UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:19 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:09 pm BeachCat's hate for all things UCLA really is something.
Oh I just gotta call out their fans for being trolls. This guy is basically the very definition of a troll and has been for years.

He also only comes out of his sewer when ucla is halfway decent, which is so on brand for bruin fans.

Anyway, eff ucla. Done with this thread now.
Hi RC97!
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 pm Miller was all sweetness and light. Rainbows and unicorns flew out of his ass on the sideline.
Only time I remember Miller saying anything about the officiating in a post-game press conference was the “He touched the ball” incident and then it later turned out the refs were promised a trip to Cancun if they gave him a bogus T, so…
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:26 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:36 pm Miller was all sweetness and light. Rainbows and unicorns flew out of his ass on the sideline.
Only time I remember Miller saying anything about the officiating in a post-game press conference was the “He touched the ball” incident and then it later turned out the refs were promised a trip to Cancun if they gave him a bogus T, so…
Miller had much much better presser presence than pouty Mick. He would smolder instead of pout. Bit I bet Sean's word count on the sidelines exceeded Mick's. Eventually the harangue led to the Ref's wanting payback.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:57 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:48 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:43 am I think the point Bug is not that Mic doesn’t commend his players, especially when softball questions such as “what has your best players over the last couple of years meant to your program?” are asked. It’s that the several whiny, being a dick, almost Bobby Knight-esque comments overshadow everything else he says.
Exactly this. If all he did after a game was laud his players and tip his cap to the other team he wouldn’t be known as a whiny douche with a napoleon complex.
But in the end, it means almost nothing except to work up message board posters for a few fleeting moments. His players love him. I'm assuming because they know praise in a press conference is hollow. I'd rather see passion than a milquetoast coach who offers up nothing of substance. The only people bothered by it are people who don't matter. He's never not given credit to the other team. The losses as re on him, I've posted quotes in this thread before. It's a rivalry. I get it. I love that he fires everyone up so much.
Yes things of substance like he pushed off and it wasn't called or the refs took away the dunk of the year. Please review and see where he complimented any Arizona player or coach. On second thought have him watch FAU coach after losing a heartbreaker to SDST. That is class. Cronin in not.

Yes players hate to hear praise when it is deserved in a press conference when they are scrapping for NIL money. I think Sean was right about him and why he was happy every time X kicked his ass at Cinn.. In one of his losses he singled out an X player for telling him to fuck off. Never in watching college basketball have I heard a opposing coach single out an opposing player and downgrade him on national tv. He is a POS.

Unlike most I think UCLA (basketball only) will do well in the league you are going to. It is time though to stop saying you care about players and their families because you can't manage a budget and live within it. It is clear to me based on results that SDST is currently a better team in basketball and will be a good fit.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gonna be weird not seeing JJJ out there on the court next season. Officially declared for the draft.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Google translate sucks for this article but this guy looks like he will make enough nil money to pay his payout
Last edited by 84Cat on Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It took him 15 minutes for Scheer to walk back that original claim from 800K to like 50K.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

MrBug708 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:59 am It took him 15 minutes for Scheer to walk back that original claim from 800K to like 50K.
If I read it right, the article says he will be making almost 600k euros from sponsorships
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There has been a mystery Euro alluded to for a bit, I'm guessing this is him. Not sure how that 600,000 Euro number comes over, but the opportunities in LA probably don't hurt, plus the P12 POTY being Spanish speaking, combined with Ivo, the Euro coach that we have, does seem nice for UCLA to land this guy. Probably won't (can't?) sign an NLI, so UCLA might be sweating this for quite some time. But I'm glad to see UCLA joining the fray for the NIL game.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

MrBug708 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:20 am There has been a mystery Euro alluded to for a bit, I'm guessing this is him. Not sure how that 600,000 Euro number comes over, but the opportunities in LA probably don't hurt, plus the P12 POTY being Spanish speaking, combined with Ivo, the Euro coach that we have, does seem nice for UCLA to land this guy. Probably won't (can't?) sign an NLI, so UCLA might be sweating this for quite some time. But I'm glad to see UCLA joining the fray for the NIL game.
Not a done deal but UCLA is leading for now according to this article
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Bona must be loving this.......lol.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He should be. I'd imagine they will play ten minutes together, ten each at center by themselves. Bona can defend fours, Mara will play the high post with his passing ability.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would be a great add for the Bruins! Loading up again
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:50 pm He should be. I'd imagine they will play ten minutes together, ten each at center by themselves. Bona can defend fours, Mara will play the high post with his passing ability.
Is he getting the same money????? Playing 2 bigs together might be a liability in some cases as we just found out. Bona will last about 5 minutes trying to defend a decent 4 before fouling out. Haven't seen this new 7'3'' inch guy play or move but we will see him somewhere in college next year.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:50 pm He should be. I'd imagine they will play ten minutes together, ten each at center by themselves. Bona can defend fours, Mara will play the high post with his passing ability.
This guy is 7'3' and average 3.4 rebounds and 5.7 points? You guys are paying like the NBA for this talent. He did have that 4 game stretch where he scored 2, 1, 2, 0. Not exactly Edey numbers. He is 100% from 3 on the year though 2-2.

For comparison Henri Veesar in the FIBA U18 European Challenge averaged 16.2 pts, 11.8 reb and 3.8 blocks and was the youngest player ever on the senior national team. To be fair Mara had decent FIBA numbers at 12.6 pts and 5 reb.

Just some perspective. These guys take a bit to get use to the American game.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

These are just random numbers you are throwing out like we are just supposed to avoid context. Aday was playing as a 17 year old in one of the best Euro leagues. His U-17 world Cup that he played in last year , he averaged 12.5 and 5 points. Spain lost in the finals to the US and he had 16 and 7 for Spain.

Literally the world just found out UCLA was recruiting the guy today. Scheer took it on the chin today, you don't need to act like an expert like you knew about him all along either.

It's not like he is being hyped up by UCLA, there are draft boards with him going from the mid teens to #1 overall. He could be a project, but Mick and Ivo will be able to work with him. Bona and Bailey made huge strides.

UCLA hasnt even gotten him on campus yet. A lot could change.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Random numbers like his season average? Or is it more random to say he did well in one game against the USA? I think all season he scored in double figures twice. What you should have mentioned is he had 5 blocks when he only averages 1. That shows me something.
No good draft board has him even listed. Yes I saw the one that had him #1 but it was laughable. I guess you didn't see where I had listed the FIBA numbers you reported or were you just jumping to his defense? I don't know anything about him except what I read (like you) as I already said so not sure where you get I'm acting like an expert. One of the things I read was he has a difficult time with running the court but so does Edey. I assume his rebounding being underwhelming is because he is undersized. lol.
My point was these guys take time to develop and I think he will be there for awhile so you can judge his development over time. Relax Bug......he will be all american under the midget and score 40 a game with 15 assists. Feel better?

He has a few good choices for college in the US including one that will probably show him how their center did and how they played against UCLA the last two years. LOL
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Yes, it's random (or disingenuous) to compare a U-18 tournament performance of Veesaar to the actual Euro League performance of Mara. Veesaar wasn't going to play for Real Madrid's first team so he came to the US. Mara joined the first team of Zaragoza as a 17 year old. As a 17 year old, he was playing against grown ass men. You wrote FIBA, like it was the same thing as what Veesaar did. Veesaar never made it to the level in Europe that Mara has.

Also, FIBA is a federation. The "FIBA" numbers you listed for Veesaar was from a U-18 tournament where he played other 17/18 year olds. The "FIBA" numbers you listed for Mara was from the LIGA ACB, which is one of the best Euro Leagues in the world. Mara was just promoted to as a 17 year old and was averaging 11 minutes per game. The numbers I listed for Mara separately was from a similar tournament to Veesaar, the U-17 tournament, in which Mara played. I will link those stats from that tournament.
https://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17/2 ... Mara-Gomez

Hopefully this helps you understand European Basketball a bit more.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I don't really care about Big 10 players...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

WOW bug I guess you will dominate college next year. Glad to see it. I hope you feel the same if he signs elsewhere. I get he will be the number one pick in the NBA and would be this year if he came out.

If you average 3.4 rebounds against anyone at 7'3'' you are under acheiving. But don't let reality or someone telling you he might take a while to develop invade your head space.

Now go tell the new conference guys about this great pickup and maybe they will try and get out of their league while they still have time.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I could argue that Veesaar is terrible for only averaging 1.5 rebounds per game this year but, unlike you, I possess the ability to understand how minutes played factored into these numbers. Mara's rebounding rate, for example, is higher than Ballo's rebounding rate per minute was. You know who else had a lower rebounding rate than Mara? Zu. Math is not that hard to understand, but you have to understand the numbers you are looking at. But I'm glad we are having this educational moment and I was here to help focus you in the right direction! I feel like we are learning about advanced stats, per 36/per 40, rebounding rates, Euro Basketball Leagues, the difference between U-18, U-17, and professional Euro leagues, that FIBA is an organization, et al. Happy to help!

The rest of the conversation you are having is just pure RC97 erotic fan fiction. Just because your statements are being corrected, doesn't mean I havent said he will develop into an AA, that I will change my opinion, none of that. I'm sure you believed it was cathartic "I told you so" when you typed it out.

Have you ever met Yoda on the UCLA board? I feel like you are his spirit animal.

Have a good day!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

You're right he will surpass both ZU and Ballo next year. Glad you got him and should help UCLA in their new environment if he doesn't go #1 next year. I don't know Euro basketball that well but I understand the players on their teams are not as good as elite American players but if Bona goes he will be a necessity. Good for the midget who has had a remarkable record putting pro's in the league.

Thanks for the education. I'm sure the teams in your new league will enjoy your posting as much. Everyone in the NCAA has a lower 3 pt % also. You should have pointed that out as well. Maybe you should question why if he is so good he can't get minutes on a Euro team.

No worries though Midget will round him into shape. He has the ability to take you as far as Edey did Purdue.

Back to my original point which you can't seem to comprehend. Euro may take a while to develop and adjust to the speed of the game. That is all I was saying.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Ucla being good helps U of A.

This guy may take a bit to adjust or he maybe good now. Either way ucla being good will help U of A
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

And of course BC has to rate negative
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you watch clips of him play he has room for development. He does have travelling down even though it is rarely called here he might be the one that brings it back. What he has on Henri is weight (not strength yet) which will help.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HEH
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Amari Bailey declared for the draft.

UCLA also landed the commitment of 5* French International guard, Ilane Fibleuil. He chose UCLA over the G-League.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:55 pm Amari Bailey declared for the draft.

UCLA also landed the commitment of 5* French International guard, Ilane Fibleuil. He chose UCLA over the G-League.
Where are you finding star ratings for international players? A lot of sites don't have them.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:14 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:55 pm Amari Bailey declared for the draft.

Where are you finding star ratings for international players? A lot of sites don't have them.
247 has him as a four star.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ilane-Fibleuil-46139121/
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He was expected to come in as a 5* because of the G-League interest, but ended up as a shockingly low rating. In the end, I dont think it matters much. If nobody else rates him, he won't hit the 247 composite ranking.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am beginning to wonder who is left for UCLA? They have lost what seems to be every major contributor from this past year? Big recruiting job by that staff
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Certainly putting to bed that "take" that UCLA doesn't play freshmen that was just really one kid who got drafted anyways.

I wonder if he stays or chases his NBA dreams
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He will stay because he won't get drafted early enough. I would expect a few players like that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bailey declared, Clark going to rehab professionally, rather than wait two more years, while Bona comes back. Which is a shame that all three probably saw their stocks drop because of injury.

Also pulled in Jan Vide to take over for Amari. Probably will be the main go-to guy offensively. Still waiting on Mara, the Spanish team doesn't want to let him go, but it was this year or next year with the draft. Supposedly one more euro out there, a forward. Probably expect to see 10 minutes of Bona/Mara on the court at the same time, with Mara playing offensive 4 and defensive 5 and switch it defensively because of Bona's incredible athleticism and Mara's passing ability.

It will probably take a bit to get things going with so many new pieces
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:48 pm Bailey declared, Clark going to rehab professionally, rather than wait two more years, while Bona comes back. Which is a shame that all three probably saw their stocks drop because of injury.

Also pulled in Jan Vide to take over for Amari. Probably will be the main go-to guy offensively. Still waiting on Mara, the Spanish team doesn't want to let him go, but it was this year or next year with the draft. Supposedly one more euro out there, a forward. Probably expect to see 10 minutes of Bona/Mara on the court at the same time, with Mara playing offensive 4 and defensive 5 and switch it defensively because of Bona's incredible athleticism and Mara's passing ability.

Jan looks really good. I didn't know Mara was still up in the air. At least Bona is back for you guys. It sucks this is the last year we play in conference.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:48 pm Bailey declared, Clark going to rehab professionally, rather than wait two more years, while Bona comes back. Which is a shame that all three probably saw their stocks drop because of injury.

Bona is quite athletic but he fouls a lot. Especially if you are taking him away from the basket to cover 4's. Surprised Clark did not come back because I don't think he will be drafted. Of course the guy UCLA lost last year who did not play a lot I didn't think would be drafted either.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

With the frontcourt depth, I think they are a bit more willing to let Bona play through the fouls now. I know the name is floating out there as to who the last Euro is that they are recruiting, but I havent personally seen who it is yet. The projections dont seem to think he's as ready to play as Mara, Vide, and Fibeuli is.

I think Clark didn't come back because he probably isnt ready to play until February and if the healing is slowed, that's another year he probably has to keep working on his athleticism, so it's a risk either way. Injuries probably derailed a long NBA career as it is. But I don't blame anyone for wanting to chase their dreams.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 pm With the frontcourt depth, I think they are a bit more willing to let Bona play through the fouls now. I know the name is floating out there as to who the last Euro is that they are recruiting, but I havent personally seen who it is yet. The projections dont seem to think he's as ready to play as Mara, Vide, and Fibeuli is.

I think Clark didn't come back because he probably isnt ready to play until February and if the healing is slowed, that's another year he probably has to keep working on his athleticism, so it's a risk either way. Injuries probably derailed a long NBA career as it is. But I don't blame anyone for wanting to chase their dreams.
Clark proved enough in college. He already got the operation so it's all rehab. Stinks for UCLA, but it's pointless for him to come back for only two or three months and go through the draft process next year when he could get drafted or sign a deal now.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

JJJ to the Heat! 18th overall.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think JJJ is going to an organization that will be patient and capitalize on his skills. On a more personal note glad to see he wore socks and didn't go all grady dick on us.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bailey goes 41st overall to Charlotte. His injury in HS robbed him of his elite athleticism, but he worked hard on the other parts of his game. He probably could have pushed his way into the first by coming back another year and continuing to work on his game, but can't blame anyone for chasing that dream.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Wildly successful night for UCLA and Mick Cronin as Jaylen Clark, nursing an injury for the next 8 months, gets drafted as well. Chase those dreams!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fun team to watch, hope they catch on.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

They are never right. I would be shocked if UCLA did not make the tournament.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Looks like right now the Mincey Trollops are on pace to score 50.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:01 pm Looks like right now the Mincey Trollops are on pace to score 50.
Like the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano, some things are eternal…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ever since Mick came to own Sean in the Pac-12 I have despised losing to the Mickster, but I dig the guy in his pressers. His evil elf/maniacal munchkin/sour sage persona is absolute gold. I think he is wise. But I want to pound his team into dust every fucking time. I want us to send him into cerebral apoplexy and to see him drill like a dervish into the hardcourt while Tommy casually leans against the scorers table like he's waiting for his craft beer to be drawn. And then I want to watch Mick's presser and revel in the articulate torment he renders while he grinds his 5 o'clock shadow. If only for Sean's sake, I deserve this.

~ Wilhoit's Law