Pac-12 Game Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Pac-12 Game Thread

Post by gumby »

Eagles should Hack a Rob (Upshaw). He's 1 for 8.
Right where I want to be.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

uw ekes out a win, taking the lead with 1:44 left to play. i also misread the TO stat for the 1st half (sorry). go pac.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So Dana O'neill forgets that UW is undefeated. Shocking that an ESPN'er forgot about a PAC team...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... src=mobile
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

I'm trying to figure out an approximation of where we think the PAC might end up so definitely add your thoughts...

Clear #1 Arizona (Top 5 rpi)
Clear #2 Utah (10-25 rpi)
Spots 3-5 UCLA, UW, Cal (25-40 rpi)

After that it starts looking pretty bad. Perhaps Stanford at 6, but the Furd hasn't looked very good. Colorado at 7ish? The more I look at the bottom half the worse it looks...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

uCla is going to take a bath in the next month or so. Their schedule is brutal, and I expect them to be a .500 team very soon.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Olsondogg wrote:So Dana O'neill forgets that UW is undefeated. Shocking that an ESPN'er forgot about a PAC team...

She also insinuated that RHJ was a junior (or senior) in the first section.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

She also forgot that Utah was in the PAC last week.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Olsondogg wrote:So Dana O'neill forgets that UW is undefeated. Shocking that an ESPN'er forgot about a PAC team...

Just one of the worst articles I have seen written.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So Gary Payton Jr just logged a triple double tonight... becoming the 2nd ever player at Oregon St to get a triple double.

The other player was Gary Payton.

Pretty cool.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Alieberman wrote:So Gary Payton Jr just logged a triple double tonight... becoming the 2nd ever player at Oregon St to get a triple double.

Pretty cool.
Was thinking Luke Walton was our last player to have one. Didnt he have one?

In the 2003–2004 season, Iguodala was named team MVP after leading his team in rebounds, assists and steals. He also made the All-Pac-10 First Team team and was named Honorable Mention All-America by The Associated Press. He collected three triple-doubles that season, joining Jason Kidd as the only two players in Pac-10 history to post two or more triple-doubles in a season.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Alieberman wrote:So Gary Payton Jr just logged a triple double tonight... becoming the 2nd ever player at Oregon St to get a triple double.

Pretty cool.
It would have been just a tad more impressive if the Beavers were not playing the very worst ranked team (#351) in all of college basketball.

Does anyone remember Payton Sr's last game in McKale - the one where he refused to go back into the game because his team was so far behind?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Lute4God wrote: Was thinking Luke Walton was our last player to have one. Didnt he have one?[
January 17, 2002. http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/95/82/02_2.html

He came close another time when his father was calling a game in McKale. I remember Bill commenting: "if young Walton gets two more turnovers he will have himself another triple double."
Last edited by KaibabKat on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That was from the brief but debilitating mess that was the Jim Anderson era, KaibabKat.

As strange as this sounds, imagine if Lute had been allowed to have a normal retirement and healthy transition, as Ralph Miller had when he handpicked Anderson to be his successor in Corvallis.

Would any of you still want KO or Dunlap in Tucson at this point, much less Pastner? (You first-year-Miller wussies know who you are there.)

It would have been only a matter of time before Jamelle Horne would've bucked KO as badly as Payton did Anderson. ntOSU still hasn't gotten its basketball hire right since.

I don't wish the crap the basketball program went through in '07-09 on anyone. But you can count on one hand the number of times that hand could pick a good successor among longtime assistant coaches (Tim Grgurich or Bill Guthridge, anyone?).
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote: As strange as this sounds, imagine if Lute had been allowed to have a normal retirement and healthy transition
I don't think he chooses KON or Dunlap in that scenario.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

84Cat wrote:
CATS account for 9 of those by far the most in the conference.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Who was the last Cat to have a Triple Double? Has anyone on Miller's team?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Andre Iguodala. No.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bosy Billups wrote:Who was the last Cat to have a Triple Double? Has anyone on Miller's team?
No Miller players yet. Nick put up 20, 10 & 6 against Rhode Island in Nov 2013

Iggy was the last to have one. 14, 11 & 10 in 2004 against UCLA. Salim had 34 that game

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sto ... 04abr.html

PAC12 wise - Bachynski had one in 2012(12 blocks) and the last time before that was Hackett at USC in 2007

Chase had 19, 11 & 7 against WSU in 2009

Jordan Hill had 32 double doubles over 3 years but never had more than 4 assists
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

84Cat wrote:
And probably the last.

Hilarious tweet, like it says anything about Wayne Tinkle's coaching ability that one of his players had a triple-double.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

catgrad97 wrote:Hilarious tweet, like it says anything about Wayne Tinkle's coaching ability that one of his players had a triple-double.
It sums up the way the announcers were calling the game last night. They were saying things like only great teams would get such a big lead against this type of team (It was 41-9 at half), how the Beavers were playing so well considering all they lost, the amazing defensive job Tinkle has done so far, and my favorite, how shocking it is that the team was 6-2 with a win against Mississippi St. "No, not Mississippi Valley everyone, Mississippi St.!" Yeah, that was a real quote.

It really shows just how awful Robinson was that being an average Pac team is some amazing accomplishment for a first year coach.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:
84Cat wrote:
CATS account for 9 of those by far the most in the conference.

Why does Matt get an asterisk?

- Matt Muehlebach, 11-26-90 vs. USC: 10 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Maybe it was in overtime?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

He wasn't wearing a shirt.
Right where I want to be.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote: As strange as this sounds, imagine if Lute had been allowed to have a normal retirement and healthy transition
I don't think he chooses KON or Dunlap in that scenario.

Sean Miller is also probably not the coach.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Exactly, 101.

And don't be so quick to dismiss KON in retrospect. Lute wanted him to take over initially.

In 2007, when I lived in Tucson and would drive by McKale, I would see him--and even players like Budinger helping him--moving his stuff into the coaches' office straight from his car parked in the old metered spaces out front.

Thank God that Lute is still with us, but without all the turmoil his health concerns triggered, I doubt anyone would have been as happy with the outcome.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The messy transition helped a lot to make the job more attractive.

There wasn't a feeling of following the shadow of the great Lute Olson.

Unlike UCLA, where you're replacing a guy who was fired after making 3 FINAL FOURS just a few years ago. Nuts!

Someone could come in and completely re-make the program in their own mold.

Plus, reaching out and bringing back past Arizona players was one of the smartest moves Miller made.

Adding a gym from his own $ is up there too.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Stanford not looking to impressive so far.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

KaibabKat wrote:

Pretty cool.
It would have been just a tad more impressive if the Beavers were not playing the very worst ranked team (#351) in all of college basketball.

OSU is looking like a solid team right now. They totally destroyed DePaul by 31 last night, the same team that beat Stanford. They may be undersized vs the Wildcats (their zone may help a little) but they may be fighting to end up in the top 1/2 of the league. No one would have expected this in the preseason. They are playing good team ball on both ends of the court. You have to give the coach some credit.

We make the Oregon trip this year and play OSU on Sunday, Jan 11th. So no trap game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

unlv getting their third helping of the pac-12 with 'tah tonight. my dream is for unlv to whiff against all four pac teams, then beat ku in lawrence after the holidays. :D
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Lute4God wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:

Pretty cool.

OSU is looking like a solid team right now. They totally destroyed DePaul by 31 last night, the same team that beat Stanford. They may be undersized vs the Wildcats (their zone may help a little) but they may be fighting to end up in the top 1/2 of the league. No one would have expected this in the preseason. They are playing good team ball on both ends of the court. You have to give the coach some credit.

We make the Oregon trip this year and play OSU on Sunday, Jan 11th. So no trap game.
The Golve Jr. is a real player! kid has crazy bounce!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dirtbags wrote:unlv getting their third helping of the pac-12 with 'tah tonight. my dream is for unlv to whiff against all four pac teams, then beat ku in lawrence after the holidays. :D
Did you see that scene in Scanners? That would be enfuego's head if that happened.
-JB
az91

Post by az91 »

UW gets a big win over the Sooners. Did anyone think they would be this good?
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

I can't believe nobody is having a hearty guffaw about ASU losing to Lehigh today. But I guess facing ASU was easy after a tough loss by 15 to Quinnipiac.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

waysouthcat wrote:I can't believe nobody is having a hearty guffaw about ASU losing to Lehigh today. But I guess facing ASU was easy after a tough loss by 15 to Quinnipiac.
"ASU" and "losing" go together like peas and carrots. What's there to laugh at when the result just means that everything is right with the universe?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

waysouthcat wrote:I can't believe nobody is having a hearty guffaw about ASU losing to Lehigh today. But I guess facing ASU was easy after a tough loss by 15 to Quinnipiac.
Both domains were up and working when it happened, some of the posts laughing at ASU were over at the other site. I wasn't sure where to post.

Lehigh? Nice job on that extension ASU! :lol:
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Katzenfreund wrote:Fun fact: Lehigh ended a 14-game Tempe Normal home winning streak. Before the game, Pac-12 Networks showed a chart with some of the league's longest active streaks and it was disgusting to see ASU placed somewhere near our program. At least that's gone now.

Two more weeks. I want ASU to receive an ass whooping of epic proportions at McKale. Now that Herb's job is secured for at least a few more years, until he receives his next extension, there's no need to be considerate towards his future with the scum.
It would be magical if we just crushed them by 40 points or something.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Maybe now the Pac 12 Network will stop going on about what an amazing season they're having.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Pac-12 is hot garbage.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Cripes
az91

Post by az91 »

Chicat wrote:The Pac-12 is hot garbage.
Did you forget that Utah and UW are both highly ranked? USC won today on the road at Boston College. The PAC-12 is far from garbage.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:
Did you forget that Utah and UW are both highly ranked? USC won today on the road at Boston College. The PAC-12 is far from garbage.
One elite team, two good ones, and the rest is absolute garbage. Utah and UW better hope they don't lose to one of our 200+ RPI teams otherwise they might be looking at an 8 seed or worse.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
az91 wrote:
One elite team, two good ones, and the rest is absolute garbage. Utah and UW better hope they don't lose to one of our 200+ RPI teams otherwise they might be looking at an 8 seed or worse.
I agree with az91: getting wins vs. Utah and UW won't be easy this season. Cal, too, perhaps. AZ has looked good so far, but we're not exactly steamrolling the competition.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
az91 wrote:
I agree with az91: getting wins vs. Utah and UW won't be easy this season. Cal, too, perhaps. AZ has looked good so far, but we're not exactly steamrolling the competition.
You made a post and didn't mention UCLA. Are you feeling ok?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Utah and uw look like tournament teams, and Colorado, cal, Stanford and ucla could all get in, but as of now I only see the Pac 12 with like 4 bids and Arizona being the only team higher than a like 6 seed

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Utah and uw look like tournament teams, and Colorado, cal, Stanford and ucla could all get in, but as of now I only see the Pac 12 with like 4 bids and Arizona being the only team higher than a like 6 seed
If the Pac is as bad as you guys are saying it is, we should only lose like 2 or 3 games in league, right?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It was better last year and we only lost 3, 2 1/2 without Ashley. I hope we don't lose more than 3. We never go undefeated but I can see 16-2.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:It was better last year and we only lost 3, 2 1/2 without Ashley. I hope we don't lose more than 3. We never go undefeated but I can see 16-2.
I'd be thrilled with 16-2.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Maybe now the Pac 12 Network will stop going on about what an amazing season they're having.
What's really sad is that ASU lost at home to a team who just got smoked by Quinnipiac.