ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

WildcatStunner

Re: ASU blows

Post by WildcatStunner »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:21 pm Maybe we need to extend an invitation to San Francisco to join the Pac-12?

Also. Has Arizona ever lost by 40 points to anyone? Let alone to a much lower ranked team?
Only thing I can think of is a 39 point loss to Louisville in the 2009 S16.

The Russ Pennel year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Not a shock ASu struggled. Last game before Christmas break, and first game as a ranked team in years. Not an excuse, but also not surprising that ASu wasn't sharp to start the game. But also wasn't expecting a 40 point blow-out, enjoyable as it was to watch Bobby's head explode.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I had a great day yesterday, and that capped it all off. When the announcers are talking about ASU's biggest loss being by 50 in 1956, and when USF has them down (in a place smaller than my small high school's gym) by 47 points midway through the second half, that's more than pre-Christmas doldrums. ASU has to shoot well from outside to win. They've done that so far this season, but they'll have their problems in true road games. This wasn't some big frenzied crowd, and despite Hurley's rants, I didn't see any egregious calls against them. Hurley got tossed on his second technical when he wanted a foul because a USF guy tied-up an ASU guy on a rebound and USF got the possession. It was somewhat aggressive, but pretty much par for the course these days. That was after Hurley had his guy grab the ball each time after a made basket and hand it to the ref to help set up their press, which you're not supposed to do. (The ref then giving it to the in-bounder might give that player the wrong impression that he can't run the baseline.) So, after a couple of times, the ref gave ASU a delay of game warning, which was totally appropriate. Hurley's frustrated bright red face is funny, but he really should learn to take it easy. Meanwhile, as somebody pointed out, ASU will now probably shoot 60% from beyond the arc against us.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Just trying to start the week off right….

…. ASU Sucks!!

…. Beat the Devils!!

Wait, what…. Did Hurley just get another technical?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:50 am
Soooooo… 42 teams received votes in this weeks poll. That puts the scum no higher tha #43. 👀
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:50 am
Best Christmas gift.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Watching them piss down their legs against a mid-major was great, but I wish they had saved their annual embarrassment for this Saturday. They’ll likely play the game of their miserable lives against us. The assholes.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Yes, that is my fear, but the good thing is we should be up for that game, and our good is better than their best.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCatInTheHat

ASU Scene Setter

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Somewhat disjointed scene-setter column by Greg today: Hurley was a huge star at Duke; but today's kids never heard of him. He did great in two years at Buffalo; but he hasn't done anything in his 7 previous years at ASU. The Pac-12 isn't any good; but he hasn't done anything against the league's best teams. There have been other huge stars who went into coaching; but none of them have done anything, either. And if Hurley wins on Saturday, they'll hold a parade and forget about the previous 7 years. Whatever.

Avoiding over-pursuit and maintaining good perimeter defense will be a key, as they're a very good outside shooting team playing at home. I'd rather have them drive on our bigs than let them sit back and comfortably launch threes. We really need to establish an inside presence and dominate the glass. If we can do that, the offense should take care of itself. It's a Pac-12 road game, so the officiating factor is significant, even if Tommy had a honeymoon rookie season and prefers to avoid that controversy. Hopefully, as the feature game of the day on FoX, we'll get assigned straight-forward refs and we won't get the sometime "welcome to Thursday late night in Pullman on the Pac-12 Network" effect.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

This game worries be given ASSU got embarrassed right before Christmas. You almost know they will hit like 20 threes.

We would be behind the right ball if we lose being two games behind UCLA with road games to the LA schools and Colorado (which is always tough).

We need the bench (especially Bal) to play a lot better going forward.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Happy New Year!!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASU does blow!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

It is possible that we have been looking at this from the wrong angle.

Maybe ASU doesnt blow.

Maybe Tempe Sucks.

Discuss.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Saw this on FB.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASSu is working Oregon.

P.S. is there an uglier court than Oregon's?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:32 pm P.S. is there an uglier court than Oregon's?
There are maximum security prison yards that are more aesthetically pleasing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:32 pm P.S. is there an uglier court than Oregon's?
With the Ducks wearing the same colors as on the floor, my objects in motion perception would be going nuts and a few of my shots would end up in the stands. Ducks get to practice on it.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:52 pm
With the Ducks wearing the same colors as on the floor, my objects in motion perception would be going nuts and a few of my shots would end up in the stands. Ducks get to practice on it.
This is what I've always thought about Boise State's football field.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:59 am
Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:52 pm
This is what I've always thought about Boise State's football field.
Which is probably why the NCAA banned such fields, although BSU and others were grandfathered in.

Now do basketball!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I've rode my bike by the BSU field a couple of times and it is truly horrifying
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Scum down 10 at the half
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I caught the last few minutes of the Scummies loss to SC last night.

First, the Trojans tried their best to blow a twenty point lead with 3 minutes to play. Looked similar to our game against the Bruins as ASSU was hacking left and right and the refs just swallowed their whistles. The Trojans just had too big a lead fortunately for them.

But the thing that was so amusing and annoying at the same time was Hurley’s constant whining and theatrics. I watched just a few minutes and saw 2 or 3 times he literally should have been thrown out of the game. And it wasn’t just 1 obvious blown call it was EVERY call. He runs up and down the sidelines waving his arms and screaming like a petulant little brat. He even rushed the court during time outs with his assistants trying to hold him back.

I’ve seen his antics before but he’s such an embarrassment to the coaching profession.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

You ain’t a true Dukie unless you’re a whiney little bitch who thinks the world owes you everything.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Seems like every year he has guys quit on him or the team
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:22 pm Seems like every year he has guys quit on him or the team
This is Hurley deflecting blame on a 21 year old kid. First you never publicly accuse a kid of not coming to play. You are getting paid millions to make sure he is physically and mentally prepared to play. Bagley is the same deal. If he questions you he is gone. I expect Bagley at Arizona next year. Lol.
Last edited by TheCat on Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

HaHa!!!!
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I hate Pac-12 officiating as much as anybody does. The very top handful of refs are adequate, and the league and its mouthpieces always point to their accolades when talking about league officiating. But there's a very quick and drastic drop-off from them, and the ones at the bottom are complete garbage, which shouldn't be the case for all these many years in a P5 conference that chooses not to pay what's needed to train and retain and demand excellence.

But, all that said, Bobby Hurley is completely and totally full of shit.

He coaches his team to consistently foul, but they're just not as good at it as Duke and some others, who know the right techniques, how to pick their moments, and how sight lines work. And maybe they also get some deference as "blue bloods." But, ASU still grabs and hacks away all game long, and Hurley yells, turns red, makes google eyes, and flaps his arms when the refs call fouls on them. And after they lose, Hurley makes his only slightly veiled comments about "what a circus is was out there", and their in-house beat writer dutifully tallies up that more fouls were called on ASU, as though that tells the whole story. Keeps the coach on your side, anyway. Some coaches, dating back to Ned Wulk in my experience, think they can intimidate the refs with their tantrums and complaints, foul away with impunity (especially in a home game), and take that as their divine birth right to an advantage. "We believe in playing tough, physical defense." No, you believe in playing games to make the other team think they're going to get clubbed on every shot with no call, which doesn't tend to inspire smooth rhythm or high percentages to anybody's offense.

Anyway, I always enjoy double-double weekends where we win and they lose, so fuck them. We go up to the Bay Area, then host the Mountains before the scum get set to once again enjoy our hospitality in McKale on Feb. 25.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

What's the deal? a loss to stanford and cal and they are probably NIT bound?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

They’re NIT-bound right now. No way they deserve a tourney bid.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ASu is bublicious right now, likely outside looking in. Their signature win over Michigan isn't looking so great, and have a couple if head scratching losses. Probably need to beat 2 out of 3 against the LA schools and us on the road, plus not lose another head scratcher to feel safe before Vegas.

As for Hurley, reminds me of Mike Stoops. If you go ape poop crazy after every call, first things refs do is ignore the raving lunatic. Next, the refs will seek to stop the madness. In basketball, this is done with a Tech.

Going ape poop over every call is counter productive. Eventually, even the players start running tuning the coach out. And the refs know there's no "winning" with the lunatic, so they tune him out too. It's fine for a coach to go crazy every now and then, but pick your spots.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm ASu is bublicious right now, likely outside looking in. Their signature win over Michigan isn't looking so great, and have a couple if head scratching losses. Probably need to beat 2 out of 3 against the LA schools and us on the road, plus not lose another head scratcher to feel safe before Vegas.

As for Hurley, reminds me of Mike Stoops. If you go ape poop crazy after every call, first things refs do is ignore the raving lunatic. Next, the refs will seek to stop the madness. In basketball, this is done with a Tech.

Going ape poop over every call is counter productive. Eventually, even the players start running tuning the coach out. And the refs know there's no "winning" with the lunatic, so they tune him out too. It's fine for a coach to go crazy every now and then, but pick your spots.
This is correct. When some coaches express a concern, they will be considered just because they are known for only speaking up when something legitimately might have merit.

Coaches who constantly lose their mind are eventually just tuned out.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:59 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:59 pm ASu is bublicious right now, likely outside looking in. Their signature win over Michigan isn't looking so great, and have a couple if head scratching losses. Probably need to beat 2 out of 3 against the LA schools and us on the road, plus not lose another head scratcher to feel safe before Vegas.

This is correct. When some coaches express a concern, they will be considered just because they are known for only speaking up when something legitimately might have merit.

Coaches who constantly lose their mind are eventually just tuned out.
Lute was very good at picking his spots. He was calm about 95% of the time. But when a ref made a bad call against us, you would see angry Lute come out. And angry Lute would intimidate a ref at times, and we'd get a make-up call not long after. It was incredibly effective.

Best coach at picking his spots was Rick Pitino. Was almost always calm, but knew the right time to get a T to light a fire under both the refs and his team. Last thing as an opposing coach or fan you wanted to see from Pitino was him getting upset and getting T'd up. For all of Pitino's issues, he was a heck of a basketball coach.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

asu can maybe lose one more game the regular season to earn an at large bid
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very true about Lute, he exceled at working the refs. Unfortunately two of them, Richie Ballesteros and ??? really had it out for him.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:14 pm Very true about Lute, he exceled at working the refs. Unfortunately two of them, Richie Ballesteros and ??? really had it out for him.
Ballesteros was just an awful ref. I was in the UA Pep Band 1992 - 96. Graduated in 1996 and didn't get to go in 97, but no regrets, as I got to go to a FF in 1994 and earned a UA degree, which I'd trade for nothing.

Anyway, one year we're playing USC, and George Raveling was coaching them. He loved talking to the fans and the band, and at half time, as SC was leaving the court, he called the band over the huddle with us. And we got close and he said something to the effect, "That ref, Ballesteros...worst effing ref ever. Boo every call he makes, regardless of who it's on, or how legitimate it is! I bleeping hate that guy!"

Raveling was another guy who worked refs well, because he had a great sense of humor. He'd call refs over and instead of complaining half the time, he'd say something funny and get the ref laughing. Ref had no idea what hit him.

Hurley? He has only one speed with the refs. Raving lunatic. The schtick gets old for everyone. I think it eventually hurts the team.

Like I said earlier, ASu likely has to win 2 out of 3 between the games in L.A. and Tucson to have a legit chance. Lose another bad game, and it's sweep all three road match-ups. Any less than 2 out of 3 with no bad losses, and they will have to win the PAC-12 tournament in Vegas to get a bid. Will be tough to do with USC and likely Oregon playing for a bid, and UCLA/Arizona battling to stay out west with a hopeful return trip to Vegas two weeks later.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

WAtching the Stanford game and I swear ASU just fouled a guy clearly 3 times and then tide him up....jump ball. They literally foul constantly.
TheCatInTheHat

Fuck ASU

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Good job, Buffs. And ASU: way to represent with your stupid 'curtain of twerkin'. Not just grotesquely tacky, but also completely ineffective.
And not just spontaneous student hi-jinks, but fully approved by the ASU administration. Stay classy.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Props to James Harden.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

After suffering through watching a half-dozen Sun Devils games, now with the regular season over is a good time to reflect.

Why does Hurley let the offense, time and time again, chuck mindless threes off fast breaks??? That’s something Hurley can easily coach his guys against rushing into these low probability shots but at this point, living and dying by the fast break three is the identity of the Sun Devils offense.

The defense is organized. Why can’t the offense be?

I get the sense Pac 12 coaches don’t like Hurley's coaching. For instance, up 20 last Thursday, UCLA kept all their starters on the floor until about twenty seconds left to play. Why? Because Hurley had his guys full court press even after the game was decided. If the game is decided, the last four minutes are a good time to empty the benches and give playing time to freshman or Rudy type seniors. Jerk move.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Shout Out

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

This is for two sets of supposedly adult ASU fans. The first set was carefully dressed in brand-new, non-logo UCLA blue hats and shirts. But they bellowed every time ASU hit a three, whined about every call that went Arizona's way, and referred to ASU as "us." Little doubt, but way to represent and both be big-mouthed and spineless at a neutral venue. I waited until we went on a big run and they were finally silent, mentioned the championship game, and we went to sit with friends elsewhere. Then, on our way there, there's a gal wearing an ASU shirt, but with a UCLA shirt over her shoulder, like maybe just removed. The guy was wearing an Arizona shirt, but he was carrying an ASU sweatshirt. They were leaving for good with plenty of time remaining. So that's a couple of more (not so) confusing fashion choices.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

If only I could be as thrilled about ________ as ASU is about the First Four:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

It's such a tradition at this point I'm surprised they still care that much. Really says it all about where their program is at.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, the ASU Play-In Invitational starts tonight?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It's so hilarious how they celebrate making the play-in game.

Expectations are quite low as they should be...
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Haha, classic!