UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote:Always seemed like a trouble soul, tho the drugs probably didn't help
Back when I first started reading this board Tyler Honeycutt was playing for the Bruins and I remember in the long UCLA threads how even the UCLA fans who would post had their fingers crossed for him. At practice and in games the guy came across with such a full head of steam toward everyone, even teammates.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Former UCLA wing, Billy knight, committed suicide. He was around during the Earl Watson, Dan Gadzuric years under Lavin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:Former UCLA wing, Billy knight, committed suicide. He was around during the Earl Watson, Dan Gadzuric years under Lavin
His goodbye video. Don't think I can watch it due to my son's issues with depression and his suicide attempt.

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Merkin wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Former UCLA wing, Billy knight, committed suicide. He was around during the Earl Watson, Dan Gadzuric years under Lavin
His goodbye video. Don't think I can watch it due to my son's issues with depression and his suicide attempt.

Can't watch it, but let me say this as a social commentary, first, I pray to God that my children feel they can come to me if they are having these types of issues. Next, this is the part of the social media shock culture that kills me. Not just this but, I do fire and ems and people put crazy videos of people dying and being mangled and we eat it up and it's click bait and used to make money. It is horrible being around someone who is dying. I just feel like so much of social media is so dehumanizing. It makes me sad, we need connections, not clicks. Sorry, rambly. Might not make sense and probly doesn't relate to the video posted.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Can't watch it, but let me say this as a social commentary, first, I pray to God that my children feel they can come to me if they are having these types of issues. Next, this is the part of the social media shock culture that kills me. Not just this but, I do fire and ems and people put crazy videos of people dying and being mangled and we eat it up and it's click bait and used to make money. It is horrible being around someone who is dying. I just feel like so much of social media is so dehumanizing. It makes me sad, we need connections, not clicks. Sorry, rambly. Might not make sense and probly doesn't relate to the video posted.
It might. YouTube removed the video.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Unfortunately it looks like sadness will only go on for so long for his death as he was arrested for sexual assault of a 9 year old. While most abusers were likely abused, it still doesn't excuse one from behavior.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Shareef got his eligibility in order

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... man-class/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s a miracle.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wonder how "donation" dad gave to the school?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote:Wonder how "donation" dad gave to the school?
Pretty sure summer school grades finally posted. I doubt ucla admission care about money
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Wonder how "donation" dad gave to the school?
Pretty sure summer school grades finally posted. I doubt ucla admission care about money
Oh my sweet summer child
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote: I doubt ucla admission care about money
I work for the fund raisers up at Cal Poly as an ITS programmer.

Due to cuts to higher ed from the state, the student has to cover 60% of the cost instead of the 40% they used to spend.

And that doesn't include all these fees schools pass on and buildings and such the students pay for like a rec center.

I used to work in Admissions for ITS, and 30% of the students who are admitted don't go through the normal admissions process. They are admitted under the FOTP program, meaning their parents (or supporters) are friends of the president.

Presidents are now fund raisers, that's their main role due all the budget cuts over the year.

Big donors can open doors normal people can't.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote:
MrBug708 wrote: I doubt ucla admission care about money
I work for the fund raisers up at Cal Poly as an ITS programmer.

Due to cuts to higher ed from the state, the student has to cover 60% of the cost instead of the 40% they used to spend.

And that doesn't include all these fees schools pass on and buildings and such the students pay for like a rec center.

I used to work in Admissions for ITS, and 30% of the students who are admitted don't go through the normal admissions process. They are admitted under the FOTP program, meaning their parents (or supporters) are friends of the president.

Presidents are now fund raisers, that's their main role due all the budget cuts over the year.

Big donors can open doors normal people can't.
Athletic admissions wouldn't be a problem for UCLA then. And no offense to Cal Poly, it ain't UCLA. You aren't talking about a 4.0 student not getting into UCLA (or Cal Poly), but a kid who wasn't qualified. UCLA isn't going to take a partial qualifier unless he got his grades in order. And they certainly wouldn't take their first partial qualifer in the form of Shareef O'Neal, either.

As I said, he probably got summer school grades in to boost his GPA up. You can certainly question the work done in those classes, like Shaq's doctoral degree.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Regardless, Shareef O'Neal is an infinitely better fit under Steve Alford than he is under Sean Miller. Before the FBI garbage happened, I always thought Arizona was destined to land Simi Shittu, which would've sent Reef elsewhere regardless. It will be interesting to see what happens to Reef at UCLA IF Alford is shitcanned soon though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Seems like Alford is in the same spot Lavin was in the late 90s/early 00s. Loaded roster coming off yet another disappointing season. This may be the best roster Alford has had, and it's clearly his best chance to win the Pac, with AZ hurt by the (largely fabricated) scandal. Still, though, what is Alford's identity as a coach? I'd say that's his most prominent attribute as a coach: that he has no prominent attributes. Is he an offense guy? Okay, well, a team with Ball and Leaf couldn't win the Pac, so I'm not sure his offense is all that effective. And he's definitely not a defense guy. I think he's a roll the ball out there and see what happens kind of guy. He's a nice guy, and his players seem alright with him. But I've rarely seen this guy make a critical in-game decision that led to a victory. UCLA is holding steady at their second/third tier status, but that happens by default. Alford hasn't really taken them upward or downward. Just treading water, waiting to get replaced by someone better.
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

Will sit out the 2018 season, but stay enrolled at school.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/ ... a-doctors/" target="_blank
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

GTownCat wrote:Will sit out the 2018 season, but stay enrolled at school.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.tmz.com/ ... a-doctors/" target="_blank

Shareef says the team doctors saved his life.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... 28?src=rss" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Tyger Campbell is out for the year
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UCLA is SUUUUUPPPPER fucked.

They had PG concerns before losing Campbell, as the income four star freshman was the only other ball handler on the team besides Jaylen Hands. Hands of course came in with high expectations, but he looked very much like a freshman last season - playing too fast, turning the ball over, taking ill advised shots, and losing interest on both ends of the court at times. Alford often barked "WHY?" at him after plays.

Now with Campbell down, Hands needs to step up and play 35min/g at a high level (hard to see happening)... or they need to figure out a second pointguard with a quickness.

Potential candidates... Prince Ali (not-so-fabulous he), David Singleton III (incoming four star SG, big time scorer, really want him off ball), Chris Wilkes (potential Conf POY, all around stat stuffer).

UCLA may legit run the season with a walk-on at back-up PG.

Hands likely won't stand up under that much pressure (being forced into both a leadership position and a likely unwinnable battle to hold down the PG duties). He and the other guards will battle fatigue and foul trouble, softening up their perimeter defense.

The young bigs will now have to step up ever more on defense - never Alford's calling card. And remember: they are young. Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were on the team last season but didn't play due to their role in the China incident. Moses Brown and Kenny Nwuba are both incoming freshman... and project centers.

UCLA is super fucked.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Did ESPN have this and the Oregon (reported on the Oregonian) records but chose to not report on them?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

And the expected “nothing to see here . . . Move along” response from sanctimonious prick faithful on Bruinzone.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Its either nothing or we fire Alford. But its really nothing. If they cant find anything serious during the Bazz recruitment and with the Celtics, I doubt they will here

Moses Brown looks good.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

See the difference between you and most of the self-righteously naive jerkoff Bruin fans is (and forgive me for putting words in your mouth) that you know UCLA has in the past and presumably continues to do what is necessary to successfully recruit 5 star players . . . but simply haven’t been outed for it. Yet. Of course as we all now know, only idiots do it directly and without plausible deniability. Unless you are UCLA or Duke fans . . . in which case your esteemed institutions are so academically attractive to players planning on pitstopping one to two years on the way to the NBA (or G League or Lithuania) that these universities are above the need to engage in such shocking practices to secure top tier recruits. :roll: ;)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Moses Brown is fun to watch.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

We have athletes, just a lack of coaching. Oh well
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:We have athletes, just a lack of coaching. Oh well
Rinse & Repeat - The Alford Years
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The only thing missing is some bizarre incident that eliminates a player or two from the roster and serendipitously provides Alford with (an inevitably necessary) built in excuse for failure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When you become the butt of Goodman's jokes!

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:When you become the butt of Goodman's jokes!

If they don't win the Pac and/or get pretty deep in the tourney, think Alford's gonna be unemployed next summer.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Comical ending
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

MrBug708 wrote:Comical ending
The PAC 12 is so bad this year it would be like browbeating a puppy to make fun of anybody. Even UCLA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
The PAC 12 is so bad this year it would be like browbeating a puppy to make fun of anybody. Even UCLA.
Yup. Looking more and more like a 2 bid league.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Yup. Looking more and more like a 2 bid league.
Asu & tourney champ.

I just threw up a little.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Can’t remember the last time UCLA and Arizona had to get together for a mutual pity party.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Can’t remember the last time UCLA and Arizona had to get together for a mutual pity party.
When was the last year both AZ and UCLA missed the tourney?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:shock:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Can’t remember the last time UCLA and Arizona had to get together for a mutual pity party.

Before that I think you'd have to go back to 1984.

*not counting vacated years
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s telling that the Pac doesn’t really have a must-see rivalry game each year that draws a national audience. AZ/UCLA has been this game in the past. It’s been AZ/Stanford here and there, maybe AZ/Oregon. But with all these sputtering programs at the moment (UCLA and Cal in particular), it sort of undermines how these rivalries endure.

Don’t get me wrong: UCLA and Oregon remain big games, but does anyone really care outside of Tucson, Eugene or Westwood? Compare this to Duke/UNC, Michigan/Ohio State, or UK/Tennessee. Heck, even Gonzaga/St. Mary’s has been a big game nationally in recent years.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:It’s telling that the Pac doesn’t really have a must-see rivalry game each year that draws a national audience. AZ/UCLA has been this game in the past. It’s been AZ/Stanford here and there, maybe AZ/Oregon. But with all these sputtering programs at the moment (UCLA and Cal in particular), it sort of undermines how these rivalries endure.

Don’t get me wrong: UCLA and Oregon remain big games, but does anyone really care outside of Tucson, Eugene or Westwood? Compare this to Duke/UNC, Michigan/Ohio State, or UK/Tennessee. Heck, even Gonzaga/St. Mary’s has been a big game nationally in recent years.
It would help to have a conference commissioner who understands the history of the Pac 12 and its rivalries and who goes out of his way to ensure that those programs meet EVERY YEAR, TWICE A YEAR instead of the current system. You don't see UNC & Duke facing each other just once so there's more balance in the conference.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It’s telling that the Pac doesn’t really have a must-see rivalry game each year that draws a national audience. AZ/UCLA has been this game in the past. It’s been AZ/Stanford here and there, maybe AZ/Oregon. But with all these sputtering programs at the moment (UCLA and Cal in particular), it sort of undermines how these rivalries endure.

It would help to have a conference commissioner who understands the history of the Pac 12 and its rivalries and who goes out of his way to ensure that those programs meet EVERY YEAR, TWICE A YEAR instead of the current system. You don't see UNC & Duke facing each other just once so there's more balance in the conference.
Totally. I've never understood why this scheduling change was made without concern for protecting rivalries. I can't believe there are now years where we play UCLA or Oregon only once. Makes no sense.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

We have a prophet in the house. What are this week's powerball numbers, I will play them.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:We have a prophet in the house. What are this week's powerball numbers, I will play them.

You misspelled troll.
-JB
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

UAEebs86 wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:We have a prophet in the house. What are this week's powerball numbers, I will play them.

You misspelled troll.
Well, ESPN recently had an article which pretty much said the same thing.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

You misspelled troll.
Well, ESPN recently had an article which pretty much said the same thing.
Well, we all know that ESPN reporting should be taken with a grain of salt the size of your gaping b-hole.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Does Alford survive the season? I know they have some more incompetent AD induced payout deadline issues, but the seat is going to get very hot if the former players continue to agitate.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Does Alford survive the season? I know they have some more incompetent AD induced payout deadline issues, but the seat is going to get very hot if the former players continue to agitate.
I doubt he survived the season. The buyout shouldn't be a problem since its 3.6 until April 30th, where it drops down to 1 million. The worry is the AD listens to the players and hires Earl Watson