UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Am I crazy to pick UCLA to make a decent run here - even with the extra game?? I think they can get two wins for sure & maybe even to the S16.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Am I crazy to pick UCLA to make a decent run here - even with the extra game?? I think they can get two wins for sure & maybe even to the S16.
Not crazy. They're good. They can take the Bonnies, and Florida isn't all that.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Holiday and Welsh can get this team to the S16
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm pulling for UCLA to make a run

Fuck the NCAA
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:I'm pulling for UCLA to make a run

Fuck the NCAA
This is the difference between us and them. The animosity they have towards us knows no bounds. The holier-than-thou attitude emanates from their boards like the smell of piss overwhelming a scent cake in a truckstop toilet. Despite the fact that their glory years were founded on the original sin of cheating with John Wooden. And the elitist potshots about the academics, etc, etc. It’s really puzzling. I liken it to the fact that the average American has a certain fondness for the British while conversely the British shit on America and Americans. Despite the obviously asymmetrical comparative value, importance and accomplishment level since the setting of the sun on the great Empire (Wooden’s and Her Majesty’s).

I too would like to see them make a run even though I wish their fan base would go fuck themselves with their own hubris. Bug and Bruin01 excepted.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SWEET SIXTEEN!!!
SWEET SIXTEEN!!!
SWEET SIXTEEN!!!

Then give Alford the extension he so richly deserves.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Fuck the NCAA
This is the difference between us and them. The animosity they have towards us knows no bounds. The holier-than-thou attitude emanates from their boards like the smell of piss overwhelming a scent cake in a truckstop toilet. Despite the fact that their glory years were founded on the original sin of cheating with John Wooden. And the elitist potshots about the academics, etc, etc. It’s really puzzling. I liken it to the fact that the average American has a certain fondness for the British while conversely the British shit on America and Americans. Despite the obviously asymmetrical comparative value, importance and accomplishment level since the setting of the sun on the great Empire (Wooden’s and Her Majesty’s).

I too would like to see them make a run even though I wish their fan base would go fuck themselves with their own hubris. Bug and Bruin01 excepted.
Hahahaha
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Fuck the NCAA

You do bring up some good points ByJove....any doubters just go visit their boards....I don’t anymore because lately they’re looking more like ASU boards.

Even with that, they are a DAMN good team at this point....If Holiday’s last minute regulation shot was a few inches different then our hearts would have been ripped out. That game was the most stressful game I’ve watched in a long while.

I, too, am hoping they make a run (even with Shareef’s Momma’s hurtful dumping of us for them) and make it through this weekend. After that, I’m not sure. BTFD. #EMBRACE.THE.HATE
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: This is the difference between us and them. The animosity they have towards us knows no bounds. The holier-than-thou attitude emanates from their boards like the smell of piss overwhelming a scent cake in a truckstop toilet. Despite the fact that their glory years were founded on the original sin of cheating with John Wooden. And the elitist potshots about the academics, etc, etc. It’s really puzzling. I liken it to the fact that the average American has a certain fondness for the British while conversely the British shit on America and Americans. Despite the obviously asymmetrical comparative value, importance and accomplishment level since the setting of the sun on the great Empire (Wooden’s and Her Majesty’s).
Now that's some message board poetry if you ask me. Thank you. However, I've been in many a pub in rural Britain from the 80s until now and anyone my age or older (I'm 60) basically said after a pint or three: "You Yanks are alright, you saved our bacon." That's about the highest hat tip yer gonna get.

However, the fans of the LA's Mincey Trollopes are a different bitchy batch. That ship sailed a long time ago and they just can't get over it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

At the very least UCLA has a history of greatness. Rado and especially Ute fans are fucking awful.

Literally no two worse b-ball fan bases.

Thursday in Vegas was a delight.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote: This is the difference between us and them. The animosity they have towards us knows no bounds. The holier-than-thou attitude emanates from their boards like the smell of piss overwhelming a scent cake in a truckstop toilet. Despite the fact that their glory years were founded on the original sin of cheating with John Wooden. And the elitist potshots about the academics, etc, etc. It’s really puzzling. I liken it to the fact that the average American has a certain fondness for the British while conversely the British shit on America and Americans. Despite the obviously asymmetrical comparative value, importance and accomplishment level since the setting of the sun on the great Empire (Wooden’s and Her Majesty’s).
Now that's some message board poetry if you ask me. Thank you. However, I've been in many a pub in rural Britain from the 80s until now and anyone my age or older (I'm 60) basically said after a pint or three: "You Yanks are alright, you saved our bacon." That's about the highest hat tip yer gonna get.

However, the fans of the LA's Mincey Trollopes are a different bitchy batch. That ship sailed a long time ago and they just can't get over it.
I’d agree with Dove....Almost all (one major exception) Brits I’ve met over here (a huge amount) have been very cool with us ‘Yanks’. The one exception was a Brit I worked with in ‘93 / ‘94 here in Bangkok (he was mid 40’s, I was mid 20’s at that time) with a hot Thai girlfriend my age.

A much older British lady who was dear to me explained that there were still some hard feelings from some for the Yanks stationed in England during WWII, banging all the local English girls....That was new to me and thought at the time quite interesting.

Unfortunately, I was very single at that time and while that Brit was in the hospital his girl hit on me as an ‘upgrade’ so I banged her (not my finest hour but she was hot and told me she was dumping that guy)....needless to say, when I didn’t want to settle down with her she was pissed off and went and told the Brit ......he wasn’t very happy with me or the USA after that. My bad for the damage to International relations and a lesson learned for sure!

Oh well, the errors of youth. BTFD. #EmbraceTheHate
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/iG940q9Jva0[/youtube]

Start at 4:35 . . . or watch the whole thing. They’ll definitely say nice things to your face, but when they speak among themselves they aren’t very fond of us. Which, after 11 years of living in Dubai surrounded by British ex-pats, I can tell you is rich as hell. Every annoying cliche they have about Americans describes their behavior only multiplied. Generalizing on all fronts, of course. There are some lovely Brits
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

11 years in Dubai

Man
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, my experience in Cambridge for seven weeks in '97 as my graduation present can confirm BJBJ's assessment.

Wore my national champ gear over there and got treated as the Ugly American for it. You could be sitting on a Brighton beach or taking pictures in a Greenwich museum and they'd call you out for doing that.

Culturally and historically, it was memorable. Personally, between the ASU assholes I was forced to travel with and the scorn, defiance, slight regard and contempt of the Brits, it was seven weeks better spent at home.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

catgrad97 wrote:Yeah, my experience in Cambridge for seven weeks in '97 as my graduation present can confirm BJBJ's assessment.

Wore my national champ gear over there and got treated as the Ugly American for it. You could be sitting on a Brighton beach or taking pictures in a Greenwich museum and they'd call you out for doing that.

Culturally and historically, it was memorable. Personally, between the ASU assholes I was forced to travel with and the scorn, defiance, slight regard and contempt of the Brits, it was seven weeks better spent at home.
Kansas fans are still bitter about the '97 win. I suppose 1776 was an unexpected sweet 16 knockout for the Brits. The were the UCLA dynasty at the time. America arrived just like Lute and changed the balance of power. So what's Russia? Duke? Kentucky?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:11 years in Dubai

Man
Totally. I bet there are some sweet and interesting stories.

Personally, I love Dubai, and think the Deira neighborhood is pretty cool.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Haha yeah, it was a hell of a ride. :lol: I’m going back in January—I’m probably going to teach one semester every year and spend the other 8 months in the US. The pay is just too good.

On a secondary note, watching this play-in game and the shocking lack of skill and athletic talent on display just highlights how shameful it is that Ucla is being forced to play one of these games. Unreal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s pretty unreal that they are making the 16 seeds play a qualifying game.

Like picadors at a bull fight.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Ok Alford, nice hot shooting at the start. But it’s time to tell your damn team to get welsh a fucking a touch in your set offense every position and work the ball inside out. Oh and preferably on the block instead of GG. THANKS PAC 12 supporter
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Frybry02 wrote:Ok Alford, nice hot shooting at the start. But it’s time to tell your damn team to get welsh a fucking a touch in your set offense every position and work the ball inside out. Oh and preferably on the block instead of GG. THANKS PAC 12 supporter
Thanks welsh for blowing the bunny
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

UCLA looks awful. Turning the ball over every time down the floor.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Bonnies have a larger following than UCLA. Loud AF every time they score.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

TatetheGreat wrote:Bonnies have a larger following than UCLA. Loud AF every time they score.
Something something traffic at the airport something grumble.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I’m so sorry Bug. I get frustrated at times watching Arizona. I can only imagine how frustrated you get watchin UCLA.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I heard on the radio today that a bonnies benefactor donated 10,000$ to buy students tickets and pay for bussing to Dayton. Apparently these fans are rabid, got a T in the home game against Rhode island for throwing stuff on the court after having been previously warned.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UCLA playing like fucking idiots. Where are these Bruins when they play Arizona?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Longhorned wrote:UCLA playing like fucking idiots. Where are these Bruins when they play Arizona?
Stop chucking...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alford’s streak of never preparing the Bruins to play anyone other than Arizona lives on.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:Alford’s streak of never preparing the Bruins to play anyone other than Arizona lives on.
He needs to wipe that damn smirk off his face and do some damn coaching.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Alford’s streak of never preparing the Bruins to play anyone other than Arizona lives on.
Nope, just gonna keep halfway clapping some mild encouragement and cashing checks.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Classic UCLA.

They’ll figure it out. Won’t they? They’ll probably win after the Bonnies hit a three pointer at the buzzer for the apparent game winner, but the ball wont clear the net before it bounces off one of their players’ head and back up through the hoop for no basket.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

:|
Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Nope, just gonna keep halfway clapping some mild encouragement and cashing checks.
Lol right on cue..

Clap clap clap “Hey!” Clap clap clap “lets go!” Clap clap clap
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Changing my bracket from UCLA to Florida in Rd 1.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote::|
Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Lol right on cue..

Clap clap clap “Hey!” Clap clap clap “lets go!” Clap clap clap
That’s known as an Alford in-game adjustment. He started out in a 2 clap--3 clap zone.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Dont forget Kentucky, usually
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

"This may be Alford's best coaching job"

Someone is feedind Spiro some nice talking points..
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:
Dont forget Kentucky, usually
Good call.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

They literally look like they are doing a job they aren’t being paid for. {crickets}
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:"This may be Alford's best coaching job"
The proper response is...

“That’s really not saying much.”
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

MrBug708 wrote:"This may be Alford's best coaching job"

Someone is feedind Spiro some nice talking points..
I chuckled at that.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

UCLA scored 10 points in the last 17 minutes of the half. They scored more in the first 3 minutes.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Thomas Welsh hasn't taken a FT in 5 weeks
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

MrBug708 wrote:Thomas Welsh hasn't taken a FT in 5 weeks
That should never happen. Put him on the block or at the ft line.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

These Bonnies are tenacious as fuck.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UCLA settling for jumper after jumper. Just disappointing to watch. They used to be so good in transition
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This is so ugly. I think we will pull it off anyways, but uggh
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's mind boggling that UCLA can win at McKale and take Arizona to OT in Vegas and then look like this in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MrBug708 wrote:This is so ugly. I think we will pull it off anyways, but uggh
Bug, does Allford think Welsh is only good for rebounding tonight?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I don't know what Alford thinks on much
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How many Bruins supporters not related to the players or coaches showed up in Dayton tonight?

12?