Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote:Beginning of the end?
Of the sanity of some members of this board? Maybe.

Miller uses these sort of comments in the media as a tool. Last year, it was about people who thpught they had NBA futures but couldn't play on ball defense. That's what this is.

If people think anything is ending, well, Phil Jackson and Pat Riley would have ended things a zillion times because they always used the media to manipulate their messaging.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

1) even if it is to motive the team you have to realize how poorly this looks nationally
2) even if it is is to motive, which I think it most likely is, it isn't good after the shit show in November that motivation is needed again
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I would like to see Miller use the bench as much as the post-game podium as a motivational tool - that is a message delivered directly to the player(s)....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:1) even if it is to motive the team you have to realize how poorly this looks nationally
2) even if it is is to motive, which I think it most likely is, it isn't good after the shit show in November that motivation is needed again
Is he not supposed to do something to benefit his team because of how it will look nationally? I would be angry if Miller wasn't doing everything he could to better our performance.

It is needed. We can say it isn't good, but you have to deal with what is, not what should be. At least that's how I see it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:1) even if it is to motive the team you have to realize how poorly this looks nationally
Oh no.... Dick Vitale and the rest of the talking heads at ESPN are not going to take us seriously now.

And is it good that Miller needs to keep trying to find new ways to motivate this group? No, not at all. But is it necessary? Hell, yes. Miller I'm sure is pulling his hair out wondering why this team with loads and loads of talent is unwilling to leave it all on the court.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Is he not supposed to do something to benefit his team because of how it will look nationally? I would be angry if Miller wasn't doing everything he could to better our performance.

It is needed. We can say it isn't good, but you have to deal with what is, not what should be. At least that's how I see it.
If this is the final straw thren yes do whatever it takes but but you have to realize that locally and more so nationally this is an awful look for both Miller and the players
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
prh

Post by prh »

National media is busy talking about the Ball family. Nobody cares about what a west coast coach said about his team. If it could bring us a national championship I don't care if he says something every week.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Leadership involves the carrot and stick. CSM wants to nip this recurrence in the bud after the first meltdown, so why soft-pedal a response to an old weakness? Just my guess: we show with the exact same starters but each is tethered to a 2" leash. Maybe Miller subs more frequently. We'll make some overly aggressive mistakes on Offense but overall we'll play way better Defense. For how long is the only question.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seen a couple posts about CSM not using the bench.

Note the Cats played 11 v. the Buffs, which I can't even remember the last time CSM played so many in a conference game that wasn't a blowout.

Even Barcello played 5 minutes, when it was completely obvious that the game was much too quick for him, esp. on defense where he looked like a high schooler trying to guard Kobe Bryant.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If this is the final straw thren yes do whatever it takes but but you have to realize that locally and more so nationally this is an awful look for both Miller and the players
Why? The worse look is a season that disappoints. I don't really see why this is so bad at all. Miller verbalized what talking heads would say on their own.

This public perception was coming, and Miller didn't do anything except address it before it came out independently.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Seen a couple posts about CSM not using the bench.

Note the Cats played 11 v. the Buffs, which I can't even remember the last time CSM played so many in a conference game that wasn't a blowout.

Even Barcello played 5 minutes, when it was completely obvious that the game was much too quick for him, esp. on defense where he looked like a high schooler trying to guard Kobe Bryant.

Yep. Ditto this. Not ready for prime time yet.

Bench needs to step it up.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

This team isn't just missing Book (the rah rah/build 'em back up guy), it's missing a Kevin Parrom type too. The one Coach can get all over & instead of pouting - he listens & learns & grows. Rawle is the closest we have I feel like & he's not one of the ones who needs it the most.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Beginning of the end?

Miller uses these sort of comments in the media as a tool. Last year, it was about people who thpught they had NBA futures but couldn't play on ball defense. That's what this is.
"People" = Kobi Simmons, who Miller banished from the rotation, and so doing eliminated a potent offensive weapon from his own team. Im pretty sure Kobi worked his way up from the D-League and is getting run with the Grizzlies in the NBA today?

But good thing we had that NBA player on the bench, confidence destroyed by his own coach while 11 seed Xavier kills our offense with a simple zone defense. I bet that sure taught him a lesson! :?

Players program?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

He only played 11 because he was trying to send a message to the starters that if you don't play with effort you won't play.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

DrWildcat wrote:

He only played 11 because he was trying to send a message to the starters that if you don't play with effort you won't play.
isn't that what people are saying what they want Miller to do?

I think Miller has been consistently providing minutes to Smith, Randolph, Lee and even Barcello for the sake of development. Those guys just aren't consistently stepping up.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bordercat wrote: I think Miller has been consistently providing minutes to Smith, Randolph, Lee and even Barcello for the sake of development. Those guys just aren't consistently stepping up.
I really had high hopes on Lee based on the stellar early season performances, but he has regressed so much Pinder is back ahead of him in the rotation.

Barcello, supposedly the best shooter on the team, has not made a FG since 12/18/17 against ND State.

Nice to see Akot get more minutes, hopefully his knees are holding up.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Bordercat wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

I think Miller has been consistently providing minutes to Smith, Randolph, Lee and even Barcello for the sake of development. Those guys just aren't consistently stepping up.
Sure, it would be good to develop a bench but IMO the bench has looked lost, especially on defense. Smith and Randolph can hit some outside shots but really haven't provided anything else at this point. Lee tries hard but seems to commit a foul on every play. I'm convinced Barcello only plays to give PJC some rest.

Maybe the lack of development is on Miller. At the same time, I haven't really seen much to suggest the potential is there for any bench player to have a big impact this year. Hopefully that will change.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
Bordercat wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:

Sure, it would be good to develop a bench but IMO the bench has looked lost, especially on defense. Smith and Randolph can hit some outside shots but really haven't provided anything else at this point. Lee tries hard but seems to commit a foul on every play. I'm convinced Barcello only plays to give PJC some rest.

Maybe the lack of development is on Miller. At the same time, I haven't really seen much to suggest the potential is there for any bench player to have a big impact this year. Hopefully that will change.
I think we developed noticeably to ASU. We were great in the first half vs Utah. Then...we regressed badly.

I'm not so sure the young guys aren't developing so much as they're getting beat out by vets and we don't have a margin for error that allows Miller to go deep. If we were winning by 30, Akot, Randolph and Lee would be playing more. The tighter games, not so much.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

How it looks nationally? Losing to Colorado is what is seen nationally...not how a coach in Tucson reacts. This coach has done the same thing for years...and still gets top recruiting classes. So what is this national impact, again? Kevin Parrom has seen it. Zeus saw it. Please with the "how does it look nationally?" It looks like a coach exasperated with a team that has the talent to beat everyone and isn't performing like they should the entire game. We can get down 20, focus, run zone offense, utilize Ayton at the high post, kill the zone...for 3 or 4 possessions. Then we are back to stats games. Then we fall back down 14 and back to paying attention, using our talent superiority at every position to crush the lead down, then we got back in the game so it's open gym again, and so forth.

I turned to my wife after PJC missed the (good shot, bad execution) 3 that would have tied and said "I hope this team doesn't think they have accomplished anything yet...all they have done is play to being 3 down on the road halfway through the 2nd half". But we proceeded to let down. And I am not expecting iron men at altitude...I get our rotation is tight and they get tired. But I am talking easy stuff like not going with a cutter when the center is guarding up on the elbow and can't help...layup. Or getting showy defensive up in the face of a guy killing you and letting him kill you again for a layup instead of giving a step and defending like you do down 20.

These are the problems...focus on doing what is best for the team. Respecting every possession. The talent? My God...you saw it when we fell down 20. Miller is right...he isn't reaching these kids. He is putting the blame on himself, but there has to be some blame on the players. I give Ayton and Alkins passes. Their mistakes happen, but rarely seem to be of the mental kind (sometimes you get forced into making a bad pass. Alkins made a bad mental error late against Utah, but recovered).

But you can see it. Minus having a limited bench, we crush other teams at every position. And these guys are in shape to play 40 minutes each. So the bench thing is, IMO, overstated. Our best teams under Miller have been tight. We have to play like every possession matters, and we simply don't. Chalk it up to inexperience, (yeah) bad luck, ju ju, coaching, AAU systems, the weather, the time of day...but that is the principal problem here. The 5 we have on the floor at any time can beat the 5 we are playing from here on out, maybe all the way up to the finals, by playing well for 40 minutes. But they don't.

And Miller is trying to create some sense of urgency, something to cut through any satisfaction held by coming back and getting back in it after being down 20. He has played all the cards....so in so is the greatest, we practiced well, it's coming together, praise, praise. Praise for opponents. Coachspeak. He hit the wall Saturday. But that dude is so fucking calculated...he knows exactly why he is saying those things. No one caught him rambling. Will it work?

Who knows. But the last thing I care about is how the nation takes it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Development takes time. Sometimes multiple seasons. But Arizona isn't program that has the patience. And sometimes neither do the players. I think Kobe Simmons would've developed nicely by now. And Randolph, Akot and Barcello all will in due time. Take a look at how shitty Duke's frosh play defense. It takes time. If we had an elite point guard, I think we'd have more blowout opportunities to play the frosh more significant minutes. Miller wants to play them but also doesn't want to sacrifice wins. That's essentially what happened in the Bahamas with Rawle out.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RiseAndFire wrote: Im pretty sure Kobi worked his way up from the D-League and is getting run with the Grizzlies in the NBA today?
yes he is
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

I could see Miller losing the team since he's a defense micromanager; defense dictates every minute played, added with him pointing the finger at "effort" after every "bad game" (read: players fault)

Combine that with a mid-major offense allergic to fast breaks which often struggles vs a simple zone and you have a recipe for players tuning out
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Mid majors commonly have dynamic motion offenses.

Do you think the defensive effort was fine against Colorado, or the other losses in November?
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

zonagrad wrote:Development takes time. Sometimes multiple seasons. But Arizona isn't program that has the patience. And sometimes neither do the players. I think Kobe Simmons would've developed nicely by now. And Randolph, Akot and Barcello all will in due time. Take a look at how shitty Duke's frosh play defense. It takes time. If we had an elite point guard, I think we'd have more blowout opportunities to play the frosh more significant minutes. Miller wants to play them but also doesn't want to sacrifice wins. That's essentially what happened in the Bahamas with Rawle out.
lot of very good points here.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:Mid majors commonly have dynamic motion offenses.

Do you think the defensive effort was fine against Colorado, or the other losses in November?
It's funny you mention mid majors. I think Sean Elite Eight Miller has still coaches with a mid major mindset.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:I could see Miller losing the team since he's a defense micromanager; defense dictates every minute played, added with him pointing the finger at "effort" after every "bad game" (read: players fault)

Combine that with a mid-major offense allergic to fast breaks which often struggles vs a simple zone and you have a recipe for players tuning out
So it's bad for a coach to push his team to address any shortcomings?

On pointing the finger, Miller literally said the Bahamas losses were "on me." An anti-Miller agenda is easier when you just ignore facts, I guess.

On offense... :roll:

At least it was funny when you trolled about zone.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

just watched his presser. Coach is locked in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Miller is a witch. And this year, ain’t no house getting dropped on this witch.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

A contrary view. I liked CSM's comments a lot and believe they indicate how expertly he's handling our developing team. Expertly and professionally.

Strong management critically involves addressing adversity crisply. And quickly, so you can quickly
get back to moving toward your goals----in this case a deep run in the big tournament. How to address adversity, in our case effort and focus?

Confrontation and taking responsibility. Coach spit out the truth to our players in a public forum(he's undoubtedly expressed the same things to his team privately); then took full personal responsibility for the results. Professional and powerful.

Our players got a message. They'll respect Coach for his truth.

Now I''ll get off my pedantry shit.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

This is where a team can grow. Coach believes in his guys. They have to take ownership. If they don't, they won't play. Gonna be a good weekend at McKale.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EOCT wrote:A contrary view. I liked CSM's comments a lot and believe they indicate how expertly he's handling our developing team. Expertly and professionally.

Strong management critically involves addressing adversity crisply. And quickly, so you can quickly
get back to moving toward your goals----in this case a deep run in the big tournament. How to address adversity, in our case effort and focus?

Confrontation and taking responsibility. Coach spit out the truth to our players in a public forum(he's undoubtedly expressed the same things to his team privately); then took full personal responsibility for the results. Professional and powerful.

I'm with you 100% on that, EOCT.
prh

Post by prh »

Calipari calls out his players every halftime....and we're concerned about Miller doing it one time? Come on now
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Machina is worried about how our basketball team is being perceived nationally because of some coachspeak when our football coach just basically got fired for sexual harassment?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EOCT wrote:A contrary view. I liked CSM's comments a lot and believe they indicate how expertly he's handling our developing team. Expertly and professionally.

Man I really really hope you're right on this one. :!:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's not contrary to my thoughts. As I posted, I have no doubt Miller chose his words carefully. I do not understand why it's an issue to state an issue plainly.

Does anyone doubt it's true?

I have always believed the first step to any solution is a correct identification of the problem. Miller obviously did that.

The only question is the forum. Miller has always used the public forum to take a message already conveyed in private and use the public nature to grab the team's attention. Again, I don't understand the issue. You don't always have to treat athletes with kid gloves.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Mid majors also commonly have more than one fast break per game. Our average is ~3 fast break points per game, one of the main reasons zone is millers kryptonite.

I think the effort was probably fine. What Miller doesn't understand is no amount of effort is going to make Ristic turn into Aaron Gordon and be able to defend PnR's effectively 30ft from the hoop. No amount of effort can let Ayton stay and defend in the paint where he belongs instead of out on the perimeter because of our 100% man defense.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:On pointing the finger, Miller literally said the Bahamas losses were "on me." An anti-Miller agenda is easier when you just ignore facts, I guess.

What else can a coach say when your team makes history for underperforming and going from #2 to unranked in one week, losing to RPI 101 and 67? But that's what Miller does, underperform on the court every. single. year. The last time he did better than expected was 2011. That's a fact you can't ignore.

I'm just tired of the blame game in a so-called "Players Program"
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller:
“More than anything, we’re just trying to reach our potential,” Miller said. “But how can you really reach your potential when you don’t have consistent effort for 40 minutes?”
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... e-problems" target="_blank
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RiseAndFire wrote:

Mid majors also commonly have more than one fast break per game. Our average is ~3 fast break points per game, one of the main reasons zone is millers kryptonite.

I think the effort was probably fine. What Miller doesn't understand is no amount of effort is going to make Ristic turn into Aaron Gordon and be able to defend PnR's effectively 30ft from the hoop. No amount of effort can let Ayton stay and defend in the paint where he belongs instead of out on the perimeter because of our 100% man defense.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:On pointing the finger, Miller literally said the Bahamas losses were "on me." An anti-Miller agenda is easier when you just ignore facts, I guess.

What else can a coach say when your team makes history for underperforming and going from #2 to unranked in one week, losing to RPI 101 and 67? But that's what Miller does, underperform on the court every. single. year. The last time he did better than expected was 2011. That's a fact you can't ignore.

I'm just tired of the blame game in a so-called "Players Program"
No. The effort wasn't "probably fine" according to you. The explanation for two very different halves of basketball can only be explained by effort. Nothing else explains the disparity. So if Arizona had managed to give the effort Miller desires for 40 minutes, or even 35 minutes, Arizona wins handily. And that is the simple truth. Everything you post hear is an attack on Miller. You are a joke.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

prh wrote:Calipari calls out his players every halftime....and we're concerned about Miller doing it one time? Come on now

Lute did it all the time to.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
prh wrote:Calipari calls out his players every halftime....and we're concerned about Miller doing it one time? Come on now

Yep. And I'm not proud to say I remember countless specific games where Lute's teams gave lackluster effort and either lost or made it needlessly close, and he called it out publicly in the same way as Miller. I won't cite those games.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Yep. And I'm not proud to say I remember countless specific games where Lute's teams gave lackluster effort and either lost or made it needlessly close, and he called it out publicly in the same way as Miller. I won't cite those games.
Most coaches do.

Public reference to lack of effort is designed as an attention getter. When Miller says he has trouble reaching players, it makes complete sense he would go with an attention getting device.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't know why he plays Randolph and Smith together, they are a turnover machine.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

NYCat wrote:I don't know why he plays Randolph and Smith together, they are a turnover machine.
Yep, he needs to play the bench 1 guy at a time. Although as soon as Lee played today, Oregon went at him every time down the court
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We frequently run into problems when we bring in three bench guys at a time, especially if both Ayton and Trier arent on the floor. And now that scenario requires Trier at point, cuz Barcello's not getting much burn/is not playing well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’d hate to be his dry cleaner.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

That was after Ayton got roughed up going for the rebound that he ended up dunking on Paul White and getting the tech.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:That was after Ayton got roughed up going for the rebound that he ended up dunking on Paul White and getting the tech.
That tech was pretty weak. He screamed and looked at White on the ground. No words, no contact, but it fit the pattern of calling anything conceiveable in the 2nd half.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:That was after Ayton got roughed up going for the rebound that he ended up dunking on Paul White and getting the tech.
That tech was pretty weak. He screamed and looked at White on the ground. No words, no contact, but it fit the pattern of calling anything conceiveable in the 2nd half.
Additionally weak because, like I mentioned and like Miller is pantomiming here... Ayton was repeatedly hacked. Not calling the physical fouls that Oregon was committing and then calling the flex after the dunk through contact was astoundingly horse shit.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Putting Rawle on Travis and Rawle bearing down on defense changed this game. I know it was probably out of necessity with Aytons foul trouble, but going with Rawle instead of Pinder changed the tide. It also gave us 4 outside shooters against their zone and I think we hit three threes in a row at that time.

That and the F*#^ you to the ref.
Last edited by jajoyce on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.