UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by azcat49 »

“I saw someone say I tried to play defense for the first time and my body couldn’t take it,” Kriisa said. “I attacked the roller, and it just kind of dislocated. I put it back, and yeah, that was pretty much it.”

It was a Star article. Here is what he said above
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Deep muscle contusions can take a long time to heal, glad it was a dislocation, as long as there isn't damage to but if it just popped back in, that should be a pretty quick heal.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CardiacCats97

Re: Tyger Choked

Post by CardiacCats97 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:12 am On the subject of the apple not falling far from the tree, there seems to be quite the polarization between those who think all octogenarians are timid and saintly, and those who've seen that there's a percentage of a-holes in every age and demographic, even if some don't realize their own limitations.
I got into an argument with a very elderly man recently in a parking lot over a disputed spot. I pulled into it not realizing he was also waiting. He blocked me in, got out of his car (with his walker) and was yelling at me calling me all kinds of names. I explained that I was sorry, didn’t see him, and that there was a much closer handicapped spot open which he could take since he had handicapped plates.

He got like ten times as mad when I mentioned the handicapped spot. Screamed at me he wasn’t disabled and how dare I call him that, the plate was for his wife, blah blah blah.

Then this crowd of people formed and this one lady also started yelling at me to “stop abusing that elderly gentleman” and would not stop even though I tried to explain that he was the aggressor, had blocked me in, called me a son of a bitch ten times, etc. Then she said she was calling the cops to report “an assault”. I told her to go ahead and that I’d be in the market if anyone needed me. And I left.

When I came out no one was around. No cops. Not even a note. But at least Karen gets to tell everyone how she defended that sweet old man from a vicious parking lot assault. Every time she tells the story I probably get bigger, meaner, and better armed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Then there's this twat.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:15 pm Then there's this twat.
That explains TC's earlier ramblings. That's the first I saw that haha
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1. Knows nothing about basketball and the 3 point made hand sign
2. Knowns nothing about the Arizona Wildcats and the WC hand sign
3. Knows nothing about Pelle Larsson calling him a Tucson redneck.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:32 pm 1. Knows nothing about basketball and the 3 point made hand sign
2. Knowns nothing about the Arizona Wildcats and the WC hand sign
3. Knows nothing about Pelle Larsson calling him a Tucson redneck.
By the way - Pelle has been doing that all season long. Nothing new here.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ve lived in Redneck country a long time.

Tucson ain’t it.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

She thinks he’s flashing White Power hand signals on national television and she’s the only one who noticed? The stupid is strong with that one.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

wyo-cat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm I’ve lived in Redneck country a long time.

Tucson ain’t it.
Yup. Me too. And what's more, I AM a redneck, and even I know this bullshit is just a tempest in a teapot. Butthurt in a Bruin.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

She also must not know he is from Sweden and that Scandinavians are some of the kindest, most inclusive, most content, community minded people in the world.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:00 pm She also must not know he is from Sweden and that Scandinavians are some of the kindest, most inclusive, most content, community minded people in the world.
She dug her heels in, they are racists over there too.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I read those comments, she got skewered by both sides. Crazy!!
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:11 pm
azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:15 pm Then there's this twat.
That explains TC's earlier ramblings. That's the first I saw that haha
It wouldn't be the first you heard of it if you read your own UCLA board. Pelle = white power. Fuckin idiots.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:32 pm I know this bullshit is just a tempest in a teapot. Butthurt in a Bruin.
I think most of this is fan backlash from living in a very fanny-kissing LA media bubble and resenting having some bogus narratives exposed.

Campbell leg-whips Larsson in front of a real student section, so the students naturally pick on him the rest of the game with actual booing. The reaction: Gasp! Booing our hero! And on national television! They just don't like his hair! They don't understand the struggles he endured at his exclusive Indiana prep school. The family is shocked...SHOCKED at going to a big road game and having their darling booed (for the never-mentioned leg whip.)

Then, the always uncontrolled Etienne spits on a student in front of a security guard at McKale, and the student presses charges. (Note: In the first few minutes of the game in Vegas, I predicted he'd foul out.) The reaction: How ridiculous to blow something out of proportion and embarrass UCLA in the media for having classless players: we must get revenge. (Next game: the loss last year in Vegas.) Powder-blue mushroom clouds from exploding Bruin fans' heads was clearly visible.

Cut to this year. We must get revenge the next time we play in McKale. (Yet another loss.) A routine 9-point win in Pauley with a little help from their friends didn't heal the deep psychological pain. And another loss in Vegas was just too much, resulting in more powder blue mushroom clouds.

So we got Cronin's cranky old man unhappy with the outcome and getting into it with some kid, the keyboard warriors with whatever they can dream up, and a very willing audience looking for something to hang onto and accepting every word with wide eyes and open mouths.

Over the last 40 years, it's 45-45, but we'll see what each team fields in terms of personnel next year. The Pac-12 being what it is, they'll probably have the advantage at their place, with no return game at McKale. But there may be another opportunity in Vegas. After that, it'll be a new world for each team. And at least from afar, there will be a fair amount of entertainment value when their thin-skinned fans have to deal with road games and fans from Iowa, Ohio State, Illinois, etc.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Love it 😂
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Great post TCITH. I think it is very revealing that after a closely fought game that could have gone either way they hit Pelle with the white supremist card and it wasn't that tweet that I originally reported,it was reported on their Basketball Boards. Not to paint all UCLA fan as fucking idiots many said no that is not what it meant.

UCLA has a hard time accepting that they can be beat when they are good. Well guess what....so are other people.

They are about to enter a league that despises the hollywood crowd and although I think they will have one of the better basketball teams in that league they have little understanding of what those fan bases can be like. I think Cronin knows because of his background in Cinn. but the cheese and wine fans will be surprised.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Yep. I grew up an Iowa fan, when Lute was coaching there.

They’ll bee looking forward to hosting the Hollywood teams.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:10 am JJJ named 2nd team All American.

https://apnews.com/article/all-america- ... e17e60036b
Well deserved and I would debate he could have easily been selected first team. He's such a likeable player and has a bright future. It was nice to see Tubelis get second team as well. Best of luck to all the Pac 12 teams.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

wyo-cat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm I’ve lived in Redneck country a long time.

Tucson ain’t it.
Parts of it aren't. More parts of it are. Just be honest.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:56 pm

Tucson ain’t it.
Parts of it aren't. More parts of it are. Just be honest.
More?

You may want to rethink that. Assuming rednecks are mostly white, Tucson is not mostly white.

Assuming rednecks vote for one party over the other, only 38.4% in Pima County voted for the other candidate for president.

Assuming rednecks are not educated, 28.9% of adults in Tucson have bachelor degrees or higher.

However, saying that, one of my Tucson nephews married a Las Vegas girl, and I asked her about how she liked Tucson after they moved there. She said it was a little too redneck for her. I just took that to mean a little more cowboy than Las Vegas.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:56 pm

Tucson ain’t it.
Parts of it aren't.
Oh heavens, that says so much. It's almost too nuanced and meaningful to grasp.
Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:56 pmMore parts of it are.
More? Parts of Tucson are more than Tucson? Even if that wasn't a simpleton's gibberish .... prove it, cupcake. Show us a demographic map. Make certain it's current and that you can master basic math. I'll wait.
Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:56 pmJust be honest.
I'm happy to: you're a dullard and a pissant whose every post purporting Wildcat fandom is a specious pretext to undermine and troll the very organization that forms the basis of this forum. If you had any dignity you'd fuck off and never come back.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Here’s a convo I heard at work in West Tenn from two older gentleman.

A-Did you remember the n@gger that worked for Charlie Brown?

B-Yeah.

A-He died.

B-That’s too bad. He was a good n@gger.

A-I know, I’m going to miss that n@gger.

Go ahead and tell me how Tucson, a 43% white minority town is redneck.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

When you buy a Honda Ridgeline you notice all the Honda Ridgelines in Tucson and it feels like suddenly there's more than ever. When you're a bigoted conservative you notice all the bigoted conservatives in Tucson and naturally it feels like there's just more of you than other people.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I suggest we apply the upper vs. lower board rule right about now.
Stupid tweet by UCLA fan which everyone disagrees with - acknowledged.

So back to basketball - will Bona be playing in game 1?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I definitely don't miss the Steve Alford experience
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:16 pm I definitely don't miss the Steve Alford experience
Bobby Hurley disagrees with you.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Can't complain about that performance by the Bruins. Nuwba looked all world, that's how bad UNC-Asheville was. Next game will be more of a challenge than this one was. JJJ had 17 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 steals.

Condolences on your loss. In my one bracket, I had you guys winning it all.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bona in the starting lineup
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA definitely in trouble right now. The seniors are getting played off the court right now
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Imodium Mick will prevail.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Campbell and Singleton are 1-12, 0-6 from 3
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Bug, have you noticed that time slows down in Mick's orbit. He's the Gargantua of college basketball, the Christopher Nolan of March Madness

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UCLA has the worst luck with injuries. Geez.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

That really is a shame. UCLA may win tonight but their chances of winning the tourney just took a big hit. That will be an injury that will make an impact. I doubt if Singleton will play again this season.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That could have been a broken leg. Oof. Walking it off is a good sign though, hoping just a bad tweak.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

You heard it from Mick, JJJ for year 5!
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:06 pm You heard it from Mick, JJJ for year 5!
That will be Jaime's decision not Mick's.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Catintheheat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:12 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:06 pm You heard it from Mick, JJJ for year 5!
Well yeah, Mick was hyping him up, standing next to him and all..lol
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:15 pm
See what I mean? Time slows down around Mick. We will all be 70 years old by the time JJJ leaves UCLA.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:29 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:15 pm
See what I mean? Time slows down around Mick. We will all be 70 years old by the time JJJ leaves UCLA.
And to think that someone like JJJ is still younger than Kerr Kriisa. But the Jaime train left the station already. They did a nice senior night moment and the family is setting up a scholarship in his honor. Tyger could come back for year 6 though!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Line opened at UCLA -1 and moved to -2.5. That kind of surprises me right now.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I am surprised also, how is singleton?
-Norlander.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mick said day to day but I really think the only player who won't play is Clark.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lot of whispers that Bona might not be cleared for the game tonight. Not sure I believe it. Hopefully it won't matter, but one less body will make it tough to stay with Timme at all.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Well, this is a fun game so far