Pastner

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Re: Pastner

Post by Bosy Billups »

Think he's done.

Back to the above comments, he should take any buyout offer with open arms (let them have Penny Hardaway). He spends the next 3 years with his family and young kids who he has likely neglected the last few year, and be a part time ESPN, CBS, SI analyst. He keeps ties open to AAU and West Coast. And in 4-5 years, maybe a couple grey hairs and a goat, a great job will open up that will pay him a ton, and he can take this sabbatical to learn the actual job of coaching and leadership, and brand himself as much older and seasoned and experienced coach when the right job opens up.

It has to work that way IMO. Otherwise, he will be mediocre forever and ruin his career. That just happened.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

He in deep doo doo
gumby

Post by gumby »

Memphis up big. Wait, that's the Griz.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking at the CFB scoreboard, saw that Memphis football scored 55 against BYU in their bowl game, which is the same amount Memphis bball scored in their last loss to OK St.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Wow, looks like Memphis won of game of significance. Golf clap.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Things back to normal.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I met a terse Memphis fan on the train last week.

"Are you ready to see Pastner go?"

"Yep."
Merkin

"Josh Pastner dances like someone who still has a flip phone

Post by Merkin »

Fast forward to 1:04

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How about those empty seats? He could have made those dance moves out on the court and there would have only been a couple of witnesses.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Other than the fact that Pastner can't coach, why do Arizona fans dislike him so much?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:Other than the fact that Pastner can't coach, why do Arizona fans dislike him so much?
He out-recruited us for a 7-foot prospect that we're butt-hurt over.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Longhorned wrote:
enfuego wrote:Other than the fact that Pastner can't coach, why do Arizona fans dislike him so much?
I don't dislike Pastner...quite the opposite. Dude was a true Wildcat , one of the hardest workers around, and wish him nothing but success.

Who was the project you're talking about? Thanks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I don't dislike Pastner...quite the opposite. Dude was a true Wildcat , one of the hardest workers around, and wish him nothing but success.

Longhorned is referencing the reasoning behind enfuego's obsession with Arizona.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Longhorned is referencing the reasoning behind enfuego's obsession with Arizona.
Ahh, got it, thanks.....the same guy who KU Fans wished would blow out his knee the day he committed to us.....same fans joking about Lute's old age and death (and not a single KU fan calling them out on it)......Ahhh, those classy KU fans represent their fanbase so well.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This dancing video sums up Pastner in a nutshell. Celebrating a win over Tulane. I love 1:02. He tried to take over and then backed out till 1:07 and pushed player out of way.

Pastner is as douchey as douche gets.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bangkok Wildcat

Olsondogg wrote:This dancing video sums up Pastner in a nutshell. Celebrating a win over Tulane. I love 1:02. He tried to take over and then backed out till 1:07 and pushed player out of way.

What is your problem with Pastner? He didn't try to 'take it over' but rather showed he wasn't too 'stuffy' and participated with the TEAM dancing/celebrating the good win.

Seriously, I don't get your attempt to make something out of nothing, in this instance, to justify your dislike of Pastner. How about showing some loyalty to an ex-Wildcat who worked his butt off for us?

Seriosuly though, why do you dislike him so much? He didn't bang your gf while in school did he? ;-) Lol.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:This dancing video sums up Pastner in a nutshell. Celebrating a win over Tulane. I love 1:02. He tried to take over and then backed out till 1:07 and pushed player out of way.

What is your problem with Pastner? He didn't try to 'take it over' but rather showed he wasn't too 'stuffy' and participated with the TEAM dancing/celebrating the good win.

Seriously, I don't get your attempt to make something out of nothing, in this instance, to justify your dislike of Pastner. How about showing some loyalty to an ex-Wildcat who worked his butt off for us?

Seriosuly though, why do you dislike him so much? He didn't bang your gf while in school did he? ;-) Lol.
I've been over this at the old place, no didn't bang an ex.

He's a douche. He's not a wildcat, in fact he's a tiger for the time being...

If you have a problem with me pointing out the obvious, then that's on you. If you wanna like a douche, I'm not stopping you. But don't get all butthurt because I made fun of a douchebag.
Bangkok Wildcat

Olsondogg wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

I've been over this at the old place, no didn't bang an ex.

He's a douche. He's not a wildcat, in fact he's a tiger for the time being...

If you have a problem with me pointing out the obvious, then that's on you. If you wanna like a douche, I'm not stopping you. But don't get all butthurt because I made fun of a douchebag.

Olsondogg, don't hold back, tell me how you really feel! Lol.....no, I don't recall your reasons posted on TOS for disliking Pastner.....you are obviously entitled to your opinion...and no, my butt doesn't hurt but thanks for caring.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If you watch that video and think, yeah I like that guy...well...then...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I can't imagine a 37yo Xavier Sean Miller dancing like that with his team after beating Elon or some other garbage Sun-belt team.
Bangkok Wildcat

Olsondogg wrote:If you watch that video and think, yeah I like that guy...well...then...
Dude, why would you assume that I started liking Pastner because of some lame dancing on a recent short video? I like Pastner because of something called 'loyalty'. I'm loyal to all current and ex-Wildcats unless they are proven 'douchebags'.....since all I've ever known of Josh was his intense love for and work ethic at the U of A, then I'll stick by my opinion because that's all I know.

I also highly doubt the Coach Olson would mentor, hire and support such an alleged 'douchebag'. Again, that's according to my limited knowledge on the subject. Anyways, again, you are entitled to your opinion and I am as well. Bear Down.
az91

Post by az91 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:If you watch that video and think, yeah I like that guy...well...then...
Dude, why would you assume that I started liking Pastner because of some lame dancing on a recent short video? I like Pastner because of something called 'loyalty'. I'm loyal to all current and ex-Wildcats unless they are proven 'douchebags'.....since all I've ever known of Josh was his intense love for and work ethic at the U of A, then I'll stick by my opinion because that's all I know.

I also highly doubt the Coach Olson would mentor, hire and support such an alleged 'douchebag'. Again, that's according to my limited knowledge on the subject. Anyways, again, you are entitled to your opinion and I am as well. Bear Down.
Don't even waste your time with the Pastner haters. Even if Pastner coached Memphis to the NCAA championship, the haters would still find some reason to attack him.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Pastner is what he is. He's been very successful and will continue to be. He's not head coach material though, he is AHC, that's his role, and he will flourish wherever he is in that role. $300k for that role a year, don't feel too sorry for him, but that's who he is.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pastner is the 9th highest paid coach in college ball. http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... e/7214659/

Ahead of Sean Miller? How did that happen?

Don't have any ill will towards Pastner, just don't want him back here.

Just a little too douchey like ODogg says.
Bangkok Wildcat

Merkin wrote:
Just a little too douchey like ODogg says.
On a lighter note, your comment is a bit funny when taken together with your avatar...which btw, is awesome :-)
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Josh is the sole remaining hope for anyone on the Lute Olson "coaching tree" to amount to anything worth mentioning....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:Josh is the sole remaining hope for anyone on the Lute Olson "coaching tree" to amount to anything worth mentioning....
Hey, don't forget Russ Pennell.

0-18 at Central Arkansas this year.

Mike Dunlap's Loyola Marymount team is 6-15. Really did think Dunlap could coach, but he is probably just an XO guy, not a HC.

Not really an assistant coach under Lute (or anyone for that matter), but Steve Kerr seems to be doing A-OK.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Loyalty? Exactly how? He's a coach of a different program...

He was a douche when he was in college, and he's one now. I'm glad you love him because he is "loyal", even though I don't know how he is loyal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Was he there at Lute's 80th? Was he invited? Did he send a telegram?

NYCat wrote:80!

http://instagram.com/p/tL5HFpOAq0/

Happy Birthday coach.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What was Pastner's great addition to the Arizona program, aside from shagging Bibby's balls....
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:What was Pastner's great addition to the Arizona program, aside from shagging Bibby's balls....
the Marcus Williams recruitment...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:What was Pastner's great addition to the Arizona program, aside from shagging Bibby's balls....
the Marcus Williams recruitment...
Houston Pipeline of: Ndude Ebi, Jawann McClellan, Fendi Onobun, and Nic Wise.

Under whelming to say the least, although Jawann was hampered by knee injuries, and Lute offered Nic way too early.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

This is the type of post I'll feel like deleting before posting because I'm not sure it adds much but I'm of the very neutral opinion on JP. I'm pretty sure I said this at TOS too. I have a hard time seeing how big of a d-bag many see him as - as well as having a hard time in being such a huge fan. He was a walk-on who wanted to learn how to coach, who ended up coaching & being a decent to good recruiter & he was a very small part of the Championship team. Pretty cool resume & it's paid off for him at Memphis. Happy for him as well as extremely happy with who we ended up with. End.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

As long as he is never the HC at Arizona I'm cool. He is a Cat and wish him all the best. One thing he has been loyal to Arizona guys. Had Gardner, Luke, and DStod with him at Memphis no?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bangkok Wildcat

NYCat wrote:80!

http://instagram.com/p/tL5HFpOAq0/

Happy Birthday coach.
[/quote]

Man, we are so fortunate to have had Lute for so long and now Sean as our Coach! Now that I can actually watch a few games over here, I love seeing Lute in the stands for almost every game and the publicity that goes with it. What other top programs out there have their HOF ex-Coach in attendance cheering on them on???

Wishing Lute good health and happiness! Bear Down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Man, we are so fortunate to have had Lute for so long and now Sean as our Coach! Now that I can actually watch a few games over here, I love seeing Lute in the stands for almost every game and the publicity that goes with it. What other top programs out there have their HOF ex-Coach in attendance cheering on them on???

It was great seeing him on the Bay Area trip too. Didn't see his McKale buddy there though, at least on TV. That's the dude that lets Miller borrow his private jet.
Bangkok Wildcat

Merkin wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Man, we are so fortunate to have had Lute for so long and now Sean as our Coach! Now that I can actually watch a few games over here, I love seeing Lute in the stands for almost every game and the publicity that goes with it. What other top programs out there have their HOF ex-Coach in attendance cheering on them on???

It was great seeing him on the Bay Area trip too. Didn't see his McKale buddy there though, at least on TV. That's the dude that lets Miller borrow his private jet.
Yeah Merkin, got to see both Bay Area games and how Lute was shown prominently on TV...which led to my post. How cool is that for UA Marketing??!!

Does anyone know how often he attends the road games these days? Is it only the Bay Area? I'm assuming he won't be at Pullman, lol, but I wonder what other road games he might or has attended this year.....

Anyways, It's great to see him doing well and active. BD.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Lute mentored, hired, and supported KO, too. He also married Christine Jack Torretti.

Nobody is perfect... But he was opposed to hiring Pastner for the job when he was lobbying for it before Miller was hired.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Pastner is making $2 mill a year.

He gets the last laugh.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

A rich douchebag is still a douchebag. Remembering that will take you places in life.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Sure would be nice if Arizona's Favorite Son could coach his Memphis team to a big road win tonight.

Gimme a J...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

KaibabKat wrote:Sure would be nice if Arizona's Favorite Son could coach his Memphis team to a big road win tonight.

Gimme a J...
I will be hoping the Tigers can pull off a miracle tonight... But I don't get the Steve Kerr reference. He coaches the Golden State Warriors in the NBA.
Bangkok Wildcat

KaibabKat wrote:Sure would be nice if Arizona's Favorite Son could coach his Memphis team to a big road win tonight.

Gimme a J...
Not a chance at Gonzaga......Gonzaga's joke of a Non-conference schedule (except us of course) and crappy conference will ensure their lone loss will be to us and they will get the #1 seed in the West.

Seriously, how boring their conference schedule games must be when its 'Cupcake City' all the time (@BYU might be the lone exception).....
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol @ pastner. Some people cannot be defended
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

From the Tiger MB
If we are going to be elite again, a change is needed.

If we want to be a mid major, we have our guy.
and
We're an AAU team with an AAU coach.
and
Oh for goodness sake, get a clue and stop lying to yourself. Are you incapable of watching a game with more than a surface level understanding of the game? It is clear the coaching is the problem and always has been. You likely never played at even a high school level, and if you did you weren't coached by someone that knows the game. It is so blatantly obvious that Pastner is overmatched and has no clue either how to motivate players or coach the game of basketball. Such an idiotic post.
Thank Lute for sandbagging his shot with LG for coach.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

He's definitely in major doo doo. Attendance is declining and that's the first sign that someone is in trouble.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I remember Gershon warning him at that time, don't take the job. It just isn't a good fit, and he wasn't ready at the time to succeed Calipari at a place like Memphis. Looks like now that prediction is coming true. Think if he was still an assistant for a good coach somewhere, and next year say, takes a Head Coaching position.

Truth by told, wouldn't be surprised if Calipari recruited (e.g., bullied) him to take the job because Calipari knew that Memphis wouldn't be able to land anyone else. IF Calipari didn't do that, he'd be even more hated in the Memphis community (not fans, but friends, admin, boosters, etc.)

Purse speculation, but that's how it went down.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I don't think it's going to end well for Josh. I think the perfect school for him is the University of Houston. Expectations there won't be as high and Josh will be able to bring in the recruits. He needs to get a good x and o guy on his bench.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner