Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Let’s not write revisionist history just to support your point. Lute’s players didn’t particularly like him when they were in school. He always held himself aloof from them when they traveled. Bobbi was the one to create the family culture. The respect and love came after they left.
Maybe my wife will love me after she's leaves me.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Let’s not write revisionist history just to support your point. Lute’s players didn’t particularly like him when they were in school. He always held himself aloof from them when they traveled. Bobbi was the one to create the family culture. The respect and love came after they left.
If not, there’s always the fridge. It’s kept me happy for a few years. More or less.
prh

Post by prh »

lol @ using anything Grant Jerrett said. Let's also check with Sidiki and Josiah.

We have problems for sure but that's like asking an ex-wife to break down your marriage capabilities
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Pretty sure Ziaire is OAD. Maybe use that scholarship on a guy who wants to stay in college longer?
Mentioned it a couple times, but Miller not going after Jaylen Clark is exhibit A of him just not understanding what this program is missing and what types of players he would succeed with. Hunting OnD players and not recruiting the exact type of 4-year player that would be hugely successful in Miller's system...it signals to me that Miller still just doesn't get it.
Prioritizing a fringe top 100 guy, who's pretty much a 3 point shooter only, who refuses to commit to you, although he's been cockteasing as much forever now, over Clark who is a perfect fit for every thing you do, is such a Sean Miller move.
CCC, is there a reason Clark did not even so much as get a look from UA? Is there some sort of shoe company/aau coach/handler contention that mitigated it?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:Grant Jarrett called it...

Arizona is a pit stop under miller

From point guard U to a players program to a pit stop over 12 years.
Well, it's Jerrett's fault he didn't leverage everything the program has to offer and maybe he would've turned into a promising prospect. TJ McConnell took advantage of a redshirt year and two years of eligibility and is thriving. Ask a guy like Kyle Fogg if he considers his time at Arizona just a pit-stop. Or Andre Iguodala. If you value the program and see what it can offer you long term beyond basketball you wouldn't make such a trivial comment.
It's not Arizona's fault Jerrett took shitty advice. He can badmouth the program after the fact or minimize it -- but don't tell that to guys like Damon Stoudamire, Matt Muehlebach, Reggie Geary or Corey Williams. All of those guys are part of a brotherhood that extends beyond their brief time at McKale. Is it any wonder Jerrett hasn't done shit for himself since leaving?
eoe

Post by eoe »

So much revisionism going on...

GoAzCats looked much the same (or worse) March 2005 when Mustafa Shakur was reviled more than Mannion could ever imagine and Lute was a has-been worn coach who needed to step down

Pull out two wins this season just up to this point (@ASU, @UO/vs. UO) and the narrative would like mighty different. Things are never as bad or as good as they appear.

Jeter and Hazzard are characters/personalities of their own right, the roster has been bungled, partly self-inflicted, partly out of the coaching staff's control, and the biggest unaddressed truth: this conference's talent level and performance are actually matching up for once in a long damn time, the league is tough. A record amount of Pac-12 teams will get into the NCAAs and as we have seen so many times, the ESPN/FS1 sweethearts in the ACC/BIG10/Big East remnants will once again be stunned by Pac-12 "fringe" competitors and the entire NCAA BK will once again act stunned that this league is severely under-respected.

Mannion/Green/Smith/Nnaji/Stone are a strong 5 starters and all get along great, you can't deny Nnaji's desire to win. Koloko is going to be a bigger fan fave than Ristic and Zeus combined. Lee is Lee. Brown and Akinjo are fierce competitors more akin to Sean's earlier classes). Miller has received tons of fault, deservedly so, as have the players at times, but there is certainly talent and plenty of time to turn it on and finish strong in a game for once.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:Mannion/Green/Smith/Nnaji/Stone are a strong 5 starters and all get along great, you can't deny Nnaji's desire to win. Koloko is going to be a bigger fan fave than Ristic and Zeus combined. Lee is Lee. Brown and Akinjo are fierce competitors more akin to Sean's earlier classes). Miller has received tons of fault, deservedly so, as have the players at times, but there is certainly talent and plenty of time to turn it on and finish strong in a game for once.
This wins for most optimistic post in weeks.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

eoe wrote:So much revisionism going on...

GoAzCats looked much the same (or worse) March 2005 when Mustafa Shakur was reviled more than Mannion could ever imagine and Lute was a has-been worn coach who needed to step down

Pull out two wins this season just up to this point (@ASU, @UO/vs. UO) and the narrative would like mighty different. Things are never as bad or as good as they appear.

Jeter and Hazzard are characters/personalities of their own right, the roster has been bungled, partly self-inflicted, partly out of the coaching staff's control, and the biggest unaddressed truth: this conference's talent level and performance are actually matching up for once in a long damn time, the league is tough. A record amount of Pac-12 teams will get into the NCAAs and as we have seen so many times, the ESPN/FS1 sweethearts in the ACC/BIG10/Big East remnants will once again be stunned by Pac-12 "fringe" competitors and the entire NCAA BK will once again act stunned that this league is severely under-respected.

Mannion/Green/Smith/Nnaji/Stone are a strong 5 starters and all get along great, you can't deny Nnaji's desire to win. Koloko is going to be a bigger fan fave than Ristic and Zeus combined. Lee is Lee. Brown and Akinjo are fierce competitors more akin to Sean's earlier classes). Miller has received tons of fault, deservedly so, as have the players at times, but there is certainly talent and plenty of time to turn it on and finish strong in a game for once.
Well, this is far too rational for most passionate fans ^^^^^^^^

Out the outset of the season, the expectations were sky high because of the media hype. Chase Jeter was supposed to be happy and healthy and in his fifth season, the force that got him recruited to Duke!

Devonaire Doutrive was supposed to springboard into his sophomore year and fight for time as a starter.

Back in October, nobody expected Dylan Smith to be playing 25 minutes per game.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that Arizona is where it's at. They've dropped a couple games (Oregon twice, St. John's, ASU) that they definitely should've won. All of those games went down to the last possession.

Arizona isn't the only school that hasn't met lofty expectations. Washington was picked to finish higher in the conference than Arizona.

Florida was preseason top 10. Their heralded transfer from Virginia Tech is nursing an injury.

North Carolina was preseason top 10 as well. The ACC certainly isn't the juggernaut of seasons past. Last year, Miller coached his ass off with a rag-tag team and still finished with a winning record. That ain't happening in Chapel Hill this season.

There are other programs that have severely underachieved: Texas, Purdue, Texas Tech, etc...

A lot has to go right in a season. A lot can go wrong. Doutrive, Jeter, Gettings' concussion, etc... These aren't excuses. But it hasn't been an easy path this season. A lot of little setbacks add up and can drag a team down. Arizona needs a little luck. They need to make their own luck. If 1992 & 1993 taught me anything -- even when things seem perfect, you're just one shitty game away from elimination.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
eoe wrote:Mannion/Green/Smith/Nnaji/Stone are a strong 5 starters and all get along great, you can't deny Nnaji's desire to win. Koloko is going to be a bigger fan fave than Ristic and Zeus combined. Lee is Lee. Brown and Akinjo are fierce competitors more akin to Sean's earlier classes). Miller has received tons of fault, deservedly so, as have the players at times, but there is certainly talent and plenty of time to turn it on and finish strong in a game for once.
This wins for most optimistic post in weeks.
I certainly hope it turns out to be the most prophetic post in weeks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We were just 6 points away from winning the conference.

Also, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
eoe

Post by eoe »

azgreg wrote:We were just 6 points away from winning the conference.

Also, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
Apples and oranges...One of those (1st place) was much more likely than Aunt Sheila becoming Uncle Sherman.

Then again with today’s medical apparatus, both could’ve been inches away ;)
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

eoe wrote:...and the biggest unaddressed truth: this conference's talent level and performance are actually matching up for once in a long damn time, the league is tough. A record amount of Pac-12 teams will get into the NCAAs and as we have seen so many times, the ESPN/FS1 sweethearts in the ACC/BIG10/Big East remnants will once again be stunned by Pac-12 "fringe" competitors and the entire NCAA BK will once again act stunned that this league is severely under-respected.
Good post, but I have to challenge you here. I don't think the league is all that great. There's been a ton of bad basketball played by many teams in the conference over the last few weeks, especially by some alleged contenders when ostensibly everyone should be ramping up their game. That UCLA/USC game was brutal. Our first halves against the Washington schools spoke for themselves. CU vomited all over itself after getting the inside track to the outright title. Ditto ASU. If you want to argue that teams 7-12 are better, I'll agree, but they had nowhere to go but up. Even then, perenially "up and coming" teams like OSU and Stanford continue to tread water for the most part. As for the NCAA's, I guess we'll see. You're far more bullish than I am on the league's prospects.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pop McKale wrote:
eoe wrote: As for the NCAA's, I guess we'll see. You're far more bullish than I am on the league's prospects.
There isn't much reason not to be bullish. Aside from Gonzaga and Kansas, the rest of the top 25 has been shaky AF all season, even SDSU and Baylor more recently. Oregon has a guy who is clearly one of the best players in the country, and he's a senior. And he's already shown that he can virtually win a game by himself. UCLA's been as hot as anyone the last month or so, and are a Jonah Matthews last-second 3 away from entering the postseason on a long win streak. USC and ASU both have experienced upperclassmen and offensive firepower. Colorado and AZ have been shakier.

I'd say at least two Pac teams will reach the S-16.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:
I'll ask her.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
eoe wrote: As for the NCAA's, I guess we'll see. You're far more bullish than I am on the league's prospects.
There isn't much reason not to be bullish. Aside from Gonzaga and Kansas, the rest of the top 25 has been shaky AF all season, even SDSU and Baylor more recently. Oregon has a guy who is clearly one of the best players in the country, and he's a senior. And he's already shown that he can virtually win a game by himself. UCLA's been as hot as anyone the last month or so, and are a Jonah Matthews last-second 3 away from entering the postseason on a long win streak. USC and ASU both have experienced upperclassmen and offensive firepower. Colorado and AZ have been shakier.

I'd say at least two Pac teams will reach the S-16.
Fair points and as we all know anything can happen in the tournament given the format.

I'll rephrase: eoe postulates that the biggest, or maybe most overlooked factor in Arizona's disappointing finish to the season is because the Pac-12 is suddenly much better than it's been. Relative to the last few years? OK. Like I said, though, the conference had nowhere to go but up and has been mostly garbage throughout the Miller tenure here. Relative to the rest of the college basketball? For this year, maybe, but most pundits acknowledge this is one of the weakest years for college hoops in recent memory. Just because everyone else is inconsistent or sucks doesn't absolve accountability for how things went with Arizona this season.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I'll ask her.
You go work on those suburban moms you're into, and keep listening to Kerry Perry and eating at Chauncey Social. Try to convince them all you're one of them in White Los Angeles, and just try to look cool if you accidentally head west into the other Paradise Valley.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pop McKale wrote:I'll rephrase: eoe postulates that the biggest, or maybe most overlooked factor in Arizona's disappointing finish to the season is because the Pac-12 is suddenly much better than it's been. Relative to the last few years? OK. Like I said, though, the conference had nowhere to go but up and has been mostly garbage throughout the Miller tenure here. Relative to the rest of the college basketball? For this year, maybe, but most pundits acknowledge this is one of the weakest years for college hoops in recent memory. Just because everyone else is inconsistent or sucks doesn't absolve accountability for how things went with Arizona this season.
Since the season is quickly nearing its end, and since we're entering that long stretch of the year with no hoops and very little hoops news, might as well get amped for this and next week.

Is the Pac actually better this year, or is the rest of the country just weaker? Who knows. We'll find out soon enough. I've been saying that after Kansas and Gonzaga, are there any teams you really trust to roll through the first weekend? Not me. SDSU, Baylor, Dayton, FSU...put them up against a hot league champ from a smaller conference, and they could be done very quickly. For AZ, this means that, incredibly, there's still time for them to get their shit together. Which is more likely, that we catch fire the first weekend and explode into the S-16 or that we come out flat in the first game and don't even get to the Sat/Sun game? Probably the latter. But one of these years -- just ONE! -- it's gonna go the other way, and in our favor. No one had Auburn, Texas Tech or Purdue getting as far as they did last year. Could this year's tourney be the one where everyone gets to say this about AZ? Unlikely but not inconceivable.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If Arizona loses tomorrow, do we self-Quarantine for the next 3 weeks?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:If Arizona loses tomorrow, do we self-Quarantine for the next 3 weeks?
Well, I'm set to be in Vegas on Thursday for AZ's quarterfinal game.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

CalStateTempe wrote:If Arizona loses tomorrow, do we self-Quarantine for the next 3 weeks?
CST, there is no doubt if this season had transpired 10 years ago, my loved ones would require it. Fortunately, with age comes perspective and only a couple hours will be required.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol baycat, good post.

I’m with you, bummed if we lose but ultimately won’t care the way this season has gone.

I should have been more specific, if the cats lose tomorrow, it will be their way of self quarantining from the tourney.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like other Miller teams, seems like this one is ready to call it quits too.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:I'll rephrase: eoe postulates that the biggest, or maybe most overlooked factor in Arizona's disappointing finish to the season is because the Pac-12 is suddenly much better than it's been. Relative to the last few years? OK. Like I said, though, the conference had nowhere to go but up and has been mostly garbage throughout the Miller tenure here. Relative to the rest of the college basketball? For this year, maybe, but most pundits acknowledge this is one of the weakest years for college hoops in recent memory. Just because everyone else is inconsistent or sucks doesn't absolve accountability for how things went with Arizona this season.
Since the season is quickly nearing its end, and since we're entering that long stretch of the year with no hoops and very little hoops news, might as well get amped for this and next week.

Is the Pac actually better this year, or is the rest of the country just weaker? Who knows. We'll find out soon enough. I've been saying that after Kansas and Gonzaga, are there any teams you really trust to roll through the first weekend? Not me. SDSU, Baylor, Dayton, FSU...put them up against a hot league champ from a smaller conference, and they could be done very quickly. For AZ, this means that, incredibly, there's still time for them to get their shit together. Which is more likely, that we catch fire the first weekend and explode into the S-16 or that we come out flat in the first game and don't even get to the Sat/Sun game? Probably the latter. But one of these years -- just ONE! -- it's gonna go the other way, and in our favor. No one had Auburn, Texas Tech or Purdue getting as far as they did last year. Could this year's tourney be the one where everyone gets to say this about AZ? Unlikely but not inconceivable.
While the NCAA tournament isn't a great indicator of conference strength, it would be nice to see the Pac do well. The conference beat itself up pretty good this year. Oregon had a great OOC resume. UW beat Baylor to open the season. I see the same cannibalism in the Big Ten conference but teams aren't punished like they are in the Pac.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:While the NCAA tournament isn't a great indicator of conference strength, it would be nice to see the Pac do well. The conference beat itself up pretty good this year. Oregon had a great OOC resume. UW beat Baylor to open the season. I see the same cannibalism in the Big Ten conference but teams aren't punished like they are in the Pac.
The Pac has sent one team to the FF in the past twelve years. One. That's crazy to me. On the other hand, the only Pac teams to reach the FF in the past 40 years are AZ, UCLA, Stanford and Oregon. Utah got there too but was not part of the Pac yet.

The reason I don't like Oregon's chances to reach the FF is because they've grown too reliant on PP. There are coaches out there who will know how to disrupt his game and force others to score. As good as Pritchard is, I'm not sure he's Kemba. Does Oregon have enough on that roster to overcome a poor game from Pritchard?

ASU, UCLA, USC...these teams are really hard to predict. UCLA has been the most consistent over the past month, but who's to say they won't revert back to their Jan/Feb look next week?

I hope that Sean can deliver an effective message and set a competitive tone this and next week. In a season where things have not gone as expected, it would be nice to end a high note.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Like other Miller teams, seems like this one is ready to call it quits too.
Last time we were in the NCAA tourney, I think we were down by 1 point at halftime of the first round and the starting point guard said after the game, "It felt like we were down by 20." Then they were.

In the loss to Xavier the year before that, Lauri hid from the ball on offense.

In the loss to Wichita State the year before that, only one team showed up with any will at all. Tarc asked his teammates in the huddle, "Do you have any pride?"

But things were fine before then.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:Like other Miller teams, seems like this one is ready to call it quits too.
Last time we were in the NCAA tourney, I think we were down by 1 point at halftime of the first round and the starting point guard said after the game, "It felt like we were down by 20." Then they were.

In the loss to Wichita State the year before that, only one team showed up with any will at all. Tarc asked his teammates in the huddle, "Do you have any pride?"

Dear lord. Did Tarc really say that?

Whatever...this year, Dylan Smith is going to carry this team to the FF. It's happening.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Whatever...this year, Dylan Smith is going to carry this team to the FF. It's happening.
Are you ok? You are so wishy washy on this board. This post is vastly different from your previous ones. Hot and cold all day long. I’m not attacking you, more or less concerned about your mental health. Maybe you need a break instead of Sean. (He needs one too though, at least a vacation). :lol:
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Are you ok? You are so wishy washy on this board. This post is vastly different from your previous ones. Hot and cold all day long. I’m not attacking you, more or less concerned about your mental health. Maybe you need a break instead of Sean. (He needs one too though, at least a vacation). :lol:
I retract this. Going back you’re not AS hot and cold as I was imagining. Must have confused u with someone else at some point
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:The Pac has sent one team to the FF in the past twelve years. One. That's crazy to me.....
Yes you are correct and that number is a bit crazy - but you could also say that the Pac has sent four teams to the FF in the past fifteen years. For that case you can even say the Pac has sent one team in the past three years. It's all how you look at the numbers.

Still not good enough though...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

MountainCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The Pac has sent one team to the FF in the past twelve years. One. That's crazy to me.....
Yes you are correct and that number is a bit crazy - but you could also say that the Pac has sent four teams to the FF in the past fifteen years. For that case you can even say the Pac has sent one team in the past three years. It's all how you look at the numbers.

1 out of 12 and 4 out of 60 are not great numbers. The conference has been a complete joke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MountainCat wrote:

Sorta think a healthy, strong conference would be sending a team to the FF once every 3 to 4 years, but maybe that's unrealistic. Pretty sure the ACC has done that at times.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

At the start of today's press conference, Sean was looking a little blue. Poor guy.

:lol:

(yeah they fixed it after a minute, but it was funny)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Heeke wants all pressers to be Blue Outs
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:At the start of today's press conference, Sean was looking a little blue. Poor guy.

:lol:

(yeah they fixed it after a minute, but it was funny)
Bobby Hurley is most certainly Gargemel.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I appreciate the spirit .......

The Tourney's such a pretty show
Will steal your heart away
But backstage, back on earth again
The locker rooms are grey
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ESPN: What is the biggest impact Sean Miller has had on you?

Green: Holding me accountable. ... He is not afraid to get on me. He doesn't care who you are, where you come from, he will get onto me and will do it in a way in which I can understand. Not too many coaches will really go out there to really get into a player. I respect it. At the time, it feels terrible but then when you think about it and you're able to put what he said onto the court, it comes together. I respect him a lot more for being able to have that relationship with me and it just shows that he cares about me and he wants the best for me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:ESPN: What is the biggest impact Sean Miller has had on you?

Green: Holding me accountable. ... He is not afraid to get on me. He doesn't care who you are, where you come from, he will get onto me and will do it in a way in which I can understand. Not too many coaches will really go out there to really get into a player. I respect it. At the time, it feels terrible but then when you think about it and you're able to put what he said onto the court, it comes together. I respect him a lot more for being able to have that relationship with me and it just shows that he cares about me and he wants the best for me.
ESPN: So does that mean you plan to continue your matriculation at UofA and resume working with Coach Miller to become a better all around player before moving on to the next level?

Green: Aw, hell no. After next week, it's time to find me an agent, mate (because he's Australian).
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

In other words Green really thinks Miller's an A-hole and he's right.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

One thing to consider about Miller, after talking to a couple of our more plugged in/donor types a couple of weeks ago...he hasn't gotten over this. He was the "coaches coach", the son of a coach who had a bulldog demeanor but was a builder, and did things "the right way". An ascending, youngish coach who came into Arizona and got us back to competitive in year 2, and was starting to shake the old order up with top classes. The guys I spoke with say Miller has always taken compliance seriously, and keeps detailed records to maintain an arm's length for the program. His reputation mattered...matters...to him, and he knows he isn't going to ever recover that.

So he is almost certainly pressing. I don't think it takes guys in close proximity to him to see that. He wants to fuck shit up now, to pay everyone back. He wants so badly to fix this that he could, possibly, be suffocating a young team. And he is hurt. We never consider coaches feelings, but he knows he will never get back what he had, perception wise.

He was also pretty floored by Tucson's standing behind him, and his appreciation was clear. But that seems fickle these days.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

EVCat wrote:One thing to consider about Miller, after talking to a couple of our more plugged in/donor types a couple of weeks ago...he hasn't gotten over this. He was the "coaches coach", the son of a coach who had a bulldog demeanor but was a builder, and did things "the right way". An ascending, youngish coach who came into Arizona and got us back to competitive in year 2, and was starting to shake the old order up with top classes. The guys I spoke with say Miller has always taken compliance seriously, and keeps detailed records to maintain an arm's length for the program. His reputation mattered...matters...to him, and he knows he isn't going to ever recover that.

So he is almost certainly pressing. I don't think it takes guys in close proximity to him to see that. He wants to fuck shit up now, to pay everyone back. He wants so badly to fix this that he could, possibly, be suffocating a young team. And he is hurt. We never consider coaches feelings, but he knows he will never get back what he had, perception wise.

He was also pretty floored by Tucson's standing behind him, and his appreciation was clear. But that seems fickle these days.
exactly what seems fickle? and how does it seem that way?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:[

You hear people grumbling in the stands, on social media, etc, and it has a sharper focus regarding "who's next?" The chatter about getting rid of Miller has clearly picked up among the fanbase. It's right in your face now, and some of it is people weary from all the hits the program has taken, whether deserved or not. I am not saying I don't understand it, but the fanbase has shifted some. I assume he feels it, too. I doubt he'd admit it

Overall, Tucson has been great, like i said. But there are cracks in the foundation...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He’s a good guy and I wish him all the success in his next spot, but the only person to blame for millers predicament is miller and his inability to grow as a coach, adapt to the talent around him, and is EQ skills.

With miller, I get the feeling that every problem is solved with a hammer.

If he’s “pressing a young team too much” that’s on him.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And miller won’t find the same level of success elsewhere because he no longer has his book.

Every elite team has their book. Unfortunately millers was a causality. Those coaching blood brothers are hard to replace.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:And miller won’t find the same level of success elsewhere because he no longer has his book.

Every elite team has their book. Unfortunately millers was a causality. Those coaching blood brothers are hard to replace.
I think Miller would do very well if he moved to the Big East. I think it would suit him much better.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Captain Obvious wrote:

Use some imagination. You’re not this shitty of a troll. Puts some effort in.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

EVCat wrote:

You hear people grumbling in the stands, on social media, etc, and it has a sharper focus regarding "who's next?" The chatter about getting rid of Miller has clearly picked up among the fanbase. It's right in your face now, and some of it is people weary from all the hits the program has taken, whether deserved or not. I am not saying I don't understand it, but the fanbase has shifted some. I assume he feels it, too. I doubt he'd admit it

Overall, Tucson has been great, like i said. But there are cracks in the foundation...
I guess I just don't view a fanbase that has given the guy over a decade, including amazing support after a scandal, and has grown weary of a coach that refuses to grow and adapt and learn how to expand on his potential, as "fickle".

eoe

Post by eoe »

zonagrad wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

Use some imagination. You’re not this shitty of a troll. Puts some effort in.
Some fans are pressing harder to push their narrative through than they claim Miller is pressing the players :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

I guess I just don't view a fanbase that has given the guy over a decade, including amazing support after a scandal, and has grown weary of a coach that refuses to grow and adapt and learn how to expand on his potential, as "fickle".
Ditto.
eoe

Post by eoe »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

It’s a bit irrational to openly shout for a replacement on a down year with a coach who has a top 15 all time winning percentage among coaches with an extensive past, yes, that is better than Lute as well.

Winning your conference every other year, reaching the elite eight every 3 years, and being consistently ranked in the top 25 is something very few programs can boast...

Certainly the type of recruit and program building has become more sensationalist after falling short of the final four repeatedly, but that is correctable in 2021

I just do not see any way Miller could do worse than the past couple of years knowing his prior success recruiting/coaching and I see no way we could do better with any other realistic coach. Sucking it up a couple of years, while the FBI mess is left to settle is the best recourse. Of course, I am probably way less bullish on what the Arizona “program” means than most of you. Fans delude themselves into believing a Pitino wants to come and are absolutely astounded when a Tim Floyd shows up.