Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: U of A is 18 in both Ken Pom and NET.
18 and dropped 6 spots. CU is 21 and rose 9 spots.

Must win for Arizona. Only 36 at large bids.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

#excusegame

Our Excuse Game was WEAK last night, but it’s better this morning.

Although we are missing some people. *make your best JFK shooting reference here*
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I'm tempted to respond to your post, but my doctor told me I have to keep salt out of my diet.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Curious for all the people saying Miller has not won a big game in years.

Does Saturday count as a big game since Colorado is very good and ranked #20 this week?
Normally no, but this year it's literally the biggest game on the schedule due to our current circumstances. He has to sweep this week.
Yep. No more excuses. It's mid-January and our tourney bid status is shaky AF at the moment.
For fuck sake it is not

U of A is 18 in both Ken Pom and NET.

U of A is a fucking absolute lock if the tournament started today.
Those NET rankings are somewhat of a mirage at this point in the season. You have to project into those rankings the fact that we still have to play Cal (#155) and WSU twice (#126). Our rankings are not going to get any better (probably worse) just playing those teams. Should we lose a couple of more OSU type games this year we are on the BUBBLE. This weeks home games are critical. Drop one to Utah and we can start talking NIT.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RawleArenas wrote:
I think you know I was talking managing expectations based on tradition and history when it comes to UCONN and Florida. You seem to think that we are more than a one coach program because of the Arizona brand and that's ridiculous. Even Kentucky had problems with Gillespie.
Sean Miller proved we're more than a one coach brand. If there's anything we can thank the man for it's absolutely that.
RawleArenas wrote: Do you think Robbins is better Scott Stricklin? You have confidence that he can find someone to eclipse what Miller has done?
More importantly, are you willing to take a step back to take a step forward?
I'm not going to lie, I don't know how involved Robbins would be in the hire. I do know the boosters would have the most say just like they did when Sean Miller was hired.
RawleArenas wrote: Also, I don't know if you peruse this forum regularly, but there are a lot of guys here who preach Final Four or nothing at all. You may have other expectations, but many hold it against Miller.
I gotcha, but they were living in fantasy land with those expectations. The issues with Miller currently stem way outside simply not making a Final Four yet. That would totally simplify every thing.
RawleArenas wrote: How would you know if Miller's background doesn't factor into a recruits decision making? I never said it was only about his playing career, it was his whole body of work, which of course matters.
Because it really doesn't. "Does your program get a lot of attention nationally?" "Will you feature me as a player?" "What can you do to get me to the next level" These questions and questions similar to it are a million times more important.
RawleArenas wrote: Saying that UCLA has structural and financial advantages over Arizona has nothing to do with being stuck in the 1990's. It's just plain fact. Hubris and entitlement will drive away talent, and if the fans get their way we will learn about it firsthand. Those coaches turned down UCLA for many of the reasons that a lot of coaches will turn down Arizona. They know Miller is a good coach, and that they will inevitable run into the same problems that he ran into here, just like Shaka at Texas.
I'm just going to comment on the bolded part and say you're wrong. UCLA's issues are very unique to UCLA and have nothing to do with Arizona. No coach is going to turn down UCLA and Arizona for the same reason unless that reason is just liking the midwest or east coast or south better.
RawleArenas wrote: Yes, Miller was not on the hotseat when he got here. But after he started making elite eights the expectations changed, and therefore the evaluation of his performance on the court changed accordingly. If negative trends include Pac titles and 26+ wins seasons, then you're I think you just made my point for me.
No, he wasn't. Every body knew the shit show he inherited (even the casual fan). The dude had a long leash and obviously his Elite 8 run in year 2 extended that leash ten fold. He just had to show progress in the first few years, which obviously he did.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If I give our current status the best, most optimistic spin, I'd say that we still have a shit ton of league games left, with multiple opportunities for quality wins. So sure, if we beat Oregon and Colorado at McKale, we're in business. If we drop either of those two (especially Oregon), our tourney resume is dog doo doo.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:
I think you know I was talking managing expectations based on tradition and history when it comes to UCONN and Florida. You seem to think that we are more than a one coach program because of the Arizona brand and that's ridiculous. Even Kentucky had problems with Gillespie.
Sean Miller proved we're more than a one coach brand. If there's anything we can thank the man for it's absolutely that.
RawleArenas wrote: Do you think Robbins is better Scott Stricklin? You have confidence that he can find someone to eclipse what Miller has done?
More importantly, are you willing to take a step back to take a step forward?
I'm not going to lie, I don't know how involved Robbins would be in the hire. I do know the boosters would have the most say just like they did when Sean Miller was hired.
RawleArenas wrote: Also, I don't know if you peruse this forum regularly, but there are a lot of guys here who preach Final Four or nothing at all. You may have other expectations, but many hold it against Miller.
I gotcha, but they were living in fantasy land with those expectations. The issues with Miller currently stem way outside simply not making a Final Four yet. That would totally simplify every thing.
RawleArenas wrote: How would you know if Miller's background doesn't factor into a recruits decision making? I never said it was only about his playing career, it was his whole body of work, which of course matters.
Because it really doesn't. "Does your program get a lot of attention nationally?" "Will you feature me as a player?" "What can you do to get me to the next level" These questions and questions similar to it are a million times more important.
RawleArenas wrote: Saying that UCLA has structural and financial advantages over Arizona has nothing to do with being stuck in the 1990's. It's just plain fact. Hubris and entitlement will drive away talent, and if the fans get their way we will learn about it firsthand. Those coaches turned down UCLA for many of the reasons that a lot of coaches will turn down Arizona. They know Miller is a good coach, and that they will inevitable run into the same problems that he ran into here, just like Shaka at Texas.
I'm just going to comment on the bolded part and say you're wrong. UCLA's issues are very unique to UCLA and have nothing to do with Arizona. No coach is going to turn down UCLA and Arizona for the same reason unless that reason is just liking the midwest or east coast or south better.
RawleArenas wrote: Yes, Miller was not on the hotseat when he got here. But after he started making elite eights the expectations changed, and therefore the evaluation of his performance on the court changed accordingly. If negative trends include Pac titles and 26+ wins seasons, then you're I think you just made my point for me.
No, he wasn't. Every body knew the shit show he inherited (even the casual fan). The dude had a long leash and obviously his Elite 8 run in year 2 extended that leash ten fold. He just had to show progress in the first few years, which obviously he did.
I agreed with you on the hotseat part, it was just awkward phrasing on my part. I think you are balanced with you're perspective, on some other stuff I guess we can agree to disagree.

Moving forward, if Miller is given the chance, I think Akinjo is a huge addition for us. He's an NBA guard with box office skills. He'll have a year in the Miller clinic to see if he can iron out his hero ball tendencies. The problem I have with this years team is that we have two weak links that can get exposed in big games. I'm concerned about that.

We need to start winning games and get ranked again. From there by next month we can see if this team has what it takes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Zeke needs to go to the draft no matter what position he gets ANY big who stays at AZ gets worse each year, its the Zeus affect and ever since we lost Joseph Blair-helping our bigs, our bigs are now crap...
Come on dude. D Will, Zeus, Dusan, and BAsh were all much better when they left Arizona than when they first arrived.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Does it seem to anyone else like Green disappears from half the game each time?
Thursday I thought he might have gotten hurt because he was out so long.

And conversely, why was he on court in final 3 minutes last night?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is This It For Sean Miller?
posted by Jody Oehler - Jan 13, 2020

https://foxsports910.iheart.com/feature ... pYu0jkAwds" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Is This It For Sean Miller?
posted by Jody Oehler - Jan 13, 2020

https://foxsports910.iheart.com/feature ... pYu0jkAwds" target="_blank

I agree with most of that.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Had we fired him then (with cause as far as the NCAA is concerned),
Oh is that what matters? As long as the NCAA deems it as cause then we don't have to pay a $10 million buyout? Good to know.

Btw the NCAA hasn't deemed shit yet.
Money doesn’t matter? On what planet? I already told you he should be fired for on-court performance, but guess what? Pitino was put on unpaid leave and settled later. Louisville is still waiting for their Notice of Allegations. It didn’t stop them. But sure, innocent until proven guilty. For now, Miller is a victim, Book a criminal working only for his benefit, and we had no ineligible players. I’m sure the NCAA will see it that way. :roll:
Obviously you don't know how to read.
He'd get $5 million. He's not suing for the additional $5 million, while admitting guilt and never coaching college again.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
EVCat wrote:what is with this playing ASU twice in the first 6 conference games?

@ Oregon
@ Oregon St.
Utah
Colorado
@ ASU (????)
@ Washington

Then, finally, a chance to take a breath, maybe, vs the Cougs, but that is at Pullman so don't get too loose.

Gauntlet time. I see getting out of that 6 game run at 4-2 as being a positive result.
I agree and the key game for me is the OSU game. We haven't played well on the road and OSU is playing very well at the moment. I will not be surprised if we are swept this week.
OSU is playing very well? If you say so. That 49 points they put up against a 6-6 Texas A&M team a few games ago must be proof of that. Their 1-3-1 zone killed Colorado I'll give you that, but outside of their win against CU this past weekend their best win all year is against 7-6 Iowa State.
This post didn't age well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Had we fired him then (with cause as far as the NCAA is concerned),
Oh is that what matters? As long as the NCAA deems it as cause then we don't have to pay a $10 million buyout? Good to know.

Btw the NCAA hasn't deemed shit yet.
Money doesn’t matter? On what planet? I already told you he should be fired for on-court performance, but guess what? Pitino was put on unpaid leave and settled later. Louisville is still waiting for their Notice of Allegations. It didn’t stop them. But sure, innocent until proven guilty. For now, Miller is a victim, Book a criminal working only for his benefit, and we had no ineligible players. I’m sure the NCAA will see it that way. :roll:
Obviously you don't know how to read.
He'd get $5 million. He's not suing for the additional $5 million, while admitting guilt and never coaching college again.
Fairy tales are fun. Tell me more.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

RawleArenas wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:
Choo, you baited me into this discussion. It's all your fault.

It seems that the argument that you're making is that the only contribution that Miller brings to Arizona is recruiting, and that virtue in itself does all the work. And that there are a stable of coaches that could come in and duplicate or exceed what Miller has done here.

If we were talking about Pitino, Stevens, or Donovan, maybe. But there are a lot of problems with that assessment because the premise is faulty. Miller does more than just recruit at Arizona.
First of all I didn't bait you lol and second of all No, my argument was solely that Arizona recruits itself. Does the head coach matter? Sure, absolutely. You can't have a worthless schmuck in charge and to be clear while I think the road that Miller and Arizona are traveling on together should come to an end if the current course continues, I certainly wouldn't call Sean Miller a worthless schmuck. With that being said if a coach is even remotely decent at the recruiting aspect of the job he will ten fold be better at Arizona just like he would be at Kansas, Kentucky, etc.
RawleArenas wrote:And while Cronin, Self and Archie have found recruiting success at their respective upgrades, there certainly is an expiration date on the quality of recruits that a coach can bring based on his success on the court, regardless of the past or tradition. Florida is not even a basketball school and their cumulative postseason success eclipses ours (2 titles). And not one fan in Gainesville talks about how Florida (or UCONN for that matter) recruits itself. For lack of a better word, its an extremely lazy way of evaluating Miller's work.
That's a very good point. Inevitably if a coach doesn't perform at his school eventually his recruiting will suffer or at the very least he will have to adjust his recruiting strategy to be effective. Florida basketball is a bad example. Florida is a football school and always will be. Now football schools are in very good position to have good basketball programs as well due to the crazy influx of money they get from football (something Arizona doesn't have). Arizona is obviously a basketball school where the basketball players are the stars of the campus and community. At Florida the basketball players, even future pros, come second to the football players. UCONN does recruit itself honestly, but it just does it to a lesser extent. UCONN also has much more competition regionally than Arizona ever will.
RawleArenas wrote:Miller has a background as a high level player and has three gold medals as a player, assistant coach and head coach. In addition to doing less with more at Xavier which is why he chose to come here (albeit reluctantly). Those are extremely strong selling points that not even Lute can boast. That's the reason why despite our tradition, Miller has recruited better than Lute, especially considering the culture of college basketball today.
No prospective college basketball player remembers Sean Miller as a basketball player. If gold medals mattered then Lute Olson falls under the same metric where he actually won a FIBA Championship in 1986, so Lute can obviously boast plenty. Either way Miller's medals is absolutely not the reason why Miller has "recruited better than Lute." Your post was fine until that take man.
RawleArenas wrote:Also, saying that we're comparable to UCLA is just plain disingenuous. I'm born and raised in Southern California, and while Arizona has a solid tradition, the resources, location and reputation that UCLA has is off the charts. There's no comparison. Apples and oranges. They're unfortunately the victim of incompetent leadership. But when I think of UCLA I'm reminded of what Napoleon said, "Let China sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world." UCLA is a giant in hibernation.
Yep and guess what? UCLA is a job that not many big coaches want and Arizona is. So my point is far from disingenuous. We have a better program than UCLA. We have better fan support than UCLA. We make more money than UCLA. Arizona is a better job than UCLA. Let's also not forget that this UnderArmour deal isn't helping them really. It landed them their sole recruit (a 5* PG), but there's not many UA guys.
RawleArenas wrote:A book that I read about Wildcat sports said that after Lute retired, most former players that were interviewed felt that it would take 10 years before Arizona would reach the heights that it had in the past. Once the rebuild went quicker than expected, all those expectations went out the window and fans expected the very best, every year. Miller is largely responsible for that, because he is an excellent coach and program builder. But if you define yourself exclusively by Final Fours (which we continued to choke away even when Lute was here) you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I appreciate what Lute has done for Tucson and the University of Arizona. But nostalgia is a funny thing, it can be as much of a burden as it is a joy.
Derrick Williams and ironically enough Tim Floyd are largely responsible for our quick turn around. Either way Arizona under Sean Miller off the bat were in the mix for numerous high end 4* and 5* guys. Miller just didn't land them at first, but how was he even able to get in their living rooms? You think Sean Miller was such a big time name that these guys had no choice, but to listen, or do you think they wanted to hear from Arizona?

Sean Miller is a good recruiter. He's built relationships (many via promises made and kept to the detriment of the program) to get where he is today as a recruiter, but the Arizona brand is what got him in the door and helped him take off.

Arizona also doesn't need to land top 10 players to succeed. Arizona needs a guy who can develop guys ranked between 26 and 150 or so and build a program. Arizona is not Duke or Kentucky and needs to quit trying to recruit like it quite frankly and the fanbase most importantly need to be ok with that, because here you guys are fricken terrified that we won't land numerous 5* players as if they're the tell all be all of college basketball nowadays when you know damn well they're not.
Choo, I was just ribbing you about the baiting. Doesn't anybody have a sense of humor anymore?

The problem is, if supermodels are chasing you or showing interest, do you kick them to the curb even if some of them are high maintenance or head cases??? Most guys and by extension most coaches wouldn't care. The majority of coaches work their whole career to get top 10 recruits knocking on their doors. It's just not that easy to ignore them and focus on ESPN 25-100 guys. Even Mark Few has bought into this madness (I'm talking to you Jalen Suggs).

Sean Miller is a blue collar guy with great credentials. It takes a certain level of masochism to endure what he has over the past five or six years because at Arizona, good is never good enough. The point I was making about Florida and UCONN is that those programs had HOF coaches and because those programs suffered for a while after those coaches left, they are much more humble than we are. And as a result no one complains or expects Final Fours, despite the fact their records are better than ours. UCONN's doesn't recruit itself period. There are no one near the level of Richard Hamiilton, Ben Gordon, Caron Butler or Kemba Walker that has been a part of their program over the past four years or so. And I don't thin Hurley is the guy to get the job done.

Arizona is not an impermeable brand that will bring in talent regardless of the level of leadership. Like Spiff warned, we can bring in a coach who can actually show us what mediocrity really is. It's hard to have perspective when you eat steak everyday and all the fans want filet mignon. It's impossible to see our situation clearly if you're complaining about Elite Eight ceilings.

The main reason why I brought up Miller's credentials (gold medals) is because they absolutely matter. For all intents and purposes Miller was a hoops prodigy early on, was Big East freshmen of the year in a ferocious conference, and has been very successful with USA basketball, winning those medals. So when Miller sits in a recruits living room and can back up what he talks about because he's played, coached and recruited at the highest levels, they will listen. Also, it was only a year and a half ago that people said that Miller couldn't recruit at all, and that Book was the diabolical mastermind and that the Arizona brand could not recover and that we would fall into oblivion.

Arizona will never be a better job than UCLA, not by any metric. It goes way beyond revenue generated and the fan support (which people think recruits care about). There's way too many peripheral advantages to being a successful coach at UCLA. Fan support and revenues can change overnight if they hire a home run candidate. It's not even debatable. UCLA is the potential Aston Martin of college basketball. The problem with Arizona and UCLA is that fans aren't willing to acknowledge that talented coaches shy away from the programs like us, because they can't mold it into their image. UCLA wanted Rick Barnes to pay his own buyout for the privilege of coaching at Westwood. Arizona fans are the same way, thinking that what has happened to UNLV, UCLA and UCONN can't happen to us. It's just reckless hubris. We just think great coaches will line up in way that they didn't for UCLA, Florida or other programs with more money and better resources.

Mark Few is revered because he was allowed the opportunity to not coach in the shadow of a Hall of Fame coach. He was able to tinker with his system until he found what worked, with no one breathing down his neck or demanding a Final Four. That will never happen at Arizona; the minute you arrive here you're on the instant hotseat and people will criticize every aspect of your life from day one. Unless you're Donovan or Pitino, no up and comer wants to put up with that, especially the inevitable down years that come with building a program.

I will say this about Miller. He has never had a player like Pritchard or Frank Mason. And what I mean is a player that is high impact from day one, whose game does not translate immediately to the NBA and has to stay four years. That type of player has eluded him for his entire time here. Whether he gets a chance to find one, who knows.

Actually Miller did get that player, he just got him thru transfer not recruiting in TJ so he only had him for 2 years, not 4. And what do you know ...... those were the 2 best years Arizona hoops has experienced since the early 2000s.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

There has been a shift in the sport all across the board...teams like Oregon State are an anomaly and won't be as impactful in the next few years...there's already been a shift in how teams are composed and what the NBA is drawing...

Millers teams are not known to be perimeter shooters...I get it, its a low percentage shot comparatively...but the trend is demanding that change here...if our perimeter shot percentage went up just 10-15% we win most of those games we've struggled in...

Thats a pretty small change that could have a huge impact...hell ASU beat the crap out of OSU because of perimeter shooting...(the downside is if you build the entire game around it you're screwed on occasion)...

Future:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Do you have any idea how hard it is to increase perimeter shooting by 10-15%?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:Do you have any idea how hard it is to increase perimeter shooting by 10-15%?
He's not saying going up 10% from 30% to 40%, just 30% to 33% which is a 10% increase. Better shot selection, better screens, it can be done.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Do you have any idea how hard it is to increase perimeter shooting by 10-15%?
He's not saying going up 10% from 30% to 40%, just 30% to 33% which is a 10% increase. Better shot selection, better screens, it can be done.
So you hit one more three pointer every two games.

Shot 40% at Oregon but I guess if they hit 45% they would have won.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Are you guys old enough to remember when Machina hated Sean Miller?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Merkin wrote:
EXACTLY

In the Oregon game we just need one more three pointer to go in...just ONE DAMN THREE POINTER.

Or maybe a free throw or two...in regulation one more three pointer and there is no overtime...

Against OSU TWO three pointers changes the entire metric of how they defend and opens up the post...

We've never had a high percentage three point shooter who was consistent and dependable in the Miller era...

Consistent in practice gives us Gabe York...we've needed an assassin go-to-guy from three for as long as I can remember...most college teams have at least one of these guys...we have none.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Merkin wrote:
EXACTLY

In the Oregon game we just need one more three pointer to go in...just ONE DAMN THREE POINTER.
Sadly we had one... just sat on Baker's finger for a split second too long.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nico and Max should both be 10% higher.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What's interesting is that our team FG% (48.3) is actually pretty strong, tied for 14th in the nation at the moment. That's higher than Baylor, Auburn, and Butler.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote:
Thanks for clarifying this. Seriously. I was thinking same as PHX.
Makes much more sense.

I thought Hazard was supposed to be the sharpshooter.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Beachcat97 wrote:What's interesting is that our team FG% (48.3) is actually pretty strong, tied for 14th in the nation at the moment. That's higher than Baylor, Auburn, and Butler.
What is team % if you take Zeke out of equation?
I thought no he skews that a bit.
So while it’s a great percentage, I’d love to see rest of the team shoot a bit better
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hmm I get 49.5% FG with 12 players that have made a FG. If you take out Zeke its 48.03%

Chase, Ira, Christian, and Matt are all shooting 50% or better. Zeke at 66%
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Hmm I get 49.5% FG with 12 players that have made a FG. If you take out Zeke its 48.03%

Whatever the exact figure is, if we're in the 48-49% range, that's a very strong FG%. Better than 90-95% of D-1 teams.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Alieberman wrote:Are you guys old enough to remember when Machina hated Sean Miller?
Jesus Christ yes. I'm actually an adult now even tho I feel like that 14 year old who found GoAz. 18 years I've been a part of this community. Machina defending Miller is the last thing I'd ever see on these boards.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Lando05 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Are you guys old enough to remember when Machina hated Sean Miller?
Jesus Christ yes. I'm actually an adult now even tho I feel like that 14 year old who found GoAz. 18 years I've been a part of this community. Machina defending Miller is the last thing I'd ever see on these boards.
end o the world stuff happening...
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Jefe wrote:Hmm I get 49.5% FG with 12 players that have made a FG. If you take out Zeke its 48.03%

Ok
That’s better than I expected
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Postmaster wrote:

Ok
That’s better than I expected
But see Chase, Ira, Christian and Matt are not really shooting three's...thats all in the paint...Jeter's got the paint covered...we need perimeter shooters, NOW...
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think that it’s hard for a lot of players to shoot well consistently when they don’t get a lot of minutes, or consistent minutes.
Unfortunately that’s the nature of the beast.
I bet Hazard was a better shooter at UCI than he has been here
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:I think that it’s hard for a lot of players to shoot well consistently when they don’t get a lot of minutes, or consistent minutes.
Unfortunately that’s the nature of the beast.
I bet Hazard was a better shooter at UCI than he has been here
3PT % dropped about 5 points, which is to be expected. TJ McConnell never recovered his 3 point shot playing against tough competition.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ax-hazzard" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Shooting is not the issue. Only issue this team has is consistency
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Issue with Max is what he's shown on the def side. His issue with shooting is definitely the minutes and lack of volume. But those minutes and shots don't happen if you are getting pulled because of your def.

Issue is none of these PG's have been able to stay in front of their man, which is a huge issue. Baker has been the best help, but he got blown by so many times the last two games that it's hard to trust anyone to defend at all. Poor def PG's will make it incredibly hard to have a good def team imo. You can have all the length, athleticism, size in the world but if your PG is getting blown by every possession by a guy that can score and pass, you are not going to be able to play consistent good defense. TJ put the opposing PG into situations to allow the other good and even elite defenders on our team to make plays.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Surprised that his FG% is up a smidge.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Who is out, who is in?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jeter for sure, Stone in

Damn:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck man if we can’t do that right thi ga are worse than I thought.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Less minutes for Jeter is a positive.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

No posts in the Miller thread last night or today. And I swear I'm not trying to instigate anything but holy shit. Us message boarders are an odd lot, no?

Hey - did you guys see the game last night?? That was fun! :lol: :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:No posts in the Miller thread last night or today. And I swear I'm not trying to instigate anything but holy shit. Us message boarders are an odd lot, no?

Yup. Miller still has issues and one game doesn't erase five.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:No posts in the Miller thread last night or today. And I swear I'm not trying to instigate anything but holy shit. Us message boarders are an odd lot, no?

Yup. Miller still has issues and one game doesn't erase five.
Is Saturday a big game?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Saturday is a KenPom "A" game.

Thus far this season we are 0-4 in "A" games.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KaibabKat wrote:Saturday is a KenPom "A" game.

Thank you. I agree it is a big game. But I want hater to answer.

I know he is going to be a dipshit about it. Only call it a big game if the Cats lose and an average game if the Cats win.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

One of the things I appreciate about Miller is even after some tough losses he does not allow the players to go unchecked...

Case in point both the Ira Lee tech (where Miller says in postgame he told Ira his dunk was basically erased by the tech) and then the end of game where he makes the players take the shot clock count while holding the ball rather than running up points...

Most teams do not take the shot clock count they just keep jacking up shots...Millers players are told to hold the ball and they do.

I think this demonstrates respect for the other team...something Miller always represents.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:One of the things I appreciate about Miller is even after some tough losses he does not allow the players to go unchecked...

Case in point both the Ira Lee tech (where Miller says in postgame he told Ira his dunk was basically erased by the tech) and then the end of game where he makes the players take the shot clock count while holding the ball rather than running up points...

Most teams do not take the shot clock count they just keep jacking up shots...Millers players are told to hold the ball and they do.

I think this demonstrates respect for the other team...something Miller always represents.
I bet he’d have told them to keep shooting if Tad Boyle was at the other end of that handshake line.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:One of the things I appreciate about Miller is even after some tough losses he does not allow the players to go unchecked...

I bet he’d have told them to keep shooting if Tad Boyle was at the other end of that handshake line.
Tad is gonna get a T at McKale tomorrow. The only question is if it’s in the first half or second.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

PHXCATS wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Saturday is a KenPom "A" game.

Thank you. I agree it is a big game. But I want hater to answer.

I know he is going to be a dipshit about it. Only call it a big game if the Cats lose and an average game if the Cats win.

I think it’s a season defining game. Lost at home and go to 0-5 against tier 1 opponents and be -1 in the first half of the conference. I think we would be swimming up stream the rest of the year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion