UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

Would be nice two have a shot at the rubber match without two injured starters but that's just the way it is. Hopefully we get Bona back next week. Doubt we know until Sunday night haha
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:02 am Would be nice two have a shot at the rubber match without two injured starters but that's just the way it is. Hopefully we get Bona back next week. Doubt we know until Sunday night haha
Cronin should hold him out - then a loss would be less countable/a win even more convincing - then reveal he’ll return for the NCAA’s

If the injury is a contusion, like Kerr’s, he’ll surely be back. If its structural, hard to say
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m expecting UCLA to show up strong no matter who is on the court.

Btw, I just realized who Cronin reminds me of. Pig Vomit from Howard Stern’s Private Parts movie.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I think he reminds me of Gargamel.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think he definitely showed it last night. Today is a whole other beast. Literally have three post players healthy right now. Two backup centers and JJJ at the 4. No backup PF. I think both teams are locked in at two. UCLA probably should be a 1, but I think they'll be penalized for the injuries.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think he deserves to be in the running but let’s face it from a season standpoint they had a lot of firepower returning.

I’m also not falling for the injury narrative. They still have Tyger, JJJ and Singleton who can go off. And you know what they say about wounded animals. Arizona better be ready for a battle.

Third game in 3 days for both teams. I think Az tries to push the tempo and wear down the Bruins in the second half, but let’s face the tougher team mentally will probably prevail. I think that favors UCLA tbh.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The Mincey Trollops have an inherent advantage over The Magnificent Seven: there's just more of them.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:04 am I think he deserves to be in the running but let’s face it from a season standpoint they had a lot of firepower returning.

I’m also not falling for the injury narrative. They still have Tyger, JJJ and Singleton who can go off. And you know what they say about wounded animals. Arizona better be ready for a battle.

Third game in 3 days for both teams. I think Az tries to push the tempo and wear down the Bruins in the second half, but let’s face the tougher team mentally will probably prevail. I think that favors UCLA tbh.
Vegas agrees with you. Can't believe that without Bona/Clark and essentially what is always an Arizona home game in Vegas, the line is a pick em. I think in some places it's gone to UCLA -1.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

From an AZ standpoint- all I care about in tonight’s game is finishing healthy and ready for next week.

I would actually love if we go 10 deep today and limit minutes
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:19 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:09 pm BeachCat's hate for all things UCLA really is something.
Oh I just gotta call out their fans for being trolls. This guy is basically the very definition of a troll and has been for years.

He also only comes out of his sewer when ucla is halfway decent, which is so on brand for bruin fans.

Anyway, eff ucla. Done with this thread now.
I thought you were done in with this thread? Don't bail out when you get called out and hide behind neg rep. Either stand behind your troll attempts or just actually do what you say. Not be a little bitch and hide behind neg rep when your dipshit comments don't go over well.

Heh.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UCLA did an incredible job of rallying after Bona went down - they are a very tight and adaptable team - we already knew that.

Often when a key player goes down, a team can rise to the occasion for the rest of the game. However, when following opponents have a chance to plan how to address the absence, the consequences of the absence are worse. If Bona can't play, UCLA's best two defenders will be absent - that should be a critical deficit.

Also, while UCLA has a larger rotation, their three most critical players have played more minutes in the last two games that Any Arizona player. If any fatigue factors into the players' performances, they are just as worn out as we are.

Three tough games in three consecutive days is very unusual for collegiate athletes. If fatigue does play a role, it would most likely impact three-point shooting - that's something to watch for. They're all young and very well-conditioned, but, when your legs are tired, jump shooting is complicated!

Also, I do not think Arizona will be "forgiven" for crappy FT shooting tonite!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Seeds are set and nothing changes with a win for either I think. Might be playing for a 2 out west if we win but if UCLA is the 1 in the west (which I think they will be), then we are already headed east no matter if we win
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If I were Arizona I would assume Bona plays and prepare for a back and forth battle.

Bug, will UCLA announce if he’s a go or not or will we find out at tip-off?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:59 am If I were Arizona I would assume Bona plays and prepare for a back and forth battle.

My guess is they don't announce anything about Bona, especially in a format where you play every day like this one. I don't even know if they are getting an MRI done today, though maybe they rush one. I suspect we here Bona status Sunday night/Monday morning, like with Clark. After NCAA seeding.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:12 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:59 am If I were Arizona I would assume Bona plays and prepare for a back and forth battle.

My guess is they don't announce anything about Bona, especially in a format where you play every day like this one. I don't even know if they are getting an MRI done today, though maybe they rush one. I suspect we here Bona status Sunday night/Monday morning, like with Clark. After NCAA seeding.
Thanks. I have no idea why you get negative rep’d for answering a fucking question but whatever. I gave you positive rep to offset the idiocy.

I assume if there is even the slightest risk of Bona not being available for next week Cronin will sit him. Assuming Clark is out.

I hope Bona plays. I don’t want a tainted win.😉
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:33 am

Thanks. I have no idea why you get negative rep’d for answering a fucking question but whatever. I gave you positive rep to offset the idiocy.

I assume if there is even the slightest risk of Bona not being available for next week Cronin will sit him. Assuming Clark is out.

First win didn't have Bailey. This game won't have Clark. RC will have to deal with the taint 😂
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I too hope Bona IS well enough to play tonite. For his sake, more than either team's...

I also believe that UCLA would not withhold from the seeding committee if they knew would be able to play in the tourney - historically, injuries to critical players has been a factor used in seeding decisions - UCLA should, by all rights, be very, very interested in a #1 seed in the West!!!

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Nobody is 100% healthy this time of year, so I'll take a tainted win all day long, if only for Tommy's record of new HC 2 year wins. All due respect for Bug, but I want to beat the Trollops like a rented pinata and send them slinking back to Westwood with their balls in a plaster cast. Beating teams that know us inside and out, especially good teams like UCLA, shows that both our coaches and team can adapt to adjusted competition. Besides, watching Cappy gack down another big turd never gets old.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If I were UCLA I wouldn't say a damn thing about injuries until after the bracket is revealed tomorrow. Don't give the committee any more amo.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I agree with AZCG, in fact I wouldn't have said anything about clarke's Achilles injury, and I'd make like I'm holding bona out cause he's sore, and not give any more long term info than I had to til Sunday night.

I also agree with dove, I want to send the chubby woodchucks back with their stubby tails between their legs, they can call it motivation for revenge on f they want, we only have a couple more chances to hand them their arses and I want to have the last word in this relationship, since they are breaking it off.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bona officially out for today, expected back next week.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

What a battle. Both teams exhausted down the stretch. The last couple of minutes, UCLA didn't have the height to grab a rebound. Ramey got some redemption an Andrews had a chance to win it. Would have liked three games full strength vs you guys full strength, but that's the way it goes. UCLA should have enough to get a 1, but I think they'll be dinged with the Clark injury in the end. If we are shipped out, I hope it's the East regional. I think we'd have more fans in NY than any of the other sites
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I damn near had a heart attack, Bug.

Great game. We as a conf are getting fucked.

You guys deserve a no 1 regardless of the outcome.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Congrats on the season Bug. You guys battled tonight as I expected. Both teams played tough defense and whomever won was going to be a little fortunate. But this is McKale North, don’t ever forget it.😉

Hope your injured guys return for the Tourney. Good luck.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Oh and the game is trending, but only because of conference incompetence.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sounds like someone went after Mick's dad after the game. Mick bailed on the presser to check on his dad.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Thanks Bug. Thanks for being the kind of guy who can hang out with us when we play a worthy, respected, yet despised opponent. You are a singular dude. You elevate this forum and we're glad to have you.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Cronin just said his takeaway from the game was that blown offensive call in the first half. What a whiny sore loser. He should have said how proud he was of his team’s performance with a couple of key players out.

Bug, teach your coach a modicum of class. It’s really a bad look.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:46 am I think he definitely showed it last night. Today is a whole other beast. Literally have three post players healthy right now. Two backup centers and JJJ at the 4. No backup PF. I think both teams are locked in at two. UCLA probably should be a 1, but I think they'll be penalized for the injuries.
He was voted best dressed what more can you want.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:38 pm Cronin just said his takeaway from the game was that blown offensive call in the first half. What a whiny sore loser. He should have said how proud he was of his team’s performance with a couple of key players out.

The sooner people start ignoring press conferences the better. Even better when they don't reply on posts designed to rile people up. Before Mick rushed to check on his father, he discussed the fouls and turnovers his team committed. He wasn't bothered by Tyger's missed FT and said he would stake his career on Tyger being at the line.

Here is the press conference. Don't get pulled into petty board squabbles :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizWAvg8tiE&t=193s
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:20 pm Sounds like someone went after Mick's dad after the game. Mick bailed on the presser to check on his dad.
I would keep a close eye on those UCLA fans after a big loss and I'm glad Mick went to check on him. I'm sure every Arizona fan knows what Mick's dad looks like.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Also sounds like UCLA AD, Martin Jarmond, had a heated exchange with George K over the Hep incident
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 pm What a battle. Both teams exhausted down the stretch. The last couple of minutes, UCLA didn't have the height to grab a rebound. Ramey got some redemption an Andrews had a chance to win it. Would have liked three games full strength vs you guys full strength, but that's the way it goes. UCLA should have enough to get a 1, but I think they'll be dinged with the Clark injury in the end. If we are shipped out, I hope it's the East regional. I think we'd have more fans in NY than any of the other sites
UCLA definitely wins this game with all their starters. The Bruins should get a 1 and they deserve it. It took all Arizona had to beat a depleted Bruin team not to mention some horrible officiating. Cronin has a good reason to be upset. A win is a win but I like mine without an asterisk or multiple ones.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Maybe Tyger and JJJ want to come back and defend their title for one more year?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:47 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:38 pm Cronin just said his takeaway from the game was that blown offensive call in the first half. What a whiny sore loser. He should have said how proud he was of his team’s performance with a couple of key players out.

The sooner people start ignoring press conferences the better. Even better when they don't reply on posts designed to rile people up. Before Mick rushed to check on his father, he discussed the fouls and turnovers his team committed. He wasn't bothered by Tyger's missed FT and said he would stake his career on Tyger being at the line.

Here is the press conference. Don't get pulled into petty board squabbles :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizWAvg8tiE&t=193s
I wasn’t trying to start a a squabble. I was pointing out what your coach said when asked about his takeaway from the game. Yeah, he defended Tyger and rightly so.

But to say his takeaway was a missed call in the first half comes across as a sore loser. He should be better than that. That was my point.

What happened to his father btw?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 pm
A win is a win but I like mine without an asterisk or multiple ones.
Don't fret, kitten, it wasn't your win.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Wasn't saying you were doing it, sorry. It's pretty heated between the two 247 boards right now because of this "take". It's a big nothing burger because Mick had to rush out and help his dad before anything meaningful could actually be asked in the presser. This is all the info so far on Mick's dad. I'm guess some fans were a bit too drunk. (Mick's brother is not a fun follow though, don't get lost in that rabbit hole)
TheCatInTheHat

Tyger Choked

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Returning from post-game celebrations here in Vegas. A couple of facts of life that comes from more than Arizona fans is that ASU fans are a-holes, and UCLA fans are whiny bitches. Nobody should allow anyone to manipulate them into being put on the defensive from uncorroborated accusations by disgruntled fans. In an 18,000 seat arena with fans mixed together in a heated game, IF a water bottle landed on the ground in Bailey's zip code, and IF some fan bumped and got into it with a crusty frustrated former coach who no doubt is always a saintly apostle, that's unfortunate, and I'm sure we're all just relieved that neither suffered any actual damage, thanks to the quick action of the extensive T-Mobile Arena event management staff, if any was actually needed. I'm sure Robbins and Heeke will fall all over themselves with apologies on demand and defame Arizona fans with no proof required, but that's the kind of politicians they are. Or maybe in some UCLA fans' fantasies Arizona fans will all hang their heads in shame and feel as though the Tyger Choke Game is somehow tarnished. It isn't, and it won't matter if any misguided posters wring their hands and disagree.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 pm Maybe Tyger and JJJ want to come back and defend their title for one more year?
Maybe you didn't hear but you won't be in this conference. By defend your title you aren't talking the PAC Tourney title because you haven't won it in like a decade. I think you have a good chance of getting those guys back but who knows. The experts think Bona is a first rounder.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I hope Dr Dan is bigger than Mic or he would need a step ladder to knock someone out. Seems like it is now an assault. Went from saying some nasty thing to assault very quickly. If it was assault then maybe Arizona can teach you how to deal with it legally because we have experience with that and UCLA players.

Also find it difficult to believe that an Arizona fan threw a water bottle at "never pass the ball" Bailey when Ariz was making a run. Who knows. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

I assume you also worry about the reported flashing of white supremacist hand signals by Larsson that UCLA fans said occurred. That has me worried.

Or maybe about the foul disparity where we had 19 and UCLA had 18 including 10 by the stiffs trying to guard the Tourney's MVP and Ballo. Lots to investigate here.

Losing doesn't build character, it reveals it
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It sucks there was any type of incident no matter who originated it. It sounded like an awesome atmosphere. Too bad the ending was tainted like that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:42 am
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 pm Maybe Tyger and JJJ want to come back and defend their title for one more year?
Maybe you didn't hear but you won't be in this conference.
Oh?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:59 am I hope Dr Dan is bigger than Mic or he would need a step ladder to knock someone out. Seems like it is now an assault. Went from saying some nasty thing to assault very quickly. If it was assault then maybe Arizona can teach you how to deal with it legally because we have experience with that and UCLA players.

Also find it difficult to believe that an Arizona fan threw a water bottle at "never pass the ball" Bailey when Ariz was making a run. Who knows. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

I assume you also worry about the reported flashing of white supremacist hand signals by Larsson that UCLA fans said occurred. That has me worried.

Or maybe about the foul disparity where we had 19 and UCLA had 18 including 10 by the stiffs trying to guard the Tourney's MVP and Ballo. Lots to investigate here.

Losing doesn't build character, it reveals it
Jewls!
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:15 am Wasn't saying you were doing it, sorry. It's pretty heated between the two 247 boards right now because of this "take". It's a big nothing burger because Mick had to rush out and help his dad before anything meaningful could actually be asked in the presser. This is all the info so far on Mick's dad. I'm guess some fans were a bit too drunk. (Mick's brother is not a fun follow though, don't get lost in that rabbit hole)
Bruins radio broadcast and AP is reporting an Arizona fan yelled at coach Mick Cronin's father after Pac 12 title game. Mind you this is an 81 year old man. This needs to be investigated. We can't have behavior like this and allow it to go on. It takes all the fun out of the games and fans like that should never be allowed to attend future games. Absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. I have to wonder if security was doing their jobs. Apparently not.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OMG , could bruin fans whine more? Show me video of an AZ fan yelling directly at Cronins dad and I will believe it.

Wasn’t he sitting behind the bruin bench? Didn’t he have his own fans around him. I call gigantic bullshit on this.

Sounds like Mick got his behavior from his pops, not surprising. AZ fans were excited and I am sure things were said but I really doubt fans knew an 81 year old guy was Cronin’s dad.

What’s obvious is the good captain is a troll account and sucks his own nuts
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Of course the independent and reliable Bruins radio team. Did they report on Pelle flashing white supremacy hand signals also? So was it yelling or assault? Tell me how any Arizona fan would know what Cronin's father looked like. I mean he may be a star in Westwood but not sure normal people would recognize him.

If it occurred it is regrettable. Kind of like his son's press conference where he gave no credit to anyone and blamed the refs. He was also wrong about the dunk of the year because that occurred on the next play. I understand your frustration. We dealt with it for about 19.5 minutes in the second half. Then we won.......
Last edited by TheCat on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

If ANY Arizona fan did either of those things, they should be barred for life from any and all U of A events.

Period.

There can be neither justification nor tolerance for any of that!!!!

― Kinky Friedman
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I got yelled at by an opposing fan once. Where’s my investigation?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

No fans should be assaulting fans from other teams let alone an 81 year old man. UA fans need to hold ourselves to a higher standards even if we perceive the coach from the other team to be an asshat. Just because we won doesn't give us any right to be douches to others. We're better than that
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am I got yelled at by an opposing fan once. Where’s my investigation?
Come back and make light when its your 81 year-old father being treated like that!!

Not funny!!

― Kinky Friedman