UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AZCatGirl

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by AZCatGirl »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:50 pm With unbalanced schedule… UCLA does not come to Tucson next year

This was their last game at McKale for a long time

Sucks

I love AZ/UCLA rivalry
At least we ended things on a high note.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That's what I heard, wanted to confirm.

Glad we sent those pot lickers packing with a big fatty L.
Hope they have fond memories of Tucson after they get pounded at the RAC by a middling Rutgers team and crying in their avocado toast at 4:45 in the morning as they are flying home over Vegas!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I would like to congratulate UCLA for not spitting on anyone in this game
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It is a shame to end such a classic rivalry.

I am not comparing it to the Duke UNC rivalry, but for the last 40 years, it is the next best rivalry in college basketball, and you can give all the examples you want, but there have been very few years where either team has been down, not sure either has been bad, and maybe not a year where both are down at the same time.

Don't give me Kansas Mizzou, not even UofM MSU, and get the hell out with your Kentucky Louisville crap.

Hey bruins, I'll wave (at least one finger at you) when you are flying overhead from Minnesota to Penn State, hope you brought your wool socks, felt packs and chooks.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:50 pm With unbalanced schedule… UCLA does not come to Tucson next year

This was their last game at McKale for a long time

Sucks

I love AZ/UCLA rivalry
DIE TROLLOPS! DIE! DIE! FUCKING DIE!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCatInTheHat

Good Fucking Riddance

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I'll root for every team in the Big Ten to kick their ass, and I hope every ref in the Big Ten greets their players with: "Hi, Hollywood." We beat their ass in McKale in the first season in the Pac, and we beat them in essentially the last (real) year of the Pac.

Meanwhile, some douche on a P12N "between games show" (and I wish they would have moved to Henderson and cleaned house, instead of moving to the East Bay), said the following about Cronin in criticizing his team's defense. "Kudos to Mick for demanding excellence." Not, "What a complete dick for not acknowledging the defense of a team that held you to your lowest point total of the year." Not, "He shouldn't whine about the refs when his team fouls relentlessly and has been allowed to get away with it, due to historical local customs." So, deciphering the code-speak, Cronin just said he wants his team to foul MORE, until someone gets hurt, and he expects league refs to let him get away with it because...UCLA.

I really don't understand the Pac-12 bending over backwards to "take care" of USC football with their scheduling for Notre Dame and whatever else, and pandering to UCLA hoops because "it's best for our league because some sports editor in Scanton doesn't know anything about our other teams." They're quitters and traitors. Rake 'em over the coals and screw them over relentlessly, every chance you get. Does Kliavkoff really think they'll have second thoughts and come crawling back home? Or is it part of negotiating TV rights? If so, fuck him too. League teams should be prohibited from scheduling USC or UCLA non-conference. They should get Fresno State or nobody remotely decent west of Las Cruces.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Is it too much to ask we schedule them out of conference every year? Alternating between who hosts?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Maybe we could play them every year in between their games at Maryland and Rutgers.

Hehehe!!!
-Norlander.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I think UCLA is thrilled to not have to visit McKale anymore. In the Pac era, they're 15-25 at McKale, which is a stat I'm sure they don't want to broadcast. I'm not interested in holding out a tin cup to them hoping for a few coins. They might do it, in exchange for 2 for 1 at Pauley, some guarantee that if one of their asshole players spits on our student section or something otherwise embarrassing that we'll take full responsibility for it and cover it up for them, concierge service from the refs (maybe bringing their own), or something along those lines. Meanwhile, we've had Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan, and many others come to McKale. It's hard, but it can be done. And I'd just as soon have an alternating annual home-and-home with Gonzaga as with UCLA; nicer people. Same deal with USC football. We've had good non-conference teams come into Arizona Stadium before. Both teams may be God's gift as far as the LA Times is concerned, but I'd be very interested to see how roadies into hostile Big Ten country ("Beat LA") turn out, interspersed with exciting games against San Jose State.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

F UCLA. Start a series with Kansas or Gonzaga. I hope we beat their a$$ In Westwood and shut up all their fans and these so called experts
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I bet UA and UCLA will play every year non conference

I think a 5 arena rotation would be best for this

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:57 pm I bet UA and UCLA will play every year non conference

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE
I bet we won’t play them again for years.

Why would PAC-10 teams provide revenue to the schools that spurned them?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:57 pm I bet UA and UCLA will play every year non conference

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE
I hope the same thing but it is totally doubtful. With UCLA having to travel so much I doubt they schedule any road non conference games other than pre season tourneys. Those tourneys will be our best bet to play them in the future
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:00 pm

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE

Because Pac 10 teams would need the revenue? I mean fuck the LA schools, but the world is a better place if UCLA and Arizona continue to play in basketball and I know Arizona would very much like to continue playing them, especially in LA and in McKale. If UCLA is going to play a non-conference road game it would make infinitely more sense to stay close to LA as opposed to further, so playing Arizona would still make a ton of sense.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:21 pm

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE

Because Pac 10 teams would need the revenue? I mean fuck the LA schools, but the world is a better place if UCLA and Arizona continue to play in basketball and I know Arizona would very much like to continue playing them, especially in LA and in McKale. If UCLA is going to play a non-conference road game it would make infinitely more sense to stay close to LA as opposed to further, so playing Arizona would still make a ton of sense.
You’re banking on the PAC-10 doing something that makes sense and guarantees revenue and recruiting advantages as opposed to acting out of spite?

Ha
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE

I completely agree with the sentiment surrounding never playing them again (and hoping nobody else in the west plays them either).

The reality is that UCLA/USC will have no issue finding non-conference games......because they will have B1G $$$$$. In fact, they will likely find it easier to schedule Western opponents than the P10 schools due to the $100M in revenue they will be hauling in.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE
I suspect you will see this rivalry go the way of the old New Mexico-Arizona rivalry.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't understand the sentiment in never playing UCLA again. UCLA is a premier program and sure helps the resume over playing Bakersfield or Fresno State. Lots of payback coming up, just as I can never get enough in beating Duke or Illinois.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Recruiting footprint.

The UC regents probably expect UCLA to play Cal every year anyways.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My guess is UCLA refuses to schedule us for years
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:12 pm

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE
I hope the same thing but it is totally doubtful. With UCLA having to travel so much I doubt they schedule any road non conference games other than pre season tourneys. Those tourneys will be our best bet to play them in the future
I agree with you that we now only see them in MTE's and the NCAA tourney, the committee will remember this rivalry and wants $$$$ and viewers!!
-Norlander.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

FYI boosters at UCLA believe UA and UCLA will play every year in basketball

It would be foolish not to play them every year

Refusing to do so because they are leaving the PAC-12 is loser thinking
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 am FYI boosters at UCLA believe UA and UCLA will play every year in basketball

It would be foolish not to play them every year

Refusing to do so because they are leaving the PAC-12 is loser thinking
The complication will be scheduling

if they want to play before conference season, games would need to be very early (November), or else, games during semester breaks would mean games without students.

Matching weeks when conference schedules have only single games(ASSU, USC), would be lucky if they occurred at similar timing.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE

You’re banking on the PAC-10 doing something that makes sense and guarantees revenue and recruiting advantages as opposed to acting out of spite?

Ha
The Pac-10 doesn't control our OOC schedules. We make our own OOC schedules.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 pm My guess is UCLA refuses to schedule us for years

UCLA had average attendance of 7410 last season at Pauley, with 11,268 v. Arizona.

They are not going to give that up, along with getting better times and channels when they do play Arizona.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:26 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm

Pauley
McKale
Crypto or New Clippers
Footprint
T-MOBILE

Ha
The Pac-10 doesn't control our OOC schedules. We make our own OOC schedules.
I’d be willing to bet that if Kliavkoff and Co. said no, Robbins and Heeke would bow to their wishes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Whelp. One game lead now. What a terrible second half, giving up 50.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Mick's act is getting old. His players are afraid to make a mistake. He has no offense other then a drive and dish or one on one with JJJ and Tyger.. He belittles players in front of teammates, family and a national audience.

Well he might be right that this one was on the Defense. This was arguably Peterson worst game ever so you don't want to lose this one.

Arizona is very athletically challenged but they run an offense and get guys decent shots. Mick has gotten recruits but his demeanor will alienate some players and a lot of parents.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:35 pm Mick's act is getting old. His players are afraid to make a mistake. He has no offense other then a drive and dish or one on one with JJJ and Tyger.. He belittles players in front of teammates, family and a national audience.

Well he might be right that this one was on the Defense. This was arguably Peterson worst game ever so you don't want to lose this one.

Arizona is very athletically challenged but they run an offense and get guys decent shots. Mick has gotten recruits but his demeanor will alienate some players and a lot of parents.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la- ... story.html

ucla has only hired their first choice of coach one time in the past three decades (Howland). Cronin was no better than their 3rd choice; probably 4th or 5th depending on which rumors were real. There's a reason Cronin wasn't ever offered by other decent programs: he's just a very average coach. Look at his career record. He only won his league two times in 13 seasons at Cincy, and he made it past the second round of the NCAA tourney only one time. I guess he now gets credit for taking ucla to a FF so quickly, but which did that have more to do with, Cronin's coaching dominance or Juzang becoming the hottest player in the country for a couple weeks? Last season, Cronin returned his entire FF team and couldn't even win the Pac. This season, he has the Pac's best, most experienced roster. Will he do anything with it?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Tommy cracked the code on defending UCLA.

3 athletic guards switching like crazy on their 3 offensive leaders. They had nowhere to go off the dribble.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Actually it was Murph’s game plan but point taken.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DIE TROLLOPS! DIE! DIE! FUCKING DIE!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Not a good look from little Mick. He takes no accountability and throws players under the bus. Would you want your kid playing for this guy? Think the pressure of big time basketball is getting to him.

https://twitter.com/uclambb/status/1621 ... _cIAfa6MNg

Being noticed by even the diehards on the UCLA site. He even says Arizona only beat Washington by 3 a month ago.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That is a curious press conference to cite, a victory in which UCLA never trailed. They did have double their turnovers, 18 against a 9 per game average, which was also their worst turnover rate game since 2019. When a team that is normally excellent at preventing turnovers, gives up a shit ton in a game, I'm not so sure that's a one off coaching flaw to cite as Rome on fire.

But when Mick Cronin "blames" the players, he's usually also saying that it's his fault that his players weren't doing well. He's pretty candidate when there is a breakdown, that the blame starts with him.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oh okay. Maybe go read your own site and get that straight. Must not have watched UCLA play lately. I can understand that because it is about as exciting as watching paint dry. The Bruins played well the first half and then were outscored in the second. They did lead the whole game but the lack of any offense in the second half when teams adjust seems to be a problem lately. This is the second game with turnovers and certainly Mick is getting prickly with the press which is never good. But Mick will tell you that they are in the all the top 5 categories in the nation that really matter. I guess points scored doesn't really matter.
JJJ and Tyger seem to be likeable players even to a lot of Arizona fans. Hate to see their coach belittle them at the end of their careers. I bet their parents do too. Not sure what Mick meant by "we don't buy players" but you have an active NIL at UCLA right?. Doesn't UCLA have a player that bought himself and his mother a Porche with NIL money? I guess Mick is feeling the heat to just throw that accusation out there. Maybe taking a shot and USC or Arizona who knows. Got to admit that was out of left field.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I absolutely hate losing to Mick. It's not just an I-hate-UCLA thing; it also derives from the Cincy v Xavier history. But I do like his pressers. He's blunt and severe and boils the basketball world down to a pithy harshness. I hate his tactic of slow game isolation, I just want to throttle him. But he gets an efficiency and grip out of his players, I'll give him that. It may come at the cost of terrorizing them, but I doubt he's on the edge of losing the public opinion battle. His "pliers and blowtorches" style of coaching may well take the Trollops further in the dance than our "let 'er rip" aw shucks assassin takes us. I fucking hate that.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Mick reminds me of the character Vizzinie in The Princess Bride. Short, bald, tyrannical, spits when he talks, orders around giants, gets into battles of wit he couldn’t possibly win, etc
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bruins drop two of these last four road games.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oregon will be tough if they are hitting from the outside. UCLA's center about to face 3 highly rated 7fters. Might want to get Mac ready after 5 mins.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Had this game as a loss, being on the road. Then Bailey got hurt, and the refs dicked the front court every chance they could get. Good win for UCLA.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Can't wait to watch the Tennessee vs UCLA barn burner. 22-23 final score. Tennessee and UCLA will have to score to be a serious threat for a deep run in the tourney. Arizona will need to defend better and find a different way then over the top to initiate passes inside. I always pull for the PAC in the tourney. Glad it is the last time I have to cheer UCLA and USC.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

College Rivalry gameday is choosing to go to UNC-Duke over Arizona-UCLA. They already went to the early matchup between Duke-UNC
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

UCLA holding serve in Boulder to clinch the conference title. Congrats to Coach Cronin and the Bruins. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

STFU
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:22 pm UCLA holding serve in Boulder to clinch the conference title. Congrats to Coach Cronin and the Bruins. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
I agree. Just hope it is another decade before they win another conference title.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

P12 regular title is nice, get Jaime some rest next week, do some damage in the P12 tournament, lock up a 1 seed and get back to the Final Four.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No respect, I tell ya, no respect at all.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... QTwGLZDTUs

Voters in this week's Coaches Poll dropped UCLA a spot to No. 4, despite the fact that the Bruins clinched the Pac-12 title with road wins over Utah and Colorado last week while extending their winning streak to eight games. At 25-4 (16-2 Pac-12), UCLA owns the nation's eighth-longest winning streak, but that was not enough for the Bruins to fend off Kansas in the poll as the Jayhawks (24-5, 12-4 Big 12) jumped a spot to No. 3.KU beat TCU and West Virginia last week, barely scraping past the Mountaineers at home.

Meanwhile, Purdue stayed put at No. 5 in the Coaches Poll even after a 79-71 home loss to Indiana which marked the Boilermakers' fourth loss in six games.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:18 pm College Rivalry gameday is choosing to go to UNC-Duke over Arizona-UCLA. They already went to the early matchup between Duke-UNC
Not that I care, but it is hilarious that ESPN hates the Pac 12 (actually probably UofA) so much that they are choosing to go to see a bubble team play a 7ish seed in a game that will decide if two teams are 5th and 8th in the 6th best conference in college hoops, or go see a top ten tilt between what could be a 1 seed and a 2 seed.

Guess Seth and Jay don't need their domes spit shined for 10 hrs prior to tipoff.
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Man, I really wish JJJ would come back for a other season