Larry Scott

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Salty

Re: Larry Scott

Post by Salty »

Merkin wrote:Besides 5 of the top 15 metro areas int the US just in the PAC footprint, along with number 1 metro area in the US without a pro football team. Ignoring local Directv viewers when they have all the cards is just arrogant.
Population isn't important.

What is important is how many people in those cities actually watch the product.

That's why Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, Baton Rouge, etc are more valuable than Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, etc in college football.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

lol that's a pretty awesome post right there.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Chicat wrote:If this wasn't coming from the resident Board Contrarian, I'd take this post more seriously.

- His job was to create a relationship with the most major players, and ESPN is of course the biggest.
- He did not "perform a miracle". Can you find any evidence that he somehow got something vastly more than what everyone expected?
- It's realistic to have the Pac-12 be a nationwide brand. Sorry I don't share your view that a conference that goes from the Mexican border to the Canadian border and is the only major brand in two entire time zones isn't on the same level as others. Like I said, loser talk.
He did create more of a relationship with ESPN. But relationship can only go so far when Scott has little leverage to work with.

Does anyone else remember the leadership of Hansen? Scott has brought more exposure and income to this conference than anyone before him. Is that just a coincidence?

The PAC-12 covers a large geographic area and has a large population of viewers. However, not every person is interested in PAC-12 sports. The Big Ten and SEC both have a lot more fans viewing their product, and that's why they can leverage for more money. It also doesn't help that half of the football games start after 10 PM on the east coast.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:lol that's a pretty awesome post right there.
Well, SD86, go ahead and provide evidence, or any type of argument, supporting your point of view.

Or go away, because you're adding less than nothing to this debate.

The only thing that truly matters here in viewership. The PAC-12 cannot compete with the number of people watching SEC and Big Ten football.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

if you're literally comparing the viewership in a city like Tuscaloosa with 95,000 people to Denver which is a metro area of 2.6 million...well you're dumber than I thought.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Last edited by azgreg on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

If this wasn't coming from the resident Board Contrarian, I'd take this post more seriously.

- His job was to create a relationship with the most major players, and ESPN is of course the biggest.
- He did not "perform a miracle". Can you find any evidence that he somehow got something vastly more than what everyone expected?
- It's realistic to have the Pac-12 be a nationwide brand. Sorry I don't share your view that a conference that goes from the Mexican border to the Canadian border and is the only major brand in two entire time zones isn't on the same level as others. Like I said, loser talk.
Must spread re....uhhh...hmm...
+1
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Effective this Friday I'm switching to Dish and I will have it all!!!

Kinda digging the SEC Network by the way. Funny commercials.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:Besides 5 of the top 15 metro areas int the US just in the PAC footprint, along with number 1 metro area in the US without a pro football team. Ignoring local Directv viewers when they have all the cards is just arrogant.
According to both The Desert Sun and the LA Times, DirecTV has 1.2m subscribers in LA and reaches about 25% of the market in Coachella Valley (CA geography experts want to jump in?).

That's a lot of lost opportunity for P12, and that's also >5% of DirecTV's entire subscriber base.
Salty

Post by Salty »

azgreg wrote:6 of the top 20 television markets are in the west.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/0 ... 13/146976/
College football TV markets.

Not overall markets.

College football.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/08/29 ... -football/
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Funny that you posted a link that lists ESPN's top markets. Why do you suppose it includes SEC country predominantly?
prh

Post by prh »

Salty wrote:
azgreg wrote:6 of the top 20 television markets are in the west.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/0 ... 13/146976/
College football TV markets.

Not overall markets.

College football.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2012/08/29 ... -football/
Here's the original ESPN press release.

Birmingham had a 5.9 and LA had a 1.4. But LA has nearly 20x more population than Birmingham, so there are still more viewers in LA. I'd be interested in translating that list to have market size instead of share.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

i might be wrong, but i think Dish has recently moved the PAC12 network into the realm of channels you don't have to pay extra for. I had removed the sports package that contained the network after hoops season, and i just noticed i had the network back this morning.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Also the Lakers channel is only on Directv, same with NFL Sunday Ticket. Believe Dish also doesn't carry the Dodgers channel.

So if you are in the LA area, and care about pro sports at all, are you really going to drop Directv for Dish?

I don't care about pro sports at all, so I didn't have any problems switching to Dish. I would think the vast majority of sports fans like to watch pro sports.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

whatisee wrote:i might be wrong, but i think Dish has recently moved the PAC12 network into the realm of channels you don't have to pay extra for. I had removed the sports package that contained the network after hoops season, and i just noticed i had the network back this morning.
I committed to Dish last week. At that time the Pac-12 Network was part of the Multi-Sport Pack which I get for free until the end of the year. Otherwise, it's $11/month. Still showing that way on Dish's site.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have America's Top 200 with Dish and the PAC-12 network is part of that. No sports pack.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

maybe it depends on where you live?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:I have America's Top 200 with Dish and the PAC-12 network is part of that. No sports pack.
scumdevils86 wrote:maybe it depends on where you live?
Pac-12 foot print maybe? Boise as opposed to Cali.
Saint James

Post by Saint James »

ASUHATER! wrote:and no one cares about baseball anymore to pay that kind of money for a network just about the dodgers. should be no more than like 60 cents.
They would have to pay me to watch baseball (Unless it the Cats in post season).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Same here now. It's kinda sad in a way. Until I was about 16 the only sport I really paid attention to was the mlb. I went to probably 5 diamondback games a year and watched another 30 and listened on the radio. Over a decade later and I just don't care anymore. When I'm driving around and I switch the radio to espn radio and a baseball game is on...I change the channel. I haven't watched a post season baseball game in probably 5 years. Haven't watched a single diamondbacks game this year. But I'll eagerly tune in to watch a Toledo/Akron football game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thanks a lot Larry.

http://tucson.com/business/local/kold-k ... 7dac4.html

Tucson TV station KOLD-Channel 13 is one of 53 stations in 18 states that have been knocked off DirecTV amid a contract dispute with the satellite carrier.

Raycom Media, which owns the local CBS broadcast affiliate and the other stations, said it has been unable to reach agreement on a contract with DirecTV despite three months of negotiations.

“This is frustrating for DirecTV customers who rely on Raycom stations for information and entertainment. We share their frustration and are committed to doing everything we can to resolve this issue and have been for the last 12 weeks of discussions,” Raycom Media President and CEO Paul McTear said in a prepared statement.

KOLD General Manager Debbie Bush said the company is still negotiating and hopes to resolve the matter.

DirecTV spokesman Thomas Tyrer blamed Raycom for denying viewers access to KOLD while demanding much higher fees.

“Raycom Media is denying DirecTV viewers access to KOLD unless they pay more than double just to receive the same CBS shows that remain available over the air for free,” Tyrer said in an email. “We appreciate their patience because it will have a direct impact on their bill.”

KOLD is referring viewers to DirecTV to complain.

Raycom, based in Montgomery, Ala., has a history of tough negotiations with cable and satellite providers that have led to periodic station blackouts.

In 2011, Raycom threatened to remove its station from DirectTV over a fee dispute.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Larry runs CBS too? Does he have an alibi for Auschwitz? What a jerk!

BURN HIM!!!!
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

IIRC P12N reaches 48M homes compared to the 52M homes the B1G Network reaches. I could be wrong, and that's OK, but I bet 100% of what 48M homes paying for P12N is greater than 51% of 52M homes pay for B1G Network.

As for availibility; I get P12N-HD for free with the basic package. Getting SEC or B1G Network would add an additional 28% to my monthly bill. So I felt for all Pac12-ers living out East when I wanted to watch Utah State get a "prison howdy" from Tennessee, but it's not like the SEC Network is foist upon us out West.

If you live outside the footprint, you're gonna have to make some sacrifices to not miss a game.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Crazy, checked this morning and I have the pac12 network on dish in Carolina. Have the basic package, cut back after bb season.

I hope this isn't a tease.
catgrad97

Fines Pat Haden $25,000.

Post by catgrad97 »

Ice Miller finds this interesting.

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/09/08/us ... 25000-fine
USC AD and Football Coach Reprimanded, Haden Levied with $25,000 fine
By Pac-12 Conference
Sep 8, 2014

SAN FRANCISCO – The Pac-12 Conference has reprimanded and fined USC Athletics Director Pat Haden, and reprimanded head football coach Steve Sarkisian for their inappropriate sideline conduct during USC’s game at Stanford on Saturday, September 6, Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott announced today.

During the third quarter of Saturday’s game, Sarkisian argued with Pac-12 officials during a lengthy and inappropriate exchange about a sideline encroachment penalty. Additionally, Sarkisian asked Haden to join him on the sidelines and to act as an intermediary in dealing with Pac-12 officials. Sarkisian’s actions and contact of Haden instigated further confrontation with Pac-12 game officials.

Upon arrival on the sidelines, Haden confronted game officials regarding the management of the game. In addition, Haden conducted a television interview on the sidelines during the game with comments relative to the Pac-12’s officiating of the game.

“The conduct by USC Athletics Director Pat Haden was inappropriate," said Scott. "Such actions by an administrator in attempt to influence the officiating, and ultimately the outcome of a contest, will not be tolerated.”

“The conduct by both Sarkisian and Haden were in clear violation of our Conference’s Standards of Conduct policy,” added Scott. “We appreciate the public apology and recognition of the errors in judgment, as well as Pat Haden’s self-imposed 2-game sideline ban. We took this into consideration as we determined the discipline. Nonetheless, the actions fell short of our expectation of our head coaches and athletics directors as role models for our student-athletes and important leaders of our institutions."
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

An undiscussed variable in the Direct TV potential for Pac-12 coverage: AT&T will likely close on its deal to purchase Direct TV by the end of the year. The proposition is in the Justice Department for approval.

Will the acquisition be approved? I believe yes---80%. If it's approved will AT&T get together with Scott? I don't know, but I'll take a guess it's at least 50/50 because AT&T is very aggressive and a major market(Cal.) will push very hard.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Directv is very profitable without the Pac-12 network and that's what AT&T is going to look at. Especially if Directv locks up the NFL again which I don't know is likely or not since I don't follow it.

In the SoCal area Directv carries the Lakers and Dodgers channels exclusively, and I think the Kings too. That's a lot of money going to pro sports teams.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Are you mixing up TWC with DTV?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

So I finally switch to Dish to get the Pac 12 after 9 years with DTV. Just moved (still moving). Couldn't be more excited to have the 60" set up in the new mancave and a late kick at 9 MDT. Worked my ass off all day, honey-dos over. Cold beers, snacks, me time.

And then that stupid WSU - PSU blow out runs late. No worries I think, there are 8 alternate Pac 12 channels on Dish. Surely they'll throw the game up on one of those. Well, you know what they put on all those alternate channels? The Dish logo and some shitty jazz muzak. What is the motherfucking point?!

Then the crawl on the main channel says you can watch on the Pac 12 Mountain, Arizona, San Francisco and LA channels. Cool. Where are those? The Dish guide doesn't identify them that way. Call Dish. "We don't identify them that way." "I can see that. Where's my game? I have all the Pac 12 Network right, I pay for the multi-sport pac right?" "Yes, you do. Your game starts at 9:05!" "Yeah, I know! What fucking channel?" "The Pac 12 Network!" I'm insane at this point.

Since the Dish guy had no clue, I can only assume that the Pac 12 Mountain, Arizona, San Francisco and LA channels are unique and available only within the Pac 12 footprint? They don't appear to be available in Boise. Is there a Pac 12 Pacific NW for the Oregon and Washington schools? Being in Boise, they assume you're a Cougar fan so you get to stay with the WSU - PSU blowout because obviously that's the game you want to see. Just a total screw job. Regionally speaking, outside of Boise State, Boise has smatterings of fans/people from all around the Intermountain Northwest (that's what we call it around here) with Pac 12 ties - Utah, Oregon, Oregon State, UW, WSU. Hell, there's probably enough Nevada interest up here, from the BSU Mountain West rival and/or people from Reno standpoint, to throw the game over to the Arizona - Nevada game, especially in light of the blowout between WSU - PSU. Or, simply, nobody really gives a shit because it's fucking bedtime now anyway so who's going to watch Arizona - Nevada? I should, at least, have the Pac 12 Mountain available. You know, because I have all of the SEC, Big 10, LHN and 86 bazillion Fox, Root, CBS and other regional alternate channels spanning the entire fucking continent, but I can't get a Pac 12 game on the Pac 12 Network when I have the Pac 12 Network and live regionally within the realm and influence of the Pac 12 - you know, out West. Total horseshit.

And don't tell me it was available on Pac 12.com. Bullshit. 1) I have a brand new badass 60" HD tv that I want to watch the game on; 2) I don't have internet at the new digs yet; 3) See #1. I don't want to watch my game on my computer or other device - I don't want to download an app, login, figure out what my password is or configure anything; and 4) I pay for the Pac 12 Network and you have 8 fucking alternate channels. Turn the damn game on!

What the fuck is the point of having 8 alternate channels playing bad jazz? Seriously. This is a matter of flipping a switch, correct? Put the other Pac 12 game on one of your extra channels for whomever may be out there wanting to watch. What damn difference does it make. Total fucking fail.

So basically, I have a frothing ranting and raving fit about this scenario. The disinterested friendly Canadian GF thinks I'm a lunatic, but she tries. I miss the 1st quarter. When they put the game on there's a little over a minute left and it's 7-3. To the crew's credit, they did a quick recap and in reality I didn't miss much. Except for the entire 1st quarter! I'm completely rattled, my vibe is harsh and it takes me the entire 2nd quarter to settle in and relax; the game's half over before pulse settles. I feel like my vibe is affecting the game and everything in the universe is out of sorts. All's well that ends well I suppose, but I sure didn't have a relaxing enjoyable night of watching the Cats. I was stressed out the whole time.

The Pac 12 Network is a fucking fiasco.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

And don't tell me it was available on Pac 12.com. Bullshit. 1) I have a brand new badass 60" HD tv that I want to watch the game on

I can't get ANY game in HD, so when I started watching in hi-def on my tablet I decided to keep it there. Picture was so much better than what I get on my big ass television.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:And don't tell me it was available on Pac 12.com. Bullshit. 1) I have a brand new badass 60" HD tv that I want to watch the game on

I can't get ANY game in HD, so when I started watching in hi-def on my tablet I decided to keep it there. Picture was so much better than what I get on my big ass television.

Have you tried Chromecast? I do believe it does broadcast in HD from your tablet.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:And don't tell me it was available on Pac 12.com. Bullshit. 1) I have a brand new badass 60" HD tv that I want to watch the game on

On the Pac 12 Network? I noticed that some of those alternate channels are labeled HD and some not. Not that it matters for jazz muzak purposes. So you're saying that when you do get a game, it's in SD? I'll keep that in mind and figure out what I need to do to be logged on and streaming. I'll hook the laptop up to the tv. Thanks for the heads up.

Still a total fail fiasco.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can we get back to calling Larry Scott an asshole?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:

Have you tried Chromecast? I do believe it does broadcast in HD from your tablet.
Oh, good call Merk. I have a Chromecast and can use my phone or laptop. Still need the internet hooked up at the new place (next week unless there's a prior cancellation). Still, I don't get the point of all the alternate channels. And why is anything in standard definition these days. Gimme a break.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:Can we get back to calling Larry Scott an asshole?
Larry Scott's an asshole. Total fail.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Even the alternate channels weren't working on the P12 Now app.

Basically, if I filtered by the P12AZ channel and selected Arizona vs. Nevada (or simply selected Arizona vs. Nevada from the home screen) I got the WSU feed.

If I filtered by school and then selected it, I got our feed. All 3 cases looked identical (picture of Anu getting ready to throw a pass) but only when I navigated to that screen a certain way did I get the right result.

(Once I got it on the iPad I threw it to Apple TV using Airplay and it worked fine.)

Larry is an asshole:
1) Why the HELL would you not cut away from a blowout that even the WSU fans probably didn't want to watch
2) Why would your digital option be such a clusterfuck?
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

BearDown89 wrote: So basically, I have a frothing ranting and raving fit about this scenario. The disinterested friendly Canadian GF thinks I'm a lunatic, but she tries. I miss the 1st quarter. When they put the game on there's a little over a minute left and it's 7-3. To the crew's credit, they did a quick recap and in reality I didn't miss much. Except for the entire 1st quarter! I'm completely rattled, my vibe is harsh and it takes me the entire 2nd quarter to settle in and relax; the game's half over before pulse settles. I feel like my vibe is affecting the game and everything in the universe is out of sorts. All's well that ends well I suppose, but I sure didn't have a relaxing enjoyable night of watching the Cats. I was stressed out the whole time.

The Pac 12 Network is a fucking fiasco.
^bolded was totally me at that time. That's where your Nuck GF needs to step up to the plate to, um, calm you down. ;-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:

On the Pac 12 Network? I noticed that some of those alternate channels are labeled HD and some not. Not that it matters for jazz muzak purposes. So you're saying that when you do get a game, it's in SD? I'll keep that in mind and figure out what I need to do to be logged on and streaming. I'll hook the laptop up to the tv. Thanks for the heads up.

Still a total fail fiasco.
I live in a place where Larry Scott doesn't think there are any fans/alums so he didn't push for his cable partners to broadcast Pac-12 Network outside of the Pac-12 footprint. I mean, who wants to get new fans in different places or keep out of state fans interested?? :roll:

After a letter writing campaign and many people calling Comcast to tell them if they didn't offer Pac12 Network in the Chicago area, they were going over to Dish, Comcast relented and brought on the Pac12 Network . . . but only in SD. And only one channel. So if WSU vs. PoopButt U has a weather delay that makes the game run 3 hours long, guess who doesn't get to watch his Wildcats? This guy! And when I do get to watch the Cats, it's a blur of light jerseys and dark jerseys on a greenish field. Oh, and you thought the uniform numbers were unreadable in HD? I swear I thought I saw someone on our special teams unit wearing the number "%?" I thought it was a mathematical fucking equation...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I still don;t understand the concept of the alternate channels on Dish. There was nothing playing on those as I attempted to get the game.

Like Thrillhouse when I sownloaded the PACNOW app I saw the picture of Anu and brought that up only to see the Wazzu game. It wasn't until someone suggested going into the settings and changing it to PAC12AZ (or whatever it is) that i got the game on my tablet.

It is just much easier to stay with Larry Scott is a cheating, sleazy, gamefixing POS. The sooner he is gone the better. Forgot corrupt
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Ziggiles

Post by Ziggiles »

Not getting the Pac-12 network on Dish Network is just plain dumb. When the AT&T merger goes through I believe that a deal will be hammered out rather quickly as AT&T is a huge corporate sponsor or the Pac-12. The Pac-12 may be hedging their bets a little bit but so be it.

Things to do in order to use the entire Pac-12 network to your advantage.

1) If you have an IPad or similar product, download the app. It's very easy to use and as long as you're already paying for the Pac-12 network via your cable/satellite/tv-provider you can access the entire network. You just need to login using your cable provider. Basically it is HBOGO (this is important later folks)

2) Access the Pac-12 network via your computer/laptop. Again, super easy, super simple, just like HBOGO.

3) The Pac-12 App works with apple TV and its usually presented in crystal clear HD. Streaming can be a little tricky at times but it works well for the most part.

4) ISSUEEEEE!!! ~~~ The app is not chromecast compatible and that just plain dumb. ESPN has perfected the chomecast/ESPN3 App, and the Pac-12 should follow their lead in this area.

5) So you don't have access to the Pac-12 Network because you live back east. Three options.

A) Switch to a provider who carries the channel.

B) "Borrow" a friends login like you would when you are using HBOGO login to watch games of thrones.

C) Watch an illegal stream.

6) As someone who went to Arizona in the early 2000's, IMO, Larry Scott is VASTLY superior to anything that was happening before. It can be said that most of what he has done is a no-brainer but honestly it wasn't done before.

The conference is richer, deeper and more competitive then its ever been.

Moreover, as we all known, Football is King, but for a conference, where the majority of the teams, including Arizona has relatively little football tradition (i.e. winning National Titles and/or playing for national titles) before the mid 80's (only two teams since 1936 have won a NC other than USC in the Pac-8/10/12), I think the strides have been amazing.

You gotta look at this from a bigger picture.

Fans support winning above all else (please look no further than the pre-Lute era). This conference is still in it's relative infancy compared to BIG 10, BIG 12, and the SEC and will only get better.

So basically, chill the f-out or figure out a way to watch the Pac-12 Network.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Ziggiles wrote:Not getting the Pac-12 network on Dish Network is just plain dumb. When the AT&T merger goes through I believe that a deal will be hammered out rather quickly as AT&T is a huge corporate sponsor or the Pac-12. The Pac-12 may be hedging their bets a little bit but so be it.

Things to do in order to use the entire Pac-12 network to your advantage.

1) If you have an IPad or similar product, download the app. It's very easy to use and as long as you're already paying for the Pac-12 network via your cable/satellite/tv-provider you can access the entire network. You just need to login using your cable provider. Basically it is HBOGO (this is important later folks)

2) Access the Pac-12 network via your computer/laptop. Again, super easy, super simple, just like HBOGO.

3) The Pac-12 App works with apple TV and its usually presented in crystal clear HD. Streaming can be a little tricky at times but it works well for the most part.

4) ISSUEEEEE!!! ~~~ The app is not chromecast compatible and that just plain dumb. ESPN has perfected the chomecast/ESPN3 App, and the Pac-12 should follow their lead in this area.

5) So you don't have access to the Pac-12 Network because you live back east. Three options.

A) Switch to a provider who carries the channel.

B) "Borrow" a friends login like you would when you are using HBOGO login to watch games of thrones.

C) Watch an illegal stream.

6) As someone who went to Arizona in the early 2000's, IMO, Larry Scott is VASTLY superior to anything that was happening before. It can be said that most of what he has done is a no-brainer but honestly it wasn't done before.

The conference is richer, deeper and more competitive then its ever been.

Moreover, as we all known, Football is King, but for a conference, where the majority of the teams, including Arizona has relatively little football tradition (i.e. winning National Titles and/or playing for national titles) before the mid 80's (only two teams since 1936 have won a NC other than USC in the Pac-8/10/12), I think the strides have been amazing.

You gotta look at this from a bigger picture.

Fans support winning above all else (please look no further than the pre-Lute era). This conference is still in it's relative infancy compared to BIG 10, BIG 12, and the SEC and will only get better.

So basically, chill the f-out or figure out a way to watch the Pac-12 Network.
Good post. I was just laughing at all these dudes who couldn't find the game. The pac12 app works like a charm streaming to my appletv from my ipad. It was so intuitive to flip to the az channel. ...and I don't even have dish.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Has anyone found a decent way to watch with chromecast or even a roku? I tried on my laptop with chromecast but it wasn't very good. I always end up on my ipad. Maybe I need to pick up an apple tv even though I wouldn't use it much.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

84Cat wrote:Has anyone found a decent way to watch with chromecast or even a roku? I tried on my laptop with chromecast but it wasn't very good. I always end up on my ipad. Maybe I need to pick up an apple tv even though I wouldn't use it much.
You might be surprised. For example, if you ever do PPV through cable, Apple TV & iTunes becomes a very nice alternative.

I have a Chromecast as well and the apps that support it (Netflix, etc.) seem to work great, but my experience "casting" from the browser kinda sucks (sounds like that's been your experience as well).

Why ASSHOLE LARRY SCOTT doesn't have Chromecast support in the app as well as a dedicated Apple TV channel like the fucking ACC does is beyond me given our supposed access to high-tech silicon valley muckety-mucks.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Anyone know a way to watch P12 network thru an Xbox360 w/ Xbox Live? (I have a login from relatives in AZ)
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, I'm not quite on the "Just download the app and learn how to stream the game through your computer" bandwagon just yet.

Larry Scott said a lot of things about national coverage when he got into the job four years ago, or however long it's been. Now maybe the presidents are discouraging him from being more proactive with the national cable providers because they want to preserve the gameday experience, but I digress.

Points are:

1) The P12N has six alternate feeds. Use them or don't make consumers pay for them. What else would they be used for if not starting other games? ESPN has this figured out--and all I had to do was switch to ESPNEWS for the start of every basketball game last season on the network.

And I HATE giving credit to Bristol, as some of you guys know. :)

2) I live squarely within the P12 footprint in north central Arizona. Does anybody in Walnut Creek have a clue about changing to the start of another game IN MY UNIVERSITY'S HOME STATE during a blowout?

I mean, even the old Prescott station (KUSK) that picked up KGUN's feeds could do that.

I had never seen this even with P12N last year for basketball. CBS still pulls it from time to time, but to have to sit through Wazzu-Portland State to get to the Arizona game was frankly about as bad as what FoxSportsArizona used to pull with women's basketball.

To not pre-empt another game for Arizona football or basketball within Arizona's home state is categorically moronic, and borderline offensive to expect paying subscribers to have to do more to change that.
Ziggiles

Post by Ziggiles »

catgrad97 wrote:Yeah, I'm not quite on the "Just download the app and learn how to stream the game through your computer" bandwagon just yet.
To me this above quote is where the fans are failing themselves. There is an alternative that works very well for the most part. Just login to the Pac-12 Network and you don't have to miss anything. I don't understand the big issue? Is it just more fun to complain?

Instead of solving the problem (not as though there is much of one) and using a product to it's full capabilities which you've already paid for, you are willingly missing the game because you don't want to use the product? Huh? Whose fault is this? You have the answer and if you're reading from this screen then hit the link..

As for Xbox/Ps3 or any other apps they don't have them. Certainly would be great if they developed chromecast but the Apple TV option works really well.

Here is my final comment for this post, If you are on this message board than you are a Wildcat and in that case Bear Down and figure out a solution.

http://pac-12.com/networks

http://pac-12.com/content/pac-12-now-apps
Machina

Post by Machina »

One things I am happy with the conference about, not sure Scott deserves the credit or not, is that they are announcing the PAC-12 football schedule tonight.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Ziggiles wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Yeah, I'm not quite on the "Just download the app and learn how to stream the game through your computer" bandwagon just yet.
To me this above quote is where the fans are failing themselves. There is an alternative that works very well for the most part. Just login to the Pac-12 Network and you don't have to miss anything. I don't understand the big issue? Is it just more fun to complain?

Instead of solving the problem (not as though there is much of one) and using a product to it's full capabilities which you've already paid for, you are willingly missing the game because you don't want to use the product? Huh? Whose fault is this? You have the answer and if you're reading from this screen then hit the link..

As for Xbox/Ps3 or any other apps they don't have them. Certainly would be great if they developed chromecast but the Apple TV option works really well.

Here is my final comment for this post, If you are on this message board than you are a Wildcat and in that case Bear Down and figure out a solution.

http://pac-12.com/networks

http://pac-12.com/content/pac-12-now-apps
I thought I did. I switched to Dish and specifically bargained for the multi-sports pack including P12N which appears to provide ample alternate channels. It's 2014 and with all of the advances in media and broadcasting technology, as you and others have so graciously pointed out, you'd think they could "flip a switch" so to speak and put the game on one of them when there's a conflict. As noted, ESPN does it all the time. It's the simplest solution. Period.

I'm not averse to or incapable of using online streaming. I wasn't prepared for it last week, nor will I be this week, because my internet is down as a casualty of my move. It's great that this alternative exists, but shouldn't all of the other alternatives work too? Like the alternative channels on Dish? Isn't that what alternatives are for - options, choices, functionality for each particular user's circumstances? How come only the Apple tv users have an option, but not the Google Chromecast folks?

I will install the app and be prepared in the future. I can run a bigger monitor off my computer. I get it. In the heat of the moment last Saturday night, however, the app and the .com and the online streaming were not an option for me. The 60" screen and the satellite dish were my preferred available technology - the seemingly most common and user-friendly technology at that. So with the multitude of dark alternate channels playing bad jazz it was particularly frustrating when it didn't work.

I'm not willingly not watching the game. To the contrary, I'm desperately trying to watch the game. To the point of mental breakdown. You technology hawks are missing the point, and it's a simple one: Turn the damn game on the fucking tv so your paying customers can watch it. It's not that fucking complicated. Nor does it have to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If the Pac12 is serious about growing it's fanbase and turning current fans into brand advocates, they should make all games available to everyone who wants to watch them and there should be multiple avenues to do so. This idea that a casual fan is going to download apps and buy third party technology to get a couple of games a year is pretty funny. Most will look at their guide, see that Arizona is supposed to be on, switch to that channel, see that Arizona is not on, look for other feeds and then give up. That's not a recipe for turning someone casually watching your product into someone who has to consume your product.

I figured out how to watch the Nevada game because I am a rabid, die-hard fan. If Larry Scott is counting on the few of us out there to carry the water for the network and conference, he's taking bath salts. Put your product somewhere EVERYONE can experience it. Not just on certain cable/satellite systems and not just in certain areas of the country. Make it accessible and you'll build brand loyalty. Keep it hidden and people will move on to the thousands of other entertainment choices out there.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Agreed BD89.

Frankly, if I learned how to stream all TV through my computer I probably wouldn't have TV at all.

DISH and P12N got back in the game with me--now they have to keep my business. Not be asleep at the switch and tell people about workarounds that don't address the issue at corporate.