CalStateTempe

Re: ASU blows

Post by CalStateTempe »

Good
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Have to admit I like Remy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

never noticed the arch rivals section of the forum, I like it
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

SunnyAZ wrote:never noticed the arch rivals section of the forum, I like it
It was moved over here from the Architecture thread when no one showed any interest.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

At least the Heels look bad right now.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck unc
cpt

Post by cpt »

Up to #3. Overrated - big time. Can't wait to beat the snot out of them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cpt wrote:Up to #3. Overrated - big time. Can't wait to beat the snot out of them.
I agree they are not the third best team, but other than Villanova maybe there are not any teams with a better resume to date.

F them up in Tucson on the 30th.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MilesSim0.0N

Post by MilesSim0.0N »

CalStateTempe wrote:Kansas as a brand is stronger than it's team. Good win, but Kansas losses to uw and asu are worse than our Bahamas trip.
lol

no.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ASU is undefeated against arguably the hardest schedule in the nation up to this point, with all but one of their wins being double digits/blowout fashion. They absolutely deserve their ranking, and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if they had been #2 or #1 based on resume alone. As far as the future, I don’t know, but I hope our perimeter defense improves by the 30th.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:ASU is undefeated against arguably the hardest schedule in the nation up to this point, with all but one of their wins being double digits/blowout fashion. They absolutely deserve their ranking, and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if they had been #2 or #1 based on resume alone. As far as the future, I don’t know, but I hope our perimeter defense improves by the 30th.
What?

Arizona's SOS is 38 and asu's is 53

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 1/sort/sos" target="_blank
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I don't believe ASU is way overrated. and believe their ranking is close to where it should be at this point in time. However, when you consider the law of diminishing marginal return ASU isn't going to improve that much because they were close to their ceiling when the season started. OTOH younger teams are going to improve immensely as the season progresses because they have more potential. Talented teams will catch and pass them as they gel.

By the end of the season ASU will probably make the tourney but brought back down to earth. They are probably will be closer to a 15th-20th ranked team by then.
FightWildcatsFight

RondaeShimmy wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:ASU is undefeated against arguably the hardest schedule in the nation up to this point, with all but one of their wins being double digits/blowout fashion. They absolutely deserve their ranking, and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid if they had been #2 or #1 based on resume alone. As far as the future, I don’t know, but I hope our perimeter defense improves by the 30th.
What?

Hmm, looks like it’s just about the other way around actually - ASU #38 and UA #53. I stand corrected. It is still the toughest SOS in the conference and they’re the only top 50 SOS team that hasn’t lost. Along with the #2 RPI, I still wouldn’t be mad if they were ranked #1.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

How sweet would it be for these dbags to be ranked #1 for the first time ever, and forever remember that achievement as being short lived thanks to losing to Arizona. #BestCaseScenario?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

LBdCactus wrote:How sweet would it be for these dbags to be ranked #1 for the first time ever, and forever remember that achievement as being short lived thanks to losing to Arizona. #BestCaseScenario?
It is definitely possible. But unlikely. Nova, MSU and ASU all play cupcakes before the rankings come out on Xmas day.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I guess it depends on what site you go to. Here it has UA as #30 SOS and Tempe 33

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html" target="_blank

Although theirs will drop tonight like AZ did last night in playing easy teams
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
What?

Hmm, looks like it’s just about the other way around actually - ASU #38 and UA #53. I stand corrected. It is still the toughest SOS in the conference and they’re the only top 50 SOS team that hasn’t lost. Along with the #2 RPI, I still wouldn’t be mad if they were ranked #1.
Kenpom SOS has us at 68and ASU at 80. Kenpom has us rated 14 and ASU 29. Their defense is atrocious.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Puerco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
What?

Kenpom SOS has us at 68and ASU at 80. Kenpom has us rated 14 and ASU 29. Their defense is atrocious.
And it hasnt cost them any games yet. They have won every game by double digits except one.

Their offense far more than makes up for their lack of defense. Once conference play starts that will hopefully change but there isnt much to pick apart from them right now.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Sure there is. They’re a small team whose back court is shooting lights out from three. Their defense is atrocious. Hey do not assist at a high rate. Shut down Holder’s dribble penetration and make sure you stick to Evans and Justice on the perimeter, and ASU is not going to outscore you.

Simple regression to the mean should bring Holder back to earth. He never shot higher than 37% from 3 before.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So are they a team of jimmers?
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:So are they a team of jimmers?
For now until they become a team of JR Smiths
FightWildcatsFight

Puerco wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
What?

After watching both teams all season, seeing who they’ve beaten/not beaten, do you really believe those KenPom rankings? Their defense has been good enough. I don’t trust any metric that puts ASU at a ranking over twice ours after what they’ve done so far this season against good competition. I can’t soeak for the future but going off just the blind resume, it’s clear who has been better.

ASU coming into McKale #1 is also probably the best thing that could happen for us.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I don’t see the good competition part. And by ten games into a season, Kenpom usually starts to lood pretty good. ASU is certainly being penalized in the adjusted metrics, but not by much. Look, I’m not saying they’re a bad team, but they are wildly overrated as far as potential goes. Their resume is good, and you can’t take that away
FightWildcatsFight

Puerco wrote:I don’t see the good competition part. And by ten games into a season, Kenpom usually starts to lood pretty good. ASU is certainly being penalized in the adjusted metrics, but not by much. Look, I’m not saying they’re a bad team, but they are wildly overrated as far as potential goes. Their resume is good, and you can’t take that away

Agreed about the potential. ASU has just about maxed theirs out 11 games into the season. The real challenge from here on out will be longevity when everyone knows your game plan and all it takes is one cold shooting night to lose, although they haven’t had any of those yet really.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... _/sort/sos" target="_blank

After both having a common team in SOS. UA is #34, Tempe, 87 per ESPN.

UA has the best win overall by beating #6 but Tempe has 3 top 50 wins vs 2.
https://kenpom.com/" target="_blank
UA is #15 vs Tempe at 29. Either way it will be a nice win in Tucson and to end the run of constant press Phoenix has dug up since the Cards have been eliminated.
FightWildcatsFight

Gilbertcat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... _/sort/sos

UA is #15 vs Tempe at 29. Either way it will be a nice win in Tucson and to end the run of constant press Phoenix has dug up since the Cards have been eliminated.
In your opinion, do you think a win in Phoenix vs. TAMU is a better win than in Lawrence vs. Kansas?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Well Kansas is the better rpi team today :). SOS moved up to 23 for UA. Not a bad out of conference schedule. Tempe is in the 60s and will drop further after today's game. Time to get ready
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Gilbertcat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... _/sort/sos

In your opinion, do you think a win in Phoenix vs. TAMU is a better win than in Lawrence vs. Kansas?
Yes because I think Kansas sucks. They'll get better now that they are adding mid-season additions but they sucked when ASU played them. They lost to UDub at home too.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Four-star 2019 guard Jaelen House just verbally committed to Arizona State. House, a local recruit out of nearby Phoenix (Ariz.) Shadow Mountain, is the son of former 11-year NBA veteran and ASU star Eddie House.
az91

Post by az91 »

It is pretty amazing what Hurley has been able to do in a short period of time. The high level of recruiting is especially surprising. He has positioned himself as the heir to Coach K.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

az91 wrote:It is pretty amazing what Hurley has been able to do in a short period of time. The high level of recruiting is especially surprising. He has positioned himself as the heir to Coach K.
You are jumping the gun. He has a lot of experienced upperclassmen. And he hasn’t accomplished anything yet.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Harden hits 51 in 2nd straight game, loses both

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2185 ... back-games" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Catintheheat wrote:
az91 wrote:It is pretty amazing what Hurley has been able to do in a short period of time. The high level of recruiting is especially surprising. He has positioned himself as the heir to Coach K.
You are jumping the gun. He has a lot of experienced upperclassmen. And he hasn’t accomplished anything yet.
I concur CatintheHeat......way too early for most of this Hurley lovefest.....I heard from my Wildcat Buddy living in Phoenix that last year some Scummies were calling for his head. Surprisingly they have some impressive wins this year but I don’t recall being impressed at all the previous 2 years and they even had several kids transferring out to get away from him.

I think Hurley is getting the ‘Duke / ESPN’ treatment of mostly hype with lesser substance.....we shall see. Too bad the P12 is pathetic this year or they would surely be more exposed than what we will do soon. Bear Down.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
I concur CatintheHeat......way too early for most of this Hurley lovefest.....I heard from my Wildcat Buddy living in Phoenix that last year some Scummies were calling for his head. Surprisingly they have some impressive wins this year but I don’t recall being impressed at all the previous 2 years and they even had several kids transferring out to get away from him.

I think Hurley is getting the ‘Duke / ESPN’ treatment of mostly hype with lesser substance.....we shall see. Too bad the P12 is pathetic this year or they would surely be more exposed than what we will do soon. Bear Down.
Holder & Justice are Sendek holdovers. They've played a bunch and have a lot of experience.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

another ticket gimmick for our game at McKale North
the ASU ticket office announced on Wednesday afternoon a group-ticket offer for that game. The minimum purchase is 15 tickets and prices start at $36 but it says you'll be guaranteed seats before any other tickets go on sale to the general public in January.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

TatetheGreat wrote:Harden hits 51 in 2nd straight game, loses both

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2185 ... back-games" target="_blank
Harden and D'Antoni are a match made in underachievement heaven.
Bangkok Wildcat

And Harden bitching about the refs as he clearly fouled twice at the end and lost the game by not keeping his composure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Guard this ASU:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Carlton Bragg is leaving ASU. Probably done with college.
az91

Post by az91 »

TatetheGreat wrote:Carlton Bragg is leaving ASU. Probably done with college.
He went from five-star recruit to total disappointment. I wonder if he is going to try to play overseas nexr.
Bangkok Wildcat

Is anyone else amazed that Hurley didn’t get T’d up and/or ejected in the game? Sure looked like he ‘lost it’ a couple of times and I’m speculating from trying to read his lips that he was making some pretty incendiary comments to the Refs.

While I might applaud Refs for not throwing Technicals easily, seemed the one on Ayton could have been a warning considering the amount of physicality being thrown at him right before his gentle elbow.....He’s a monster and that elbow was more of a get out of my face vs an attempt to hurt someone IMO.
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:
And that sums up the ASU program in a nutshell....ignorance.

Also, check out their Twitter....19k followers vs 500k for us. Having said that, this year they do have some badass guards....very surprising how Holder has blossomed.....and he was a Sendek recruit I believe.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“What is, chokes on a dead dog’s dick as a top team?”
“That’s correct. 30 seconds left in the round.”
“I’ll take ‘ASU is a complete joke’ for $1000”.
“This pornstar has consumed 6 gallons of semen total in her career and is easily the most famous alum of ASU......”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Puerco wrote:Sure there is. They’re a small team whose back court is shooting lights out from three. Their defense is atrocious. Hey do not assist at a high rate. Shut down Holder’s dribble penetration and make sure you stick to Evans and Justice on the perimeter, and ASU is not going to outscore you.

Simple regression to the mean should bring Holder back to earth. He never shot higher than 37% from 3 before.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

They should've lost to Oregon State at home too

Unfortunately the Beavs collapsed
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

well i guess a court storming was too much to hope for
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASU is 5 points (a desperate home comeback in the last 2 minutes against Oregon State and a missed 3 pointer by Utah in the final 10 seconds) away from being 0-6 in the conference.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Remember when ASSU had a pretty nice non-conference season, gave themselves a cute but totally unearned nickname, talked ungodly amounts of shit, and then proceeded to poop all over themselves once the conference season started?

Good times...