UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by MrBug708 »

Putting your point of view into UCLA'S situation is silly. Most of that narrative is far-fetched or outdated. Most fans perception of UCLA is more outdated than ucla fans perspective actually is. So a healthy dialog, while appreciative, probably wouldn't really accomplish much other than a chorus of "heh's"
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Then what does it take to have an earnest, honest dialogue working toward a solution on the UCLA basketball mess, Bug?

Is fighting the UC bureaucracy that disengaging?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The first step in fixing the basketball situation is fixing the AD situation. He shouldn't be allowed to hire his third basketball coach to go along with already have hired his third football coach. None of which who moved on on their own accord. Bringing up Wooden to describe the fan base is just lazy, not to mention about two plus decades outdated..
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:Putting your point of view into UCLA'S situation is silly. Most of that narrative is far-fetched or outdated. Most fans perception of UCLA is more outdated than ucla fans perspective actually is. So a healthy dialog, while appreciative, probably wouldn't really accomplish much other than a chorus of "heh's"
Far-fetched? It's perfectly in line with that playbook so far. Inept AD, no program foundation, year 2, etc. Outdated? History repeats my friend.

UCLA fans are worse than any other fan base, they want their coach fired now. What support, in year 1.3.

He never had a chance from the beginning. Sad. But he did it to himself leaving NM after that 10 year contract and his excitement to be there for the long term. He had the full support of the AD, Fans, Community. Nice facilities, good assistants (Noodle), a philosophy in place, Etc. He's had good success there. He had a great team coming back.

Why did he leave?!?

The glitz and the glamor? CSA obviously did not do his due diligence and just said YES when asked.

Could be a career dagger IMO
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not hiring Lorenzo Romar was the dagger now twisting in the ribs of UCLA basketball. Brad Stevens will be at Indiana after this season and no other Division I coach with NCAA tournament wins wants to touch the Bruins' job at this point.

Going after Romar now will be a day late and a dollar short.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:Not hiring Lorenzo Romar was the dagger now twisting in the ribs of UCLA basketball. Brad Stevens will be at Indiana after this season and no other Division I coach with NCAA tournament wins wants to touch the Bruins' job at this point.

This. Romar makes a lot of sense. And more importantly, Miller > Romar

Heh.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bosy Billups wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Putting your point of view into UCLA'S situation is silly. Most of that narrative is far-fetched or outdated. Most fans perception of UCLA is more outdated than ucla fans perspective actually is. So a healthy dialog, while appreciative, probably wouldn't really accomplish much other than a chorus of "heh's"
Far-fetched? It's perfectly in line with that playbook so far. Inept AD, no program foundation, year 2, etc. Outdated? History repeats my friend.

UCLA fans are worse than any other fan base, they want their coach fired now. What support, in year 1.3.

He never had a chance from the beginning. Sad. But he did it to himself leaving NM after that 10 year contract and his excitement to be there for the long term. He had the full support of the AD, Fans, Community. Nice facilities, good assistants (Noodle), a philosophy in place, Etc. He's had good success there. He had a great team coming back.

Why did he leave?!?

The glitz and the glamor? CSA obviously did not do his due diligence and just said YES when asked.

Again. Outdated take. Arizona fans wanted KON out after one year. Sounds much worse than UCLA fans. See how I can make an overly simplistic take with whatever factors I wanted to use?

But I do agree that both UCLA and New Mexico would have been better off had neither of them made the marriage.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catgrad97 wrote:Not hiring Lorenzo Romar was the dagger now twisting in the ribs of UCLA basketball. Brad Stevens will be at Indiana after this season and no other Division I coach with NCAA tournament wins wants to touch the Bruins' job at this point.

Now you are just trolling me...lol
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

Why did he leave?!?

Again. Outdated take. Arizona fans wanted KON out after one year. Sounds much worse than UCLA fans. See how I can make an overly simplistic take with whatever factors I wanted to use?

But I do agree that both UCLA and New Mexico would have been better off had neither of them made the marriage.

Well Yes, duh, they are not exactly the same. I'm just saying there are similarities.

For example, if Lute had a clean transition and announced retirement then DG had to find a replacement, it'd probably be hard.

Howland is not Lute, but in the same way, it was very hard for DG to get a top level coach.

After 4 years of craziness, the program needed someone to rebuild it from the ground up, in no one's shadow, a 2.0 version.

UCLA needs the same.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'll send DG an email
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:I'll send DG an email
lol, his domain @aol.com?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Numbers @compuserve
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:Numbers @compuserve
dantheman@prodigy.com
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Completely agree that Brad Stevens will be in Bloomington soon enough, and Steve Alford will lobby hard for the IU job just like he did during his time at Iowa.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

8. UCLA: This team is in an awful lot of trouble. The Bruins have dropped five in a row, and as I mentioned they're now 0-7 against top-100 teams. It seems like this team has some pretty major, fatal flaws on offense that probably can't be fixed mid-season. Bryce Alford is a solid collegiate point guard, but he's the only guy the Bruins can consistently count upon to create offensive looks in the halfcourt. Looney and Powell are probably going to get drafted this year, but Looney is still really raw and Powell still struggles handling the ball in tight spaces. Plus, they have absolutely no depth. With Wanaah Bail now suspended, the team only goes seven-deep regularly with another raw freshman, Thomas Welsh, and Noah Allen. The five departures from last offseason -- Kyle Anderson, Zach LaVine and Jordan Adams, along with the Wear twins -- have proved too much to overcome. It seems unlikely this team goes dancing unless they make a major overhaul.
Yikes.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... c-12-reset
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CatsbyAZ wrote: A) I agree that other programs have not picked up the slack for UCLA this year.

B) I agree that it's preferable to have UCLA as a top representative PAC 12 program, alongside Arizona.

C) The beef is twofold - 1) I've never been a fan of rooting for rivals because it helps the conference or whatever. That's something the SEC has gone way overboard with starting in 2006 and everybody else decided to likewise follow them off the conference banter cliff. 2) Whether it's for the conference or not why oh why should I ever be compelled to root for UCLA??? Please don't tell us to root for UCLA just to get the indirect effect it has on AZ. I'll take rooting against UCLA at the expense of the conference most any day.
I'm certainly not going to argue that with you! :)

I have conference loyalty because I had to live in North Carolina for 10 years. If you don't live surrounded by an overwhelming sense of basketball hubris, then I can see your point, but for me, I would rather have had 11 of the 12 PAC teams win a natty than anyone in the ACC. That was back in the old pre-expansion days, though, so my hatred has been diluted down a bit.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

Completely agree that Brad Stevens will be in Bloomington soon enough, and Steve Alford will lobby hard for the IU job just like he did during his time at Iowa.
Da fuq? Stevens to Indiana? Why the hell would he want to do that? If there was a college program in that area, it would be duke. Not little short hoosier town. Are there sources?

Also, what makes everyone think he's going to either get fired or bolt from the Celtics? If he gets the train going, he ain't leaving.

Besides, UCLA thinks they'll get him after Alford.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Is their next win at the Galen Center?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bosy Billups wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

Da fuq? Stevens to Indiana? Why the hell would he want to do that? If there was a college program in that area, it would be duke. Not little short hoosier town. Are there sources?

Also, what makes everyone think he's going to either get fired or bolt from the Celtics? If he gets the train going, he ain't leaving.

I dont think ucla fans think they'll get him. It would take the right storm of him being unemployed and ready to go back to college and ucla having an opening and Duke or another East program not having an opening.

I'd said Marshall would be the top realistic guy. If only DG hadn't been so lazy and waited a week
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I like that fans are talking about the next coach, but meanwhile the one they don't want currently just got an extension prior to this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -with-ucla
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

I dont think ucla fans think they'll get him. It would take the right storm of him being unemployed and ready to go back to college and ucla having an opening and Duke or another East program not having an opening.

I'd said Marshall would be the top realistic guy. If only DG hadn't been so lazy and waited a week
Was there a realistic shot at Marshall? He seems like a "good 'ol boy" happy in mizzura. He would be great in the Pac-12 and have the personality to handle the job.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For its next hire, UCLA will have to do something similar to when they hired Jim Herrick out of Pepperdine. It's an entry-level job to the high major level, and not one that leads from a high-profile mid-major like Butler, Wichita State, or Gonzaga. No big name coach is going to UCLA, least of all Brad Stevens who already turned them down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alford's buyout is over $10M.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:Alford's buyout is over $10M.
WTF!?!?!

That's absurd!

That's a case of Dan Guerrero thinking - "Well if I pay him that much, he must be worth that much!"
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:Alford's buyout is over $10M.
He's not going anywhere.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

All I know is if we lose to the steaming pile of dogshit that UCLA purports to call a basketball team this year I'm going to lose my motherfucking mind.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

In this day and age, $10mm really isn't that crazy. There's a ton of money out there. If they want him gone, they'll get him gone. But probably wouldn't do it without a guaranteed successor that's better.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

salim'sheadband wrote:All I know is if we lose to the steaming pile of dogshit that UCLA purports to call a basketball team this year I'm going to lose my motherfucking mind.
I'm sure Alford will adopt the late-Howland-era approach of coaching up exactly 3 (or in this year's case 2) games a year, all of which happen to be against us.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

legallykenny wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:All I know is if we lose to the steaming pile of dogshit that UCLA purports to call a basketball team this year I'm going to lose my motherfucking mind.
I'm sure Alford will adopt the late-Howland-era approach of coaching up exactly 3 (or in this year's case 2) games a year, all of which happen to be against us.
We're only guaranteed to play UCLA once. Too soon to tell if we'll get them in Vegas.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I have no doubt that if the unfathomable happens, the Arizona faithful will have someone to blame
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

MrBug708 wrote:I have no doubt that if the unfathomable happens, the Arizona faithful will have someone to blame
Just as long as you are here to spew your brilliance for us, we will all be alright...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

MrBug708 wrote:I have no doubt that if the unfathomable happens, the Arizona faithful will have someone to blame
Ed Rush? If Arizona loses to UCLA, I'm blaming Steve Alford's mother who lays out his lucky game-day trousers out for him.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Oh snap, not sure if this is allowed here, and if not, delete. But why not, the other site's message board is shut down. Maybe we can grab other golden threads?

GoAzCats: "Pastner to Kentucky?"

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?p=792260
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He touched the ball.

Michael Irving says hi from Cancun.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Has anyone seen any comment yet this week from Guerrero (or anyone else very high up in the UCLA structure) about the basketball games this weekend, or do they seem to be just letting it slide?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Free shirts on sunday. Which is saying something because the AD doesn't give anything for free.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Free shirts on sunday. Which is saying something because the AD doesn't give anything for free.
HEH!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Stevens isn't leaving the Celtics for Indiana... Don't see him leaving the Celtics before he actually get a chance to coach the team Ainge is building. They have 1000000000 1st round picks in the next 3 years.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UCla a .500 team tonigh? With no conference wins, last place?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:Free shirts on sunday. Which is saying something because the AD doesn't give anything for free.

"I went to the UCLA game and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

How is Dan Guerrero still an AD?

That's the most incredible thing out of the whole Alford/UCLA BBall situation this year.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

azcat34 wrote:How is Dan Guerrero still an AD?

That's the most incredible thing out of the whole Alford/UCLA BBall situation this year.
I agree about Guerrero. I just can't fathom that, with UCLA at a triple digit rpi at about the halfway point of a season, there aren't death flames coming out of the AD's office directed at Alford.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What will the attendance be for the Stanford game tonight? Tipoff is at 6 so you know traffic will be an issue. My guess is 4000
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I don't think the Buyout was Dan's idea.

DG *HAD* to give that to lure even a coach of Alford's caliber over. He just signed a 10 year extension. He wasn't moving without assurances.

The scary thing is, if not Alford, then who? (no, not Marshall)
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

ASUHATER! wrote:What will the attendance be for the Stanford game tonight? Tipoff is at 6 so you know traffic will be an issue. My guess is 4000
All I know, if UCLA loses tonight's game... 6 game streak. #WOW

Explosions
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bosy Billups wrote:I don't think the Buyout was Dan's idea.

DG *HAD* to give that to lure even a coach of Alford's caliber over. He just signed a 10 year extension. He wasn't moving without assurances.

No
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

At least give that money to someone who can actually coach, recruit, and build a program. jeeeez
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:I don't think the Buyout was Dan's idea.

No
Why would he do it then? Was Alford's agent Gordon Gecko?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Maybe DG is incompetent?