Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: Sean Miller

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:23 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am
zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 am
b. Has a better track record than Miller

And that's because there isn't anyone out there who checks both of those boxes. And I think you know that.
Get off the idea of track record. Just find the best guy. In 2008 I suggested Tony Bennett to replace Lute after Tony had coached all of 40 college basketball games in his entire career.
Tony Bennett doing Tony Bennett things today that you'd want him fired for at Arizona.
Sure, why don't we talk about how Tony competes in the ACC and pulls a 4 seed AT Virginia. What did WE do again? Oh, right. Then you can bag on today's loss a bit (a loss we didn't even get a chance to have), bag on his natty a bit and make yourself look like more of a fool.

And then you can compare that with how Miller's a great coach and really finish yourself off.
Last edited by SCCats on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

My brother who lives in Portland ribs me about Miller off and on, but he also refers to Altman as Coach Covid, so I let it slide.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Without a couple lucky bounces and questionable ref calls at the end of that Final Four game against Auburn, Tony Bennett would be known as the biggest choke artist coach in NCAA tourney history.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

No he would be known along with Few and Miller as the best coaches never to have gone to a final 4. That is what they used to be called
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:50 pm No he would be known along with Few and Miller as the best coaches never to have gone to a final 4. That is what they used to be called
That game was in the Final Four.

And Few was in a final.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

SCCats wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:55 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am
zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 am
b. Has a better track record than Miller

And that's because there isn't anyone out there who checks both of those boxes. And I think you know that.
Get off the idea of track record. Just find the best guy. In 2008 I suggested Tony Bennett to replace Lute after Tony had coached all of 40 college basketball games in his entire career.
Tony Bennett doing Tony Bennett things today that you'd want him fired for at Arizona.
Sure, why don't we talk about how Tony competes in the ACC and pulls a 4 seed AT Virginia. What did WE do again? Oh, right. Then you can bag on today's loss a bit (a loss we didn't even get a chance to have), bag on his natty a bit and make yourself look like more of a fool.

And then you can compare that with how Miller's a great coach and really finish yourself off.
You knew Bennett was going to be good when he was winning at WSU the same as Kelvin Sampson. I love Bennett but he will always be the first number 1 seed to lose to a 16. Glad those kids came back the next year and won it all. If not that would be a hell of a thing for the rest of your life.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

UVA was lucky as hell to beat Purdue to reach the FF. When you have to intentionally miss a FT and get the ball back to force OT, you know you’re lucky as hell.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Next coach here can’t run pack line
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am Get off the idea of track record. Just find the best guy. In 2008 I suggested Tony Bennett to replace Lute after Tony had coached all of 40 college basketball games in his entire career.

One of the reasons why I've said you should try to propose people who are better coaches than Miller is that when you put out a name it can expose flaws.

I'm not sure what playing in the ACC has to do with some ugly tourney exits. Here's an actual fair breakdown of their coaching histories.

NC, point to Bennett.
FF, point to Bennett.
4 EE's, point to Miller.
7 S16, point to Miller.
8 R 32, point to Miller.
11 tourney appearances, point Miller.
Four #1 seeds, point Bennett.
8 conference championships, point Miller.

I'm not hating on Bennett. I'm sure some would weight the NC pretty heavily, although the UMBC loss probably also factors in to some extent, although not as much as an NC.

My point is that if you don't just blindly hate on Miller, his resume compares reasonably with Bennett. Bennett has the NC run, Miller has produced greater volume.

Which is why I've asked you to propose other candidates you think exceed Miller. When you do, we can actually discuss their performance, not just rip at someone.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 am
SCCats wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am Get off the idea of track record. Just find the best guy. In 2008 I suggested Tony Bennett to replace Lute after Tony had coached all of 40 college basketball games in his entire career.

One of the reasons why I've said you should try to propose people who are better coaches than Miller is that when you put out a name it can expose flaws.

I'm not sure what playing in the ACC has to do with some ugly tourney exits. Here's an actual fair breakdown of their coaching histories.

NC, point to Bennett.
FF, point to Bennett.
4 EE's, point to Miller.
7 S16, point to Miller.
8 R 32, point to Miller.
11 tourney appearances, point Miller.
Four #1 seeds, point Bennett.
8 conference championships, point Miller.

I'm not hating on Bennett. I'm sure some would weight the NC pretty heavily, although the UMBC loss probably also factors in to some extent, although not as much as an NC.

My point is that if you don't just blindly hate on Miller, his resume compares reasonably with Bennett. Bennett has the NC run, Miller has produced greater volume.

Which is why I've asked you to propose other candidates you think exceed Miller. When you do, we can actually discuss their performance, not just rip at someone.
You simply are not going to find any coach with Miller's resume that would leave their current situation. Anyone else that would come to Arizona is going to be a step down in terms of resume. At that point -- you're hoping and praying the new guy will be able to do what Miller did in his first few years at Arizona. Getting rid of Miller makes absolutely zero sense right now. If next year is a major disappointment despite a very good roster-- then you can make a reasonable argument that maybe it's time for a change.

Just look at how many teams with rosters far more experienced than Arizona's face-planted this March: Texas, Illinois, Virginia, Florida State, Michigan State, Ohio State. The fans that are the loudest and calling for Miller's job have no appreciation or understanding at how fickle the NCAA tournament can be.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:04 pm
Supporting women's basketball is the first thing I've been happy with that those two have done in a while.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Agreed. The women's team has been a lot of fun to watch past 3 or so years. Good that administration supports them
I said what I said and I mean it.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

anyone know what this means?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I told you guys I’m a seer.

CSM will be re-signed this week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:10 pm I told you guys I’m a seer.

Damn well better be. That way it will only be a little too late.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:48 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:10 pm I told you guys I’m a seer.

Damn well better be. That way it will only be a little too late.
It's so Arizonaesque that a little too late is the best we can expect.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
BeardownZonaZona

Isn't a little too late kinda cool??? -probably Robbins or one of the other clowns in the athletic department
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Like fashionably late?

No, it just means you are a self absorbed jackass that doesn't have any respect for others.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Would love to hear any inside info about conversations with Robbins and boosters like Cole & Jeannie Davis or Jeff Stevens.

How much leverage do they have or does Robbins even care?

Objectively, you have to realize that Arizona basketball is poised to have a strong season based on the returning roster as we know it right now, the recruits coming in, the prospect for some additional transfers and the roster make-up of Pac 12 opponents. USC, Oregon, Colorado...even ASU and OSU are losing their key contributors -- either seniors or freshmen who are OAD. And it's possible UCLA loses a few players as well the deeper they go in the tourney. At worst I would think Arizona would be a pre-season pick to finish 2nd in the Pac.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I worry about the size of our guards on the defensive end. I think that limits us somewhat. Top 3 in PAC if we reach our potential.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

If we end up with these major pieces:
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

And then include Terry, Koloko, Brown...that’s top 2 for sure.

If we can also get Eason and Tyty....that’s 1st in PAC, top 10 team...Arizona Good.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 am I worry about the size of our guards on the defensive end. I think that limits us somewhat. Top 3 in PAC if we reach our potential.
TBH, I don't worry about guard size. If we return Akinjo and Kriisa, those are our two best defensive guards. Mathurin and Terry have the physical attributes to be good perimeter defenders. I'm hoping to see growth from them.

Add Eason and I don't think too much is off limits for us potential wise.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am If we end up with these major pieces:
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

If we can also get Eason and Tyty....that’s 1st in PAC, top 10 team...Arizona Good.

Even with Eason and Tyty, if UCLA returns everyone they would be very hard to beat.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:49 am
TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 am I worry about the size of our guards on the defensive end. I think that limits us somewhat. Top 3 in PAC if we reach our potential.
TBH, I don't worry about guard size. If we return Akinjo and Kriisa, those are our two best defensive guards. Mathurin and Terry have the physical attributes to be good perimeter defenders. I'm hoping to see growth from them.

My worry is that if we are relaying on the same perimeter defenders as this year we are in trouble because we basically had a turnstile to the rim for any decent perimeter player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:47 am If we end up with these major pieces:
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

If we score all those guys, we could make a FF or win a NC.

Eason would be a huge weapon on D, which we need. But even just the core returners...if they come back, offensive firepower is not an issue. It's just how much D improves.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 am
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Even with Eason and Tyty, if UCLA returns everyone they would be very hard to beat.
If we get that group with Eason and Tyty, UCLA isn't our measuring stick. We're looking at other national contenders.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:09 am
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

If we get that group with Eason and Tyty, UCLA isn't our measuring stick. We're looking at other national contenders.
I would think UCLA is saying the same thing the other way. On paper they would be better.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:18 am
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

I would think UCLA is saying the same thing the other way. On paper they would be better.
They're going to lose guys. They lose their best player, Smith, who's a senior, and I would expect they'll lose at least two from this group: Riley, Bernard, Hill, Singleton.
BeardownZonaZona

Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Dickie V would love that
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 am They're going to lose guys. They lose their best player, Smith, who's a senior, and I would expect they'll lose at least two from this group: Riley, Bernard, Hill, Singleton.
They have some talent coming in. They may well also wind up where it isn't really about us, either.

I feel like when you're pushing top ten, top five, it's not really about how you stack up in conference. You expect to do well in conference and how you set up for the real deal is what truly matters.
BeardownZonaZona

Akinjo should be good for a similar season to this year. 15 and 5. Tubelis will be a double double guy. 15-10. If Benn can play to his potential he should be another 15. Eason plays some seller defense and Kerr shoots well from beyond the arch for us and that is a mean starting 5. Throw in Jordan Brown, Terry, and some other guard we got a good squad off the bench. Rather gonna be a transfer guard, like Jones or Tyty. That is a damn good squad. Simpson and Nowell will be nice pieces but doubt they play too much with a squad like that. I could see either of them breaking into the rotation, it'll just be tough. Nowell is a good defender and has vastly improved offensively past couple months. Simpson can score but his defense needs work. That is a world-beater team. Wow
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 am They're going to lose guys. They lose their best player, Smith, who's a senior, and I would expect they'll lose at least two from this group: Riley, Bernard, Hill, Singleton.
They have some talent coming in. They may well also wind up where it isn't really about us, either.

I feel like when you're pushing top ten, top five, it's not really about how you stack up in conference. You expect to do well in conference and how you set up for the real deal is what truly matters.
I get what your saying and two potential top five teams is great PR for the conference, which is badly needed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 am

My worry is that if we are relaying on the same perimeter defenders as this year we are in trouble because we basically had a turnstile to the rim for any decent perimeter player.
As a first note, I don't see that as a size issue. You don't need to be big to stop a straight line drive.

Mathurin and Terry should be better than they showed. Their improvement matters a lot.

Akinjo and Kerr were our two best on ball defenders last year. If we get both back, an extra year of physical development should help Kerr.
BeardownZonaZona

If our defense can improve we'll be a top tier team. If it doesn't we'll be a top 25 team, just not towards the top. Getting Eason will be immensely important for this team. Same with Tyty, he plays great defense too
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 am

They're going to lose guys. They lose their best player, Smith, who's a senior, and I would expect they'll lose at least two from this group: Riley, Bernard, Hill, Singleton.
Chris Smith is not their best player, nor do they for sure lose him. The trio of juniors in Tyger, Jaquez and Juzang is going to be very good. Add in likely one and doner Peyton Watson, Will McClendon and seniors Cody Riley and Jules Bernard and that is a really good team. If Chris Smith was to recover and play another year that team would be preseason top 10 team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:58 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am

I get what your saying and two potential top five teams is great PR for the conference, which is badly needed.
I'd rather it be like that. I liked 16-17 a lot, where Oregon, UCLA and us were all top 5 contenders all year.

It helps with tourney seeding and wins mean more. When it's a down year, conference wins mean little and losses hurt a lot.

I like winning the Pac, but I'd rather be 2nd in the Pac and set up for a deep tourney run than win the Pac against bad competition and be a first round out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So anyway, when the f are we getting some news on Miller, the supposed topic of this thread?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:16 am So anyway, when the f are we getting some news on Miller, the supposed topic of this thread?
Only God knows.

By that, I mean that Robbins may have a God complex.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

There was no mention of Sean in Heeke's weekly email so who knows
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:06 am
Chris Smith is not their best player, nor do they for sure lose him. The trio of juniors in Tyger, Jaquez and Juzang is going to be very good. Add in likely one and doner Peyton Watson, Will McClendon and seniors Cody Riley and Jules Bernard and that is a really good team. If Chris Smith was to recover and play another year that team would be preseason top 10 team.
I don't know if they will or won't, but I could see a guy like Juzang leaving to test the waters. He was a highly rated prospect who performed well this year.

With the immediate transfer this offseason, I think a lot of programs are holding their breath about guys like Riley, Singleton, Bernard and Hill. Some guys are going to want to try to improve their pro prospects by transferring to showcase themselves in a senior year. Even Smith might consider it.

This is just a really fluid offseason for everyone. It's so easy for players to move, it's like 100% free agency.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 am

As a first note, I don't see that as a size issue. You don't need to be big to stop a straight line drive.

Mathurin and Terry should be better than they showed. Their improvement matters a lot.

Akinjo and Kerr were our two best on ball defenders last year. If we get both back, an extra year of physical development should help Kerr.
Teams inverted their offense and used their size to abuse our guards. I think that will be an issue not because to straight line drives but posting those guys up. Koloko helped a lot but if you have a center that can hit a 12 foot jumper he will have to play him. I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves calling this team a top ten team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:40 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:59 am

Teams inverted their offense and used their size to abuse our guards. I think that will be an issue not because to straight line drives but posting those guys up. Koloko helped a lot but if you have a center that can hit a 12 foot jumper he will have to play him. I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves calling this team a top ten team.
If it's posting guards, I tend to be ok with that. Most teams, posting their guards is not plan A. I'd rather have a team go away from their normal offense.

Second, not many teams have more than 1 guard that's efficient at posting. So if we're in danger, have Terry or Mathurin check the guard who's dangerous in the post and we should be ok.

In conference, we allowed 49% on 2's and 36% on 3's. Both are too high. I harp on straight line drives, but I really feel like that was the core breakdown for us.

We need to be better on closeouts as a first step in improving that.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Most of those guys got us a 5th place finish in the PAC. Guys I appreciate the optimism but being a top 5 or 10 team is not really realistic. I would love it but I think Oregon has 2 of the 3 bigs in the country coming in next year. UCLA will always be tough. Let's get a coach first and then we will see. I was sad to see Baker was going into the portal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:33 pm
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Most of those guys got us a 5th place finish in the PAC. Guys I appreciate the optimism but being a top 5 or 10 team is not really realistic. I would love it but I think Oregon has 2 of the 3 bigs in the country coming in next year. UCLA will always be tough. Let's get a coach first and then we will see. I was sad to see Baker was going into the portal.
Yeah, I think that's a little closer to reality. I mean, our guys will get better, and we'll have Kriisa for an entire season. And hopefully no injuries. But some of the lofty expectations I'm seeing on here feel very optimistic.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Every player but Koloko on that list was in his first season in an Arizona uniform. 4 were freshmen, 3 from foreign countries. 1 missed the first 4 months of the season.

Add in Covid, a tourney ban midseason, Baker's season ending injury...we were 2-3 games from a top 2 finish and could easily have gotten those in a few close L's. I don't think it's unrealistic to have expectations.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm
Akinjo
Kerr
Benn
Tubelis

Every player but Koloko on that list was in his first season in an Arizona uniform. 4 were freshmen, 3 from foreign countries. 1 missed the first 4 months of the season.

Add in Covid, a tourney ban midseason, Baker's season ending injury...we were 2-3 games from a top 2 finish and could easily have gotten those in a few close L's. I don't think it's unrealistic to have expectations.
Agree. The experience factor and having a more-normal offseason cannot be undervalued. It will be big for Koloko, and all the guys that were newcomers this year. We should see big jumps from all of them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lots of good jobs opening up. Makes you wonder if Sean is at all intrigued. Texas is a really good job, if Shaka really leaves. So is Oklahoma.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:37 am Lots of good jobs opening up. Makes you wonder if Sean is at all intrigued. Texas is a really good job, if Shaka really leaves. So is Oklahoma.
I would assume Beard to Texas, but the Oklahoma job is a good one. I hope Robbins gets his head out of his ass and extends Miller. If not, he needs to get his head out of his ass and fire him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:37 am Lots of good jobs opening up. Makes you wonder if Sean is at all intrigued. Texas is a really good job, if Shaka really leaves. So is Oklahoma.
I'm sure Miller is intrigued given how he seems to be being jerked around here. I doubt anyone will hire a coach pending NCAA proceedings.