ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: ASU blows

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
UAdevil wrote:http://www.cactusranch.com/devils/msgboard.html

The Raunch is still around...that site is also a time machine back to 1995.
Does that link work for you? It's the same one I reference and all it does is go to a blank page. Not sure if that's meant as a symbolic thing.
Doesn't work...get a "404 (Page Not Found) Error".

Looks like their message boards don't work anymore. Seeing as how their football schedule was last updated in November 2014, I'd wager this site is as dead as their Basketball aspirations ;-)
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
UAdevil wrote:http://www.cactusranch.com/devils/msgboard.html

The Raunch is still around...that site is also a time machine back to 1995.
Does that link work for you? It's the same one I reference and all it does is go to a blank page. Not sure if that's meant as a symbolic thing.
Doesn't work...get a "404 (Page Not Found) Error".

Looks like their message boards don't work anymore. Seeing as how their football schedule was last updated in November 2014, I'd wager this site is as dead as their Basketball aspirations ;-)
Seriously though :lol:, with no more Cactus Ranch is there really only ONE online sports community for arguably the nation's largest university? And all it's thousands of alums? And the one community they have (SDSource on scout.com) is so diminished and racked with hostile in-fghting, on a site that's banned all outside fan interaction no less! Every discussion gets corrupted by their odd personal obsessions like where Tood gets his hair clipped and why Vegas has no line on this years team. It's a total mess.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Bangkok Wildcat

CatsbyAZ wrote: Seriously though :lol:, with no more Cactus Ranch is there really only ONE online sports community for arguably the nation's largest university? And all it's thousands of alums? And the one community they have (SDSource on scout.com) is so diminished and racked with hostile in-fghting, on a site that's banned all outside fan interaction no less! Every discussion gets corrupted by their odd personal obsessions like where Tood gets his hair clipped and why Vegas has no line on this years team. It's a total mess.
Hence the thread title of 'ASU Blows'. They are pathetic fans with a few exceptions. 8-)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

A kid commits to ASU before his sophomore year? Let's see if that sticks for another 3 full recruiting cycles..
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:A kid commits to ASU before his sophomore year? Let's see if that sticks for another 3 full recruiting cycles..
This kinda does have that feeling of "commit to us while you look around and eventually go somewhere else" kind of thing.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The other thing I discovered is that he is already 16 1/2...but just finished his freshman year in high school. Would be turning 20 around the time his freshman year in college started. Who knows if draft rules would change before then, but I'd say the odds of him actually playing for ASU are near 0

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
I swear I said this prior to him committing to ASU, but Walker strikes me as a kid who is bigger and more physically mature than his classmates. Those kids have a tendency to come back to the rest of the class as the physical advantages even out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/crow-a ... time-soon/

"......While Crow said 11 schools have decided not to play GCU in men’s basketball — Arizona is the lone exception — there are examples of competition between Pac-12 schools and GCU in other sports. Arizona played GCU in basketball, baseball, track, beach volleyball, softball and tennis last season, according to GCULopes.com writer Paul Coro......."

Lol......Go GCU! ;-)
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Instead of getting worked in the low post against bigger players, Kodi Justice is going to get worked by better players on the wing. Gotta stick around ASU for that NIT bid.

Cute.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... sylkz7707l" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
O/U on 15 fans in the building by the end of that game?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
O/U on 15 fans in the building by the end of that game?
I figured they played them on the asphalt on Mill
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Utah has played GCU in basketball. Thought it was more than once but what do I know. I found this funny:
The game against Grand Canyon will not be televised by the Pac-12[1] due to an ongoing dispute over for-profit universities competing in Division I athletics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%8 ... tball_team" target="_blank

Tempe is so lame. They seem to have forgotten about the Harden recruitment. They also try to take a moral ground( in their view) by trying to ignore the team in the Valley with the best shot at reaching the tournament.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gilbertcat wrote:Utah has played GCU in basketball. Thought it was more than once but what do I know. I found this funny:
The game against Grand Canyon will not be televised by the Pac-12[1] due to an ongoing dispute over for-profit universities competing in Division I athletics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%8 ... tball_team" target="_blank

Tempe is so lame. They seem to have forgotten about the Harden recruitment. They also try to take a moral ground( in their view) by trying to ignore the team in the Valley with the best shot at reaching the tournament.
I don't know. I can understand why ASU would be upset about schools that can use the words "profit" and "basketball program" in the same sentence.

Same general reason I figure they also object to basketball being linked to words like "champions," "attendance," "not shaving points," and "NCAA tournament."
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

asu is 100% scared of losing and that is the only reason they dont play GCU.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Entirely possible more GCU fans would show up in Tempe than Sun Devil fans.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Observations of ASU vs. Idaho State: It looks like a six foot and under game.

NAU was picked to finish last in the Big Sky but Idaho State looks brutal.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

NAU was picked 11/12.

How does ASU only have 6 scholarship players when their roster has 18 people on it?

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dude just hates his alma matre doesn't he?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Dude just hates his alma matre doesn't he?
Everything he said is true so not sure what the issue is
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASU has to be seen as the conference favorite and a final 4 team as of now. 1 seed.

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ASUHATER! wrote:ASU has to be seen as the conference favorite and a final 4 team as of now. 1 seed.
Hold your load, ASULOVER! If they dominate at McKale, you might be on to something.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Geeze, tap the brakes a little with ASU. They're a talented team with three seniors in the backcourt. A fine win at Allen. But KU just got handled by UW. They have zero depth. ASU can score the ball. But I'm curious how they plan to stop Ayton in 3 weeks. Our depth should carry us. ASU isn't gonna shoot 50% from 3 all season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

TatetheGreat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:ASU has to be seen as the conference favorite and a final 4 team as of now. 1 seed.
Hold your load, ASULOVER! If they dominate at McKale, you might be on to something.
If you look at the resume it's hard to come to a different conclusion, as terrible as it is.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Kansas as a brand is stronger than it's team. Good win, but Kansas losses to uw and asu are worse than our Bahamas trip.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

It is fair to be worried about ASU. I like that they are good. It helps Miller keep the pressure on in practice. "You are not even the best team on the state!" It also spurs the fans from being complacent. They'll need us on the 30th. ASU being good only helps us be better.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Kansas lacks size and they aren’t very quick defenders. Size would at least have given them a way to keep up with ASU’s scoring tirade in the second half, and maybe cause some foul trouble. Arizona can give ASU a different kind of game.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

It pains me to agree with this but I do. I think ASU has a potential Final Four caliber team. As of right now they're clearly the best team in the Pac 12 whether we like it or not. Can you imagine Bobby Hurley getting ASU to the Final Four before Miller? The reality exists as much as I hate to admit it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Captain Obvious wrote:
It pains me to agree with this but I do. I think ASU has a potential Final Four caliber team. As of right now they're clearly the best team in the Pac 12 whether we like it or not. Can you imagine Bobby Hurley getting ASU to the Final Four before Miller? The reality exists as much as I hate to admit it.
I just don't see it all. Yes, they could beat Arizona. Maybe even both games. But four tourney games in a row without having an off or even a regular outside shooting game and having to survive that with that defense and rebounding?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Longhorned wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
I just don't see it all. Yes, they could beat Arizona. Maybe even both games. But four tourney games in a row without having an off or even a regular outside shooting game and having to survive that with that defense and rebounding?
I emphasize potential due to the excellent points you make. Their defense is suspect at best and their rebounding is the same. With the seniors they have I believe the leadership and experience is there but only time will tell. There's lots of games to be played and teams tend to find weaknesses and tendencies to exploit. At this point ASU has the offensive power to simply outscore their opponents. Can they do the same in a half court, slower tempo game where they're forced to play defense for long stretches? It will be interesting to find out with the uncertainty of the the NCAA tournament matchups.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Remy Martin is a good sixth man but he played well above his mean today. Their three senior guards are chuckers but they push the ball and find the open man. It's not rocket science. We win by disrupting passing lanes and beating them at their own game. In half court sets, we feed Ayton. He will feast on anyone they put on him. Rawle, Zo, PJC, and BR have to stay in front of their man all game. Also, we can't give up easy transition and in-bound buckets.
Last edited by TatetheGreat on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

This game says more about Kansas than it does ASU. UW is getting blown out at home by Gonzaga. And they handled KU in Kansas City surprisingly easy. I think KU is in big trouble.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

zonagrad wrote:This game says more about Kansas than it does ASU. UW is getting blown out at home by Gonzaga. And they handled KU in Kansas City surprisingly easy. I think KU is in big trouble.
Agreed. Any team can get hot and shoot above their mean, but it says more about a team when they can't defend their home court or a nearby quasi-neutral court.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:This game says more about Kansas than it does ASU. UW is getting blown out at home by Gonzaga. And they handled KU in Kansas City surprisingly easy. I think KU is in big trouble.
What do you think the problem is? I think it's not enough size, but also not quick enough to defend a team that spreads or floor. It's hard to envision them taking advantage of teams that play bigger.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
What do you think the problem is? I think it's not enough size, but also not quick enough to defend a team that spreads or floor. It's hard to envision them taking advantage of teams that play bigger.
From looking at the box score: AssU got hot from 3 and shot a ton more FTs because Holder got fouled. AssU was out boarded, out dimed, out blocked, but Kansas had a ton of TOs, didn't get to the line and shot below average. I don't know, but it looks like a bad night for one and a good night for the other. Simplistic , I know, but sometimes that's all it is.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
From looking at the box score: AssU got hot from 3 and shot a ton more FTs because Holder got fouled. AssU was out boarded, out dimed, out blocked, but Kansas had a ton of TOs, didn't get to the line and shot below average. I don't know, but it looks like a bad night for one and a good night for the other. Simplistic , I know, but sometimes that's all it is.
I mean the overarching problem, not just today's game. And not just the fatigue from the short rotation in the second game of the week. I agree with zonagrad that something isn't right with Kansas.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I mean the overarching problem, not just today's game. And not just the fatigue from the short rotation in the second game of the week. I agree with zonagrad that something isn't right with Kansas.
This I agree with. Something isn't right with Kansas. They seemed slow and settled for too many perimeter jumpers. I think people need to give more credit to ASU's guards. They were quick and stripped the ball and jumped into the passing lanes on numerous occasions. They had energy I've never seen in a Tempe team befor. ASU was much quicker than Kansas and I'm surprised they didn't wear down at the end with only a viable rotation of 6 quality players... And bad defense, but that goes with an anti-packline defense. When Kansas got the ball down low no ASU players could be seen on the horizon.

This is turning out to be a fun season. UA vs ASU for the pac-12 championship could be in the cards. Imagine that! I never thought I'd see the day. I like it because it is good for the rivalry. AND teams can't just focus on the Cats when they travel to Arizona.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yes. And here’s something new:

What’s it going to be like for Arizona when conference teams have to focus on preparing for ASU?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I'm getting a kick out of the ASU board. They are having delusions of grandeur. People want to stop by the airport to welcome them home, like they won a 'ship. I guess they are entitled since they have the best team they've ever had. One poster was insinuating that WFA is going to be the toughest court to play in the conference. But I guess they should whoop it up now because in a few weeks they are going to be brought back down to earth.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, I just don't get how you celebrate like it's your program's best win ever over a team already coming off a loss. To another Pac-12 opponent, no less.

I mean, I'll always remember the time Arizona football won at Notre Dame, but that win wouldn't rank Top 5 in program history. Gerry Faust's teams were Charlie Weis-level bad.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASU's had a few nice wins, so credit for that, but let's not go overboard. It's not even the middle of December for Christ's sake. We've seen this drama before...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I wonder if Hurley will be at asu after this year. There definitely will be schools that will go after him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:Yeah, I just don't get how you celebrate like it's your program's best win ever over a team already coming off a loss. To another Pac-12 opponent, no less.

I mean, I'll always remember the time Arizona football won at Notre Dame, but that win wouldn't rank Top 5 in program history. Gerry Faust's teams were Charlie Weis-level bad.
To be fair, it's a win at the Phog. THAT is why it's their best win ever. And I see no reason to argue, regardless of the prior result for Kansas against UW.

13 big 12 titles, 10 (or 11, I forget) losses at the Phog now for Bill Self.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »