UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by MrBug708 »

SCCats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Or what I said where they have the time money to fire Alford buy that money doesn't want to give DG another hire. Ithe was his bad contract he signed off on, I doubt he makes a good one this time either. Next year he'll have 25 years in the UC system and be 66. Time to go
Now that makes more sense.

So why not fire Guerrero tomorrow?
That's not how the UC system works.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:
SCCats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Or what I said where they have the time money to fire Alford buy that money doesn't want to give DG another hire. Ithe was his bad contract he signed off on, I doubt he makes a good one this time either. Next year he'll have 25 years in the UC system and be 66. Time to go
Now that makes more sense.

So why not fire Guerrero tomorrow?
That's not how the UC system works.
If you started the process now, in a general sense what is your feel for how long it would take?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The department has money, Olympic sports are doing well, the chancellor doesn't care and he's firmly part of the establishment. He has three more years on his contract but I bet he's gone as soon as the new facility for football is up, in 16 months or so
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I just rewatched the second half and I honestly cannot believe that Alford watched the refs foul out his two centers on multiple horrific fouls with not even a peep of protest.

Sean Miller would have torn that place down brick by brick. Alford just stands there with that butthead corn-fed haircut and a stupid look on his face like he doesn't quite grasp that he's at a basketball game and that he is in fact the head coach. Shameful...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pac-12 Standings

TEAM CONF OVERALL
Oregon 9-4 20-6
Arizona 8-4 20-5
USC 7-4 18-6
Colorado 8-5 19-7
Utah 7-5 18-7
California 7-5 17-8
UW 7-6 15-10
OSU 6-7 15-9
Stanford 5-7 12-11
UCLA 4-7 13-11
ASU 4-8 14-11
WSU 1-11 9-15

UCLA Basketball: where the past is always brighter than the future. And apparently the present.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:Just watched the second half and there were some terrible calls against UCLA in that half. Parkers last 3 fouls and Welsh last 2 were not fouls IMO.

We were very fortunate last night to win. Not a team I want to see in Vegas unless it's in the final
Was nice after how bad they fisted us in the first half. Was so bad extra security walked the officials from the court into the tunnel.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dirtbags wrote:two words, bug: conference tourney.

agree with @azcat49, too. tons of garbage calls on both sides, but it is admittedly hard to argue with 16 FTAs (ucla) vs. 45 (UA) and 31 PFs (ucla) vs. 19 (UA)... although it seemed that big alf didn't really notice it until he saw the statsheet after the game.

by the looks of ucla's remaining schedule though, i could easily see the bruins going 5-2 (finishing 9-9 / 18-13 overall) from here on out; and a 3-3 record against the top 25 not including a possible win at home vs. oregon on senior weekend isn't so bad.

... or is it? you don't really ever see ucla finish at or below .500 in the conference. yikes.
Home games: Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State (four tournament teams)
Road games: Cal (tournament team), Stanford

They definitely control their own fate and have the perfect opportunity to get themselves in. 4-2 is definitely doable, but I see them splitting each of their next three series and not making it in, unless those three wins are Cal, Utah and Oregon. I know a win is a win, but they have quite a few close wins against some weak comp, they are Washington States only conference win, etc. And a lot of it is going to depend on how serious the committee takes the Pac 12. Washington are playing themselves out of the tournament. I think only 7 teams are getting in unless Washington or UCLA turn it around.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:I just rewatched the second half and I honestly cannot believe that Alford watched the refs foul out his two centers on multiple horrific fouls with not even a peep of protest.

Sean Miller would have torn that place down brick by brick. Alford just stands there with that butthead corn-fed haircut and a stupid look on his face like he doesn't quite grasp that he's at a basketball game and that he is in fact the head coach. Shameful...
Saw the same, he put his hands up in the air a couple of times.

I rewatched USC. Their head coach just leaned against the scorers table, legs crossed, as if he was watching his kids play in a sandbox...without a care in the world.

Miller going apeshit on every possession, every pass.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

rgdeuce wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Just watched the second half and there were some terrible calls against UCLA in that half. Parkers last 3 fouls and Welsh last 2 were not fouls IMO.

We were very fortunate last night to win. Not a team I want to see in Vegas unless it's in the final
Was nice after how bad they fisted us in the first half. Was so bad extra security walked the officials from the court into the tunnel.
Uh, no.

You've been on some serious KyleCollins rage rants lately
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Uh, no.

That's not unfair. We got hosed in the first half, and rather than just making better calls, the refs just flipped who was getting the stick in the second half. There were several calls where a UCLA player just tossed themselves into a defender and drew the whistle in the first half. I cannot stand those calls.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Everyone should stop complaining about officiating in the PAC. It follows a script, which is this:

Whatever happens with calls in the first half, the exact opposite will happen in the 2nd.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Everyone should stop complaining about officiating in the PAC. It follows a script, which is this:

Whatever happens with calls in the first half, the exact opposite will happen in the 2nd.
Sadly, this is true. I have gotten to the point where I expect payback calls. As soon as there's a controversial call, the next time the beneficiary breathes on the opposition...bang. My favorite is the immediate moving screen call after the team acquired the ball on a crappy call.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

MrBug708 wrote:
There have been at least four Arizona fans in here, including myself, who have directly or indirectly acknowledged that you guys got hosed in the second half. You can't have the decency to remove the homer glasses and be objective too? :lol: You're bound to get a bloop single with your trolling eventually, so keep swinging champ
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

rgdeuce wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
There have been at least four Arizona fans in here, including myself, who have directly or indirectly acknowledged that you guys got hosed in the second half. You can't have the decency to remove the homer glasses and be objective too? :lol: You're bound to get a bloop single with your trolling eventually, so keep swinging champ
Well done
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Did they beat ASU?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CBCat wrote:Did they beat ASU?
yes
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Well done
Heh
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Omg...the empty seats at Pauley tonight. Unreal.

I guess Lonzo and Leaf prefer a quieter home crowd environment.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

Thos does not look like the same team that plays against the Cats. WTH. I can't imagine being a fan of that team and the inconsistency.

Bear Down!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:Omg...the empty seats at Pauley tonight. Unreal.
I guess it's just not their super bowl tonight.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bolden is playing well. But we treated ASU like our super bowl last week
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:Bolden is playing well. But we treated ASU like our super bowl last week
You really don't get this concept do you. Just look at the empty seats in pauley
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Bolden is playing well. But we treated ASU like our super bowl last week
You really don't get this concept do you. Just look at the empty seats in pauley
The concept is stupid, that's why it's turned into a board meme.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

DG has cratered this program
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
The concept is stupid, that's why it's turned into a board meme.
A meme that is used because it's absolutely true and everyone but you agrees on, yes. This game tonight... Not a super bowl. The game in pauley in January... Absolutely a super bowl. Get with the program bud.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Keep humping that football then
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oooh, Bug-boobs has got some sand all up in that vadge! Go Utes!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

MrBug708 wrote:DG has cratered this program
10th place. Worst than the Farmer years
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

MrBug708 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:DG has cratered this program
10th place. Worst than the Farmer years
Don't like Alford.....how much longer do you think you guys keep him Mr. Bug? Actually though, DG may be the bigger problem I guess.....
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I keep hearing about the uCla job being an "elite" job, and I get it. SoCal, tradition, pay, recruiting etc....

With that said, what about all the intangibles that make that job awful? Who wants that right now? Alford needs to produce next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:I keep hearing about the uCla job being an "elite" job, and I get it. SoCal, tradition, pay, recruiting etc....

With that said, what about all the intangibles that make that job awful? Who wants that right now? Alford needs to produce next year.
Only one coach in that program's history has made the school a national contender year after year. Another coach was heading in that direction, but they fired him.

It's not an elite job, and it's not an elite program. It's an elite academic institution who was fortunate to hire John Wooden when they did.

The best evidence that UCLA is not an elite job/program: the many coaches who've turned down the job.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Olsondogg wrote:I keep hearing about the uCla job being an "elite" job, and I get it. SoCal, tradition, pay, recruiting etc....

The biggest stumbling block has generally been money and facilities. Howland took a paycut for the job. Obviously things have changed with TV money now but with the way the AD has been run, who is to say how things can been. They've been to a title game in every decade since the 60s despite financial and facility shortcomings. Harrick wasn't a big name. Howland was an up and comer and a west coast guy. Lavin was a lazy hire. So was Alford. Other names were when UCLA was more worried about finding a Wooden guy. Ironically enough, if Morgan would have just promised the job to Crum when Crum asked for it, ucla probably would have another half dozen titles.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Big news for Prince Ali:

http://www.espnfc.com/blog-fifa/story/2 ... -postponed" target="_blank
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

MrBug708 wrote:

The biggest stumbling block has generally been money and facilities. Howland took a paycut for the job. Obviously things have changed with TV money now but with the way the AD has been run, who is to say how things can been. They've been to a title game in every decade since the 60s despite financial and facility shortcomings. Harrick wasn't a big name. Howland was an up and comer and a west coast guy. Lavin was a lazy hire. So was Alford. Other names were when UCLA was more worried about finding a Wooden guy. Ironically enough, if Morgan would have just promised the job to Crum when Crum asked for it, ucla probably would have another half dozen titles.
So my buddy, a uCla grad, is mentioning some billionaire donor that would front the $$ to buy out Alford...but there is some hangup with the AD, wanting him out too.

Truth? Lies?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd say there is valid distrust in allowing Dan to make another hire
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I find that comical. I mean, the knock on Howland was that he was a good coach, who slipped in recruiting. So the AD does the opposite, getting a guy who can't coach but can pull the recruits...

Sounds like an insane fan base who can't be happy with what they have cause it ain't the 70's and it ain't Wooden.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Olsondogg wrote:I find that comical. I mean, the knock on Howland was that he was a good coach, who slipped in recruiting. So the AD does the opposite, getting a guy who can't coach but can pull the recruits...

Sounds like an insane fan base who can't be happy with what they have cause it ain't the 70's and it ain't Wooden.
What fan base?

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I find that comical. I mean, the knock on Howland was that he was a good coach, who slipped in recruiting. So the AD does the opposite, getting a guy who can't coach but can pull the recruits...

What fan base?
Pretty sure he was referring to Bug. You know...the fan "base."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

What fan base?
It was a joke.. Since UCLA has no fans... Heh...

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What?

There are few fan bases in the country as rabid as the fine folks who root for the UCLA Bruins.

But pretty good reading otherwise on the high expectations of UCLA basketball:

http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12-today/ucl ... treatment/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

What fan base?
It was a joke.. Since UCLA has no fans... Heh...
UCLA has millions of fans . . . they're all just boycotting until someone figures out how to reincarnate Wooden.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ben howland was a results oriented-hc who looked good on paper but slipped a bit in recruiting while ostensibly allowing the behavior of his players to devolve into something resembling miami hurricane football in the 80s & 90s. absolutely comical that the alford hire was to bring in a coach who was on higher ground morally, even though alf came with baggage from his iowa days, and to usher in an exciting brand of uptempo bball that would sell tix in the (then) recently reonvated pauley pavilion -- though statistically, howland's guys played at a higher place... and we are all aware of the attendance situation at pp.

during the coaching search, i seem to remember bruin fans hoisting rick pitino to the top of the wishlist so at least ucla was spared the ultimate irony of ironies of bringing in RP as an ethical hire given what has transpired under his watch at l'ville
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Each of these Pac jobs is better than UCLA:

AZ (for obvious reasons)
OR (football school so lower expectations, but great fan support and Nike)
USC (also a football school; laxer admissions requirement than UCLA; L.A. always has some of the best prep talent in the nation)

Cal, Utah, UW...at least as good as or better than UCLA.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The recruiting issue was a problem when he stopped recruiting players to fit his successful system. If he kept recruiting kids like Westbrook, Mbah a Moute, et al with the usual top LA kids, things get rolling.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Someone really, really needs to get rid of the question mark in this thread's title.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Someone really, really needs to get rid of the question mark in this thread's title.
Better?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Someone really, really needs to get rid of the question mark in this thread's title.
Better?
So much better. Lol!
MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

RC97 still trolling Arizona fans..lol
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:RC97 still trolling Arizona fans..lol
Says the 12 year plus King of trolls.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Now that's funny :)

**Unless you are Steve Alford. Then I understand the hate