UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by Irish27 »

I thought Brown was going to UCLA. Watch him end up at Cal.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote: Were those both possibilities?
If there was a time machine that Dan Guerrero could jump in and make the right hire to lead that program . . . maybe.
Mississippi State just signed a guy who has a good track record of success on the West Coast. You have to think they could pry him away from Starkville.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's taken a little longer than I expected, but most elite recruits are finally realizing that UCLA is a terrible place to play college basketball, especially if you have no interest in earning a degree.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

wtf ucla?

is alfraud still complaining about how fatigued and annoyed he is with recruiting?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

is alfraud still complaining about how fatigued and annoyed he is with recruiting?
err, make that fatigued and irritated...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Reality and despair are setting in for UCLA fans, as they should.

It's just not an attractive program.

Good timing for Cal to be on the rise.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Steve Alford gave the team defensive player award to Isaac Hamilton.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Yikes
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Coop Cat wrote:Yikes
It's not a man's schedule if they go 0-4 in those games.

Heh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It's a man's schedule no matter what. Whether it's a losing man's or a winning man's remains to be seen.

Unfortunately for the PAC, much of its OOC rep will be determined by Bryce Alford.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Steve going through round 2 of "I dare you to fire me."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:It's a man's schedule no matter what. Whether it's a losing man's or a winning man's remains to be seen.

Unfortunately for the PAC, much of its OOC rep will be determined by Bryce Alford.
F*** OOC rep. We just need to win games and the rest will take care of itself. Our conference RPI will be higher next season, so it's a wash. If we're Pac champs again, we'll be positioned well for March.

Looking forward to winning (at least) two more games vs. UCLA next season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never thought I would see the day where Duke would play a harder OOC schedule than Arizona. Besides UA playing no games east of Tucson.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alford managed to land Jalen Hill, 5* C from Corona
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Alford managed to land Jalen Hill, 5* C from Corona
Not a 5 star. But nice try, loser.

The only Bruin, current or future, who is even remotely "Arizona good" is probably Welsh.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hill is a 4 star pf, not a 5 star center. Still a good pickup for ucla.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

The only Bruin, current or future, who is even remotely "Arizona good" is probably Welsh.
Scout 5
Rivals 4

And any way you slice it, he's a really good player and Arizona was definitely interested. Sorry to break that news to you BC.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Scout 5
Rivals 4

And any way you slice it, he's a really good player and Arizona was definitely interested. Sorry to break that news to you BC.
If he's ever on a team that beats Arizona, we can revisit this.

If Miller and Alford go after the same player, all other things being equal (ie: time invested in the recruit, etc.), that player is picking Arizona. It's been this way for a while.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Scout 5
Rivals 4

If Miller and Alford go after the same player, all other things being equal (ie: time invested in the recruit, etc.), that player is picking Arizona. It's been this way for a while.
Your qualifier, "all other things being equal" is a non-starter. Things are never equal. There are pros and cons for all players considering both schools and how those line up usually determines where they go.

Sean Miller was recruiting Jalen Hill. Steve Alford got his commitment. It's ok BC, it happens. I'm sure Sean and the other coaches are on to the next target, and don't have this silly notion in their minds that they can get any recruit in California and the southwest they want just by snapping their fingers like you seem to. Recruiting is hard work. Kudos to Alford for bagging a big time recruit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Scout 5
Rivals 4

Your qualifier, "all other things being equal" is a non-starter. Things are never equal. There are pros and cons for all players considering both schools and how those line up usually determines where they go.

Sean Miller was recruiting Jalen Hill. Steve Alford got his commitment. It's ok BC, it happens. I'm sure Sean and the other coaches are on to the next target, and don't have this silly notion in their minds that they can get any recruit in California and the southwest they want just by snapping their fingers like you seem to. Recruiting is hard work. Kudos to Alford for bagging a big time recruit.
I just don't think UCLA/Aflord has the same appeal these days as Arizona/Miller, so if a guy picks UCLA, I can only think it's because the former was showing up to more events, making more calls, etc. And if Miller and his staff were putting in less time with Hill, then he wasn't as high a priority as guys like Jackson and Hands, both of whom I expect to end up at AZ.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I just don't think UCLA/Aflord has the same appeal these days as Arizona/Miller, so if a guy picks UCLA, I can only think it's because the former was showing up to more events, making more calls, etc. And if Miller and his staff were putting in less time with Hill, then he wasn't as high a priority as guys like Jackson and Hands, both of whom I expect to end up at AZ.
That is some impressive logic.

Sean Miller simply couldn't have been putting in the same amount of effort into Hill because Alford got the commitment and since he obviously wasn't putting in the effort Hill wasn't a high priority. Do I have that right? But you have no facts to base this on except that Hill chose UCLA. Right?

Dude, we recently lost a highly ranked recruit to Cal of all places. A program with about 1/100th the prestige and history of UCLA. Not every recruiting battle is going to be won by Sean Miller simply because you think he's some sort of god on the recruiting trail.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I just don't think UCLA/Aflord has the same appeal these days as Arizona/Miller, so if a guy picks UCLA, I can only think it's because the former was showing up to more events, making more calls, etc. And if Miller and his staff were putting in less time with Hill, then he wasn't as high a priority as guys like Jackson and Hands, both of whom I expect to end up at AZ.

Sean Miller simply couldn't have been putting in the same amount of effort into Hill because Alford got the commitment and since he obviously wasn't putting in the effort Hill wasn't a high priority. Do I have that right? But you have no facts to base this on except that Hill chose UCLA. Right?

Dude, we recently lost a highly ranked recruit to Cal of all places. A program with about 1/100th the prestige and history of UCLA. Not every recruiting battle is going to be won by Sean Miller simply because you think he's some sort of god on the recruiting trail.
That's true. Miller's recruiting success is greatly overstated. AG, Stanley, Rondae, Zeus, Trier, Smith, Simon, Jerrett, Ashley, NJ...these were aberrations.

Miller is most certainly not a god on the recruiting trail.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

That's true. Miller's recruiting success is greatly overstated. AG, Stanley, Rondae, Zeus, Trier, Smith, Simon, Jerrett, Ashley, NJ...these were aberrations.

Do you live in a fantasy world where guys like Justise Winslow, Ivan Rabb, and Jalen Hill cease to exist as soon as they commit elsewhere?

No one is a god on the recruiting trail. Even Calipari loses recruits to other schools. Time to grow up and come to grips with that. Or don't, and live in a reality of your own creation where all Sean Miller has to do is make eye contact with a recruit and they swoon at his feet. If he picks them up, they are Arizona Good. If he steps over their inert body and keeps walking, then they're trash.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:

ASUHATER! wrote:Hill is a 4 star pf, not a 5 star center. Still a good pickup for ucla.
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... terest=Low
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

You said he wasn't a 5 star, which was obviously wrong. I know his rankings, but I've been using BRO since forever and the lead west coast analyst for scout is basically why this board exists, so I used scout.

Stick to following Machina around instead of trying to policing everyone. Acting like RC97 doesn't help your cause
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Do you live in a fantasy world where guys like Justise Winslow, Ivan Rabb, and Jalen Hill cease to exist as soon as they commit elsewhere?

No one is a god on the recruiting trail. Even Calipari loses recruits to other schools. Time to grow up and come to grips with that. Or don't, and live in a reality of your own creation where all Sean Miller has to do is make eye contact with a recruit and they swoon at his feet. If he picks them up, they are Arizona Good. If he steps over their inert body and keeps walking, then they're trash.
Chi, Chi, Chi...all I'm saying is that Miller tends to not whiff on guys he's making high priorities, Rabb being the only real exception in the last several years. And with Rabb, it was a situation where the guy wanted to play close to home, so I don't consider it a slight against Miller/AZ.

Every year, as you know, there are *several* guys Miller's staff is tracking and recruiting. We can't spend the same amount of time and resources on *every* guy, so there's a prioritization that emerges, either intentionally or unintentionally. Given the astonishing (and yes, "godlike") recruiting success that Miller has had recently, I tend to think that we are *getting* the guys who are top priorities, again Rabb being the only major exception. So if Hill committed this early, I have to think he wasn't prioritized as highly as others in the '17 class.

But I do respect your opinion.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nothing wrong in playing closer to home. Pretty long horrible drive to the games though from Corona to Westwood.

His stats seem a little underwhelming though: averaging 6.5 points per game, 5.8 rebounds per game and 1.3 blocks per game.

but he is only 15, so who knows how much he is going to blow up.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Nah, no traffic in LA
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
You said he wasn't a 5 star, which was obviously wrong. I know his rankings, but I've been using BRO since forever and the lead west coast analyst for scout is basically why this board exists, so I used scout.

Stick to following Machina around instead of trying to policing everyone. Acting like RC97 doesn't help your cause
247 sports averages all recruiting service rankings and ratings. 4 stars. That is the average accepted rating. Scout is the outlier. So no, I wasn't wrong at all.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

247 sports averages all recruiting service rankings and ratings. 4 stars. That is the average accepted rating. Scout is the outlier. So no, I wasn't wrong at all.
lol

Never change
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it just never ends
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:

lol

Never change
Literally all I did was post a link to 247. If you disagree with their methods and only want to use scout, then so be it. Take your whining to 247 sports. I just posted a link that contradicts your link because it takes into account all information..not just some. Shrug

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:it just never ends
That Miller is a witch on the recruiting trail?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

97cats wrote:it just never ends
Does ucla land Cody Riley and Jaylen Hands?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

It's fun to watch UA and UCLA fans argue over KU's scraps :P
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:It's fun to watch UA and UCLA fans argue over KU's scraps :P
It's fun to watch you puff out your chest about your once proud program and hang recruiting championship banners in your own mind.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:It's fun to watch UA and UCLA fans argue over KU's scraps :P
This post makes no sense at all. It's like he doesn't realize Arizona has had 5 straight top 5 classes. We sure do only get recruiting scraps alright!

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Can hardly remember the last recruiting battle we lost to asschaps?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

azcat49 wrote:Can hardly remember the last recruiting battle we lost to asschaps?
Carlton Bragg.

Looks like Rivals moved Lonzo Ball up to #5 in the 2016 class. Looks like Alford is killing it when it comes to PAC 16 recruiting.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

enfuego wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Can hardly remember the last recruiting battle we lost to asschaps?
Carlton Bragg.

Looks like Rivals moved Lonzo Ball up to #5 in the 2016 class. Looks like Alford is killing it when it comes to PAC 16 recruiting.
Try again on Bragg!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

enfuego wrote:
Carlton Bragg.

Be sure to let us know when Alford has a single recruiting class ranked ahead of one of Miller's. Hasn't happened yet, and won't.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

so sad to see ku's inferiority complex with ucla rear its head. as if enfuego's constant hang-wringing over UofA wasn't bad enough...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dirtbags wrote:so sad to see ku's inferiority complex with ucla rear its head. as if enfuego's constant hang-wringing over UofA wasn't bad enough...
KU is in no way inferior to UCLA, but I get your point.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Carlton Bragg.

Be sure to let us know when Alford has a single recruiting class ranked ahead of one of Miller's. Hasn't happened yet, and won't.
He's in the lead for 2016. :D
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Carlton Bragg.

He's in the lead for 2016. :D
If we only land Jackson, Leaf it's a better class
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/steve- ... ags%20=srm[sport%20%E2%80%93%20ncaab%2Ccontent%20-%20text-based]

Bryce is coming for you guys. Top 50 player in all of college
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

...Alford?

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/steve- ... ags%20=srm[sport%20%E2%80%93%20ncaab%2Ccontent%20-%20text-based]

Bryce is coming for you guys. Top 50 player in all of college
:lol:

Lonzo Ball better watch out!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:...Alford?
Yessir

The author is in a twitter war for a few people