Re: Sean Miller

Post by azgreg »

prh wrote:No way Romar would take Pepperdine if he was about to become our HC
That's what I was thinking.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

prh wrote:No way Romar would take Pepperdine if he was about to become our HC
No way we'd make Romar our coach if Miller leaves.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Romar would never have been next in line for Arizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Could have been a one year temp coach a la Russ Pennel.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

If Miller leaves it's because we are in trouble. Few coaches are going to want to be the transition guy just for us to make a real hire in 3 years. Having Romar be that transition guy would be much better than alternatives.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

prh wrote:If Miller leaves it's because we are in trouble. Few coaches are going to want to be the transition guy just for us to make a real hire in 3 years. Having Romar be that transition guy would be much better than alternatives.
not necessarily. at this point if i was miller i'd be completely over larry scott, the pac 12 and the crap he's being dealing with and would be aching to go be an assistant on any NBA team or to go back east and become the head coach of a mid-level big east or atlantic 10 team.

Phylek

Post by Phylek »

ASUHATER! wrote:
prh wrote:If Miller leaves it's because we are in trouble. Few coaches are going to want to be the transition guy just for us to make a real hire in 3 years. Having Romar be that transition guy would be much better than alternatives.
not necessarily. at this point if i was miller i'd be completely over larry scott, the pac 12 and the crap he's being dealing with and would be aching to go be an assistant on any NBA team or to go back east and become the head coach of a mid-level big east or atlantic 10 team.
This. This is the most likely scenario for us losing Miller.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Phylek wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
This. This is the most likely scenario for us losing Miller.
Seriously, if I was Miller, at this point I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go take the Providence or Richmond or St. Joseph's or Seton Hall job or something just to get out of the crap that's been going on. He could easily turn one of those programs into a consistent top 25 level team that competes for conference titles or good tournament runs.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Miller lost to Matta, Miller lost to Mack. What's going to happen vs Cal
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

prh wrote:Remember early in the year when we were saying that Duse and Deandre shouldn't be on the court together? But Sean inexplicably kept playing them together?

This is why none of us are getting paid for this :lol:
Good one prh....In Miller We Trust!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I don't think Miller is a quiter and I think he has the chops to deal with a down year if necessary. Remember he said I'm not afraid to lose. There is no one I want to coach Arizona more. He is a tireless worker and is driven to be the best.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

NYCat wrote:Miller lost to Matta, Miller lost to Mack. What's going to happen vs Cal
Miller also beat Matta and Mack in the tourney.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

TheCat wrote:I don't think Miller is a quiter and I think he has the chops to deal with a down year if necessary. Remember he said I'm not afraid to lose. There is no one I want to coach Arizona more. He is a tireless worker and is driven to be the best.
This! I agree with TheCat. I have to be optimistic here as I’ve always bought into CSM and still believe he didn’t do anything wrong....I will continue to believe in him until PROVEN wrong. BTFD!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

zonagrad wrote:
NYCat wrote:Miller lost to Matta, Miller lost to Mack. What's going to happen vs Cal
Did he beat matta and Mack in the same tourney? I know he lost to matta then beat him in the next couple of years.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

zonagrad wrote:
You're right, I don't think I watched the much of the 2015 team until the Wisconsin game, probably why have no memory of it.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

NYCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
You're right, I don't think I watched the much of the 2015 team until the Wisconsin game, probably why have no memory of it.
He beat Matta in the round of 32 then Mack in S16 that year before getting Dekkered in the Elite 8.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

"Talking to various coaches tonight that believe Sean Miller wants to come to Pitt now that he's having troubles..."

https://twitter.com/ChrisDokish/status/ ... 29952?s=19" target="_blank
prh

Post by prh »

Bosy Billups wrote:"Talking to various coaches tonight that believe Sean Miller wants to come to Pitt now that he's having troubles..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Bosy Billups wrote:"Talking to various coaches tonight that believe Sean Miller wants to come to Pitt now that he's having troubles..."

If Miller is tainted goods with NCAA troubles, why the hell would Pitt want that problem after the dumpster fire they just put out with Stallings?

Various coaches? Like, YMCA coaches? Is that the same knucklehead who had Miller in Pittsburgh the same time he was walking the UA campus?
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

prh wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pitt is a disaster.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

zonagrad wrote:

If Miller is tainted goods with NCAA troubles, why the hell would Pitt want that problem after the dumpster fire they just put out with Stallings?

Various coaches? Like, YMCA coaches? Is that the same knucklehead who had Miller in Pittsburgh the same time he was walking the UA campus?
If I'm Pitt, I wait to see what happens with Miller. It's not going to be the best job open at anytime this offseason. If Miller is connected and let go of Arizona, is crawl to Sean if I'm that AD. By the time that program is ready to compete again, anything bad to happen to happen to Sean will be over by then. Even a tainted Miller will be better than anything they can land. Romar might have been better than anything they will likely land. They went from Howland to Dixon to...Stallings
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

MrBug708 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

If I'm Pitt, I wait to see what happens with Miller. It's not going to be the best job open at anytime this offseason. If Miller is connected and let go of Arizona, is crawl to Sean if I'm that AD. By the time that program is ready to compete again, anything bad to happen to happen to Sean will be over by then. Even a tainted Miller will be better than anything they can land. Romar might have been better than anything they will likely land. They went from Howland to Dixon to...Stallings
The bigger issue is the league. Pitt hasn't finished better than 5th in the ACC since they joined. They can't recruit at an ACC level.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If Miller leaves I'd bet it would be for Pitt at this point. Why not if you're him?

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

ASUHATER! wrote:If Miller leaves I'd bet it would be for Pitt at this point. Why not if you're him?
Typically people of Miller's caliber aim to step up, not down. There are arguments he's tired of the spotlight, his parents are close, etc. But would be a sad move for him IMO. The way he is talking, sounds like no intention of leaving AZ.

Although, a national championship or final four, could see him take a few years off just to get back to a nornal life. Think he's said in the past doesn't intend to coach into his 60's and 70's like others. Leave on top, join the Warriors as an assistant.

Or, he goes scorched earth and rebuilds AZ again an does the multiple Final Four thing. Could see that too.

'97 knows.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

I can't believe these Pitt people are starting this shit again. They were burned by it two years ago and their program has taken a massive step backwards since. Regardless of what Miller does after this season, rebuilding Pitt would be a massive undertaking.

EDIT: They also have only landed two top 150 kids (per 247) since 2015. Building those recruiting pipelines will be incredibly difficult.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

SabinoDrifter wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

The bigger issue is the league. Pitt hasn't finished better than 5th in the ACC since they joined. They can't recruit at an ACC level.
Speaking of not being able to recruit at an ACC level, look at Virginia's 2017 and 2018 classes
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Pitt just made a bad hire, fired him after two years and paid a $10m penalty.

Pitt will not be laying down a $25m contact for “potential FBI target” Sean Miller.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This patently Miller-coached team with its gritty, full-of-effort, manned-up, defensively-flourishing March product, and its outright conference championship and conference tourney championship in spite of all the obstacles, has taken care of business.

With that behind us, and now heading into the insanity of a tourney with an especially questionable seeding job by this year's committee, what's the minimum this team needs to accomplish in the tourney for you to be satisfied with Miller's accomplishments this year?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

We won the PAC regular season title. I’m already satisfied.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm good. A first round exit would suck and take the air out of a great season. Getting a 4 seed is just total NCAA b.s.

If this somehow survives Kentucky AND Virginia, Miller is no longer a witch, he's a god. Not THE God, but a lesser Deity.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Win & Vindicate
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: now heading into the insanity of a tourney with an especially questionable seeding job by this year's committee, what's the minimum this team needs to accomplish in the tourney for you to be satisfied with Miller's accomplishments this year?
Integrated team play marked by 40 minutes of defense and focus. Lack of focus (turnovers, lazy passes) lack of effort (defense) will crush me more than the inability to put the ball through the hole.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m good. I truly have no expectations because we could be either a first round out or to all the way. Just want to watch and enjoy.

What dove said. If we do that and lose, so be it.

Expectations for team? Play well enough that Miller forgets all the crap and stays on to reload the program.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

For me, the biggest success of this season is keeping Sean Miller as coach. He’s the right guy for this job and has weathered an unbelievable shit storm this season.

For the tourney, I’m starving for a FF, but I wouldn’t be broken-hearted to see it end prematurely. Let’s see how they look on Thursday and get to that Davidson/UK winner. I’m proud of this team’s accomplishments already. If they manage to get hot the next couple weeks, it would be a really nice moment for our coach. He deserves some good luck.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Given the shit storm this team has faced all year it would be amazing in my mind if they get to the sweet 16. Getting through the first weekend is no small feat for any team.

Having said that, I would love to be on the national stage against the "darlings" of VA and have our Monster stuff a big Fuck You up their ass.

This would make me giddy.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Having said that, I would love to be on the national stage against the "darlings" of VA and have our Monster stuff a big Fuck You up their ass.
:lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just wanna point this out: Sean has the same number of Pac titles (5) in his first 9 seasons at AZ as Lute did.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Very happy with how this has all turned around. Still have lots to wade through so I would like to not think about that for about 3 weeks so win win win please.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If you do one thing before Thursday's game, watch this. Fast forward it to 22:00 and listen. Then thank me later.

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Great call O'Dogg.

I hope we always clap them off the court - win or lose.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

am I the only one who cant hear what he's saying at 22 minutes?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya the audio quality is terrible. Miller talks about how Lute created this amazing fan base and how the guys can't take it for granted as most college players only experience crowds like that at home games. Deandre said he was warned about how Tucson fans travel. He didn't think it would be anything like what he saw in Vegas. It felt like McKale
Last edited by Jefe on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Q. For all three of you, when you come to Vegas, it's Tucson north. How does that make you feel? Is it just like home comfort?

SEAN MILLER: I always try to stress to these guys don't ever take it for granted because it's not like that everywhere. In most cases, the only experience they'll get in college is the place they choose, so they don't know the other side. Our fans, the thing that's amazing about our fans is they're passionate.

They love the U of A, but because of what Coach Olson did, and because of so many great, great teams and players that have been here for decades, they are very smart. They're not just fans that cheer when the ball goes in the basket and boo when things aren't going well, they have a loyalty and an understanding of a bigger picture. And you sense that as a player. And McKale, a lot of times our worst basketball that we play is met with the loudest cheer. In some arenas it's not like that.

So these guys, as they move through life, I think that's why so many of our former players love the University of Arizona so much because that's what they remember. They remember being here or they remember being at McKale, but our fans are awesome.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Dawn of the end
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's over
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Easily top 3 worst games of his career.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Miller needs to go.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote:
Yes even though Ristic is incredibly efficient, Ayton having to chase a small 4 all night was.leading to easy layup drills. Ayton is far more talented so you can't sit him