UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by azgreg »

After watching the bubble pool the last couple of days UCLA should be in and I can see them winning a game or 2.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not looking good. They will probably be an nit 1 seed.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dirtbags wrote:giving credit where it is due, ucla played a great game. gave our guys just about all they could handle. glad we won't have to deal with norman powell anymore.

i hope the bruins make the ncaa tourney.
You guys are playing tournament worthy bb right now. Good luck on Sunday!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Looney, Parker, and Powell are quite a trio. Shame on Alford for not being able to maximize their potential.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
splitsecond wrote:I saw something showing Lunardi had sucla as one of the last 4 in..... I about broke my tv in half at that stupidity. If they are "last 4 in" then ASSU should get an 8 seed.
Yeah, that's a joke....unless they win the P12 Tourney, they don't deserve a bid.......suspect they are riding on pure rep to be even on the bubble at this time......friggin' unbelievable!

Alford is and will be a bust IMHO......they will fire his butt in 3-5 years......will be fun to watch especially with all their 'sore loser' tears on their boards right now......
Ok Mr. Bug, I take back my earlier position....the way you closed down the stretch and your run in the tourney leads me to Hope you guys squeeze into the dance....the UCLA team we played tonight deserves it....respect!

I still think y'all will fire CSA in 3-5 years though ;-)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I bet you'd like us to keep Stevie that long..
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is UCLA going to be joining Indiana soon on the County Fair concert tour? :lol:
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That ASU loss hurts UCLA's chances for sure.
Bangkok Wildcat

MrBug708 wrote:I bet you'd like us to keep Stevie that long..
If I asked nicely, would you pleeeeeease? ;-). Seriously though, doubt you can get rid of him any earlier than that with his contract and with the implications of firing another HC so quickly.

Good luck Selection Sunday...sincerely.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Next year
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

So WTF just happened here?

Does Larry have dirt on the selection committee chair to get UCLA in the tournament?

There is zero reason they should be in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Time to extend Alford.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Time to extend Alford.
Rather the Pimp Arizona to the head of the NCAA at the tourney last night for a #1 seed or at least away from Wisky, he probably used the time to work his "brand".
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Chicat wrote:Time to extend Alford.
Don't say that! Alford would really hurt Miller's recruiting g in the long run. I would really take a hit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think it's pretty funny that even casual college bball observers are saying, "What the fuck? Ucla got in??? But they suck!"

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I feel like this was done to spite RC97.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Did the committee chair look at who those four wins were against? Beating Washington, Washington St, USC twice and playing us tough = gaining steam? He probably has no clue how good or bad most Pac 12 teams are.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UCLA is going to be one of those teams that doesn't deserve to be in tourney, yet they will win a game or 2
Bangkok Wildcat

Alieberman wrote:UCLA is going to be one of those teams that doesn't deserve to be in tourney, yet they will win a game or 2
+1....you are so right....the only thing that made me come around to thinking they should slip in is how damned tough they played us twice......that and I knew their name would carry them as well. Anyways, the longer Alford is there the better for us.

Next year's games against them will be really tough for us though with the expected departures....should be brutal fights.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, like the year henry bibby's team totally didn't deserve to be in the tourney (back in like 2003 or something) and usc made a run to the elite eight
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

also, did anyone read greg hanson's piece about alford delegating-out his coaching responsibilities during the last critical minutes of the Arizona-ucla game??
Alford delegated with game on the line
March 14, 2015 6:30 pm

If you get a chance to watch a replay of Friday’s Arizona-UCLA semifinal game, pay attention to the Bruins’ timeout huddle with 1:33 remaining, with Arizona leading 61-59. Assistant coach Ed Schilling did all of the instruction in the huddle as head coach Steve Alford watched. Schilling is a John Calipari disciple from UMass and Memphis who spent his last two seasons before UCLA by coaching a high school team in Indianapolis. In all my years of watching Lute Olson, Mike Montgomery and Ralph Miller — the three leading coaches in Pac-10/Pac-12 history — I never saw one of them give a timeout session over to an assistant coach. The elite coaches just don’t do that.
wtf?

steve alfraud, indeed.
Bangkok Wildcat

dirtbags wrote:also, did anyone read greg hanson's piece about alford delegating-out his coaching responsibilities during the last critical minutes of the Arizona-ucla game??
Alford delegated with game on the line
March 14, 2015 6:30 pm

If you get a chance to watch a replay of Friday’s Arizona-UCLA semifinal game, pay attention to the Bruins’ timeout huddle with 1:33 remaining, with Arizona leading 61-59. Assistant coach Ed Schilling did all of the instruction in the huddle as head coach Steve Alford watched. Schilling is a John Calipari disciple from UMass and Memphis who spent his last two seasons before UCLA by coaching a high school team in Indianapolis. In all my years of watching Lute Olson, Mike Montgomery and Ralph Miller — the three leading coaches in Pac-10/Pac-12 history — I never saw one of them give a timeout session over to an assistant coach. The elite coaches just don’t do that.
wtf?

steve alfraud, indeed.
No dirtbags, I didn't.....exceeded my 10 views / 30 days, lol. Wow, just wow though......that's beyond belief! I do remember seeing that on TV but I was focused on the Cats and didn't think about till just now. Wonder if the Bruins noticed too?

Couldn't find any mention of this on their board so I added a topic as I'm really curious.....http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=13733988
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That's amazing. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This was Daniel Bejarano's last chance for the Dance with Colorado State, wasn't it?

Instead, UCLA gives the Pac-12 a dubious fourth bid based on nothing but tradition, potential and playing (judging by Arizona's bracket) the weakest 2 seed to the wire in a conference tournament game.

It's like the tournament wouldn't be the same without inviting in every possible team Kentucky thrashed. What a phone-in by the committee.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UCLA did not deserve a bid, although it does demonstrate a certain degree of respect for Arizona - as UCLA's 2 most impressive outings in their last 10 were their relatively competitive losses to us,

In no way can an argument be made that Arizona was perceived as the weakest 2 seed by the committee - that would be Kansas. It seems pretty clear that we were the top #2 seed, followed by UVa.

The 3 seed in our bracket is ranked #16, and the 4 seed is ranked 19.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:In no way can an argument be made that Arizona was perceived as the weakest 2 seed by the committee - that would be Kansas. It seems pretty clear that we were the top #2 seed, followed by UVa.

Absolutely. Not sure where the idea that UA is the weakest 2 seed came from.

But back to UCLA, it wasn't just that last timeout where Alford let the assistants do all the strategizing. He was largely silent the whole game. I almost want to say disinterested but I don't watch enough Bruins sidelines to know if Alford does that all the time.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:UCLA did not deserve a bid, although it does demonstrate a certain degree of respect for Arizona - as UCLA's 2 most impressive outings in their last 10 were their relatively competitive losses to us,

In no way can an argument be made that Arizona was perceived as the weakest 2 seed by the committee - that would be Kansas. It seems pretty clear that we were the top #2 seed, followed by UVa.

If I recall the committee's rankings 1-68, we were the second 2 seed, Virginia was ahead of us. And yea, their grind-it-out games against us were the only and I mean the only argument u have for them getting in.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UCLA instead of Colorado State was Jerry Palm's only miss. And he really bashed it,
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote:UCLA instead of Colorado State was Jerry Palm's only miss. And he really bashed it,
But the eye test has UCLA better in its losses and gaining steam.

Rich getting richer at its stupidest.
gumby

Post by gumby »

When you consider that Palm doesn't go by eye test, then it's only one pick that meme is living on.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

"The easiest argument to shoot down is the idea that UCLA's presence in the NCAA tournament will lead to big TV ratings in Los Angeles or droves of fans from Southern California buying tickets. Anyone saying that doesn't understand college basketball's tenuous place in Los Angeles market.

Pauley Pavilion is half-empty for most UCLA home games and Bruins trail far behind the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, and USC football as a ratings draw. If only a few hundred UCLA fans bothered to make the four-hour drive to Las Vegas for the Pac-12 tournament, don't expect many more to travel cross-country to Louisville for an opening-round NCAA tournament game."

bruinzone.com/b12/index1.shtml

UCLA hoops: seriously, no one cares

HEH!
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Beachcat97 wrote:"The easiest argument to shoot down is the idea that UCLA's presence in the NCAA tournament will lead to big TV ratings in Los Angeles or droves of fans from Southern California buying tickets. Anyone saying that doesn't understand college basketball's tenuous place in Los Angeles market.

Pauley Pavilion is half-empty for most UCLA home games and Bruins trail far behind the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, and USC football as a ratings draw. If only a few hundred UCLA fans bothered to make the four-hour drive to Las Vegas for the Pac-12 tournament, don't expect many more to travel cross-country to Louisville for an opening-round NCAA tournament game."

HEH!
I always just assumed UCLAs hardcore fanbase was made up of alumni NOT living in LA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:"The easiest argument to shoot down is the idea that UCLA's presence in the NCAA tournament will lead to big TV ratings in Los Angeles or droves of fans from Southern California buying tickets. Anyone saying that doesn't understand college basketball's tenuous place in Los Angeles market.

HEH!
I always just assumed UCLAs hardcore fanbase was made up of alumni NOT living in LA.
UCLA's fans are either (a) in their 60s and 70s and don't attend games, (b) more interested in following UCLA through Arizona discussion boards, or (c) both (a) and (b)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Was a fun run. Hope Bryce declares...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

MrBug708 wrote:Was a fun run. Hope Bryce declares...
It's stupid when our guys here do it, it's worse with UCLA fans.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Two more years of Bryce. I wonder if we'll get another PG recruit for UCLA next year that...gasp!...doesn't qualify!!!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

alford certainly is on fire from 3 isn't he
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice dribble.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dribbling the ball off your foot with a minute left in a tight game . . .

Priceless
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Give Steve an extension asap!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ASUHATER! wrote:Not looking good. They will probably be an nit 1 seed.
They will walk into the sweet 16!!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Looks like ucla will be in another sweet 16
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

SCCats wrote:
Two more years of Bryce. I wonder if we'll get another PG recruit for UCLA next year that...gasp!...doesn't qualify!!!

Bryce is contemplating putting his name in the draft..
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Looks like ucla will be in another sweet 16
Nothing like rewarding the 11th seed, eh?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:
SCCats wrote:

You think you're going to get that lucky?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

SCCats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Nope
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

One other person on this planet thought Bryce's shot was a good attempt.

Kobe with his fingerprints all over the UCLA program!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:
SCCats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Nope
:lol:

Me either.

Although if UCLA people know any NBA GMs, they should bribe the GM to make Bryce a first round promise. That'd probably be a useful $1M bribe and less expensive than firing daddy.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

The sad part is that without him they are likely going home. Biggest asset, and glaring weakness? Dude is a walking contradiction..