Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Sean Miller

Post by RichardCranium »

enfuego wrote:
azcat49 wrote:"That's a man baby" "I swear someone beat her with an ugly stick"
People can't control how they look.
If that were even remotely true, at least 2 dozen magazines and who knows how many websites would be out of business.

Some examples:

Who Magazine

hollyscoop

Don't forget to tell it to Kim and to Bruce/Caitlyn (or really the entire clan, for that matter).
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

In a exhibition game, after trailing for most of the game, USA beats Greece 90-82,
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Now that his european vacation is over when is he going to get back to work? ;)
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

:lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I fucking love Sean Miller.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

That's some funny shit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In case anyone wonders why Amy's Twitter handle is @abballwidow...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This one's for enfuego and his "substitution patterns were random and disrupting" comment:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... CxbFvZAw4i

Miller and his staff did a phenomenal job. With such a young roster and a short time to prepare, Miller and assistants Ed Cooley of Providence and Archie Miller of Dayton got the U.S. to play excellent help defense, to switch efficiently on crosses and pick-and-rolls, to locate open shooters and to compete on a game-by-game basis.

Miller had to make some difficult calls. Trier, who will play for his Arizona Wildcats next season, did not shoot well and made a few key errors. Miller did not hesitate to sub for him when it was necessary.

Down the stretch of the final, Miller seemed to develop almost a magic touch.

Peak entered the game for Ferguson with 7:01 and the game tied at 53-all; less than 90 seconds later it was Peak’s 3-pointer that broke a 55-all tie. Jackson came in for Tatum at the 3:55 mark; 104 seconds later Jackson nailed a three that turned a one-point deficit into a two-point lead. Onuaku came in with 26 seconds left in regulation and started the overtime; his block of a Croatia 3-pointer was turned into a dunk by Tatum and meant the U.S. would never surrender the lead.

Miller coached like a champion. A world champion now, maybe an NCAA champion eventually.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Time to see what Miller's recruiting is very good or great.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

UAEebs86 wrote:This one's for enfuego and his "substitution patterns were random and disrupting" comment:

Miller and his staff did a phenomenal job. With such a young roster and a short time to prepare, Miller and assistants Ed Cooley of Providence and Archie Miller of Dayton got the U.S. to play excellent help defense, to switch efficiently on crosses and pick-and-rolls, to locate open shooters and to compete on a game-by-game basis.

Miller had to make some difficult calls. Trier, who will play for his Arizona Wildcats next season, did not shoot well and made a few key errors. Miller did not hesitate to sub for him when it was necessary.

Peak entered the game for Ferguson with 7:01 and the game tied at 53-all; less than 90 seconds later it was Peak’s 3-pointer that broke a 55-all tie. Jackson came in for Tatum at the 3:55 mark; 104 seconds later Jackson nailed a three that turned a one-point deficit into a two-point lead. Onuaku came in with 26 seconds left in regulation and started the overtime; his block of a Croatia 3-pointer was turned into a dunk by Tatum and meant the U.S. would never surrender the lead.

Miller coached like a champion. A world champion now, maybe an NCAA champion eventually.

That's not coaching. That's players making plays.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Coaching, the art of putting people in position to have success (builds confidence you know). Of course having a guy like chaps doesn't allow you to see a lot of that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:This one's for enfuego and his "substitution patterns were random and disrupting" comment:

That's not coaching. That's players making plays.
I've never heard of the two as separate until your post.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This kid has the weakest troll game I have seen in a long time..
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... five-years

3) Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, Mark Few, Mark Turgeon and Mark Gottfried all coach programs that made the list even despite the fact none of those men have made a Final Four. Which one will be the next to join the Final Four club?

Norlander: Well, Turgeon's the choice here, right? Not an easy choice, but he appears to have the best team heading into this season. Man, all of those guys should absolutely have a Final Four, at least one, on their resumes by the time they retire. It's of course very possible two of these guys check that box in the upcoming season; Gonzaga will still be good enough to reach a Final Four, as will Virginia. Arizona, in a "down" year, will still be viable. To expand the question, just for fun, my guess is Sean Miller winds up with four Final Four appearances in his career, besting the other four mentioned.

Parrish: Yeah, I'll go with Turgeon too -- if only because I think he has the best chance, based on preseason rankings, to get it done this season. I love the mix of talent and experience Maryland has on its roster and, fairly regularly, we see at least one team make the Final Four mostly because a couple of borderline first-round picks decided to return to school. Wisconsin is the most recent example thanks to Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker deciding to skip the 2014 NBA Draft even though either could've reasonably entered. And, it's possible, Maryland could be the next example thanks to Melo Trimble and Jake Layman both deciding to skip the 2015 NBA Draft even though either could've reasonably entered. So put me down for Turgeon -- although, like Norlander mentioned, Bennett and Few both have rosters that are, on paper, good enough to also make it this season. And, now that I'm thinking about it, Few also sort of checks the I-have-two-borderline-pros-back box thanks to Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis, like Trimble and Layman, deciding to skip the 2015 NBA Draft. So I guess my double-answer would be Turgeon or Few. But, gun to head, when asked to pick one, I'll go with Turgeon.

Vecenie: I'll go against the grain here and say Miller. For my money, he is the best guy in this group of elite coaches. He's certainly the best recruiter of the bunch, and tactically his defenses have been among the best in the business for a long time. He's also come the closest of the bunch, reaching four Elite Eights and two additional Sweet 16s. This year, his team is pretty young, but it has much more offensive talent than his groups in the past couple of years. If he can get them to defend -- like all of his teams do -- there's enough talent here to make a run this season. And if none of these coaches reach the Final Four this year? Next year's Wildcats will likely be even better than the preseason top-10 group they have returning.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

MSN has a list posted today of the highest paid public employee in each state and Sean Miller is number one for Arizona. The funny thing is that they have Rich Rod's picture in the slideshow.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/savingan ... i|3Arizona

> Highest paid employee: Sean Miller

> Position: College basketball coach

> Salary: $3.07 million

University of Arizona men’s basketball coach Sean Miller is the highest-paid public employee in Arizona. Since he was hired in 2011, Miller has lead the Wildcats to more road wins during conference play than any other team in the conference. Miller earned over $3 million in 2014.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I understand in Title, but doesn't the AD self-fund Miller's salary? So how is he a "public employee" when he doesn't touch public funds, unlike Fraud Graham up north?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I understand in Title, but doesn't the AD self-fund Miller's salary? So how is he a "public employee" when he doesn't touch public funds, unlike Fraud Graham up north?
Technically anything the AD makes belongs to the University, which is state owned, so there ya go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Along with getting state benefits such as health and retirement, which is taxpayer funded.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:Along with getting state benefits such as health and retirement, which is taxpayer funded.
Actually state employees are required to pay into the state's retirement fund here in AZ. It is mandatory, and it is a percentage of the paycheck. Not saying that tax money doesn't match it, but employees do pay into the ASRS.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... 91ab4.html

UA revises accelerated retention plan for Miller, Byrne
Both UA basketball coach Sean Miller and AD Greg Byrne will be able to cash out of their multimillion dollar booster-funded retention plans two years earlier if the Arizona Board of Regents approve their revised contracts next week.

The Regents voted in June 2014 to approve a plan that allowed Byrne, Miller and football coach Rich Rodriguez to begin vesting in their shares of a master limited partnership (signup may be required to read the details here) over an eight-year period through 2022.

Rodriguez and Miller were each allotted 175,000 shares, worth $6.19 million when the deal was outlined in May 2014, while Byrne had 100,000 shares set aside for an initial value of $3.54 million. (As of Thursday's market close, however, the coaches' packages are valued at $4.20 million each and Byrne's is worth $2.4 million because the MLP's share price has dropped 32 percent since the plan was drawn up in May 2014).

Rodriguez' retention plan was already shortened to six years at the June 2015 Regents meeting, though a similar deal for Miller was delayed by what Byrne then called a "technical issue" in the proposal.

The proposal initially to be submitted in June said Miller could collect his vested amount if he left UA "for any reason," and the new one (attached as a PDF) says he won't get anything if he "voluntarily terminates his employment or if he is terminated for cause for a reason other than disability or death" before 2020.

Miller can collect his vested amount before 2020, however, if he is fired without cause or leaves because of a "substantial physical or mental incapacity or death."

The revised deal also accelerates the vesting schedule for Byrne and Miller to where they will be two-thirds vested immediately upon approval of the deal and fully vested on June 1, 2017.

While the retention changes are favorable to both Byrne and Miller, there's a downside for UA in that 90 percent of the shares go out of the school's control two years earlier. The combined 500,000 MLP shares (50,000 are assigned at the school's discretion) are expected to spin off a significant six-figure amount of income each year that the school is allowed to keep, meaning UA could lose around $1 million over two years between 2020-2022.

Meanwhile, the proposal seeks to extend both Byrne and Miller's contracts for a year each through 2019-2020. Miller will receive a $100,000 raise for that year, while Byrne will be elevated by $50,000 to a total of $750,000.

Miller has $100,000 salary escalators in all but one season on his remaining contract. For this season, he is guaranteed $1.4 million in base pay from the UA, plus $700,000 for peripheral duties and about $400,000 total from Nike and IMG for a total package of $2.5 million plus bonuses. His total package would be $2.8 million plus bonuses in the final year of 2019-20.

Miller will also receive the full $2.1 million of another, university funded, retention plan if he stays through next spring. That fund allotted $300,000 for each year since Miller's arrival in 2009 if he stayed until 2016.

Byrne is scheduled to earn $650,000 for 2015-16 and the revised proposal to be voted on next Friday in Flagstaff seeks to modify some of Byrne's incentives.

Instead of being rewarded for the student graduation rate in relation to the overall student graduation rate -- the proposal said there is "no valid comparative data" for general students -- Byrne can now earn a bonus based on UA's multi-year Academic Progress Rates.

If all UA teams have 950 or higher APRs, Byrne can earn a bonus of one week of his base pay ($12,500 this year). He'll get two weeks' bonus if the APRs are 975 or up and three weeks if they are all a perfect 1,000.

In addition, the proposal seeks to lower the bonus threshold for finishes in the Directors Cup, which measures all of a department's teams against the rest of Division I.

Byrne will get a bonus of one week's salary if UA finishes 16-25 (previously UA had to be in the 6-10 range), two weeks if it finishes 2-15 (previously 2-5) and four weeks bonus pay if UA finishes first. UA was 36th in the 2014-15 standings and 26th in 2013-14.

"The change is .. is to make this category more realistic given that UA competes against many programs located in larger markets and that have significantly greater resources," the proposal stated.

Proposals for both Miller and Byrne note that their compensation is paid entirely with funds generated by the athletic department.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pascoe:

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... ium=direct

When the Arizona Board of Regents voted to approve a multimillion-dollar retention plan for UA’s three highest-profile athletic department employees in June 2014, it was at no cost of their own.

House money, in a sense.

An unnamed UA benefactor had donated nearly $18 million worth of stock to fund an unusual plan that would annually spin off significant six-figure dollar amounts of stock yields for the school while potentially giving UA athletic director Greg Byrne, football coach Rich Rodriguez and basketball coach Sean Miller incentive to stick around until 2022.

Today, the Regents will vote on whether to pass that money along even faster, in a move that could cost UA about $1 million in forfeited stock income while allowing Byrne and Miller to cash out two years earlier. A similarly accelerated plan for Rodriguez was approved in June.

A “yes” vote would also give Miller and Byrne one-year contract extensions to 2020, matching the extension Rodriguez received in June.

Although the move is clearly a benefit to Miller and Byrne, motivation for the school’s proposal is unclear. A request for comment from UA president Ann Weaver Hart was unsuccessful, while Byrne said he couldn’t comment before the Regents voted.

In addition, a spokesman for the company whose shares were donated said the benefactor did not want to comment on the proposed change because it was “university business.”

Here’s a look at how the deal is evolving:

The original plan

The benefactor donated 500,000 shares in a publicly traded Master Limited Partnership (identified as Western Refining Logistics LP by the Financial Times), with 175,000 shares each allotted for Miller and Rodriguez, 100,000 for Byrne and 50,000 to be used at the school’s discretion.

Since the MLP shares were worth $35.36 at the time of the deal’s structure in May 2014, that meant Miller and Rodriguez had $6.19 million worth of stock set aside for them and Byrne had $3.54 million. However, the stock price has slipped 34 percent since then.

Each of the three employees were entitled to the entire amount of their shares if they did not voluntarily leave before 2022. They could collect their full shares if fired without cause after four years, or receive a prorated amount if fired without cause before four years.

Rodriguez’s new deal

The Regents voted in June to allow Rodriguez to receive 25 percent of his stock outright on March 15, 2016 — a more immediate incentive, but one that could all but lock him in for the 2016-17 season, since football head coaching hires are typically made before mid-March.

Rodriguez can collect another 25 percent in 2018 and the final 50 percent in 2020. His base salary also rose from $1.6 million to $1.775 million this season while his bonus incentives decreased. His contract was also extended through 2020.

Miller’s proposed deal

Miller was initially scheduled to have a similar change to his retention plan at the June 2015 Regents meeting but the proposal was withdrawn because of what Byrne called a technical issue.

The proposal initially to be submitted in June said Miller could collect his vested amount if he left UA “for any reason,” and the new one says he won’t get anything if he “voluntarily terminates his employment or if he is terminated for cause for a reason other than disability or death” before 2020.

Miller can collect his vested amount before 2020, however, if he is fired without cause or leaves because of a “substantial physical or mental incapacity or death.” And instead of waiting until 2018 to be fully vested, Miller would be 75 percent vested as of today’s expected approval, and fully vested on June 1, 2017 (again, with a late date that would likely lock Miller in for 2017-18).

Miller will also receive a $100,000 raise in his extended contract year of 2019-20. He has $100,000 salary escalators in all but one season on his remaining contract. For this season, Miller is guaranteed $1.4 million in base pay from the UA, plus $700,000 for peripheral duties and about $400,000 total from Nike and IMG for a total package of $2.5 million plus bonuses. His total package would be $2.8 million plus bonuses in the final year of 2019-20.

Byrne’s proposed deal

Byrne will have the same vesting schedule as Miller, while his salary will increase $25,000 to $750,000 in 2019-20. He is scheduled to earn $650,000 for the 2015-16 school year.

At the same time, some of Byrne’s incentives will change. Instead of being rewarded for the student graduation rate in relation to the overall student graduation rate — the proposal said there is “no valid comparative data” for general students — Byrne instead can now earn a bonus based on UA’s multi-year Academic Progress Rates.

If all UA teams have 950 or higher APRs, Byrne can earn a bonus of one week of his base pay ($12,500 this year). He’ll get two weeks’ bonus if the APRs are 975 or higher and three weeks if they are all a perfect 1,000.

In addition, the proposal would lower the bonus thresholds for finishes in the Directors’ Cup, which measures all of a department’s teams against the rest of Division I.

Byrne will get a bonus of one week’s salary if UA finishes 16-25 (previously UA had to be in the 6-10 range), two weeks if it finishes 2-15 (previously 2-5) and four weeks’ bonus pay if UA finishes first. UA was 36th in the 2014-15 standings and 26th in 2013-14.

“The change is ... to make this category more realistic given that UA competes against many programs located in larger markets and that have significantly greater resources,” the proposal stated.

Proposals for both Miller and Byrne note that their compensation is paid entirely with funds generated by the athletic department.

The stock’s value

As of Wednesday’s market close, the donated Master Limited Partnership shares were worth $23.41, a drop of 34 percent since the plan was drawn up in May 2014. That means the coaches’ shares are worth $4.1 million and Byrne’s is worth $2.3 million.

However, the MLP is currently yielding about 5.9 percent annually. That rate suggests UA would earn about $600,000 in each year it remained in control of the 450,000 shares set aside for Rodriguez, Miller and Byrne. So by giving the stock back to them two years earlier, UA could lose over $1 million in forfeited yield.

UA-funded retention plans

All three employees are also nearing payouts for separate, university-funded retention plans.

Miller will receive $2.1 million if he stays through the end of the 2015-16 season, with UA having set aside $300,000 for each year he has coached the Wildcats since arriving in 2009, while Byrne and Rodriguez will each earn an extra $500,000 if they stay until 2016.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Need to be a CPA to cover sports these days.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

"Meanwhile most of these people giving advice have never done shit in their life"

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ha! No wonder nobody's talking hoops. Scared of Miller!

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/arizona-p ... their-life" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Damn, he sounds really pissed. Don't f'c with me vibe...cool.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

gumby wrote:Ha! No wonder nobody's talking hoops. Scared of Miller!

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/arizona-p ... their-life" target="_blank
Haha that is great
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL. Coach is a G
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Someone's pissed at family members/friends taint the "Players program" well.

nice.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/ ... mpic-games" target="_blank
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told ESPN that the 2016 Olympics will be his last coaching the United States men's basketball national team, and that a succession plan to replace him will be announced in the coming year before the Games in Rio de Janeiro next summer.

"It is. It definitely is,'' Krzyzewski told ESPN about this being his last stint as head coach with USA Basketball. "I think it's time to move ahead. During the next season there will be a number of decisions made about the future of USA Basketball with Rio [the roster] and coaching.

"There has to be a succession ... a planned succession with really good people so we can keep the continuity of the program going.''
Any chance??
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/ ... mpic-games
Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told ESPN that the 2016 Olympics will be his last coaching the United States men's basketball national team, and that a succession plan to replace him will be announced in the coming year before the Games in Rio de Janeiro next summer.

"It is. It definitely is,'' Krzyzewski told ESPN about this being his last stint as head coach with USA Basketball. "I think it's time to move ahead. During the next season there will be a number of decisions made about the future of USA Basketball with Rio [the roster] and coaching.

"There has to be a succession ... a planned succession with really good people so we can keep the continuity of the program going.''
Any chance??
http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 82#p140474" target="_blank
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think they should look at a HOF coach with availability. Pitino should be a logical choice.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:I think they should look at a HOF coach with availability. Pitino should be a logical choice.
Have to add a stripper pole like this one in the 'Ville locker room.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I think they should look at a HOF coach with availability. Pitino should be a logical choice.
Have to add a stripper pole like this one in the 'Ville locker room.

Ho's don't need poles...well, actually they kinda do at some point.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller busy in Texas

Arizona head coach Sean Miller has been making the rounds in Texas, and this morning he visited 2018 five-star Jaedon LeDee according to Andrew Slater of 247Sports.

Miller has also visited five-star prospects Trevon Duval and Billy Preston and four-star prospect Andrew Jones while in Texas.

LeDee is a skilled 6-7 small forward out of Houston (Texas) The Kinkaid School.

He is ranked No. 10 in the 247Sports Composite.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Sean-Miller-b ... =CBSSPORTS" target="_blank
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Guess that answers that question.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I love Miller but did anyone honestly expect a guy who has never been to the final four to be coach of USA basketball's biggest team?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good choice for sure! I love pops!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Can't argue against Pop. Miller time will come.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Best teacher of man-to-man defense in the country. Pissed me off how he absolutely refused to run zone in the first couple of years, but now it makes sense. Man to man defense is Miller's calling card.

RHJ and SJ were voted the two top defenders in the rookie class, and no way TJ makes the Sixers without being WAAAAAYYY better defensively than his competition. Ashley never figured it out. He may be the most talented of the 4, but his defensive intensity never arrived.

Want to make the league, or move up in the draft? Come to Arizona! Every NBA team needs great defenders and here you can learn from the best.

Go Cats!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller uses new-school approach to find right pieces
2015-16 UA basketball season preview
Bruce Pascoe, Arizona Daily Star

Instead, the 2015-16 Wildcats were built with a more contemporary approach, with coach Sean Miller pulling together a mix of high-level transfers, returning veterans and talented newcomers.

Their roster literally has it all this season: a top-five recruiting class headed by high-scoring wing Allonzo Trier, a former junior college player of the year (Kadeem Allen), an international player (Dusan Ristic), a four-year transfer who learned UA’s system last season (Ryan Anderson) and a grad transfer (Mark Tollefsen) … plus four other returners with a combined nine seasons of UA playing experience.

Every year is a new puzzle,” Miller said. “We’re not at that point yet where all of us are on the same page, and you have same roles defined. But I’m very confident in the group of kids we have.

I would say we have a very hardworking team, a very unselfish team. How that moves forward will be a huge challenge for us. But the team’s chemistry has been great.”

https://tucson.atavist.com/sean-miller- ... ht-pieces-" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller post-Chico State press conference
on Nov 8, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBP3ADUiwm8" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thanks for posting that, was curious as to his takeaway from the game. Some interesting stuff and insight on what to expect. I was wondering his position on both PJC and Allen being on the floor at the same time, so that is interesting he brought that up. You can tell he is happy with the team thus far and very optimistic about the future. Not too many teams can lose four NBA/D League level starters and come back looking like this, transfers/redshirts being able to help step in or not.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Thanks for your generous share , Hi!

Loved Coach's comment about PJC and Allen playing together. Feels like a big signal about the possibility, and stretching the interpretation a little----feels like we'll see a lot of small ball against many more potential small-B-matchups than in the past. Our backcourt army is quick, fast, aggressive and has some size and girth.

Love the thought of lots of different combo potentials; PJC, Kadeem, and Zo; Kadeem or PJC, Gabe, and Zo; throw Pitts and/or Simon into most any combo for any kind of look we want.

An interesting one: Move Ryan to the 1, Tolly to the 4 for more speed, add any of the small combos above and bake for 10 minutes. We get fluffy and delicious, our opponents burn.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EOCT wrote:Thanks for your generous share , Hi!

Loved Coach's comment about PJC and Allen playing together. Feels like a big signal about the possibility, and stretching the interpretation a little----feels like we'll see a lot of small ball against many more potential small-B-matchups than in the past. Our backcourt army is quick, fast, aggressive and has some size and girth.

Love the thought of lots of different combo potentials; PJC, Kadeem, and Zo; Kadeem or PJC, Gabe, and Zo; throw Pitts and/or Simon into most any combo for any kind of look we want.

An interesting one: Move Ryan to the 1, Tolly to the 4 for more speed, add any of the small combos above and bake for 10 minutes. We get fluffy and delicious, our opponents burn.
What?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

What?
It's either a very bold strategy or a typo for 5.

We have a lot of flexibility to go big, small or anything in between this year.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

What?
It's either a very bold strategy or a typo for 5.

We have a lot of flexibility to go big, small or anything in between this year.
Yeah, a typo. 5, 5, 5, 5, which I'm sure most would disagree
with, and probably disagree with Tolly at the 4, as well.

My purpose, of course was to experiment in my feeble mind and ask the question "What would be a hellish speed combo against certain aggregate match-ups?". Our obvious potential backcourt flexibility is a terrific given.

Sorry for the typo. I do that. I don't come into the forum a lot and I usually leave quickly and don't proofread. Selfish.
Last edited by EOCT on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:

What?
I just thought EOCT was thinking Anderson could be the next Magic.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller is usually brilliant at roster construction, mixing ample early-entry NBA draft talent with carefully selected transfers and valuable developmental players. So, while he lost three players to the NBA after last season (Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and T.J. McConnell) and another to the D-League (Brandon Ashley), it's not like he has been caught short.

"Knowing that we were going to lose a number of young players in our program to the NBA and beyond, we tried to plan as much as we could to cushion that with experience and, obviously, quality of play," Miller said.

"This year, when you watch our team, we're going to do it as a group, we're going to do it as a team. There will be players on a given night who might not start the game who are our best player on a given night, or our leading scorer or leading rebounder. There are other nights when it could be the opposite."

Yeah, this group of Cats does have more of a "team" vibe because it lacks a likely one-and-done freshman talent or a 2016 NBA lottery pick, but it does have an on-court leader. Anderson, a former third-team All-ACC pick, clearly has been the team's best player leading up to the season-opener.

"He's been very impressive, and he's been very impressive every day," Miller said.

"Quite frankly, from the mile run in late August -- the first thing we did as a team -- he's been impressive. That's when you really believe in somebody, when you see it every single day."

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3050 ... n-anderson" target="_blank
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Miller got in a nice little jab at the UCLA and most other fans just now. Said at Arizona we don't make excuses for attendance such as traffic or anything else. Also mentioned how he turns on games and sees 1,000 people there and wonders if there was a misprint on people's tickets. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller