and maybe Walton are the only ones you can really make a case would get consideration if they weren't alums. Damon's done ok at Pacific, but not to the level anyone would look twice if he wasn't an alum. Pastner has been thoroughly mediocre as a HC.
Agreed. The “alumni” fixation is misguided, as if that is going to automatically lead to superior recruiting and fan support, particularly at Arizona. Steve Kerr is the only alum that is a more desirable hire than the current coach, and Kerr will never coach Arizona.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

For those who believe that hiring an alum is somehow a guarantee of success, here's a few storied programs and the famous alums:

Matt Doherty, North Carolina: managed to go 53-43 in 3 years at UNC and 23-25 in the ACC. It's pretty hard to fail that bad at UNC.
Chris Mullin, St. John's: 59-73 at his alma mater. One NCAA appearance in 4 seasons.
Mike Davis, Indiana: National championship runner-up in his 2nd season. 55-41 (.573) in Big 10 play in six seasons at IU
Penny Hardaway, Memphis: 3 seasons, 2 NIT appearances
Walt Hazzard, UCLA: 4 seasons, 1 NCAA tournament appearance.
Kevin Ollie, UCONN: a magical NCAA title in his first year. Followed by an epic collapse, capped by 2 years being vacated and his dismissal.
Patrick Ewing, G'Town: 62-58 in 4 seasons, with this year being his only NCAA appearance coming after an 8th place conference finish (7-9).

Juwann Howard may have some initial success at Michigan -- and it could very well turn out to be a sustained run. But he's been fortunate to be able to surround himself with veteran assistants who can do all the hard work behind the scenes. So in my opinion, the jury is still out on him for a few years.

Nobody would be satisfied with Jason Terry, Damon Stoudamire or any other alum putting up similar performances in Tucson. They'd be called an abject failure. There's simply no comparison to what Miller has accomplished in 12 seasons. Heck, even Miller's worst three years in Tucson is still better than the above list.
BeardownZonaZona

Ewing has done terrible. He lost Akinjo and McClung to transfers after one year. Both players are all-conference type guys for both their new squads.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:10 pm Ewing has done terrible. He lost Akinjo and McClung to transfers after one year. Both players are all-conference type guys for both their new squads.
It's kind of funny. He was probably on the chopping block before the BE tourney run. Now Georgetown will probably be stuck with him in mediocrity a little while longer.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:15 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:10 pm Ewing has done terrible. He lost Akinjo and McClung to transfers after one year. Both players are all-conference type guys for both their new squads.
It's kind of funny. He was probably on the chopping block before the BE tourney run. Now Georgetown will probably be stuck with him in mediocrity a little while longer.
That's exactly right. He's winning just enough to not get fired -- kinda like Tad Boyle at CU.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think I figured out what is holding up Miller's contract. Robbins is waiting to see if anyone has a run in the tourney and using that as criteria for our next hire. He is an idiot.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think we should hire the Oral Roberts coach. He knows how to beat a Big 10 team in the Tourney.

*sarcasm*
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Just ridiculous. Not re-signing Miller after supporting him throughout the last 3 years of this shit is beyond stupidity.

He has proven he can coach.
He has proven he can win (maybe not the big one but he will) but his resume is better than 95% of the current coaches.
He has proven he can recruit talent, even elite talent.
He takes Arizona basketball tradition seriously.
He genuinely cares for the university.
He cares for his players and always is supportive of them no matter what - even if they leave the program.
He’s the most respectful coach in the Pac 12 always complimenting the schools, coaches and players (even ASSU which even pisses me off).

I mean what the fuck more can we ask for? Yeah I know he fucked up with Book but I’m sure he regrets that every day.

Sign the dude now!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:33 pm He has proven he can coach.
He has proven he can win (maybe not the big one but he will) but his resume is better than 95% of the current coaches.
This is what I sort of don't get about the anti-Miller crowd. From 2011-15, he arguably performed better than any 5 year stretch Lute Olson had.

But then he totally forgot how to do all the things that made him so successful? Like he had this accident where he went from arguably the best young coach in the game to not understanding how to coach or win?

I was also tempted to extend that timeline to 2017, because I think that team was better than 2011 and on the level of 14 and 15.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:13 pm
Eff Robbins. Seriously.
aznavcat

Post by aznavcat »

Contact the ABOR @ https://www.azregents.edu/contact-us
and let them know how you feel. Personally I think the ABOR needs to fire the micromanager rogue President and the weak sauce AD (not sure they can but lets put pressure on them). I'm not sure it makes a hill of beans difference but it's good therapy. :lol:

The U of A is a fine school with a great tradition. There's no reason we shouldn't have a first-rate visionary president and AD.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I wonder if this has become a situation where Robbins just doesn’t like that Miller has so much gravitas or power or such?
Just an ego thing where Robbins wants to be the BMOC.
I miss the days of Snausages.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I had a very sickening thought pattern this morning. Robbins keeps on riding his pony “Ego” around the SE corner of campus, Miller says peace out, ASsU fires Hurley, ASsU hires Miller, and ASsU makes the FF within 3 years. CSM has enough stones and talent to do just that. I’ll obviously be quite happy for that not to happen.

I do not know why the big donors haven’t convinced Robbins to quit meddling in the AD, but then, I’m not sure how Robbins is still employed by the UofA.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

If Robbins left it up to Heeke, Miller would already be fired. For being smart guys...they sure are dumb.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Did I mention I’m actually a Seer?

Sean Miller will be re-signed this week.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I am grasping at the last hope I have and that they are waiting out of respect till the tourney ends. I assume they have an agreement in place and are just waiting for this to happen and I believe in the tooth fairy.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Well if it makes you feel better, I am actually the tooth fairy and thank you for your unwavering support.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If they are worried about bad press, they should do it during the tournament so nobody has time to talk about it.
BeardownZonaZona

Everyone asks why hasn't heeke been fired yet. But why would they fire him? He's doing exactly what Robbins wants. He handles a lot of the smaller sports such as baseball and lets Robbins do what he wants with football and basketball. Heeke is doing the job that Robbins wants him to do, even if they do fire him thru aren't going to bring in AD who will fight with Robbins, it'll be another push over
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who hired Heeke?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Must suck for Miller to sit home and watch all of the Pac 12 coaches have success in the Big Dance. Quite honestly the humility may do him a world of good but unfortunately it won't. It's way past time to move on from this guy. Just my opinion but the program will never return to national prominence. I just don't see a favorable way forward regardless of who's coaching. The damage has been done and once the final sanctions are handed down I'll be proven correct once again. We'll join the ranks of UNLV and UTEP; once great programs reduced to pathetic irrelevance. No bueno. Lute's rolling in his grave.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:31 pm Must suck for Miller to sit home and watch all of the Pac 12 coaches have success in the Big Dance. Quite honestly the humility may do him a world of good but unfortunately it won't. It's way past time to move on from this guy. Just my opinion but the program will never return to national prominence. I just don't see a favorable way forward regardless of who's coaching. The damage has been done and once the final sanctions are handed down I'll be proven correct once again. We'll join the ranks of UNLV and UTEP; once great programs reduced to pathetic irrelevance. No bueno. Lute's rolling in his grave.
This is basically a form letter at this point. You’re not even creatively trolling. Put some effort into it. Don’t you have any pride?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And poor examples. UNLV hasn’t been relevant since the mid-90s. And UTEP? They haven’t been great since the movie Glory Road.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Bonus points for who jumped center for the UK Wildcats in that Texas Western game?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Pat Riley
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:52 pm And UTEP? They haven’t been great since the movie Glory Road.
Thank the basketball gods that Tim Floyd went to UTEP instead of UA. Although it did cause Jason Scheer to go spend some time hiding in bushes at the Tucson airport.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:57 pm Bonus points for who jumped center for the UK Wildcats in that Texas Western game?
David Latin, the big daddy. Saw him play at bear down gym
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am
zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 am
b. Has a better track record than Miller

And that's because there isn't anyone out there who checks both of those boxes. And I think you know that.
Get off the idea of track record. Just find the best guy. In 2008 I suggested Tony Bennett to replace Lute after Tony had coached all of 40 college basketball games in his entire career.
Tony Bennett doing Tony Bennett things today that you'd want him fired for at Arizona.