ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: ASU blows

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:
Merkin wrote:I guess the gap won't close after all Paola?

:lol:

Stunner
In other news man lands on the moon

Iraq didn't have Nigerian uranium

Courtney Simpson is a huge slut.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: x 1million
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Reading those tweets and then this article has made me smile:
For recruiting purposes, ASU likely will have to move fast. The Sun Devils have commitments from 2016 four-star prospects Brendan Bailey of Highland (Utah) American Fork High and Lucas Siewert of Los Angeles Cathedral. Another four-star prospect, 2017 point guard Markus Howard of Gilbert Perry decommitted this month.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /70379164/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So from the statement it really seems like the boosters pushed to get Sendek fired. Can't be a comfortable feeling for the next hire that he's going to have to kiss major valley b-hole to keep his job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Whoever they hire, you can be sure next years asu team will be really bad.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

If they had fired him last year like they should have, they could have hired Ernie Kent. I don't know who they think is going to take this job right now. But I also think Herb needed to go after losing to USC and losing recruits.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What the asu boosters and fans want is someone who recruits really well and they want style, flash and aau basketball. Since herb was a decent coach and pretty bad recruiter they probably want the opposite. Some coach that can sign top 20 classes and just roll the ball out and let the kids do fast breaks and ally oops all game.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:What the asu boosters and fans want is someone who recruits really well and they want style, flash and aau basketball. Since herb was a decent coach and pretty bad recruiter they probably want the opposite. Some coach that can sign top 20 classes and just roll the ball out and let the kids do fast breaks and ally oops all game.
So, in effect, Pastner.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Exactly or someone like him. They want to find a way to get butts in the seats.

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Even during the great 2008 year, they only average 9,013 fans a game (excluding the AZ game, 9,354 including it). They can hope all that they want but even a winning team that reached the round of 32 wont bring in big time fans. I also ran into this oldie but goodie:

A Tale of Two Programs: ASU losing ground to GCU Basketball

http://www.lopenation.com/2014/07/09/a- ... asketball/
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Whats sad is I bet this board is talking more about Herb getting fired then any ASU board

ASU basketball will never be good. They do have a nice practice facility already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K652B4bX3zM

I have never stepped foot in Wells Fargo Arena and heard its a dump but honestly fix the locker rooms for players and spend a little bit of clean up money and your fine. Our arena is nice now but honestly as a fan I could care less and never really bothered me before. Cater to what the recruits want and your fine.

Facilities are not the problem at ASU, everything else is. No tradition, lack of fan support, Pro Sports town, little to no in-state talent, and of course playing in the shadow of U of A. Similar to a NC State. Sure, you can have some good years but they will never pass UNC or Duke.

Funny Herbie coached in both places. ASU is dumb for firing him as he did everything you can ask an ASU coach to do, beat U of A about 50% of the time, make a tournament every 4 years, have a winning record, don't have players get into trouble, and have your program be decent but not a total embarrassment.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

AZ Central says they are looking at Pasternack now
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

If you have had experience in watching Miller recruit, why would you try and go against him?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Jefe wrote:AZ Central says they are looking at Pasternack now
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Gilbertcat wrote:If you have had experience in watching Miller recruit, why would you try and go against him?
You don't, and he won't... LOL

This whole thing is hilarious.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Outside of Capel, every person they have suggested is connected to Arizona.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: pasternack.

Clown show up there.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Absolutely hilarious listening to the radio today
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Katzenfreund wrote:I don't understand why ASU makes this search a public matter. Normally, you'd want to play your cards close to the chest and not get turned down openly by a half dozen candidates. Unless the Normals are outsmarting everyone and these leaks are all smokescreens to end up with Brad Stevens.
Did you type that with a straight face?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This guy is delusional. He's going to get a reality check pretty quickly if he wants some big name hire.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Is Ray Anderson any relation to the Maryland burger-eating AD? They both seem to be in the same fantasy world.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So what's Shay Binion up to these days?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Been waiting for that name.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:Absolutely hilarious listening to the radio today

Yeah, I pulled over once when Jude LaCava said that ASU should go for (this is not a joke) Archie Miller, Josh Pastner, Shaka Smart or Greg Marshall. He said that Jeff Capel was not a good fit, but those guys would work.

I mean, that fanbase..you know, all 20 of them, are gonna be in for a rude awakening.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

This is too funny.
http://arizonastate.scout.com/forums/16 ... right?s=43

f the rumors are true then Wells wont be a problem after 2017. Whoever is the coach can get in on the ground level of truly building this program from the ground up on soooo many levels. You gotta think that has to be or will be a HUGE selling point. And Enk is 100% correct. We have to get this right. For the AD to be truly healthy we have to have a competitive basketball program.

You are right. Money was not a problem at all as Anderson proved today. They can give easily give
the arena a modest renovation. Let's build this thing to a point where we can .all look forward
to going to watch Sun Devil basketball.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Herb is the best that ASU could have done. It's a shame that they don't undertand this. All I heard today is how Graham has brought the FB team back to prominince (really, he has?) and that they need to find someone to do the same for BBall.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

But Todd is great. He has went to 3 lower teir bowls and tells everyone they can win the natty...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It's using loser logic to decide your school's money future.

Graham just lost the Pac-12 South to his arch-rival by throwing his senior starting QB under the bus and he's the savior now? Gordon Ramsay just walked out on you for not upholding your standards, ASU.

All most Devil boosters want to do is win quick and dirty. They want the next Cuonzo Martin. They never had the patience to keep Sendek.

I mean, this is a booster base still primarily made up of those who had their most successful coach ever fired in favor of Bob freaking Weinhauer. A lot of stupid to tunnel out from under there.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

910 in Phoenix actually had some Asu dude on who at least controlled the rumors and said they won't pay what the top guys want. I am surprised the Nau guy hasn't been mentioned. Did well locally and is still playing in the Cit. Even beat GCU.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Jack Murphy, Gilbertcat? Not Miller enough, I guess.
Irish27 wrote:This is too funny.
http://arizonastate.scout.com/forums/16 ... right?s=43

f the rumors are true then Wells wont be a problem after 2017. Whoever is the coach can get in on the ground level of truly building this program from the ground up on soooo many levels. You gotta think that has to be or will be a HUGE selling point. And Enk is 100% correct. We have to get this right. For the AD to be truly healthy we have to have a competitive basketball program.

You are right. Money was not a problem at all as Anderson proved today. They can give easily give
the arena a modest renovation. Let's build this thing to a point where we can .all look forward
to going to watch Sun Devil basketball.
I guess they've already forgotten that the school's on the hook for a Sun Devil Stadium refurb as well.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Quick and dirty...just how Asu likes it. They don't fully realise what it takes long term to make a successful program. They just want that flashy name and recruiter that will sign a couple of top 75 players for 2016 and take them on some miracle sweet 16 run...but who will then probably be fired within 3 years since he can't actually coach up players or sustain a big boy program.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Gilbertcat wrote:910 in Phoenix actually had some Asu dude on who at least controlled the rumors and said they won't pay what the top
guys want. I am surprised the Nau guy hasn't been mentioned. Did well locally and is still playing in the Cit. Even beat GCU.
Jack Murphy is from UA also. They need coaches with no ties to the UA. None of them are going to coach for ASU. NONE!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm beginning to think that Pastner started the rumor about ASU being interested in Pastner.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They need someone who is a strong recruiter with west coast ties. Randy Bennet would be a Herb clone. Would think they will have to reach inyo the coaching retread pool or the mid major arena
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:
Main Event wrote:Absolutely hilarious listening to the radio today

Yeah, I pulled over once when Jude LaCava said that ASU should go for (this is not a joke) Archie Miller, Josh Pastner, Shaka Smart or Greg Marshall. He said that Jeff Capel was not a good fit, but those guys would work.

I mean, that fanbase..you know, all 20 of them, are gonna be in for a rude awakening.
Umm... One of those things is not like the others. And if it was a year from now he would probably be a realistic option.
az91

Post by az91 »

azcat49 wrote:They need someone who is a strong recruiter with west coast ties. Randy Bennet would be a Herb clone. Would think they will have to reach inyo the coaching retread pool or the mid major arena
They probably would never touch Randy Bennett after his NCAA sanctions.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think we need a spreadsheet (and maybe a Craigslist advert)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Gilbertcat wrote:910 in Phoenix actually had some Asu dude on who at least controlled the rumors and said they won't pay what the top guys want. I am surprised the Nau guy hasn't been mentioned. Did well locally and is still playing in the Cit. Even beat GCU.
A selling point for ASU Basketball! :lol:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Now they are pimping Steve Lavin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never hire a coach that has been fired. Lavin is about ready to get fired at job #2.

Although I do like him, even though he isn't a big Gay guy.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If they are smart, they should make a run at Howland.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thought Howland took the Mississippi St job? The Lavin talk was just boosteer talk in my office. The ASSU color guy, Kyle Dodd was sayng this morning he still thinks the Capel rumors are true and it is his if he wants it. IMO that would be a terrible hire and a career ebder for Capel although he could definitely get several years to be mediocre
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Thought Howland took the Mississippi St job? The Lavin talk was just boosteer talk in my office. The ASSU color guy, Kyle Dodd was sayng this morning he still thinks the Capel rumors are true and it is his if he wants it. IMO that would be a terrible hire and a career ebder for Capel although he could definitely get several years to be mediocre
He did.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... tate-coach

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sun city is gross

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat34 wrote:
Bickley is such an idiot.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

Wow, such chatter and pipe dreams from reporters, color guys and fans of assu who have called Basketball a fringe sport and a sport that doesn't matter.....

Jealousy and delusion at it's best.