Howland to Indiana

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Howland to Indiana

Post by Bosy Billups »

Pure spec play, but credible source saying that Crean is dead man walking and no top coaches will take on the job, but Howland would, and probably will.

Thoughts?
azcat49

Re: Howland to Indiana

Post by azcat49 »

Great hire , Indiana will win and win big. Like usual he will wear out his welcome though
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No active desirable coach would take that job at this point in the season and with all the issues IU is having now. Howland is a winner.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Would be a fantastic hire if it were to play out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don't know that they would want him.

If Howland couldn't get in good with California high schools and AAU programs, why would anyone think he could do better in Chicago/Indy/Cincy/Detroit where recruiting is even rougher and more slimy?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Chicat wrote:I don't know that they would want him.

If Howland couldn't get in good with California high schools and AAU programs, why would anyone think he could do better in Chicago/Indy/Cincy/Detroit where recruiting is even rougher and more slimy?
Would all depend on the assistants he could get. On the court it would be a fantastic hire and Howland always had a strong eye for talent.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Best fit for both parties.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Isn't Howland a PERFECT match here? I mean, this makes a lot of sense to me from an outsider point of view.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Isn't Howland a PERFECT match here? I mean, this makes a lot of sense to me from an outsider point of view.
Basketball wise, but remember, it was just a few years ago that Howland was the coach of a team at the center of an Sports Illustrated investigation and editorial, with recruits families taking benefits, players fighting with each other, prospects opting for NBA or transfer rather than staying, among other issues.

Is still make the hire from basketball standpoint, but this isn't a move you make to clean up or correct wrongs.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:Isn't Howland a PERFECT match here? I mean, this makes a lot of sense to me from an outsider point of view.
Basketball wise, but remember, it was just a few years ago that Howland was the coach of a team at the center of an Sports Illustrated investigation and editorial, with recruits families taking benefits, players fighting with each other, prospects opting for NBA or transfer rather than staying, among other issues.

Is still make the hire from basketball standpoint, but this isn't a move you make to clean up or correct wrongs.
Most of that article was centered around a very specific player.

Point is this guys, winning solves everything...you lose and all of a sudden the coach and his "lack of control" is the problem. Happens in nearly every sport.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

But there really was a lack of control. Howland had certain rules for certain players, and the better the player, the more lenient the rules.

I'd think with what's going on in Bloomington they'd shy away from that sort of coach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:But there really was a lack of control. Howland had certain rules for certain players, and the better the player, the more lenient the rules.

I'd think with what's going on in Bloomington they'd shy away from that sort of coach.
Howland had practices so brutally physical that the starting five was doing everything short of murdering the bench.

He favored big men, especially power forwards, and that was his undoing. Particularly Reeves Nelson and Nikola Dragovic.

In the spirit of the 2014 midterms, though, Indiana fans are also probably yearning for a return to the devil they knew, to hell with the consequences.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

I like it.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote: If Howland couldn't get in good with California high schools and AAU programs, why would anyone think he could do better in Chicago/Indy/Cincy/Detroit where recruiting is even rougher and more slimy?
But didn't Howland in fact get in good with the Cali prep scene? At least at first?

I know at the end he's recruiting was in shambles but Howland did for a while make a killing off local talent. Afflalo, Westbrook, etc.

Pertaining how this might carry over to Indiana, I don't know. Recruiting Chicago's elite is the most competitive in the nation.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote: If Howland couldn't get in good with California high schools and AAU programs, why would anyone think he could do better in Chicago/Indy/Cincy/Detroit where recruiting is even rougher and more slimy?
But didn't Howland in fact get in good with the Cali prep scene? At least at first?

I know at the end he's recruiting was in shambles but Howland did for a while make a killing off local talent. Afflalo, Westbrook, etc.
He did, at first. Owing a good bit to Arizona's recruiting falling off during his first few years as Pastner and Co. whiffed by taking Texas guys and recruiting nationally in general.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This has gotta be the final nail in Crean's coffin. The AD needs to just pull the trigger already.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
cats101

Post by cats101 »

He's not going to survive this.
gumby

Post by gumby »

That game was awesome. Giving up 88 to a Big Sky team should mean immediate termination.
Right where I want to be.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Brad Stevens?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

This past summer through the end of this year Tom Crean has a $16 Millon buy out if I'm not mistaken. IU isn't firing him until end of year (if then, as it only drops to $8 Million next year). I believe that IU will be pursuing Brad Stevens, and WHEN he declines the offer, they will realize who they have become under Crean and offer Richard Pitino. His dad will convince him to take the job. Just speculation by my IU fan friends, and myself.
az91

Post by az91 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:This past summer through the end of this year Tom Crean has a $16 Millon buy out if I'm not mistaken. IU isn't firing him until end of year (if then, as it only drops to $8 Million next year). I believe that IU will be pursuing Brad Stevens, and WHEN he declines the offer, they will realize who they have become under Crean and offer Richard Pitino. His dad will convince him to take the job. Just speculation by my IU fan friends, and myself.
Has Richard Pitino done that much yet to deserve the IU job? If Archie Miller has another strong year at Dayton, maybe IU will go after him?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Chicat wrote:But there really was a lack of control. Howland had certain rules for certain players, and the better the player, the more lenient the rules.

Can you elaborate whats "going on " in Bloomington?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CBCat wrote:

Can you elaborate whats "going on " in Bloomington?
When I made that post they were suspending players left and right for drugs and DUIs. Seemed like there was a vast chasm of leadership on that team and that Crean was having a tough time getting the kids to buy into the sacrifices needed to be great.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im still holding out hope that Howland finds his way to the az bench if and when an ASST spot opens.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:im still holding out hope that Howland finds his way to the az bench if and when an ASST spot opens.
What?! Is he tight with Miller or something? That would be bizarre.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

97cats wrote:im still holding out hope that Howland finds his way to the az bench if and when an ASST spot opens.
You said that just to bait BC97, didn't you? Shame! ;)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

az91 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:This past summer through the end of this year Tom Crean has a $16 Millon buy out if I'm not mistaken. IU isn't firing him until end of year (if then, as it only drops to $8 Million next year). I believe that IU will be pursuing Brad Stevens, and WHEN he declines the offer, they will realize who they have become under Crean and offer Richard Pitino. His dad will convince him to take the job. Just speculation by my IU fan friends, and myself.
Has Richard Pitino done that much yet to deserve the IU job? If Archie Miller has another strong year at Dayton, maybe IU will go after him?
I don't think he has done enough, but I believe they will be looking for a young coach, and I don't think the Archie idea is bad either, but the idea around the Indiana/Louisville area is that they will try for Shaka or Stevens, then turn to the other options like Archie or young Pitino. I personally would prefer Archie, but wouldn't be shocked if Pitino gets the job.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
az91 wrote:
I don't think he has done enough, but I believe they will be looking for a young coach, and I don't think the Archie idea is bad either, but the idea around the Indiana/Louisville area is that they will try for Shaka or Stevens, then turn to the other options like Archie or young Pitino. I personally would prefer Archie, but wouldn't be shocked if Pitino gets the job.
I feel like they're mentioned in every coaching search ever.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You have to wonder how much longer Roy is going to hang around at UNC. This academic cheating scandal is going to cost him recruiting-wise, and Roy's no spring chicken. UNC is one of the only elite jobs likely to open up pretty soon. Kansas? Doubt it, unless Self finally takes a huge NBA pay day. Kentucky? Same situation with Calipari: some NBA team could offer an absurd amount of money he'd be a fool to refuse. Duke? No idea if K is getting close to calling it quits. I'd give him at least five more seasons. Michigan State? Izzo will be there another ten years. Anyway, if Roy does step down soon, I'm sure we'll hear Shaka and Stevens as possible candidates.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In what universe won't Indiana offer it to Stevens? And in what universe won't Stevens wait for that offer and accept it?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Duke, unc, msu and Syracuse will all be open by 2018-19
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Duke, unc, msu and Syracuse will all be open by 2018-19
No way Izzo retires by '19. And 'Cuse already has their successor to Boeheim lined up.

Duke could be open.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Duke, unc, msu and Syracuse will all be open by 2018-19
Doubt it.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't. Izzo will be 64, Boeheim 74, K 72, Williams 68.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't. Izzo will be 64, Boeheim 74, K 72, Williams 68.
Awesome. Cause they want to stop coaching then, versus when they were 60, 70, 68 and 64.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Bosy Billups wrote:Pure spec play, but credible source saying that Crean is dead man walking and no top coaches will take on the job, but Howland would, and probably will.

Thoughts?

i love your avatar. Thee best on the boards! Miller, lmao.
az91

Post by az91 »

Bosy Billups wrote:Pure spec play, but credible source saying that Crean is dead man walking and no top coaches will take on the job, but Howland would, and probably will.

Thoughts?
I guess Crean is alive and well now after his team just took care of Maryland and is first in the conference along with Wisconsin?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He is certainly resurrecting himself since that loss to eastern Washington.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:

Thoughts?
I guess Crean is alive and well now after his team just took care of Maryland and is first in the conference along with Wisconsin?
Give it time...

Although I actually really like Tom Crean. He was so incredibly classy to Lute and our team in a pre-game message when we played his Marquette team a few years back. But he's facing some headwinds at IU which I don't think are too dissimilar to what RichRod faced at Michigan.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

As for Stevens... Not sure why so many are convinced his heart is set on coaching IU. Pretty sure he could have had that job tha lst time it was open if he wanted it. In fact I read that both he and Miller were offered the job before it was given to Crean.

As for Howland... I hope it never happens, but I think ASU would be a perfect situation for him, and he would make them better than they have been since Wulk. Big city, big conference, a bit out of the spotlight, he could recruit well enough to get guys who fit his system. Although I love seeing Herbie shit the bed every year, it would be good for the conference - and while they would be a bigger challenge than they are right now - They would not challenge us regularly as long as Miller is manning the ship.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Indiana is a better job than UCLA, so I'd expect that opening, should it happen, to draw significantly better interest than the Bruin job did a couple years back.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Indiana is a better job than UCLA, so I'd expect that opening, should it happen, to draw significantly better interest than the Bruin job did a couple years back.
Did Pauley Pavilion have sex with your sister?