Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Sean Miller

Post by zonagrad »

Will the Maryland job re-open? Rumors that Turgeon wants back in the Midwest? If so, would Miller be interested?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

zonagrad wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:28 am Will the Maryland job re-open? Rumors that Turgeon wants back in the Midwest? If so, would Miller be interested?

Will cheeseburgers be involved this time?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:26 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:37 am Lots of good jobs opening up. Makes you wonder if Sean is at all intrigued. Texas is a really good job, if Shaka really leaves. So is Oklahoma.
I'm sure Miller is intrigued given how he seems to be being jerked around here. I doubt anyone will hire a coach pending NCAA proceedings.
Until the NCAA issues are resolved, no one will touch Miller. It has been suggested that right before news of the FBI investigation broke, Miller and Arizona may have been heading toward an amicable parting of ways with Miller perhaps heading to a “Marquette” situation, but at this point they are likely stuck with each other.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:37 am Lots of good jobs opening up. Makes you wonder if Sean is at all intrigued. Texas is a really good job, if Shaka really leaves. So is Oklahoma.
I'm sure Miller is intrigued given how he seems to be being jerked around here. I doubt anyone will hire a coach pending NCAA proceedings.
Until the NCAA issues are resolved, no one will touch Miller. It has been suggested that right before news of the FBI investigation broke, Miller and Arizona may have been heading toward an amicable parting of ways with Miller perhaps heading to a “Marquette” situation, but at this point they are likely stuck with each other.
I seem to recall Calipari getting the UK job just as shit was hitting the fan in Memphis. In other words, how was that situation so different from Miller's with AZ?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:33 pm
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am If we end up with these major pieces:
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

And then include Terry, Koloko, Brown...that’s top 2 for sure.

If we can also get Eason and Tyty....that’s 1st in PAC, top 10 team...Arizona Good.
Most of those guys got us a 5th place finish in the PAC. Guys I appreciate the optimism but being a top 5 or 10 team is not really realistic. I would love it but I think Oregon has 2 of the 3 bigs in the country coming in next year. UCLA will always be tough. Let's get a coach first and then we will see. I was sad to see Baker was going into the portal.
The rostercast on (https://barttorvik.com/rostercast.php?t ... &everyone=) seems to agree we will be pretty good, it has us as the 11th best team assuming Ben is leaving and we do not add anyone else.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 am
I seem to recall Calipari getting the UK job just as shit was hitting the fan in Memphis. In other words, how was that situation so different from Miller's with AZ?
That was someone taking the SAT for Rose. Cal was never implicated.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... id=4412279

About halfway down the link:

Calipari was not penalized because he was never included in the original notice of allegations, Dee said. 

Dee said: "Whenever records are vacated, that is a strong indication that there was a problem. Because there were no allegations against the coach, we did not consider any
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:39 am
That was someone taking the SAT for Rose. Cal was never implicated.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... id=4412279

About halfway down the link:

Calipari was not penalized because he was never included in the original notice of allegations, Dee said. 

Dee said: "Whenever records are vacated, that is a strong indication that there was a problem. Because there were no allegations against the coach, we did not consider any
Is Miller implicated? Because one of my takeaways from reading this board over the last several months is that Sean's hands aren't dirty, only Book's. Or is Miller's decision to keep Book on staff, knowing whatever he knew, what somehow implicates him?

Either way, I don't think Miller is *directly* implicated. Maybe a little more so than Calipari, but just as UK wasn't intimidated by the Memphis situation, I'm not sure a school that really wanted Miller would be all that deterred by looming sanctions against AZ. Miller himself is not going to be penalized, just the AZ program. Right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:47 am Is Miller implicated? Because one of my takeaways from reading this board over the last several months is that Sean's hands aren't dirty, only Book's. Or is Miller's decision to keep Book on staff, knowing whatever he knew, what somehow implicates him?

Either way, I don't think Miller is *directly* implicated. Maybe a little more so than Calipari, but just as UK wasn't intimidated by the Memphis situation, I'm not sure a school that really wanted Miller would be all that deterred by looming sanctions against AZ. Miller himself is not going to be penalized, just the AZ program. Right?
Yes, he is directly implicated, at least in the way that matters. The NOA specifically includes a count directed at him. In Memphis's case, there was no count directed at Calipari.

Now, functionally, the count only alleges failure to control others. So, it does not allege Miller did anything wrong, just that he did not prevent others from doing wrong.

That matters a lot, though. In the portions I quoted, the NCAA acknowledged they could not directly sanction the coach without an allegation against the coach. That's why that count matters.

Calipari wasn't going to get personal sanctions because he was not named. Miller is named, and thus could get personal sanctions.

And that's all a hiring school cares about. Kentucky isn't going to care if Memphis got sanctioned. It matters if their new hire can be sanctioned. Cal couldn't be. Miller can be.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:28 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am If we end up with these major pieces:
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

If we can also get Eason and Tyty....that’s 1st in PAC, top 10 team...Arizona Good.
Most of those guys got us a 5th place finish in the PAC. Guys I appreciate the optimism but being a top 5 or 10 team is not really realistic. I would love it but I think Oregon has 2 of the 3 bigs in the country coming in next year. UCLA will always be tough. Let's get a coach first and then we will see. I was sad to see Baker was going into the portal.
The rostercast on (https://barttorvik.com/rostercast.php?t ... &everyone=) seems to agree we will be pretty good, it has us as the 11th best team assuming Ben is leaving and we do not add anyone else.
Using that tool to remove Baker and add Benn back puts us at 8.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

That is crazy. Ben was one of two players that could get his own shot and the other shot too much. If Ben leaves we are not a top 20 team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Part of it, I hope we're able to return a lot of talent.

Post-FBI, I don't think Arizona fans are used to that. 18-19 was a complete roster reset from 17-18. 19-20 was a complete roster reset from 18-19. 20-21 was a complete roster reset from 19-20.

Right now, we can conceivably return 7 of our top 9 scorers. That was 3 of 9 last year (counting Doutrive). 3 of 9 the year before that (not counting Akot leaving a few games in). 2 of 9 the year before.

It potentially opens doors that we just haven't had open recently.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So are we thinking Benn is gone? That would be really disappointing to lose another guy before he really blossoms.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I expect all the players will improve with another year and that will be huge. Especially someone like Koloko and Kerr to gain physically. But there is a huge jump from 5th in the PAC to top 10. Be a little more realistic.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:42 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Part of it, I hope we're able to return a lot of talent.

Post-FBI, I don't think Arizona fans are used to that. 18-19 was a complete roster reset from 17-18. 19-20 was a complete roster reset from 18-19. 20-21 was a complete roster reset from 19-20.

Right now, we can conceivably return 7 of our top 9 scorers. That was 3 of 9 last year (counting Doutrive). 3 of 9 the year before that (not counting Akot leaving a few games in). 2 of 9 the year before.

It potentially opens doors that we just haven't had open recently.
The top 9 down plays the level we lost in prior years, we return 4 of our top 5 scorers and entire starting 5 (after Baker went down). The last three years we lost our top 4 last year and top 5 the two years before.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:45 am So are we thinking Benn is gone? That would be really disappointing to lose another guy before he really blossoms.
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-dr ... ue-ignite/

Here's an aggregate of mock drafts. He's aggregated as the #73 prospect. I mean, you just don't know about these things, but you'd hope he wouldn't if that grade is accurate.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:52 am The top 9 down plays the level we lost in prior years, we return 4 of our top 5 scorers and entire starting 5 (after Baker went down). The last three years we lost our top 4 last year and top 5 the two years before.
I quoted top 9 to be consistent, but you're correct. Ira was 8th or 9th most years, and he accounts for one spot every year I mentioned.

I included Jeter and Smith into 19-20, and Jeter basically didn't last the year and Dylan was Dylan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:45 am So are we thinking Benn is gone? That would be really disappointing to lose another guy before he really blossoms.
If he leaves, it would seriously suck. Feels like the roster situation for next season is more delicate than usual. There are a few guys which, if any left, our ceiling for next season would fall considerably.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Let's get coach signed and then move this train forward!!!!!!!!!!!
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Others have already pointed out several differences between Miller’s current predicament and Cal’s Memphis situation, but additionally, Miller has been a major target by the sports media, particularly ESPN, over the past three years. His reputation is in a damaged state, which is not only impacting recruiting, but the likeliness of other programs considering him as a viable option. No other coach (or program for that matter) associated with this FBI scandal has been damaged the way Miller has, which is astonishing considering a legend like Pitino was involved, as well as Bill Self. Programs like Kansas and Louisville are hardly mentioned. It really is baffling.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

midnightx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:42 pm
Others have already pointed out several differences between Miller’s current predicament and Cal’s Memphis situation, but additionally, Miller has been a major target by the sports media, particularly ESPN, over the past three years. His reputation is in a damaged state, which is not only impacting recruiting, but the likeliness of other programs considering him as a viable option. No other coach (or program for that matter) associated with this FBI scandal has been damaged the way Miller has, which is astonishing considering a legend like Pitino was involved, as well as Bill Self. Programs like Kansas and Louisville are hardly mentioned. It really is baffling.
Isn’t Self in exactly the same contract situation as CSM today?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:38 pm Isn’t Self in exactly the same contract situation as CSM today?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:38 pm
midnightx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:42 pm

Isn’t Self in exactly the same contract situation as CSM today?
Looks like it. But the argument can be made that Kansas is not in nearly as bad as a predicament as Arizona. Self can leave and Kansas can even get hit with sanctions, but the program won't have trouble rebounding relatively quickly, likely with a relevant name coach. The brand hasn't been damaged the way Arizona has.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

And yet the media is cheering for Texas to hire Bruce Pearl -- like his shit doesn't stink. College basketball is really amazing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don’t think we’ll know how bad the AZ brand has actually been damaged until the day comes when our coaching job opens up.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I feel like it is open. That’s why Robbins hasn’t extended CSM. But I don’t think he is getting any interest
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:46 am I feel like it is open. That’s why Robbins hasn’t extended CSM. But I don’t think he is getting any interest
So you really think Robbins is shopping around for a coach while Miller continues to recruit? That feels unlikely to me.

But if that’s even remotely true, I would expect Miller to take calls from some of these jobs opening up. He may not draw interest from the best ones, but I find it really hard to believe there’s not a program out there who’d be thrilled to hire him, especially at a discount.

I’m seeing rumors that Ohio State and/or Florida could also open up.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Ohio state?

If they fire Holtmann, no coach should ever want that job unless they are looking for a quick 8 mil to get them through the last 2 years of their career.

What a bunch of spoiled brats.

Or maybe they realized that even though they've had a very respectable record the last few years, they play in the B1G, the most over hyped conference out there, so maybe they have actually kinda sucked, especially when compared to, say, Pac 12 schools.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:48 am Ohio state?

If they fire Holtmann, no coach should ever want that job unless they are looking for a quick 8 mil to get them through the last 2 years of their career.

What a bunch of spoiled brats.

Or maybe they realized that even though they've had a very respectable record the last few years, they play in the B1G, the most over hyped conference out there, so maybe they have actually kinda sucked, especially when compared to, say, Pac 12 schools.
He wouldn’t be fired. He’s rumored to be a target of some of these jobs opening up. No idea what Holtmann would do, but it seems that every year there’s one surprise opening. Maybe it’s Texas this year; not sure. Or Indiana. But Ohio State is obviously a fantastic job and would draw a lot of interest.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:53 pm I don’t think we’ll know how bad the AZ brand has actually been damaged until the day comes when our coaching job opens up.
Arizona is damaged, but how much it is damaged is up for debate. It is still a major basketball program, arguably one of the best 15 names in college basketball. The opportunities to quickly build it back up based on its legacy, geographic location and facilities will be enticing for the right candidate, even with potential additional sanctions coming (unknown sanctions didn't stop Mack from going to Louisville). But look how difficult it was to replace Lute at the tail-end of 25+ years of greatness -- other than a couple of years of recruiting deficiencies due to his health, the program was not facing what it currently is.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fucking Robbins is going to allow Miller coach a lame duck season isn't he? Asshole.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Idiot, idiot, idiot.

And I’m no longer a seer btw.😩
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am Fucking Robbins is going to allow Miller coach a lame duck season isn't he? Asshole.
I think Miller will get an extension, but I wouldn't consider his job secure at all past next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:33 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am Fucking Robbins is going to allow Miller coach a lame duck season isn't he? Asshole.
I think Miller will get an extension, but I wouldn't consider his job secure at all past next season.
It'd be nice if they got around to it sometime soon.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:46 am
It'd be nice if they got around to it sometime soon.
Ain't going to happen until Adia's girls are done at the earliest.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Which is fine. And I'm guessing that Miller is probably fine with that as well considering all that has transpired. If we significantly underachieve next season after Miller gets an extension -- then it would be understandable to part ways. The extension should be a foregone conclusion. We should be arguing about where to draw the line after the extension. Does a 3rd place Pac 12 finish, conference tourney semi-final appearance and 2nd round NCAA exit warrant a change? That's where the line should be drawn.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 am Ain't going to happen until Adia's girls are done at the earliest.
That makes perfect sense.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this is right in line with the last few seasons, and Miller has survived. really hes defied the odds and momentum stacked against him and still lives on.

however, as you pointed out, his job is no more or less secure than it was 12 months ago, extension or not, and that makes for entertainment and drama if nothing else.

Miller has been coaching for his Arizona life for three seasons now, if he survives again next season will be no different.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:12 am
this is right in line with the last few seasons, and Miller has survived. really hes defied the odds and momentum stacked against him and still lives on.

however, as you pointed out, his job is no more or less secure than it was 12 months ago, extension or not, and that makes for entertainment and drama if nothing else.

Miller has been coaching for his Arizona life for three seasons now, if he survives again next season will be no different.
The powers that be thought the season before this last one was good?

You know the "We're gonna legitimately compete for a final four" before the season and then...splat.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The frustrating part is that at some point, the lack of underlying investment and support hurts the coach and by extension, the program.

To build a foundation, as long as Miller is the coach, it serves the goal to have him recruiting and developing the program. It seems like our transfer portal recruiting and 2022 recruiting are in neutral, and the uncertainty has to be a large part of it.

To succeed, we need to support Miller like he's the guy until/unless he isn't, at which point he should be fired.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What is also of note is that we beat two of the teams in the elite eight and when you look at where we finished in the PAC we would have certainly been in the tourney if the league was valued and hyped.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am

You know the "We're gonna legitimately compete for a final four" before the season and then...splat.
The powers that be are the people who pay for the chartered flights and the lifeblood of the program. They want to see this group of guys together for one more year and see how that goes. We don't have the money to tell them no.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:07 am What is also of note is that we beat two of the teams in the elite eight and when you look at where we finished in the PAC we would have certainly been in the tourney if the league was valued and hyped.
That is well and fine and all, but barring a Pac-12 tourney run where we would've got some resume boosting wins, this team was going to fall short of making the tournament. UCLA barely made it in and they took us to the woodshed twice.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Pays to have the money on your side that's for sure. Also pays to not have anything of substance on tape or paper that could get you fired for cause as well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:07 am What is also of note is that we beat two of the teams in the elite eight and when you look at where we finished in the PAC we would have certainly been in the tourney if the league was valued and hyped.
With the 34 point win over OSU, we're looking good for transitive property national champs.

Joking aside, the Pac's tourney does make our season look better. Going 1-3 vs the LA schools doesn't feel as bad when they're both in the Elite Eight. I doubt anyone thought Oregon State would make it so far, but we're 3-4 vs EE teams.

For a season that I'd peg as the weirdest all around season in modern CBB history where our team faced a large amount of adversity, it furthers my opinion the groundwork is there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can’t wait to see how Dukie Vitale reacts to the extension
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am
SCCats wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am

The powers that be are the people who pay for the chartered flights and the lifeblood of the program. They want to see this group of guys together for one more year and see how that goes. We don't have the money to tell them no.
Got it.

(Didn’t mean to send that as a PM)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:14 am
That is well and fine and all, but barring a Pac-12 tourney run where we would've got some resume boosting wins, this team was going to fall short of making the tournament. UCLA barely made it in and they took us to the woodshed twice.
I disagree, although this is the epitome of an argument no one can win.

Metrics-wise, we were right with UCLA. UCLA was probably a 10 until they suffered a bad (at the time) loss to Oregon State in their first Pac tourney game.

If we were eligible, we'd have gotten Cal in the first round followed by UCLA. I think we'd have been in if we beat Cal. Then, the UCLA game, winner gets a 10, loser is first four or a protected 11.

The Oregon State loss hurt UCLA a lot, IMO. Their overall resume was light on good wins and they'd lost 4 straight entering the tournament. Of course, because light is dark and silence is sound in 2021 CBB, Oregon State is now rolling through the tourney and UCLA has turned 4 L's into 4 straight W's.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:13 am The powers that be are the people who pay for the chartered flights and the lifeblood of the program. They want to see this group of guys together for one more year and see how that goes. We don't have the money to tell them no.
Good. I also want to see how this group pays off.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What really hurts the Arizona and the PAC is the constant narrative that they are a no nothing league. I think this is directly attributable to a lack of an ESPN contract. You don't get talked about, you don't get rated, you don't have quad 1 wins when playing other PAC teams, you don't deserve the tourney. To me they are all related. That is why you hear Arizona singled out and not Kansas. Kansas is on ESPN almost weekly. They don't devalue their investment so they don't talk about Auburn or Kansas other any team they are invested in. Do you think Dickey V would talk about Arizona the way he does if it devalued an asset for his network? What do you hear about Louisville?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:14 am
Perhaps -- but Oregon State wouldn't have received a 1st round bye in the conference tourney -- so who knows how that would've played out.