Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
84Cat wrote:Spill the dirt LH. What did he have to say?
Cousin in the army. Daughter on the east coast. Son thinks he's an artist and can't get a job. Neighbor wants to get a motorcycle but never met his brother-in-law with the broken leg and the Yamaha in the creek bed. Wants to retire one day to spend more time seeing national monuments. Has diabetes. You know, all the things you need to hear about instead of reading your book.
Hey, I was lonely. And it was a stupid book.
One time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Encouraging comments from Rabb on his recent visit:

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/20 ... recruiting

What did Coach Miller and Coach Pasternack talk to you about?

They told me that I could explode in the system. I could see where I would be playing and I’d be doing some of the same things that BA (Brandon Ashley) is doing.

Where does Arizona stand in your recruitment?

They’re up there. I like Arizona even more now that I’ve visited.
Katzenfreund

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: They told me that I could explode in the system. I could see where I would be playing and I’d be doing some of the same things that BA (Brandon Ashley) is doing.
Falling off the draft boards?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Merkin wrote:
dmjcat wrote: They told me that I could explode in the system. I could see where I would be playing and I’d be doing some of the same things that BA (Brandon Ashley) is doing.
Falling off the draft boards?

Hope IR was watching our terrific performance last night and BA's offensive explosion. Free rein in the paint with help from a hopefully returning Zeus, and the defense necessarily drawn to Rondae, Stanley, and the jitterbug TJ. Yeah, Mr. Rabb, this is how a 4 gets to operate in Sean Miller's game.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"Hope IR was watching..."

I'm guessing he was, but then again who knows.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

No way Zeus leaves. But Stanley, RHJ, and BA...all gone.

2015-16 starting five:

Tarc
Anderson
Smith
Trier (or York)
PJC (or Simon)

I don't think Rabb is coming.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I hop the IR family doesn't only subscribe to Direct TV.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:No way Zeus leaves. But Stanley, RHJ, and BA...all gone.

2015-16 starting five:

Tarc
Anderson
Smith
Trier (or York)
PJC (or Simon)

I don't think Rabb is coming.
Up to now, I think Rondae and Brandon need to show more to go first round.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Tarc is gone. Rabb is coming. BA, SJ, and RHJ gone.

My predictions.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CBCat wrote:Tarc is gone. Rabb is coming. BA, SJ, and RHJ gone.

My predictions.
Okay, in that case:

Ristic
Rabb/Anderson
Smith
Trier/York
PJC/Simon

Even without Rabb, I'd say we're a top 25 team. With him, solidly in the top 20. Gonna be an interesting season next year. Losing the core of our team, but bringing in some elite talent.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Stanimal is 100% gone.

Rondae is 90% gone, although if he did not leave last season, he should not be. I am sure someone will post stats to prove I am wrong, but he seems to have taken a quarter step back from last season. That rumored improved shooting is as accurate as reports that Buckner was better than Criner... And his ball-handling see,s worse. (I LOVE RHJ... Just calling it like I see it)

Bash - 70% gone.Whether or not he should be depends on whether he looks more like he did against UT or UNLV/ OSU for the rest of the season. (Might be my favorite Cat this year)

Kaleb - 50/50. If he played to the ceiling he has shown this season, he is a late lottery pick. Unfortunately, that seems to be somewhere between 25-33% of the time.

I have a feeling we get Rabb. More confident after Cal's less than impressive start to conference play.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

My predictions.

agree, hope so, agree
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Is playing right now om ESPNU against #3 Wheeler. Bishop is #17. Wheeler has Jaylen Brown
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Weak 1st half for IR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

3goggles wrote:Weak 1st half for IR
He'd fit in perfectly!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Strong 2nd. Finished with 24 and 12.
Right where I want to be.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

My predictions.
Okay, in that case:

Ristic
Rabb/Anderson
Smith
Trier/York
PJC/Simon

Even without Rabb, I'd say we're a top 25 team. With him, solidly in the top 20. Gonna be an interesting season next year. Losing the core of our team, but bringing in some elite talent.
Still stand by my prediction. (Its so predictable, lol)
Looking at that roster. Who are we recruiting additionally at the 4/5. Looks like we need one more there.
and you forgot Pitts. Pitts/Smith
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CBCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

My predictions.
Okay, in that case:

Ristic
Rabb/Anderson
Smith
Trier/York
PJC/Simon

Still stand by my prediction. (Its so predictable, lol)
Looking at that roster. Who are we recruiting additionally at the 4/5. Looks like we need one more there.
and you forgot Pitts. Pitts/Smith
Don't forget Comanche
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

CalStateTempe wrote:
3goggles wrote:Weak 1st half for IR
He'd fit in perfectly!
lol
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Brown (31 points) outscored Ivan Rabb in their head-to-head matchup, but Rabb dominated the second half (24 points, 12 rebounds) and Bishop O'Dowd came out with the win over Wheeler (Georgia).

The No. 5-ranked Rabb has taken official visits to Arizona and Kentucky, and wants to take trips to the other three schools on his list -- California, Kansas, UCLA -- before deciding. There aren't any dates set for the visits.

The in-state Golden Bears have done an excellent job with Rabb, and are in a very good position right now. Rabb told ESPN.com his best head coach relationship is with Cuonzo Martin, and sources said Rabb was the first phone call Martin made after getting the job back in April. This one could end up as a Pac-12 battle between California and Arizona.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... t?id=12732
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://zagsblog.com/articles/ivan-rabb- ... cruitment/

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — In the first game of a quadruple-header on ESPNU, Ivan Rabb and Bishop O’Dowd (CA) defeated Jaylen Brown and Marietta (GA) Wheeler, 79-70, at the 2015 HoopHall Classic.

In front of Kentucky head coach John Calipari and assistants from Cal and UCLA, the 6-foot-11 power forward finished with an impressive stat line of 24 points, 12 rebounds and 5 blocks. Brown, who is also considering Kentucky and UCLA among others, finished with 31 points and 12 rebounds.

Ranked fifth in the ESPN.com national rankings, Rabb is considering five schools at this point. His final list includes Cal, Kentucky and UCLA along with Arizona and Kansas.

Fresh off an official to Tucson, Rabb mentioned what stood out to him about it.

“It was really nice,” said Rabb. “The thing that stood out the most was that they sold out the game with the students being off campus. Everyone in Tucson came out, and I think they had 14,500 people there. Every seat was packed and that impressed me.”

The only other school to receive an official from the athletic forward at this point has been Kentucky. He made the trip to Lexington back in October for the Blue White Scrimmage.

“The Kentucky visit was really nice, too,” Rabb said. “They also sold out their whole gym, and that was for a scrimmage which is crazy.”

When asked what his interest level in the Wildcats at this point Ivan was quick to answer.

“I’m definitely considering them,” he said. “I know what they can do with a player like myself, they’ve had players like me before. They have definitely proven what they can do with players that come in and work hard, they put them where I want to go eventually.”

He also mentioned his relationship with Calipari. “Our relationship is really, really good,” said Rabb. “He’s a coach who really doesn’t call any of his players that much, but when we talk we discuss things that I did well and things that I could do better.”

Kentucky figures to lose Karl-Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein and Dakari Johnson, and maybe Trey Lyles, to the NBA, but will add several big to go along with signee Skal Labissiere.

“I wouldn’t say that’s a big deal to me because anywhere I go there’s going to be competition,” Rabb said. “Nobody is going to roll over and give me there spot.”

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported on air that Cal coach Cuonzo Martin offered Rabb’s high school coach, Lou Richie, a job at Cal when Martin was first hired, but Richie declined. Still, Cal is heavily in the mix.

“I have the best relationship with Cuonzo Martin,” Rabb said. “Him being so close, I can basically go up there whenever I want.”

In terms of future visits Rabb knows he plans to officially visit Cal, Kansas and UCLA, although no dates have been set yet. Expect a decision from Rabb after his senior season.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Let him go to Cuonzo at CAL, we'll still beat that ass!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Gotta give props to Cuonzo though, doing the right things

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported on air that Cal coach Cuonzo Martin offered Rabb’s high school coach, Lou Richie, a job at Cal when Martin was first hired, but Richie declined. Still, Cal is heavily in the mix.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Looks like Cal still has an edge over Arizona. There seems to be a nice connection. But he's also got to consider carefully about what and who's going to get him to the next level. Arizona's history, and Sean Miller will do just that... in a family environment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Looks like Cal still has an edge over Arizona. There seems to be a nice connection. But he's also got to consider carefully about what and who's going to get him to the next level. Arizona's history, and Sean Miller will do just that... in a family environment.
I'm betting that Ivan and his family/friends/mentors/etc feel like he has the raw talent to elevate any team he plays for and to make it to the NBA no matter where he goes to school. So as long as he's playing in a major conference he'll get the exposure he needs to be a prominent name on the national stage. The distance his people would need to travel to come see him play might be an issue of greater importance than the possible success of the team he plays for.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Cal has work to do and for now they're on the outside looking in. Martin is in a tough position to land a one-and-done hopeful and his relationship with the player is a big asset but it isn't enough. Rabb will want the national stage that potentially deep-tourney team can give and he needs to play in an offense where he can get touches. It's at least as important for Rabb as it was for Aaron Gordon, who was supposedly going to play for Romar. Kansas is an unknown because he hasn't visited yet, but that would be a surprise. Ditto for UCLA, which would make little sense. Unless Martin can put a roster together, and unless Arizona and Kentucky don't bring back players currently expected to leave, it will come down to Arizona or Kentucky.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

HiCat wrote:Looks like Mom (Cal) still has an edge over Arizona. There seems to be a nice connection. But he's also got to consider carefully about what and who's going to get him to the next level. Arizona's history, and Sean Miller will do just that... in a family environment.

fyp.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

“It was really nice,” said Rabb. “The thing that stood out the most was that they sold out the game with the students being off campus. Everyone in Tucson came out, and I think they had 14,500 people there. Every seat was packed and that impressed me.”

The only other school to receive an official from the athletic forward at this point has been Kentucky. He made the trip to Lexington back in October for the Blue White Scrimmage.

“The Kentucky visit was really nice, too,” Rabb said. “They also sold out their whole gym, and that was for a scrimmage which is crazy.”

If attendance is as important to him as he says:

Attendance from last year to this

School 2014 Avg. 2013 Avg. Perc. +/-
Arizona 14,416 14,157 + 1.8
Ariz. St. 6,317 6,143 +2.8
California 8,056 8,297 - 3.0
Colorado 9,546 10,392 - 8.1
Oregon 7,161 7,602 - 4.8
Oregon St. 3,938 4,784 - 17.7
Stanford 4,972 4,530 + 9.8
UCLA 7,852 9,549 - 17.8
USC 4,615 4,242 + 8.8
Utah 9,972 8,611 + 15.8
UW 6,345 7,937 - 20.1
WSU 2,882 4,901 - 41.2
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

And meanwhile, asu is beating Cal 71-33 as I type this.

Cuonzo Martin is making Herb Sendek look like John Wooden. Does Rabb really want to spend the 1-2 years of his college career watching the NCAA tournament from his dorm room???
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dmjcat wrote:And meanwhile, asu is beating Cal 71-33 as I type this.

Cuonzo Martin is making Herb Sendek look like John Wooden. Does Rabb really want to spend the 1-2 years of his college career watching the NCAA tournament from his dorm room???
No sh#t!!! C'mon Rabb, stay out West and play for the best Coach in the P12!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

No way in hell does Rabb go to Cal after this. In fact, I can't imagine why anyone would want to play for Cuonzo Martin now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thanks Cal for hosting Rabb tonight! I'm sure he liked what he saw!
Zero

Post by Zero »

And good job Cal student section making a big head of Rabb and a jersey in a cal uni framed with his name on it. Not legal. Also, they gave him the big head.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

When was the last time a kid who is potentially the #1 High School Recruit in the entire U.S.A. went to his "hometown" school to play when said school is not an upper tier basketball school/questionable if can even make the NCAA Tourney let alone vie for Conference Championships and the like. Wouldn't going to Cal for Rabb essentially leave money on the table when he does go pro or is there a Rookie max that he would without a doubt get?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CBCat wrote:When was the last time a kid who is potentially the #1 High School Recruit in the entire U.S.A. went to his "hometown" school to play when said school is not an upper tier basketball school/questionable if can even make the NCAA Tourney let alone vie for Conference Championships and the like. Wouldn't going to Cal for Rabb essentially leave money on the table when he does go pro or is there a Rookie max that he would without a doubt get?
Definitely no rookie max. #5 cannot earn what #1 earns. It's slot pay.

But you're confusing team success with individual success. While Gordon helped prove you don't have to statistically dominate to go top-5, plenty of top picks prefer to be able to dominate statistically, so if Rabb is that sort, he's better for a Cal than a Arizona or Kentucky.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CBCat wrote:When was the last time a kid who is potentially the #1 High School Recruit in the entire U.S.A. went to his "hometown" school to play when said school is not an upper tier basketball school/questionable if can even make the NCAA Tourney let alone vie for Conference Championships and the like. Wouldn't going to Cal for Rabb essentially leave money on the table when he does go pro or is there a Rookie max that he would without a doubt get?
That dude who stayed in Detroit to play with dad, right? Ray McCallum?

I know he's playing the League, but his stats aren't that great.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Zero wrote:And good job Cal student section making a big head of Rabb and a jersey in a cal uni framed with his name on it. Not legal. Also, they gave him the big head.

Real Nobel Prize winners. :roll:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man fuck cal.

Unc syndrome. At the end of the day, you're just an underfunded state school with decent grad programs. That's all .
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm unclear on what "dumbed down" institutions that aren't Cal "do to compete." Hire Martin? Otherwise, I personally know only one case where a basketball program intervened to change player grades and maintain academic eligibility, and that program was at Cal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Put me out to pasture if I ever start a sentence, "In my day..."

Or if caught wearing Tommy Bahama.

Must be an aging Cal alumni thing.

Have I mentioned how much I love watching a cal beat down at Haas? Their fans have some serious hate/envy for Arizona basketball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Cal is not that far removed from the Todd Bozeman days...lest they not forget. Cal basketball is what it is, and was what it was...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

patience
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:Put me out to pasture if I ever start a sentence, "In my day..."

Have I mentioned how much I love watching a cal beat down at Haas? Their fans have some serious hate/envy for Arizona basketball.
Same here with "At the end of the day"
Right where I want to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gumby wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Put me out to pasture if I ever start a sentence, "In my day..."

I know Gumby! To be honest, that phrase is so grating, not gonna lie.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Inferiority/Superiority complex...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:

2 more... "The reality of it is" and "let me be perfectly honest with you"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
gumby wrote:

2 more... "The reality of it is" and "let me be perfectly honest with you"
It is what it is.