Duke

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Duke

Post by Olsondogg »

Someone explain, jokes aside, why the committee will factor K's absence into seedings...

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Someone explain, jokes aside, why the committee will factor K's absence into seedings...

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Allegedly, the tourney committee factors in things like player absences. Coaching absences are less common, but I assume it follows the same logic.

How much it is factored in and what effect it has is the real question. Do you bump a team up because they were missing someone? Do you knock down a team that had a star get hurt or suspended for the tourney? Should you reward suspensions with benefits?

In theory it is fair. In practice...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't see how a coaching change, albeit temporarily, would affect anything. I mean, yeah Miller is the coach...but if anyone thinks that much would change game to game if he took a month off, they are kidding themselves. It's not like Capel is gonna suddenly scrap what K was doing. The idea that a coach being out is as significant as a player is a joke.

The truth is, K looked at what was facing him (schedule wise, and "suspensions" and "heat") and decided to get this done now.

Kinda like when things go bad, you do this:

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bangkok Wildcat

Grayson Allen Video - He Be Trippin'

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfJ6FcQoTE

What a complete tool.....yet a great representative of Duke, lol.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

"Indefinite" being "1 game" apparently.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck Duke
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Merkin wrote:"Indefinite" being "1 game" apparently.

Or til you lose. Either/or.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What else can you do?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Did the committee consider Lute's absence in 2001? I know we had a losing streak then won a bunch in a row. Our coaches absence was for a reason that affected the team too, but if you don't get breaks for injuries in the middle of the year or maybe weeks players played bad because they had a tough exam, do you seed for a coaching absence? Seems like things happen...
Bangkok Wildcat

What a joke......Coach K comes out of this looking like a real tool too IMO.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Olsondogg wrote:I don't see how a coaching change, albeit temporarily, would affect anything. I mean, yeah Miller is the coach...but if anyone thinks that much would change game to game if he took a month off, they are kidding themselves. It's not like Capel is gonna suddenly scrap what K was doing. The idea that a coach being out is as significant as a player is a joke.

The truth is, K looked at what was facing him (schedule wise, and "suspensions" and "heat") and decided to get this done now.

Exactly. K is a self-absorbed, vile piece of shit who will use every possible tool in his control to make sure HIS legacy isn't tarnished. K was the fucking pioneer of the scared princess OOC scheduling that blue blood programs use now when he decided to refuse to every play an OOC in Tucson again.
Bangkok Wildcat

splitsecond wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I don't see how a coaching change, albeit temporarily, would affect anything. I mean, yeah Miller is the coach...but if anyone thinks that much would change game to game if he took a month off, they are kidding themselves. It's not like Capel is gonna suddenly scrap what K was doing. The idea that a coach being out is as significant as a player is a joke.

Exactly. K is a self-absorbed, vile piece of shit who will use every possible tool in his control to make sure HIS legacy isn't tarnished. K was the fucking pioneer of the scared princess OOC scheduling that blue blood programs use now when he decided to refuse to every play an OOC in Tucson again.

Post of the day splitsecond! Very well said Sir.
Bangkok Wildcat

Stole this off some Dude posting on ESPN comments:

When prompted for an explanation on why the indefinite suspension was only for 1 game, Krzyzewski responded with "why you trippin'?"

Lmao.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

As I posted in another thread, defending champions or no, Duke is the absolute king of gaming the system that has become D-1 college hoops.

And Grayson Allen was always a douche. It's just coming out now, like Laettner and Hurley in their senior years.

As the head of USA Basketball for as long as he wants to be, K is absolutely untouchable now. Only public backlash against his dubious "discipline" made him go in for another back surgery. If it were up to ESPN, Grayson Allen would be the "misunderstood bad boy" of basketball, and K would be Chuck Daly.

Waiting any day now for Dick Vitale to call Duke "haters" "jealous." It's practically cliche at this point.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If this was some inner city kid, at some point we'd be hearing the word "thug", and certainly not testimonials from his mom (unless it was pointed out that she was a crack addict and/or prostitute).

The thing about a trip is that it can very easily cause serious injury. I don't know that it has been Allen's intention to cause injury, but shouldn't that at least be questioned? Instead all you hear is that he's "a good kid" and "caught up in the moment". Personally, I think he may have emotional or psychological issues, but Duke and the media will just keep on whitewashing this as some kind of teachable moment for an otherwise solid citizen.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Thank God the persecution of one of the nations best basketball players is over. Never stop being you, Grayson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -too-early" target="_blank

Nothing to see here folks. Just move along and stop asking questions.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Indefinite = one game

Amazing.

Not sure many of us around here had much respect for K before this series of incidences, but one can imagine the level of respect nationally dipping quite a bit from this (now continuing, apparently) debacle.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I wouldn't underestimate the impact. In-game management itself is a huge thing. A Coach K or a Sean Miller has seen more, are smarter than and know their players more than the guy who steps in. Great coaches before you even look at their recruiting, development, etc. prowess. Little things too, like how to ride refs, make minor in-game tweaks, how to respond to your players in game. I've been in games where I have seen it go both ways: the team plays looser and performs better because they dont have a head coach riding their ass or worried about making him happy, or the team plays loosely and jerks around and gets murdered, or the team really needs their leader and hes not there, or the interim coach is so up-tight and doesn't want to screw things up that he screws things up. I have no problem extending that benefit to a team, or injuries, but Arizona and Appalachian State need the same level of consideration as a Duke.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So does he go through with surgery or does improve to the point where it's back to "watchful waiting"?
Bangkok Wildcat

So now that Coach K has done this latest sleazy maneuver, can we call him Coach Rat-face again? Lol.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Had a successful surgery today, will miss 4wks.

I still don't understand why now, unless something changed clinically. Saying removal of a fragment of a herniated disk. (Microdiscectomy?)

Interestingly enough, UNC Virginia or any other big ACC teams arnt on the schedule.
Bangkok Wildcat

CalStateTempe wrote:Had a successful surgery today, will miss 4wks.

I still don't understand why now, unless something changed clinically. Saying removal of a fragment of a herniated disk. (Microdiscectomy?)
I think they wanted to remove his backbone but when they went in, they already found it missing (thanks Grayson) so might as well just call it successful and move on.....
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: excellent diagnosis Bangkok!
Bangkok Wildcat

CalStateTempe wrote::lol: excellent diagnosis Bangkok!
Why thank you CST!......'I'll be here all week and please don't forget to tip your waitresses!' Lol.....

Seriously though, between Duke and ASSU, there's just too much good material out there right now ;-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Had a successful surgery today, will miss 4wks.

Interestingly enough, UNC Virginia or any other big ACC teams arnt on the schedule.
Somehow he got a more definite timeline to return after back surgery than Grayson Allen did after tripping the guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wait, this can't be . . . nah, I mean . . . but it just couldn't be . . . could it?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

WTF, this kid is a menace. There's literally no reason for him to move his leg in that manner except to try to trip/kick that BC player.
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:Wait, this can't be . . . nah, I mean . . . but it just couldn't be . . . could it?

At a loss for words right now.....really. Smh.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So one and a half games for the kicker/tripper to resurface?

You're killin' it K. You totally got this under control.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What an asshole.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I actually don't think he was trying to trip him . . .

Instead it looks like he's trying to kick him in the nuts.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:I actually don't think he was trying to trip him . . .

Instead it looks like he's trying to kick him in the nuts.
Yeah not a trip but a kick.

Apparently the refs looked at it and gave a flagrant. Then the ACC comes out with a statement saying they "aren't sure" it was intentional, so no disciplinary action. So the ones with no horse in the game find fault, while the ACC continues with letting K run rough shod over their conference.

Glory all around over there right now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Grayson Allen, using his hands this time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/calebt_smith ... 6517114880" target="_blank
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Grayson Allen, using his hands this time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/calebt_smith ... 6517114880" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The ACC/NCAA not protecting their student athletes. Not only the victims of Allen's bitchassness, but Allen himself; he is going to do that to the wrong guy and swallow half the teeth in his mouth and 99% of America will cheer for it.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Duke is 7 in the polls now. How far will they rise after their blowout loss to FSU?

The amount of goodwill and excuses they get from the voters and espn is insane. AZ should be top10 still if they took Triers absence into account, the same way they take Duke's injuries and Coach k's backiotomy into account.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Probably just another Duke canard, but I heard Bryce is dating Luke Kennard!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Not sure why Louisville didn't hold and take the last shot. Interesting clock management
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Duke's pieces don't fit. And they don't have a Parker or Okafor this year, a transcendent player who can carry them in tight games. I won't be picking them to go very far in the tourney. UVA and Florida St. are the best ACC teams I've watched this year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Duke isn't bad, but they look like a 3 seed sweet 16 type team, which is disappointing since weren't they #1 preseason?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Duke isn't bad, but they look like a 3 seed sweet 16 type team, which is disappointing since weren't they #1 preseason?
When I watch them, I see a bunch of good players, no great ones. And very little team chemistry. It's still early, so perhaps the chemistry will be there in March. But yes, this is disappointing considering how highly regarded they were to start the season.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

This just in, "Coach K is resting comfortably after Doctors successfully removed Dick Vitale from his ass"

F Duke
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Duke is fairly average.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can't understand how Duke is wasting this much talent.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

They're getting killed at home. By Miami.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

K is so happy he faked that back injury.
prh

Post by prh »

How bad is Miami? They seemed in control, I grab some food and come back and they're losing by 15. What happened?