Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Alieberman wrote: Is Scheer talking about Rabb?
Stupid thing to tweet if that is in response to learning that we are not getting Rabb.
I think it's a legit question. If a kid is one and done and can't bear to be away from home that one year, what about the next one when he declares for the NBA? Is he going to demand a trade to the Warriors?
It is a fair question but the timing of it reeks of sour grapes. For someone whose usefulness depends on having access to recruits, I don't think it's a smart move. Are all kids who stay close to home to go to school doomed to never leave their state in their career? It is ridiculous.

As for the "one vs four years" making a difference... some people are really stretching. What does that matter?

He's not likely to win a natty either place, although here at least it could be a pipe dream. Could he have a bigger impact at Cal and help them make the tourney? Quite possible.

I'll modify my thoughts on the matter the next time the question is posed when a local FB recruit shuns the elites to stay in Tucson, but I am not holding my breath. Did Ka'deem hold his momma's purse for 3 years? Was he afraid of competition at Oregon? Maybe he wanted his family to be able to see him play live every game for the inevitability of a professional world makes that impossible; that would deserve criticism. :roll:

I'd rather have Ashley and/or Tarc back, anyhow. That happens, I won't care at all. Even if it does not, I won't hate on the kid. His life, his choice, and chances are he'll be just fine wherever he goes.
Fans are funny, and ours are no different. But they all think they are.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On a related note, I agree with Gershon's opinion that Ashley's pro prospects would benefit from another year at Arizona, as with Solomon Hill. Maybe he can be recruited.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:On a related note, I agree with Gershon's opinion that Ashley's pro prospects would benefit from another year at Arizona, as with Solomon Hill. Maybe he can be recruited.
I would agree with that. Ashley is off the draft charts: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/ and Tarc is just barely hanging on.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Katzenfreund wrote:Could we please stop with the Stainbrook BS once and for all? Just because someone on the Internet started a rumor, it doesn't mean it's true. And there are other sources besides ESPN out there to debunk such nonsense. The guy will be out of eligibility on Thursday, Mar. 26, around 9:30 PM PT.

Matt Stainbrook

He could still give the Wildcats a lift ... works for Uber.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:How can you be the savior of a program if you are only there for one year? What a joke.
Well, he could pair with Josh Jackson, and ... oh, Rabb will already be gone.

Beats me.

Maybe that "secret" Jaylen Brown visit will unlock the mystery.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:On a related note, I agree with Gershon's opinion that Ashley's pro prospects would benefit from another year at Arizona, as with Solomon Hill. Maybe he can be recruited.
Yep. Better off with one of them, rather than a one-and-done.
Alieberman wrote: Is Scheer talking about Rabb?
Just glad Sean Elliott took a flier on a then-struggling local program.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does anyone know if Stainbrook drives for Uber?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Does anyone know if Stainbrook drives for Uber?
:lol:

No, but apparently Rondae did this shimmy last year and ...
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Has any new information actually come out yet? Or is this all speculation?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Rabb will decide what he decides. I hope that regardless of the decision, people won't embarass themselves by melting down and ripping him with the sour grape thing.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Patience is the word. Until it isn't.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Rabb will decide what he decides. I hope that regardless of the decision, people won't embarass themselves by melting down and ripping him with the sour grape thing.
They shouldn't. Miller has won almost every big recruiting battle but you can't win them all. Especially if Ashley or Trac comes back we won't even notice that we didn't get rabb if our front court is tarc, Anderson, ristic and Comanche.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Does anyone know if Stainbrook drives for Uber?
That would make a nice story. Network's wouldn't cover it though.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Harvey Specter wrote: He's not likely to win a natty either place, although here at least it could be a pipe dream.

So apparently Harvey doesn't think much of Sean Miller or the Arizona Basketball Program.

Good to know.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

If IR picks Cal, oh what could have been. But best of luck to him if he's happy.

Meanwhile.. Miller's got a big game to prep for on Saturday. Cats still dancing
and the music's getting louder.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Cuonzo Martin is a witch.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
Good luck to him. It's a weird feeling, losing out on a priority recruit, but it happens. It just hasn't happened to us in a while.

Let me qualify that, good luck to him...except when he plays Arizona. It's the player haters ball on those occasions.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Guess we will pour it on them next year just like this year. I hope Rabb enjoys watching the tournament from the couch at Coach Cuonzo's house.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Good luck to him
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nothing wrong with another good team in the conference.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: He's not likely to win a natty either place, although here at least it could be a pipe dream.

So apparently Harvey doesn't think much of Sean Miller or the Arizona Basketball Program.

Good to know.
My posting history on Miller has been pretty consistent. I have ultimate confidence and faith in him, not just when we are playing for the Final 4, or after winning a big game. I have never complained repeatedly about his "lack of an offense", stubbornness, lineup rotations, or expressed other frustrations every time we have a setback. Good luck finding a post from ME that derides him for "not being Lute".

The only way I see us as a likely national contender next season is if Kaleb and Ashley return. Considering those in the know tell us that is not happening, then I think a P12 championship and S16 appearance would make 2015-16 an outstanding campaign. If Bash and/or Zeus do return - different story with higher expectations; but in that case, we were never getting Rabb anyway.

Nice try, though. If we win it all this year, then you can pretend to have unwavering support for Coach Miller. At least until the first sign of turbulence next season.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

azgreg wrote:Nothing wrong with another good team in the conference.
yup. rising tide and such.

ivan rabb seems like a great kid, so nice get for cal. looking forward to seeing him compete at the next level.

do you think his decision is telegraphing bash and/or kaleb's plans for next year?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

84Cat wrote:
I understand that Ivan had no plans for a press conference or anything like that, so I am sure he does not mind a UA fansite operator breaking the news instead of waiting to let him do it. Others have speculated, but this is the first one I have seen stating Rabb's decision so definitively.

He is really on fire today. After broadcasting the first tweet, there really was no need for the second. But I suppose he be credited for breaking the story.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Ivan Rabb would be a great pick-up and I hope he signs with us.

But with out question, if I have my choice of keeping Bash and Tarc for their senior seasons but losing Ivan Rabb, I take the Tarc and Bash bet every day of the week and ten times on Sunday.

Rabb is great player and would love to have him, but Tarc and Bash would be much more valuable to the team overall when taken in its full context.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Good to know.
Nice try, though.
Try? What try?

I directly quoted you. No trying involved. As I said, good to know your opinion, and have it on record.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's our own fault

By humiliating Cal not once but twice, Rabb felt sorry for them.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:It's our own fault

3 times actually humiliating them.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Alieberman wrote:It's our own fault

3 times actually humiliating them.
First team since '99 in a Power 5 conference to beat a conference team three times by over twenty points each time.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

If true, really disappointing......choosing a lame CAL program over Arizona for a one and done is shocking.......I'm not convinced that Cuonzo will turn that program around at all.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Can't blame a kid for wanting to stay close to family and friends. This is why I don't get excited about recruiting. Wake me when the drama is over and someone signs on the dotted line.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Berkeley is a fine institution and a great place to be a student. So while it's not like IR is going there to earn a degree, it's perfectly understandable his attachment to a school whose shadow he's grown up in. It's a shame because he would have had a chance to win a Pac title next season with Arizona. At Cal, he'll be lucky to finish in the top four.

So if true, we're looking at being significantly weaker in our frontcourt next season. It's pretty much Anderson, Ristic, and freshman Ray Smith. It's not a terrible frontcourt. But it's a far cry from Ashley/Tarc/Rondae.

97cats has told us again and again that our four starters with remaining eligibility are gone, so it's silly to speculate about Tarc or Ashley coming back.

Here is the 2015-16 starting lineup:

PJC
Gabe (or Trier, if he's as good as some believe)
Smith
Anderson
Ristic

Get used to it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:Berkeley is a fine institution and a great place to be a student. So while it's not like IR is going there to earn a degree, it's perfectly understandable his attachment to a school whose shadow he's grown up in. It's a shame because he would have had a chance to win a Pac title next season with Arizona. At Cal, he'll be lucky to finish in the top four.

So if true, we're looking at being significantly weaker in our frontcourt next season. It's pretty much Anderson, Ristic, and freshman Ray Smith. It's not a terrible frontcourt. But it's a far cry from Ashley/Tarc/Rondae.

97cats has told us again and again that our four starters with remaining eligibility are gone, so it's silly to speculate about Tarc or Ashley coming back.

Here is the 2015-16 starting lineup:

PJC
Gabe (or Trier, if he's as good as some believe)
Smith
Anderson
Ristic

Get used to it.
Smith isn't a post player. Don't forget Comanche.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao. Great choice
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

there's also the int'l or grad xfr option if CSM really needs to fill a spot. like an alan williams (az kid) from ucsb?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Ashley or Zeus won't be drafted and Rabb isn't coming, look for CSM to talk one of those current players into coming back. And I'd much rather have a senior Anderson, senior Ashley/Zeus, sophomore Ristic than slotting a freshman in there, no matter how talented they are.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Someone has to be coming back. Makes no sense to wait that long only to choose Cal. Unless his mommy still makes all his decisions for him and she wore him down or the envelope of money got thicker
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:If Ashley or Zeus won't be drafted and Rabb isn't coming, look for CSM to talk one of those current players into coming back. And I'd much rather have a senior Anderson, senior Ashley/Zeus, sophomore Ristic than slotting a freshman in there, no matter how talented they are.
I hope you're right, Chi. I agree 100%. Gimme a senior Zeus or Ashley over Rabb. Not even close.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Someone has to be coming back. Makes no sense to wait that long only to choose Cal.
Word from a Scout poster was that he was waiting to see who was staying at Cal, not Arizona, but I'm not convinced of that.

I just don't think CSM is going into next year with a front court rotation of three people.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

This bums me out for a second. Then I think of who we have.

Lots of over-analysis on this stuff...sometimes, a decision is just as easy as having a feeling. Sometimes a tweet is just thinking out loud. I don't have a problem with Rabb or Scheer, or anything they have said/tweeted or done/decided.

I do think it is a mistake for Rabb to chose Cal, but really...if he is a one and done and off to an NBA career, the mistake, from a career perspective, is miniscule. Maybe he is a mama's boy...nothing wrong with that. He will likely be a highly paid professional, dealing with all the pressures and stresses and loss of friends/backstabbing that comes with it, before his 20th birthday. He will be growing up way too fast very soon...if he wants another year with Mom's advice and cooking and whatnot, and all it costs is where you play one year of college ball, so be it. It's not like he is picking Southern Utah State over Arizona. He will be on TV, be a star, have his home life stable for 12 more months, then move on. He values that over one year of playing for Sean Miller.

It hurts us if Zeus or Ashley is not coming back...for sure. But that's not his concern. We will just need to win it all this year, I guess.
dan

Post by dan »

Berkeley is a fabulous school and it's hard to fault anyone for accepting a free ride there, however short. A lot of "one and dones" really aren't

I get that miller really planted the flag and is determined to get the best player in California every year.

I don't feel like this really changes anything in that regard.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

If I had to take a wild guess that makes the most sense, I think Tarc is going to stay and Bash is all but gone along with SJ and RHJ.

I think Tarc values school more right now and see's the writing on the wall with his draftability. Bash on the other hand is just ready to move on and go pro wherever that takes him.

Ivan Rabb is now a footnote to me. I always felt that all along he wanted something to happen to make his Cal commit easy and clean.

Now I'm excited to see who Miller plugs into Rabbs old slot. That's what I'm most interested in now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:If I had to take a wild guess that makes the most sense, I think Tarc is going to stay and Bash is all but gone along with SJ and RHJ.

I think Tarc values school more right now and see's the writing on the wall with his draftability. Bash on the other hand is just ready to move on and go pro wherever that takes him.

Ivan Rabb is now a footnote to me. I always felt that all along he wanted something to happen to make his Cal commit easy and clean.

Now I'm excited to see who Miller plugs into Rabbs old slot. That's what I'm most interested in now.
Agree. As long as tarc comes back rabb goes from a must get to an afterthought and some freshman in cal that we will beat.

Pjc, York, Smith, Anderson, Tarc starting

Simon, Allen, Trier, Pitts, Comanche, Ristic bench.

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I hope Victor enjoys being back home in Cajun country. He would have had a huge role on next year's team.
az91

Post by az91 »

Coop Cat wrote:
The only good thing about this is that he is not picking UCLA. I do hope Tarc comes back however unlikely it may be. If not, I hope Commanche is ready to be a starter. I do not believe Ristic will be able to defend well enough to be an effective starter.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:If I had to take a wild guess that makes the most sense, I think Tarc is going to stay and Bash is all but gone along with SJ and RHJ.

Agree. As long as tarc comes back rabb goes from a must get to an afterthought and some freshman in cal that we will beat.

Pjc, York, Smith, Anderson, Tarc starting

Simon, Allen, Trier, Pitts, Comanche, Ristic bench.

ASUHater,

Ya never know but after thinking about it for a while I think the Tarc staying scenario is a real possibility. I would give a 60-70 percent chance of that happening. I think Rabb got his easy and clean moment that he was looking for to commit to Cal.

He found out through the grape vine that Tarc may be returning for his last year.

On the other hand, the return of SJ, RHJ and Bash is a complete pipe dream IMO.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Everybody thought Kentucky was losing everybody last year and 4 guys stayed and they now are stacked with talent. I'll take our chances with CSM re-recruiting our guys. Especially if we lose in the championship game like Kentucky did!
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Surprising.

Best of luck, Rabb. It would have been great to see him play for us.

I still feel great about Trier, Smith, Simon and Comanche. Plus Anderson and Allen. Different team. Not a defensive force. But still a 5 seed or better with a shot to make some noise in the tournament.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup. With the stalwarts of Nick Johnson, Stanley, rhj, Gordon, tj, Ashley all gone it remains to be seen how good we'll be on defense next year. I don't expect us to be giving up like 56 points per game like the last two years. But we'll be a team full of scorers.