Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I will say 2 things I believe to be true.

1. We paid for recruits
2. There is no way Miller was saying what is alleged on wiretap. He isn’t that stupid.
I believe #1 is the case, and is also widespread, even for the more prominent mid-majors.

But I stop there. We don't know anything else. And I think it's kind of dumb that people in the sports media are reaching such strongly stated conclusions based on a story broken by a sports network.

I'm pretty sure there are people on this board who know what a news report looks like. It's detailed and specific. It protects its unnamed sources while clarifying the nature of the leak and the evidence and showing the evidence. I thought the piece that broke Friday night was a prelude, but literally no elaboration whatsoever has followed. I have no doubt that the ABOR is noting these oddities. ESPN is showing every indication that they're in over their heads, and somebody needs to answer why ESPN, and not an actual news outlet, broke this "story."
LH - Would you say that this is potentially a lawsuit situation? I mean, it seems like it could have been incredibly mishandled & has done an immeasurable amount of damage. And not only to Sean Miller.
BD, I'm not a lawyer, but risk seems apparent. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, and hopefully gumby will visit us during his campaign work -- but a lot of responsibility for maintaining the credibility of a news organization falls on its managing editors, who have to get a strong sense of the level of corroboration, nature of the evidence, and validity of the anonymous sources. Obviously the levels of rigor aren't the same across entities, and it's notable that ESPN of all entities broke this story, and neither they nor any other outlet has elaborated. One of the interesting things about the unnamed sources in the ESPN piece is that they aren't accompanied by any named sources, either. That's especially significant because unnamed sources are frequently the very same name sources cited in an article, but with certain quotes and other information attached to a request for anonymity. So the degree of shadow is curious, and so is the absence of quotes in a story that contains only vague descriptions of what, exactly, occurred, and when it happened.

These problems will either get resolved or magnify as the days go by.

I defended ESPN at first, but this hasn't unfolded like I thought it would.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Thank you (as always) for that.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Was just looking at some of the old posts when 97 was talking about everything after the FBI made initial arrests. Wish he had some more info to share. I get the feeling that we were doing this stuff, Miller was contacted by FBI about Book, then Miller backs off recruits because he knows FBI is involved and watching (per previous posts from 97). Since Miller is now aware of the whole situation, he lets Book fall, along with Dawkins, and the others. Miller can't say anything about all of this since he was made aware, but at the same time before catching wind of FBI getting involved, we were doing this but in different ways. Puts Miller in a tough position because he can't talk about what's going on at all, and at the same time probably guilty of doing it in some capacity before Book goes rogue and screws it up for the entire program. Miller aids FBI in getting evidence on record so they can use it in court, but again can't say anything publicly. Would be a hard thing to have to hold in knowing that this could take years to sort out and be released publicly.

Therefore, from the outside Miller looks clean (even though this has been something we were probably doing, but on the dl), and like many have said Dawkins lawyers are desperate and taking things out of context, or don't know that Miller was in on the whole thing, and now trying to take anyone and everyone down with him. Imagine if you are CSM and this is actually what was going on. It would be hard to continue wanting to coach with all this drama going on in the background without talking about any of it. Again...this is all just my own speculation, but looking at everything i feel like this could be very plausible.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Asshats
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miller should sue along with the UofA for lost revenue that will result from the fact we won't be able to recruit for years.

We as fans should Sue for pain and suffering as joy has been sucked out of the world :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

9-6-16 Deandre Ayton commits to Arizona
11-10-16 Ayton signs LOI with Arizona
Spring 2017 Taped Conversation between Dawkins and Miller
8-13-17 NCAA concludes their investigation into Ayton and clears him to play finding no wrong doing in his recruitment
9-27-17 FBI releases documents on the assistant coaches. Miller not mentioned and is known as the victim in this by the FBI
2-23-18 ESPN without listening to the tape or reading transcripts says Miller offered 100k for Ayton to commit to Arizona
2-24-18 NCAA says Arizona can deal with Miller and Ayton as they see fit for now
2-24-18 Miller doesnt coach but Ayton Plays

Clearly something does not add up
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

PHXCATS wrote:9-6-16 Deandre Ayton commits to Arizona
11-10-16 Ayton signs LOI with Arizona
Spring 2017 Taped Conversation between Dawkins and Miller
8-13-17 NCAA concludes their investigation into Ayton and clears him to play finding no wrong doing in his recruitment
9-27-17 FBI releases documents on the assistant coaches. Miller not mentioned and is known as the victim in this by the FBI
2-23-18 ESPN without listening to the tape or reading transcripts says Miller offered 100k for Ayton to commit to Arizona
2-24-18 NCAA says Arizona can deal with Miller and Ayton as they see fit for now
2-24-18 Miller doesnt coach but Ayton Plays

Clearly something does not add up
Here is link to the video in which Schlabach clearly states spring of 2017.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22559902
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Ayton was already enrolled or about to enroll to take summer classes (depending on how late in spring) so it doesn't make any sense.
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Why did ncaa look into Ayton?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:So this case is a full year out, any chance Miller sits out a year til he can talk/be vindicated (assuming he is under an nda and is complying with the fbi) and this is why he brought in Romar? A guy he can trust, good recruiter, serviceable head coach, people like him..... and then when the dust settles he has the option to come back. I mean is there a possibility that Miller's involvement with this goes back to the days of Book/Ace (PGU)? Well, he's either telling the truth or a sociopath.
This is possible but I would have to gravitate towards extremely improbable. I think Miller will be placed on paid administrative leave and Romar is our coach for the rest of the season. I think this will happen either tomorrow or early in the week. Even if Miller isn't fired I think he and the U of A will part ways in the best interests of both parties. At this point it actually might be the best scenario so the program can plan its future and move on. Whether Miller is guilty or not his reputation has already been irreparably damaged.
Agree this is the most likely outcome. AZ needs to:

1) Part ways with Miller ASAP
2) Proactively get the sanctions behind us (self sanction now)
3) Make a home-run hire (Beard/Cronin) (Eric Musselman is also a possibility)
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:So this case is a full year out, any chance Miller sits out a year til he can talk/be vindicated (assuming he is under an nda and is complying with the fbi) and this is why he brought in Romar? A guy he can trust, good recruiter, serviceable head coach, people like him..... and then when the dust settles he has the option to come back. I mean is there a possibility that Miller's involvement with this goes back to the days of Book/Ace (PGU)? Well, he's either telling the truth or a sociopath.
This is possible but I would have to gravitate towards extremely improbable. I think Miller will be placed on paid administrative leave and Romar is our coach for the rest of the season. I think this will happen either tomorrow or early in the week. Even if Miller isn't fired I think he and the U of A will part ways in the best interests of both parties. At this point it actually might be the best scenario so the program can plan its future and move on. Whether Miller is guilty or not his reputation has already been irreparably damaged.

3) Make a home-run hire (Beard/Cronin)
Funny but I’d do none of these things. None. Zilch. Nada.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agree with ODOGG.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

OK, please enlighten us.........what would you do?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Proceed as normal (as possible) and prepare a lawsuit.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I agree with ODogg too. Why throw CSM under the bus when it doesn't appear he did anything wrong just because the pressure is on?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Again so many people forget the NCAA isn’t involved at this point. They are leaving it up to schools. More than just arizona involved guys.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

Yeah, fuck that shit unless you KNOW Miller is guilty and you can fire him with cause. That does not seem to be the case.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I think Dickie V needs to change his diaper. He needs to STFU
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:Proceed as normal (as possible) and prepare a lawsuit.
So essentially you would do nothing.....which would lead to a slow bleeding death. The cloud would continue to hang over Miller/AZ with our already shattered 2018 recruiting class being a harbinger of recruiting classes to come. The UA might well be set back 5-6 years under this scenario.

NO THANKS
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Research burden of proof

Might help.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
So essentially you would do nothing.....which would lead to a slow bleeding death. The cloud would continue to hang over Miller/AZ with our already shattered 2018 recruiting class being a harbinger of recruiting classes to come. The UA might well be set back 5-6 years under this scenario.

NO THANKS

At this point in the season? Nothing. Why would you not wait a month. Idiotic.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

NO THANKS

Parting ways with Miller and hiring a new coach WILL take a month.

Idiotic is doing nothing and allowing the cancer to slowly kill the UA program.

BTW, there are only a handful of schools involved besides the UA. The vast majority of the schools named thus far involve players/agents........not coaches/agents. BIG difference to the NCAA. The schools with coaches involved are going to be raped.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

NO THANKS

BTW, there are only a handful of schools involved besides the UA. The vast majority of the schools named thus far involve players/agents........not coaches/agents. BIG difference to the NCAA. The schools with coaches involved are going to be raped.
It’s adorable that you think this is the end and not the beginning.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:Research burden of proof

Might help.
I suggest you research NCAA Sanctions Committee (Google works).

We won't be tried in a court of law....we will be tried by an NCAA committee who won't give a rats arse about "Burden of Proof"
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

NO THANKS

It’s adorable that you think this is the end and not the beginning.
Its cute that you haven't figured out that Miller/UA's reputation has been damaged beyond repair. Miller needs to part ways with the UA.....which I suspect his lawyer is doing right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:

NO THANKS
Waiting a month or two would have no effect on the ’19 recruiting class, and you admit our ’18 class is already fucked, so what’s the rush?

Oh, I get it. You’re hungry for blood...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Coffeebean

Post by Coffeebean »

Going with the story without hearing the audio?

Unless this leak comes directly from the FBI, ESPN is really sticking its neck out. Other sources could have a variety of motivations to lie or shade the truth.

Not to mention the fact that actual words matter, and ESPN is running the story without knowing what is actually on the audio.

That's insanely reckless. God help ESPN/Disney if this goes south on them.

And I hope it does.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

OK, please enlighten us.........what would you do?
There is no such thing as a home-run hire coming up for us, only a place-holder while we tread water and wait for the stink to move to a different program.

But even if we were talking home-run hires... Beard or Cronin??? Hahaha just because they're high in the polls at this very instant doesn't make them home-run hires. That's somebody with a track record of success.

Gregg Marshall and Billy Donovan are home run hires

Unfortunately we'll only be looking at singles and doubles as long as we're in the hole on CSM's contract and the NCAA cloud lingers over us
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

3) Make a home-run hire (Beard/Cronin) (Eric Musselman is also a possibility)
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

NO THANKS
Waiting a month or two would have no effect on the ’19 recruiting class, and you admit our ’18 class is already fucked, so what’s the rush?

Hungry for blood?? No, I'm just realistic. Waiting a month/two and not self sanctioning will surely mean sanctions in 2019/2020........with future recruiting classes destroyed. Waiting is death in this game.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

This is possible but I would have to gravitate towards extremely improbable. I think Miller will be placed on paid administrative leave and Romar is our coach for the rest of the season. I think this will happen either tomorrow or early in the week. Even if Miller isn't fired I think he and the U of A will part ways in the best interests of both parties. At this point it actually might be the best scenario so the program can plan its future and move on. Whether Miller is guilty or not his reputation has already been irreparably damaged.[/quote]

3) Make a home-run hire (Beard/Cronin)[/quote]

Funny but I’d do none of these things. None. Zilch. Nada.[/quote]

OK, please enlighten us.........what would you do?[/quote]

There is no such thing as a home-run hire coming up for us, only a place-holder while we tread water and wait for the stink to move to a different program.

But even if we were talking home-run hires... Beard or Cronin??? Hahaha just because they're high in the polls at this very instant doesn't make them home-run hires. That's somebody with a track record of success.

Gregg Marshall and Billy Donovan are home run hires

Unfortunately we'll only be looking at singles and doubles as long as we're in the hole on CSM's contract and the NCAA cloud lingers over us[/quote]

So your solution is to sit on our ass while the cloud lingers over the program and slowly dies as each successive recruiting class is worse than the last???

NO THANKS
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Do IT NOW. NOT IN 35 days. Now!!!!!
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

That's what Romar is in place for. If Miller decides it's in the programs and his best interest to step away, at least Romar is in place for the time being (as long as no connections with Fultz from reports). He's been a head coach in the conference and can hold his own. And since the '18 class is already doomed, why pay big bucks and search for a new coach when we aren't sure what the facts are. Romar coaches for a year, court cases finally start rolling in, and then we can finally see the facts start to come out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Waiting a month or two would have no effect on the ’19 recruiting class, and you admit our ’18 class is already fucked, so what’s the rush?

Hungry for blood?? No, I'm just realistic. Waiting a month/two and not self sanctioning will surely mean sanctions in 2019/2020........with future recruiting classes destroyed. Waiting is death in this game.
Is there some guarantee that self-sanctioning next year will mean the NCAA won’t sanction us in future years? Nope.

Is there some guarantee that by firing Miller now we speed up an NCAA investigation that can’t even start until the FBI wraps up their own inquiry? Nope.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:
prh wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Does anybody know how good ESPN is with editorial management? How much are they in the business of maintaining journalistic standards when approving of sources? I ask because they are obviously a cable TV sports network. Why did the leaker of this information go to ESPN, and not the Washington Post, for example?
It's the wild west. They don't have any standards. When they mess up in a major way, they post an "ombudsman" post low on the front page. But that's rare. In the last 2 weeks they've posted names of college athletes under Title IX investigation which is a big no-no. It's a clown show.
And so that's whom the leaker(s) presented this information and sources to? It's the managing editors who approve of sources and clear stories for release. Now there are inconsistencies in the timeline of events and strong denials by those implicated, and the only professionals who are doubling down on the certainty of the story work for ESPN or other sports reporting outlets.

This whole thing is a little beyond the range of sports journalism, especially for a cable TV sports network with an appended website.

The pushback from Ayton's family, and the assertive denial from Miller, may be interesting.

And is there still word that Dawkins' camp may be who provided these "sources familiar with the investigation" to ESPN?
Follow the money. Things make more sense when you view it from that lens. Especially when stuff isn't passing the smell test. Think about how much is at stake here money wise.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

phxcat23 wrote:That's what Romar is in place for. If Miller decides it's in the programs and his best interest to step away, at least Romar is in place for the time being (as long as no connections with Fultz from reports). He's been a head coach in the conference and can hold his own. And since the '18 class is already doomed, why pay big bucks and search for a new coach when we aren't sure what the facts are. Romar coaches for a year, court cases finally start rolling in, and then we can finally see the facts start to come out.

Thats a little like knowing a Cat 5 Hurricane is coming right at you but you decide to stay in your house and hope it changes course.

The litigation could take YEARS.........in that time we will see multiple recruiting classes destroyed. The UA needs to act quickly and decisively. We need to put this disaster in our rear-view mirror as fast as possible.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Waiting a month or two would have no effect on the ’19 recruiting class, and you admit our ’18 class is already fucked, so what’s the rush?

Is there some guarantee that self-sanctioning next year will mean the NCAA won’t sanction us in future years? Nope.

Is there some guarantee that by firing Miller now we speed up an NCAA investigation that can’t even start until the FBI wraps up their own inquiry? Nope.
No there isnt.............but if we self sanction NOW those additional sanctions are likely to be far less brutal. Sacrificing the 2018 tourney and maybe the 2019 will, in the end, be far better than sitting out 2019/2020.......which will lead to another destroyed recruiting class.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

dmjcat wrote:
phxcat23 wrote:That's what Romar is in place for. If Miller decides it's in the programs and his best interest to step away, at least Romar is in place for the time being (as long as no connections with Fultz from reports). He's been a head coach in the conference and can hold his own. And since the '18 class is already doomed, why pay big bucks and search for a new coach when we aren't sure what the facts are. Romar coaches for a year, court cases finally start rolling in, and then we can finally see the facts start to come out.

Thats a little like knowing a Cat 5 Hurricane is coming right at you but you decide to stay in your house and hope it changes course.

The litigation could take YEARS.........in that time we will see multiple recruiting classes destroyed. The UA needs to act quickly and decisively. We need to put this disaster in our rear-view mirror as fast as possible.
Well the Cat 5 hurricane already came from the media shitstorm and supposed "leaks". The damage has been done. If you were a potential recruit or the parent of a recruit, even if we did hire a new coach, wouldn't you still be a bit apprehensive about the pending litigation and possible sanctions the NCAA could still impose. Even when the dust settles, the NCAA is not logical in their enforcement, and they can still punish future teams that don't even have players that were on the roster when all of this went down or any involvement in this whole ordeal.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Fucking chicken little dmjcat. There right now is absolutely NO EVIDENCE of any wrongdoing by Miller. So until the truth is known, talk of firing Miller and self-sanctioning is just very, very stupid.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

People calling for the removal of Miller need to turn in their UA badges and leave the forum.

Fuck that shit, if all it takes is a rumor for you to lose loyalty you're not a fan you're a fucking bandwagon spoke.

Get the fuck out.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Guys. We hired Romar for a reason...
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:People calling for the removal of Miller need to turn in their UA badges and leave the forum.

Fuck that shit, if all it takes is a rumor for you to lose loyalty you're not a fan you're a fucking bandwagon spoke.

Get the fuck out.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

phxcat23 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Well the Cat 5 hurricane already came from the media shitstorm and supposed "leaks". The damage has been done. If you were a potential recruit or the parent of a recruit, even if we did hire a new coach, wouldn't you still be a bit apprehensive about the pending litigation and possible sanctions the NCAA could still impose. Even when the dust settles, the NCAA is not logical in their enforcement, and they can still punish future teams that don't even have players that were on the roster when all of this went down or any involvement in this whole ordeal.
Yes, I would be concerned if I were a parent of a kid looking at the UA. I would be a HELL of a lot MORE concerned if they didn't self sanction which almost inevitably guarantees that my kid IS going to suffer under future sanctions.

It should also be noted that the NCAA, in most cases, doesn't further punish schools that self sanction. The UA could also consult with the NCAA before self sanctioning to get their blessing.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

CatFanOneMil wrote:People calling for the removal of Miller need to turn in their UA badges and leave the forum.

Get the fuck out.
+1
Dicks
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

No there isnt.............but if we self sanction NOW those additional sanctions are likely to be far less brutal. Sacrificing the 2018 tourney and maybe the 2019 will, in the end, be far better than sitting out 2019/2020.......which will lead to another destroyed recruiting class.
NOW ...... as opposed to in mid-April? Six weeks is the difference between life and death for our program?

So thirsty...
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Won't be banned unless miller is guilty of what he's accused of by hearsay. Remember the FBI had all evidence and made the sting miller wasn't involved in the arrests.If he paid he woulda been picked up. It's not like new evidence is out the fbi went through everything before they make their sting. Lots of holes in the leak not to mention the timeline of spring of 2017. Ayton was signed already
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Mute on