UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by NYCat »

UCLA recruits itself and they'll always get talent no matter the coach, why would anyone want a better X's & Os coach or borderline competent Coach at UCLA? They'd dominate
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:Willing to let UCLA win the conference and make a Final Four so they give Alford a 5 year extension.
I'd actually rather trade Alford (good recruiter, can't do much with the talent when it's on campus) for his opposite. I want a guy who recruits worse (to allow us to steal talent) but coaches better (to help our RPI instead of Alford's underachieving).
As has been discussed ad nauseum on here, we don’t need UCLA to be competitive as long as other programs are thriving. Oregon’s emergence under Altman has been great for the league; they’re our main competition for Pac supremacy at the moment. USC has some momentum, as does Stanford. UW and Utah have good coaches and should be in the mix for NCAA bids on a regular basis.

There’s one reason people talk about the Pac’s well being as somehow tied to UCLA: nostalgia. There’s this idea among some fans, mostly geriatric men in Tarzana, that the a return to the Wooden Years is right around the corner and that until that day comes, the Pac is forgotten. Tell that to Sean Miller and Dana Altman.

UCLA should hire Tyus Edney. Keep it in the family.
I reject that line of thinking. A stronger Pac is to Arizona's benefit. Years like this are a great example. We could go undefeated the rest of the way and not be a 1 seed. You have ACC teams with 7 losses getting 1 seed consideration last year because of the perception about conference strength.

UNC and Duke are less than 15 miles apart and both compete for titles at the same time. We can do the same with UCLA. I don't get why Arizona fans want final fours, but lose their testicular fortitude at the thought of UCLA being good. If we think we are a NC level program, we don't need to wuss out at the prospect of a strong UCLA.

UCLA has high potential. Getting to that potential helps the conference. There's only one Pac school I wish ill on, and it ain't UCLA. I want them to be good so that when we beat them, it matters.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:That's gotta be the nail in the coffin
If UCLA moves on from Alford, do you have a personal wish list? And who do you think will end up with the job?
Billy Donovan would be nice but I think he has enough draw to get another NBA job and I'm not sure the timing would work out. Tony Bennett would be a good hire, he proved he can win outside of his dad's shadow. Chris Mack wouls also be fantastic, though I think Louisville might make the move for him first. The Drew at Vandy is underrated IMO but probably not a good enough of a season to pass the smell test even Jaime Dixon would be a great hire. Not sure gregg Marshall gets consideration this time around. Larry krys would also be intriguing because I think he can coach and he'd have more access to talent than he does at Utah
Dixon left Pitt for his alma mater. I'm not thinking he's on the market.

UCLA should walk through broken glass to Wichita if Marshall is interested. Dude might be a bit of a jackass, but he would have UCLA in the top 10-15 every year.

I doubt Donovan wants to make the jump back to college. There have been some good jobs out there that he's hung with the sinking OKC ship over. Why stick it out in a difficult NBA situation if that isn't his future?

No clue if Bennett would give up the good thing he has going. He would be a score, but...

I doubt UCLA scores a big, big name.
Dixon would come but I doubt we kick the tires. Mack would probably be the top guy they target. The thought is, this is the year he leaves. Just depends if ucla moves quick enough. The football program hire gives me hope
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:UCLA has high potential. Getting to that potential helps the conference. There's only one Pac school I wish ill on, and it ain't UCLA. I want them to be good so that when we beat them, it matters.
UCLA has no more potential at this point than USC, UW, Stanford, even Cal. UW, Cal, and Stanford have won Pac titles. You're doing the nostalgia thing, Spiff. UCLA has some regional advantages, yes. They're in SoCal, and there are always good players coming out of that region. But as we've literally seen for decades, these SoCal players are happy to go to AZ, Kansas, UNC, and other better programs. Not even Howland could keep the best SoCal talent in town.

But there are great players coming out of the Pacific Northwest and NoCal. Saying UCLA can be good because of the talent in SoCal is no different from saying UW or UO can be good because of all the stars coming out of the northwest. You wanna know which of these schools is going to do the best? The one with the best coach. Altman is arguably the best coach in the Pac not named Sean Miller, which is why Oregon is currently better than every program in the Pac not named Arizona. UCLA has already shown the country that they can't lure a top name. They've been turned down by Few, Smart, Donovan. They can lure Steve freaking Alford, and you see how far that's gotten them. If you can't get a great coach, you're not going anywhere. And not even Lonzo Ball can save you.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Multiple posts passionately pleading why a school doesn't matter seems like it goes against the point of these posts, but your level is spin is entertaining. By all means, continue
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mark Harlan is such a asshole
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Circling the drain.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Moses Brown to ucla

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethDavisHoo ... 8276073472" target="_blank
Last edited by MrBug708 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kid from NY that Book could've dropped a couple of bags for.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The guy had offers from three schools, none good programs: Maryland, FSU, and the Pac 12 also-rans. Tells us all we need to know.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I see what you’re trying to do there, but saying Maryland and FSU aren’t good programs just makes your argument seem petty.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Local man spends countless amounts of posts trying to remind everyone that local sports team isn't important enough to post about.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:The guy had offers from three schools, none good programs: Maryland, FSU, and the Pac 12 also-rans. Tells us all we need to know.
Brown is legit. He is awkward, but a legit long 7 footer. He's a poor man's Bol Bol and we wanted Bol Bol.

This post is a great way to jinx us into 4 years of Brown dominating us.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think he's a pretty raw but you can't teach 7'1 and agility. I'm hoping he's not Bobo Morgan p.2. The amount of enthusiasm over him signing is pretty low th, but I think everyone is worried that we retain another coach because of a recruiting class. Just need to hold onto Jordon Brown and a PG and the next coach should have a lot to work with
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Back the dump truck up and shower Tony Bennett with cash. Make it rain on that motherfucker.
Give him all the money. All .... of .... it ....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Pretty sure that will be the first and last call of pretty much anyone in charge of the Morgan Center. Not necessarily DG, but he doesn't have Harlan making the shitty call for him this time. I can't imagine TB has less personality than BH, so that quirkiness shouldn't be an issue.

If Bennett leaves UVA before March 15, 2018, his buyout is $3,000,000; thereafter the buyout is $1,000,000 - with annual reductions of $250,000.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA salvaged their PG play by landing 4* Tyger Campbell
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:UCLA salvaged their PG play by landing 4* Tyger Campbell
Early congrats are in order for the upcoming Cassius Stanley reclassification and commitment to UCLA as well. UnderArmour doing some major work, good for you Bug, it's nice to have a shoe company that cares.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Thanks for the extra year *sigh*
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Regression to the mean. Bill Walton said UCLA blew it tonight by falling at ASU. Said the Bruins had a clear path to the Pac 12 title and Holiday with POY. I had total faith that was/is not going to happen. Still have to travel to the mountain schools and to USC. Alford looks like a brilliant coach when Hands is bombing 25 footers on Arizona. Not so much when those shots aren't falling.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

So does Aaron Holiday's value overtake Ayton's statistics for POTY?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

MrBug708 wrote:So does Aaron Holiday's value overtake Ayton's statistics for POTY?
on what planet does holiday provide more value than Ayton?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ayton is absolutely the best player in the league. But Aaron Holiday is the only reason why UCLA has more than 3 conference wins.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

MrBug708 wrote:Ayton is absolutely the best player in the league. But Aaron Holiday is the only reason why UCLA has more than 3 conference wins.
How many would Arizona have without Ayton???

look, I’m a huge holiday fan (he’s first team all conf) but I don’t understand the “value” comment, maybe that’s why I’m confused.

the way I see it, depending on ones definition of course, nodody provides more value to his team than DeAndre Ayton.

just my opinion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:So does Aaron Holiday's value overtake Ayton's statistics for POTY?
That would be an absolute crime that no one should be shameless enough to attach their name to.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

97cats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Ayton is absolutely the best player in the league. But Aaron Holiday is the only reason why UCLA has more than 3 conference wins.

look, I’m a huge holiday fan (he’s first team all conf) but I don’t understand the “value” comment, maybe that’s why I’m confused.

the way I see it, depending on ones definition of course, nodody provides more value to his team than DeAndre Ayton.

just my opinion
No worries, I get it if Ayton wins, won't bother me. Holiday should win it, but the chances are highly unlikely. They'll default to the best player on the best team in the league, like they did last year with Brooks.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Did he just say Holiday should win it over Ayton?

HEH!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lol. Horseshit bug. Ayton isn't just the best player on tge best team...he's the best player period.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAdevil wrote:Lol. Horseshit bug. Ayton isn't just the best player on tge best team...he's the best player period.
It’s just his usual passive aggressive trolling. My God, there’s a whole thread just for him.

Next...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAdevil wrote:Lol. Horseshit bug. Ayton isn't just the best player on tge best team...he's the best player period.
*shrugs* Last year, Fultz went #1, Ball went #2, and Brooks won POTY. Ball was First Team AA. The criteria is different year by year on who ends up winning. I don't have a problem with Ayton winning and I wasn't going to expect people here to suddenly agree with me.

Sorry everyone's on edge. Did RC97 make another bet to welch out on?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:
*shrugs* Last year, Fultz went #1, Ball went #2, and Brooks won POTY. Ball was First Team AA. The criteria is different year by year on who ends up winning. I don't have a problem with Ayton winning and I wasn't going to expect people here to suddenly agree with me.

Sorry everyone's on edge. Did RC97 make another bet to welch out on?
I notice you didn’t post this hottest of hot takes in the Ayton thread. Don’t be afraid to be bold Bug.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Why did I post an Aaron Holiday post in a thread about UCLA and not Ayton?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Why did I post an Aaron Holiday post in a thread about UCLA and not Ayton?
Oh, Ayton didn’t enter the conversation? Please excuse my confusion Bug. Could have sworn I saw you mention Holiday’s value in comparison to Ayton’s stats. As if that was all Ayton was. A stat sheet filler...

If I only knew how to scroll upward to read your post again and have my confusion rectified. Oh well! C’est la vie.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You gotta love how defensive and self-righteous he gets any time he’s clearly wrong but won’t own it.

Find me one college hoops writer who would give the award to anyone but Ayton. We’re waiting, brah.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Why did I post an Aaron Holiday post in a thread about UCLA and not Ayton?
Oh, Ayton didn’t enter the conversation? Please excuse my confusion Bug. Could have sworn I saw you mention Holiday’s value in comparison to Ayton’s stats. As if that was all Ayton was. A stat sheet filler...

If I only knew how to scroll upward to read your post again and have my confusion rectified. Oh well! C’est la vie.
Because I know Ayton will likely win POTY. Holiday was the topic, Ayton was the comparison.

Of course, had I posted something about Aaron Holiday in the Ayton thread, I'd get something similar in return. C'est la vie!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

So. let me try to get this straight, because I think I am getting confused:

Last year, Brooks got POY, and he was at least only third best, after Fultz and Ball. I think I have that right. So THIS year, Holiday should get POY because he ISN'T as good a player as Ayton. Is that actually what Bug is saying? Should the POY be the third best player?

NOW I am sure I am confused. :?: :?: :?:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Because I know Ayton will likely win POTY. Holiday was the topic, Ayton was the comparison.
See, feels like it’s about Ayton. Could be because this is an Arizona board.

PS - There is no comparison.
MrBug708 wrote:Of course, had I posted something about Aaron Holiday in the Ayton thread, I'd get something similar in return. C'est la vie!
There are no guarantees in this life Bug. Surprise us, and maybe we’ll surprise you. Or maybe not. But in that moment between hitting “submit” and the first response you will know what it is to truly be alive...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There really isn't much surprise on this board either way, it's been the same for more than a decade, only the address has changed
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:There really isn't much surprise on this board either way, it's been the same for more than a decade, only the address has changed
No matter where you go, there you are.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Holiday will get some 1st place votes, but I’d be shocked if it doesn’t go to Ayton, which it should.

Ur lone argument is WIN shares, but if u replace Ayton/ Dusan frontcourt w Pinder/ Dusan and shorten our already suspect bench ...... I don’t think we go .500 in PAC. We get at least swept by Utah and ASU, and would be lucky to split the Oregon homestand. We likely lose to Furd and USC as well. That puts us at 5-9 in conference. We likely don’t make tourney.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
97cats wrote:

just my opinion
No worries, I get it if Ayton wins, won't bother me. Holiday should win it, but the chances are highly unlikely. They'll default to the best player on the best team in the league, like they did last year with Brooks.
This logic does not apply for this conference being that Joseph Young won it over T.J. McConnell a few years back.

This conference seems to vote for who the coaches fear most in regards to stopping, therefore Deandre Ayton wins in a landslide. Unless of course the conference is full of vindictive bitter bitches, who are salty about Arizona pretty much being the daddy of the conference over the last 6 years or so and being "cheaters" (Hi Tad), which in case yes Aaron Holiday would win.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
97cats wrote:

just my opinion
This logic does not apply for this conference being that Joseph Young won it over T.J. McConnell a few years back.

This conference seems to vote for who the coaches fear most in regards to stopping, therefore Deandre Ayton wins in a landslide. Unless of course the conference is full of vindictive bitter bitches, who are salty about Arizona pretty much being the daddy of the conference over the last 6 years or so and being "cheaters" (Hi Tad), which in case yes Aaron Holiday would win.
All true. Arizona beat the shit out of Joseph Young and Oregon three times that year. None of the games were competitive. It seems like the POY narrative changes every year. Bell wasn't the best player last year but won it. TJ should have won it. Ayton is hands down the best player on the best team. I think Holi is having a great year. But to vote him ahead of Ayton ignores reality.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Take a guess at who Jon Wilner has pegged for conference POY...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/21/ ... las-vegas/" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

"Remove Deandre Ayton from the roster and Arizona still would be one of the three or four best teams in the conference."

No. Good lord. I think we wouldn't win 20 games the entire season without Ayton.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:Take a guess at who Jon Wilner has pegged for conference POY...

Everyone is out to get UA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think UA would still be a good team without Ayton. This is the Ayton and Trier take votes away from each other. Ayton should be POY but if Holiday wins it isnt a crime, it is the criteria the voters are using.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Take a guess at who Jon Wilner has pegged for conference POY...

I think UA would still be a good team without Ayton. This is the Ayton and Trier take votes away from each other. Ayton should be POY but if Holiday wins it isnt a crime, it is the criteria the voters are using.
There is no set criteria and it changes yearly with the wind.

This is the conference who didn't think Aaron Gordon deserved to be on the all-defense list. Incompetence of the highest order.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

There is no set criteria and it changes yearly with the wind.

This is the conference who didn't think Aaron Gordon deserved to be on the all-defense list. Incompetence of the highest order.
Yes and that is frustrating. But I think there are three guys who legit deserve it and if any one of the three win it it is no sweat off my back.

Ayton
Trier
Holiday
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What is the criteria that this being based on?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Edit:see choo’s post above, there is none.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:What is the criteria that this being based on?
Stats and eye test of who the clear three best players are this year.