Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

We need to start running the high pick and fade with Trier and Markannen. That will get good shots.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:We need to start running the high pick and fade with Trier and Markannen. That will get good shots.
Seriously. I don't know if I've seen that play EVER done...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:We need to start running the high pick and fade with Trier and Markannen. That will get good shots.
Right? Miller hasn't even run it once this year. Just like 2-3 zone.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Olsondogg wrote:Are people really still worried about how the fucking offense looks? At this point, if you want a run and gun team then you are watching the wrong program under the wrong coach.

I mean, it's been several years. It is what it is...go watch UW or uCla if you want a free flowing offense and a lack of defense. Also brace for some losses in that system.
I trust Miller to set up the whole team, he has a gift, I personally do not care what offense we run as long as we win by at least 1 point...which is all we ever need...just one point.

(Unless we are playing one of the East coast NBA wannabe d-league teams for dook or Calimari...then we need like 100)
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Right? Miller hasn't even run it once this year. Just like 2-3 zone.
It's CLEAR(ed) that I've never seen that beFOUR...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Lauri and PJC ran the high pick and roll repeatedly against CSUB to put that one away. They ran it a couple of times last night as well.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:The real question is, has anyone ever been happy with a PG under Miller? I mean, in hindsight (which is always clear of course) everyone loves TJ, but they didn't during his playing days. Even in his senior year OOC, people were questioning him and his abilities.

Before him it was Lyons, and Josiah Turner (remember the acclaim on TOS about his arrival...I do)...before that Momo Jones...

PJC is what he is. Did he have a bad year last year? Absolutely. I don't fault Miller for putting his faith in PJC based on how he sees him perform daily. People act like good/great PG's grow on trees and are available wherever and whenever...yet probably couldn't name more than a couple.

To talk on Gumby's second topic. Yes. Every year needs a whipping boy. PJC and Ristic are the frontrunners for this job this year. I predict both will have better years than what most on here are expecting.
Miller hasn't been able to consistently recruit the position. T.J. was the exception.
This statement doesn't actually make any sense. He wasn't consistently recruiting...but along came TJ and then he was?

Also based on what metric of success? Getting to the NBA? Getting to an Elite 8? Cause the team with Momo at point did that.

I just don't understand what metric of success people are looking for. People want players to be the best at their position in the nation at every position? POY's for everyone? People want regular season success so that the season is enjoyable? People want players to be in the NBA, and then successful in the NBA?

Or all of it. People want players who are the best at their position, best in the league, leading to dominance in the NCAA and then dominance in the NBA. And in the end, Miller is responsible for all that cause he watches these players in HS and should convince them to come, and convince them to perform the way that we all expect them to.

Got it.
"Consistent" means just that. Not understanding the confusion.

My statement was a simple one that others subsequently affirmed. If you rank our PGs over the last 30 years, the Miller ones -- other than TJ -- sink to the bottom. That doesn't strike me as consistently recruiting the position well. Certainly not compared with other positions. Some of the PGs who rank higher had some painful performances as underclassmen. So it's too soon to close the book on Parker.

If you think Momo qualifies as a hit at PG, then we simply disagree. Same with Lyons (a needed stopgap, but not a point guard). Pretty sure Momo drove Miller crazy as it relates to the fundamentals of playing the point. We got to an EE, but he didn't stay. I don't think Miller was all that concerned that he left.

As to whether it was lesson learned after Turner, maybe he is taking the approach that this is the one position where you explore players who are further down the high-school ratings, knowing that is the rare player who gets it right away at PG (Mike Bibby, for instance, being an outlier). What I don't see is fans adopting the requisite patience. Hence, I see a disconnect and over-the-top criticism of the current occupant of the position.

Good thread, guys. A lot to think about.
We're all wondering why can't we consistently recruit elite PGs like Lute did (Kerr, Reeves, Stoud, Bibby, Terry, Gardner). Well, ask what elite PGs out there honestly want to focus on defense over offense? PG are by definition offensive-minded. They set up the offense, control it, reset it, and direct it. They run the break. Sure defense is part of the game and being a team player is important, but an elite PG expects/wants the keys to a Ferrari offense where they have opportunities to make a lot of plays. Under Miller, everything outward about the program still screams Ferrari / Elite / Premier on paper. 1st class all the way.

What do you suppose comes to mind when an elite PG watches our offense?:
a) Ferrari
b) Miata
c) Dodge Caravan with spinner wheels

Get used to not having elite PGs
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What do you suppose comes to mind when someone sees you post?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Elite PG's demand to play in a 2-3 zone.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Olsondogg wrote:What do you suppose comes to mind when someone sees you post?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A Yugo
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Oh, and just one other tidbit on how bad that R+F post is.

We were 17th nationally in ppg last year. Other than that, we have a pathetic, punchless offense.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... 2016-04-05" target="_blank

But it was a one year thing! Except we were 18th the year before.
prh

Post by prh »

Kerr would have been a lower rated recruit than every PG Miller has brought in.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dodge Stratus.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:Kerr would have been a lower rated recruit than every PG Miller has brought in.

Wasn't Kerr's only other offer LBSU?

Believe even Lute said he wouldn't have taken Kerr just a few years later but needed a body.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good job selecting Parker at the point last night, coach.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
prh wrote:Kerr would have been a lower rated recruit than every PG Miller has brought in.

Wasn't Kerr's only other offer LBSU?

Believe even Lute said he wouldn't have taken Kerr just a few years later but needed a body.
And wasn't the point guard until he was an upperclassman. Brunkhorst before that.

JT wasn't the point until he was a senior. Same with Geary.

Damon toiled behind Othick. Blossomed the final two years.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RiseandFail's point also pretends that "defense wins championships" was a concept conceived by Miller and completely foreign to Lute, and that more than one guy on his list were great college defenders. RiseandFail is the dumbest know-it-all I have ever encountered on the internet or in real life. Not exaggerating.

edit: Did he delete his post? :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:RiseandFail's point also pretends that "defense wins championships" was a concept conceived by Miller and completely foreign to Lute, and that more than one guy on his list were great college defenders. RiseandFail is the dumbest know-it-all I have ever encountered on the internet or in real life. Not exaggerating.

edit: Did he delete his post? :lol:
The one about not being able to recruit elite PG's is still there in all its glory.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Why do we pay attention to trolls, people who insult us, TOS that most people here seem to hate? The more they are given attention is just the more reward they are looking for IMHO.

Moving on.....I am looking forward to getting a stud PG as well as breaking the FF ceiling....not in that order though. BTFD.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:Are people really still worried about how the fucking offense looks? At this point, if you want a run and gun team then you are watching the wrong program under the wrong coach.

I mean, it's been several years. It is what it is...go watch UW or uCla if you want a free flowing offense and a lack of defense. Also brace for some losses in that system.
Where'd you come up with that idea?

One post theorizing that we were subconsciously mimicking our opponents on offense?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:... "defense wins championships" was a concept ...completely foreign to Lute,
Just to nit pick, because that is what we do...

...Lute's 1980's and mostly 1990's teams were generally very good defensive teams, most notably FG% against. The 2001 team was very good defensively, but there was a real difference after Lute started winning big with the guards. But those UA/Stanford matchups in the 80's and early 90's often were between top 10 national defensive teams. We did get out and run, and maybe possessions were up a bit, but as Lakers fans from the 80's will tell you right away, you cannot run and gun if you don't defend and rebound.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller compares signee Ira Lee to Rondae, says he has 'incredibly high motor'

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-mi ... 3ded6.html" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Miller compares signee Ira Lee to Rondae, says he has 'incredibly high motor'

I like a high motor. I like the name Ira. I'm sold!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
HiCat wrote:Miller compares signee Ira Lee to Rondae, says he has 'incredibly high motor'

I like a high motor. I like the name Ira. I'm sold!
:lol:
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Pontiac Aztek
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I assume they're wondering what I look like while eating turkey doused in hot sauce while mostly nude.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Turkey doused in hot sauce, or...?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:Turkey doused in hot sauce, or...?
It's your mental picture.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:Turkey doused in hot sauce, or...?
It's your mental picture.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Miller just got punked by Butler's coach when the Butler coach switched to zone D in the last couple minutes of that game. Amazing to see a coach have another tool to pull out at the right time and use it so successfully. Highlights one of the issues I've long had with Miller (no, I'm not starting up an argument, just saying).
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

cats101

Post by cats101 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Miller just got punked by Butler's coach when the Butler coach
Agree

Well never make a final four unless the stars lineup in our favor
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So many things to say tonight, but if Miller seriously drew up a contested Kobi Simmons 3 on that final possession.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:So many things to say tonight, but if Miller seriously drew up a contested Kobi Simmons 3 on that final possession.
Kobi messed up that execution. He didn't fade off the pick open and panicked up a forced shot. There was still enough time to go to the rim to try for an and one, but he just froze and held it. It was a freshman move all the way.

I'm mad, so I won't argue the zone issue right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I fucking love this guy...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Chicat wrote:I fucking love this guy...

YES! The "full speed cross body lunge" as a way to draw an offensive foul and the "post head snap fake" were classic...and I get the feeling he ain't just whistling dixie, expect us to play Duke ball for a while and blame the fucking refs for ruining the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Nick Johnson was accomplished at throwing the head back when meeting a hedging big man. So, more of that, I guess.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Solid defense is always penalized and inferior defense with flops and gimmicks as crutches is always rewarded. It is frustrating as hell.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Solid defense is always penalized and inferior defense with flops and gimmicks as crutches is always rewarded. It is frustrating as hell.
There's only so much a defender can do. I remember an announcer using the word bail-out. That what a lot of this is. Players who wind up throwing the ball over the backboard because they aren't actually trying to score.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Really reaching the point where I'm ready for Miller to move on.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Longhorned wrote:Really reaching the point where I'm ready for Miller to move on.
That's a smart comment!!! We are down 5 scholarship players right now!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

3goggles wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Really reaching the point where I'm ready for Miller to move on.
That's a smart comment!!! We are down 5 scholarship players right now!
I know.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

:?: huh
cats101

Post by cats101 »

How many 5 stars do you need to make a damn final four
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I love CSM. You guys are nuts. I do believe that he needs more than the packline to change up the flow of the game at times. Lute took a while before he starting playing more than just man also. Sean is still one of the best young coaches in America.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

All I can say is I really, really want a second chance at Gonzaga in March with a healthy PJC (eligible Trier would be nice too). We did not play great and you could tell the lack of depth and Allen at PG hurt us a lot.

I think if we play them again we will win
michcat

Post by michcat »

My only problem with coaching in this game is that they never really tried doubling the post and it killed them all game.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

michcat wrote:My only problem with coaching in this game is that they never really tried doubling the post and it killed them all game.
Agree, he really needs to change up the d when needed!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sean Miller needs to find a way to have two actual point guards on every team from this point forward.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

One thing I can say is that the program certainly seems snakebit under his watch. Ashley in 2014, a Wisconsin who couldn't miss if it tried in 2015, Ray smith in 2016, Trier, Smith, Parker, and every thing else this year.