Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: Sean Miller

Post by SCCats »

Basketcats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am This might be a really excellent reality check. Someone get UNC's coaching hot board names and post them here.
Not in any specific order...

Hubert Davis
Wes Miller
Jerry Stackhouse
Steve Robinson
Mike Boynton
Porter Moser
Mark Few
Tony Bennett
Billy Donovan
Scott Drew
Chris Holtmann
Matt Painter
Nate Oats
Jay Wright
As a technical matter there’s a Miller on the list. So if I understand how Arizona basketball works now, we’re going to call that an “Arizona win” and put it down as an “Arizona accomplishment.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:31 pm As a technical matter there’s a Miller on the list. So if I understand how Arizona basketball works now, we’re going to call that an “Arizona win” and put it down as an “Arizona accomplishment.”
Constant predictions of doom, dislike of Arizona and Sean Miller...you'd be at home as an ASU fan. The only differerence would be that your positive talk about a #35 RPI wouldn't have to be sarcastic any more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:26 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:22 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 pm Gonna hate the results next year, too.
That's big of you to admit, but I knew that.
With all the player action going on, can’t you feel the RPI 35 season next year just coming down the tracks?

I know you can. I can too.
But, as you've articulated, when we have a top-15 RPI you'll still hate the results.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Basketcats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am This might be a really excellent reality check. Someone get UNC's coaching hot board names and post them here.
Not in any specific order...

Hubert Davis
Wes Miller
Jerry Stackhouse
Steve Robinson
Mike Boynton
Porter Moser
Mark Few
Tony Bennett
Billy Donovan
Scott Drew
Chris Holtmann
Matt Painter
Nate Oats
Jay Wright
Few, Donovan, Drew, and Wright can be knocked off that list right away for various reasons.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:17 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 am
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am So fun game to play today: ask your UNC friend(s) what they think about Sean Miller as their next coach.

I just got a pretty standard “fuck you” back.
I got a "Wouldn't be the worst thing".

I said, "Even with the NCAA stuff?"

Response: "Seems like nothing. Don't forget, UNC doesn't care what the NCAA thinks."
Oh man then they should come get him. It’d solve some problems for us!!

But alas the ten and twelve man lists I’ve read so far this morning don’t include our radioactive man.
Does this make Tucson Chernobyl?
Nahhh, just Millers office.

Book screwed up the emergency power test and failed to get water to the reactor, which then blew up. At the rate we are going the radiation might not drop to safe levels for a number of years.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:45 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:31 pm As a technical matter there’s a Miller on the list. So if I understand how Arizona basketball works now, we’re going to call that an “Arizona win” and put it down as an “Arizona accomplishment.”
Constant predictions of doom, dislike of Arizona and Sean Miller...you'd be at home as an ASU fan. The only differerence would be that your positive talk about a #35 RPI wouldn't have to be sarcastic any more.
Spiff now with the clubhouse lead with the post of the day!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:04 am Miller is radioactive at this point.

He's not leaving for another college gig anytime soon. If he did leave it would be for some lower level NBA position.
I don't agree with this. I think UNLV missed out (and showed they clearly aren't serious about becoming elite again) by not taking a swing at Miller. And I think Texas Tech would be smart to inquire about Miller, too. The longer he's without an extension, the more he's likely to entertain some job security at another school (same as Shaka leaving UT for Marquette/Pastner leaving Memphis for G'Tech).

Arizona has shown Miller it's willing to let him twist in the wind -- perhaps the entire season. So why not pay the 1-year buyout now and bolt for TT? Heck, Robbins might even wave the buyout if it means he's rid of Miller, which is what he appears to want. TT is getting a nice refund from Beard's UT buyout -- so they could go after Miller. He's not going to get a "show cause" because he himself wasn't named in the NOA. Tech was super fortunate to land Beard. They'll struggle to get a name coach in Lubbock. Miller just might be nervy enough to go.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:12 pm Arizona has shown Miller it's willing to let him twist in the wind -- perhaps the entire season. So why not pay the 1-year buyout now and bolt for TT? Heck, Robbins might even wave the buyout if it means he's rid of Miller, which is what he appears to want. TT is getting a nice refund from Beard's UT buyout -- so they could go after Miller. He's not going to get a "show cause" because he himself wasn't named in the NOA. Tech was super fortunate to land Beard. They'll struggle to get a name coach in Lubbock. Miller just might be nervy enough to go.
I don't think TTU will inquire about Miller. The IARP is just too big an unknown, so the whole rest of this post is basically pointless. But hell, I already wrote it.

That said, if I'm Sean Miller, I'd leave Arizona for TTU if I could. You're leaving a situation where your management seems to be waiting for you to have a problem so they can fire you for a situation where you get 3-4 years to build before your seat could get hot.

TTU isn't as much of a destination job, but you can win there while the NCAA stuff blows over. If/when it does, if you're winning, you're a hot name again and back in the conversation for a top ten job when Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, Kansas or Kentucky open.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really wish this thread was only active with actual info on Miller staying or leaving.... I’m continually opening this thread thinking I’m going to read something about his status actually being settled and I’m always left with disappointment
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:27 pm I really wish this thread was only active with actual info on Miller staying or leaving.... I’m continually opening this thread thinking I’m going to read something about his status actually being settled and I’m always left with disappointment
same here tbh haha
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:27 pm I really wish this thread was only active with actual info on Miller staying or leaving.... I’m continually opening this thread thinking I’m going to read something about his status actually being settled and I’m always left with disappointment
Sorry I helped perpetuate the semi-off topic discussion. I won't do it again.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Basketcats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Sorry I helped perpetuate the semi-off topic discussion. I won't do it again.
The only person I really blame for this is Bobby Fucking Robbins
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 am
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am So fun game to play today: ask your UNC friend(s) what they think about Sean Miller as their next coach.

I just got a pretty standard “fuck you” back.
I got a "Wouldn't be the worst thing".

I said, "Even with the NCAA stuff?"

Response: "Seems like nothing. Don't forget, UNC doesn't care what the NCAA thinks."
Oh man then they should come get him. It’d solve some problems for us!!

But alas the ten and twelve man lists I’ve read so far this morning don’t include our radioactive man.
SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:30 amplease note that everything SCCats posts on the basketball forum circles back to his abject hatred of everything and anything having to do with Sean Miller.
I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.
Uh huh...
Yup, still hate the results.

Gonna hate the results next year, too.
Kreskin or soothsayer is your new name instead of Jerk.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:12 pm
dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:04 am Miller is radioactive at this point.

He's not leaving for another college gig anytime soon. If he did leave it would be for some lower level NBA position.
I don't agree with this. I think UNLV missed out (and showed they clearly aren't serious about becoming elite again) by not taking a swing at Miller. And I think Texas Tech would be smart to inquire about Miller, too. The longer he's without an extension, the more he's likely to entertain some job security at another school (same as Shaka leaving UT for Marquette/Pastner leaving Memphis for G'Tech).

Arizona has shown Miller it's willing to let him twist in the wind -- perhaps the entire season. So why not pay the 1-year buyout now and bolt for TT? Heck, Robbins might even wave the buyout if it means he's rid of Miller, which is what he appears to want. TT is getting a nice refund from Beard's UT buyout -- so they could go after Miller. He's not going to get a "show cause" because he himself wasn't named in the NOA. Tech was super fortunate to land Beard. They'll struggle to get a name coach in Lubbock. Miller just might be nervy enough to go.
Everyone talks about Beard and he had a great couple of year run like Shaka did. This year we have SCCAT and others telling us what a bad year Miller had in conference. It was better then Beard in a MUCH tougher league. So as typical....everyone looks at the media and fails to recognize the great player he had for those two years. They just push what the media says because they do no research. I think he is a really good defensive coach but has not been a head coach long enough to know how it is going to turn out.
Roy William's retired today and I have always respected him (except 97). Look at his winning % compared to Sean pre-scandal. I think you will be surprised.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

So Kansas signed Bill Self to a lifetime deal, that leaves Sean Miller alone on his island.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I wish we were that ballsy. KU just gave the NCAA the middle finger
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Kansas is all-in with Self. Even with accusations of 4 level 5 violations, they aren’t budging. The optics make sense; put full support behind the embattled coach to assert he is innocent until proven guilty, and if he gets nailed, you take a year of sanctions and move forward, or you fire him later. But for now, you let the world know, and recruits know the program isn’t worried.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Kansas has 5 level 1 violations and 9 aggravators. This is not a big deal. Every contract has a what I will call a morals clause that says you can be fired for violating NCAA regulations or bringing negative publicity on the institution. I would like to see the language of the contract not that it exists. Certainly Kansas is not signing up to a 5 year show of cause penalty for Self which is what Kelvin Sampson got for illegally contacting recruits while at Indiana.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:43 am Kansas has 5 level 1 violations and 9 aggravators. This is not a big deal. Every contract has a what I will call a morals clause that says you can be fired for violating NCAA regulations or bringing negative publicity on the institution. I would like to see the language of the contract not that it exists. Certainly Kansas is not signing up to a 5 year show of cause penalty for Self which is what Kelvin Sampson got for illegally contacting recruits while at Indiana.
There is actually language stating that he CANT be fired for any of the current allegations.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Yes there is. Wonder why he insisted on that. LOL. It also limited the liability of firing for without cause to a fraction of what is normal. For example 1/10 of Cal's at UK, 1/2 of Dana at Oregon, less than Painer on and on. He basically gets paid for one year if he is fired which is fantastic for Kansas if he get a show of cause penalty. You simply fire him for no cause.

This was a PR stunt. Contract for life....which is a 5 year rolling contract (not at all unusual in coaching. Izzo's is 7 years). What it does do is allow recruits to have confidence he will be there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm Yes there is. Wonder why he insisted on that. LOL. It also limited the liability of firing for without cause to a fraction of what is normal. For example 1/10 of Cal's at UK, 1/2 of Dana at Oregon, less than Painer on and on. He basically gets paid for one year if he is fired which is fantastic for Kansas if he get a show of cause penalty. You simply fire him for no cause.

This was a PR stunt. Contract for life....which is a 5 year rolling contract (not at all unusual in coaching. Izzo's is 7 years). What it does do is allow recruits to have confidence he will be there.
Which makes Robbins and Heeke's inaction on Miller all the more maddening. KU gets it, extensions help the program, smaller buyout gives you an out.

The approach with Miller should not be complex either, but somehow Robbins and Heeke have turned it into the sort of math class that made me decide to be an English/History major.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is their AD still the cheeseburger guy?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The more extensions that go out convinces me that Robbins and Heeke have no clue how college basketball works. One may be a heart surgeon -- but that doesn't make you a genius to run an athletic department.

The saving grace, knock on wood, is that no underclassmen have entered the transfer portal. Yet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:08 pm The more extensions that go out convinces me that Robbins and Heeke have no clue how college basketball works. One may be a heart surgeon -- but that doesn't make you a genius to run an athletic department.

The saving grace, knock on wood, is that no underclassmen have entered the transfer portal. Yet.
It's just so stupid. I'm fully of the mind it's also not really letting Barnes and the women's team have center stage like they should.

There's this cloud of uncertainty hanging over the men's program such that I'm posting in this thread when otherwise, it would just be Arizona/UConn tonight for me. I don't get what the point of any of this is. We knew we weren't making the Pac tourney. This issue should have been solved then, and it's ridiculous it's persisting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There’s a part of me that wants Miller to take another job, leaving Robbins up shit’s Heeke. Maybe it would lead to them both getting canned. I love Miller and want him to remain our coach, but I also don’t want him to have to endure this treatment any longer. It’s awful.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:24 pm There’s a part of me that wants Miller to take another job, leaving Robbins up shit’s Heeke. Maybe it would lead to them both getting canned. I love Miller and want him to remain our coach, but I also don’t want him to have to endure this treatment any longer. It’s awful.
Miller is pretty toxic right now, so it is doubtful many schools would hire him. He is stuck with Arizona whether he likes it or not, and Arizona is likely stuck with him, unless they cut him loose, and then gamble with the hope of bringing someone relevant in as a replacement, which will be very difficult to pull off. Arizona should have extended him to help with the optics of stability. Yes, factions of the national media have targeted Arizona, but the mismanagement by the University hasn't helped.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Do you guys really trust this administration to hire a basketball coach? Did we not see how this football coaching search went. Thanks Robbins
I said what I said and I mean it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 am So Kansas signed Bill Self to a lifetime deal, that leaves Sean Miller alone on his island.
Maybe KU was worried UNC would hire Self
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I would really like to know what Sean's thinking about all of this. He's a classy guy, so chances are he's just focused on the women's team and trying to enjoy this special moment for Barnes' program. But given all of the coaching/recruiting action this week and last, one wonders if his patience is wearing thin.
prh

Post by prh »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:32 am I would really like to know what Sean's thinking about all of this. He's a classy guy, so chances are he's just focused on the women's team and trying to enjoy this special moment for Barnes' program. But given all of the coaching/recruiting action this week and last, one wonders if his patience is wearing thin.
I would imagine he is feeling great seeing the community support, being reminded of our fanbase, but absolutely pissed about the complete lack of institutional support he's getting, since we are seeing it in full force for the women (as we should!!)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

prh wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:39 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:32 am I would really like to know what Sean's thinking about all of this. He's a classy guy, so chances are he's just focused on the women's team and trying to enjoy this special moment for Barnes' program. But given all of the coaching/recruiting action this week and last, one wonders if his patience is wearing thin.
I would imagine he is feeling great seeing the community support, being reminded of our fanbase, but absolutely pissed about the complete lack of institutional support he's getting, since we are seeing it in full force for the women (as we should!!)
For sure. If you give AZ fans something to get excited about, we are second to none. Okay, maybe second to Kentucky; they crazy. But you're right, prh. He's probably a little ambivalent with the exhilaration of the women's team's success and the embarrassing (and damaging) delay with his contract extension.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who would have been sitting around in 2015 and dreamed up the current situation at McKale?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean is a hard working SOB and he probably has his head down and recruiting the hell out of Soph and upcoming freshman. It is in his DNA.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

No way CSM is sulking and feeling sorry for himself. Not in his DNA especially considering his tough PA upbringing.

My hope is that dumb and dumber have talked to him and told him not to worry about the extension which will happen shortly, and his spending his time focusing his to build a FF team next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This. It's a great moment for the women's team, but it does make for a glaring contrast to how the institution seems to be close to intentionally sandbagging Miller.

Miller and Barnes have always seemed to have a healthy respect for each other. I doubt that's changed with the women's run.

But heck, if I was Sean Miller, I'd be pissed I'm having a harder time filling out my lineup because the institution's screwing me.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:14 pm
This. It's a great moment for the women's team, but it does make for a glaring contrast to how the institution seems to be close to intentionally sandbagging Miller.
:lol:

The women's program also makes a pretty glaring contrast with what's going on with the men's program (see: results).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:14 pm
:lol:

The women's program also makes a pretty glaring contrast with what's going on with the men's program (see: results).
Here's how crazy Sean Miller has made you.

Results of men's program. 5 Pac 12 titles and 7 tourneys in the last 11 years.

Results of women's program. 0 Pac 12 titles and 1 tourney in the last 16 years.

I couldn't be happier about the fantastic run the women's team is making. Barnes has done a great job and there's a bright future, but your takes are so infected with hate of Miller they've gotten laughably bad. Our women's team deserves better takes than this.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

SCCats is a jerk. Just ignore him. What I will say is UCLA tonight showed you why you don't have 2 six foot guards playing against them.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

They also showed why you guard inbounds pass and slow the ball.
I thought they learned that at end of regulation vs Alabama
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

TOS saying lots of smoke yesterday and not good if you’re Miller. With the women’s game today and celebration tomorrow Tuesday or Wednesday might be the time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NickyBCats wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 am TOS saying lots of smoke yesterday and not good if you’re Miller. With the women’s game today and celebration tomorrow Tuesday or Wednesday might be the time.
Well, that would be a bad decision at a bad time that seems to come from pure ego, so it seems legit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That timing would just be so irresponsible. If you were going to do it, why not the week after the season. Just hard to fathom this rumor being correct but when it come to Robbins I guess all bets are off
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So if I'm reading this right, the rumor says Robbins wants to wait until after the women are done to FIRE Miller????

That... makes zero sense. But that's Robbins.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:41 pm So if I'm reading this right, the rumor says Robbins wants to wait until after the women are done to FIRE Miller????

That... makes zero sense. But that's Robbins.
If this is true, it's not only unfair to Miller, it's unfair to the players as well. If they want to consider their transfer options because Miller is fired, then a number of transfer roster spots have already been filled that might have been taken by players on our current roster. Similarly, spots that might have opened up because of Miller leaving might have piqued interest to some in the portal, that may have already made decisions. Not a good look if we waited this long to fire Miller.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

If true...We go from having a preseason top 25 (or better) team...to garbage and not recovering for about 4-5 more years?

I don’t see the benefit of firing...especially after waiting this long. What new evidence is there to do this now instead of any other time in the last 4 years? This is a shit show joke of an administration
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Unless you know who the replacement is and they have already given you verbal agreement it would be insane.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

If this is what happens I'm gonna lose my shit.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hey Robbins! You can fire Miller now you self important piece of shit!!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah, if Robbins wants to punch us in the gut after today's game just get it over with now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller