Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Jefe »

Roys only making $2.1mil-ish? Hows that possible?

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salarie ... all/coach/" target="_blank

Another mil for his March Madness performance but I thought he would be well over $4mil

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... for-title/" target="_blank
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Man, the troll is strong in a couple of you. Is it boredom that brings that out? Honest question.

"No chance Miller goes to OSU because there's no chance they would want him" ?!

FOH with that absolute nonsense.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If this were UNC with the sudden opening, we'd all be nervous as hell. OSU, for all its successes, is still not on the same level as the best jobs in the sport. I'm actually very surprised they let Matta go. Recruiting had cooled off, but that's something Matta could've brought back. Sorta wonder if they'd be best off doing an interim one year hire and then throwing their full strengths into courting Donovan or Marshall next spring. They're not going to get a big name this year.
Matta had been on a downswing basically since they beat us at the buzzer in the Sweet 16. D'Lo kept them competitive his one year there, but after he left, the lack of talent really got exposed.

The decision doesn't shock me, but the timing is really weird. We'll see who they pull.
Yeah, his issue has been consistency with recruiting. Read an article (from Ohio writer?) outlining all of this a while back, gave the beginning to "now" timeline and was very detailed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Real tired of an eastern/midwestern media pushing this when there's absolutely no story here whatsoever. ESPN wouldn't get off the "Should Miller leave that crappy shitty destitute desert for wonderful Columbus?" all day. This is the biggest nothing burger I've ever seen, even more so than NC State and Pittsburgh.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lofty wrote:I find it insulting that Miller is even mentioned or discussed relating to Ohio St. He ain't going there. Our brand new President escalated it with his idiotic comments.
I mean it wasn't an idiotic comment, it was just a comment made in jest, and the media with an agenda running with it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:If this were UNC with the sudden opening, we'd all be nervous as hell. OSU, for all its successes, is still not on the same level as the best jobs in the sport. I'm actually very surprised they let Matta go. Recruiting had cooled off, but that's something Matta could've brought back. Sorta wonder if they'd be best off doing an interim one year hire and then throwing their full strengths into courting Donovan or Marshall next spring. They're not going to get a big name this year.
Matta had been on a downswing basically since they beat us at the buzzer in the Sweet 16. D'Lo kept them competitive his one year there, but after he left, the lack of talent really got exposed.

The decision doesn't shock me, but the timing is really weird. We'll see who they pull.
Yeah, his issue has been consistency with recruiting. Read an article (from Ohio writer?) outlining all of this a while back, gave the beginning to "now" timeline and was very detailed.
Matta's class of Oden/Conley/Cook was (IMO) the best 3 man freshman group since Webber/Howard/Rose with the Fab Five.

These last few years were almost inexplicable compared to what he was.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He had top 5-10 classes in 2014 and 2015, but the 2016 and 2017 OSU classes weren't even ranked in the too 50.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kinda seems like OSU just wanted a fresh start. It's hard to fault Matta. He got to two FFs and won six Big 10 titles. That's a much better run than 95% of other coaches. Sometimes things get stale. ADs get impatient, as do alums. Matta's always struck me as a classy guy and a good coach. If he wants another job, he'll get it.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Growing up in North Carolina and having some UNC donors I can tell you that if we wanted to avoid Miller to UNC then Roy should have retired after he won the Natty this year. Miller dropped a few pegs in the thoughts of those folks after the Xavier loss. Now if he goes to the FF next season and/or wins a Natty with Arizona then he is right back at the top of their list.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote:Growing up in North Carolina and having some UNC donors I can tell you that if we wanted to avoid Miller to UNC then Roy should have retired after he won the Natty this year. Miller dropped a few pegs in the thoughts of those folks after the Xavier loss. Now if he goes to the FF next season and/or wins a Natty with Arizona then he is right back at the top of their list.
If that changed anything for them, they are dumb. If they cooled on Miller due to Xavier, they've beem taking too many athlete classes at UNC.
Slappy

Post by Slappy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Growing up in North Carolina and having some UNC donors I can tell you that if we wanted to avoid Miller to UNC then Roy should have retired after he won the Natty this year. Miller dropped a few pegs in the thoughts of those folks after the Xavier loss. Now if he goes to the FF next season and/or wins a Natty with Arizona then he is right back at the top of their list.
If that changed anything for them, they are dumb. If they cooled on Miller due to Xavier, they've beem taking too many athlete classes at UNC.
Not dumb at all.......

X sucked, game was lost on Miller. Some blindly blamed PJC, but the loss and "feeling lost" was rightfully owned by Miller. Exposed a coaching flaw, that would get exposed at any program.....

Bringing in Romar/mentor/opposite personality, owning the failures instead of finding blame elsewhere, will finally break his/our Final 4 drought.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Slappy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Not dumb at all.......

X sucked, game was lost on Miller. Some blindly blamed PJC, but the loss and "feeling lost" was rightfully owned by Miller. Exposed a coaching flaw, that would get exposed at any program.....

Bringing in Romar/mentor/opposite personality, owning the failures instead of finding blame elsewhere, will finally break his/our Final 4 drought.
I disagree about the quality of Miller's coaching. I also don't know many who blamed PJC, most seemed to have an issue with Trier. For the sake of this argument, though, let's say you're right. Miller coached a bad game.

Making the decision on a HC based on a single bad game is stupid. I was watching old NCAA games the other night and stumbled on the UNLV/Duke national championship from 1990. Mike Kryzyzewski got brutally outcoached. He couldn't control tempo, was lost vs the amoeba zone, inexplicably subbed Hurley out and got ripped apart by ball pressure. No adjustments all night and gave his team no confidence.

Kryzyzewski is the most highly regarded modern coach for a reason, and he pushed out a brutal turd on the big stage. If UNC truly weights one game in their eval, they deserve the penalty for that stupidity.

Players have bad games, coaches do to. Michael Jordan shot 3-18 against the Knicks in the 1993 playoffs. LeBron James had a bad Finals against the Mavs in 2011. Defining your interest in a player/coach by one game is the worst knee jerk fan reaction. That's how you wind up hiring Tom Crean because of one FF run with Dwyane Wade.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

tOSU offered job to McDermott

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 102621238/" target="_blank

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4266&start=250" target="_blank
Last edited by UAtrue on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear Down Vegas

Not even a lateral coaching move. Much less an upgrade.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Maybe Matta's relationship with the AD/alums soured?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

UAtrue wrote:tOSU offered job to McDermott

Mess of a coaching search just like ours when Miller was hired.

Thanks Calipari!
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
UAtrue wrote:tOSU offered job to McDermott

Mess of a coaching search just like ours
Reggie Theus, come on down!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

So Thad is going to come and be our "basketball operations assistant" or some fake position to allow him to coach, right?

I mean, after Romar coming to join our staff, I am willing to believe virtually anything. Can someone make that rumor happen? The reverse of "Miller is interested in OSU because of his relationship with Thad Matta" nonsense.

"Matta is interested in assisting at Arizona because of his relationship with Sean Miller."

"Matta's health problems include issues that could be helped by the dry, warm climate of Arizona."

"Matta has a summer home in Oro Valley." or "A real estate friend of mine is working with Mrs. Matta. They are looking in Sam Hughes so Thad can ride a medi-cart to McKale".

"A private plane with tail number AN63LS is owned by Arte Moreno, and it was tracked to Columbus and back to Tucson. The lights are off at Thad's home."
Last edited by EVCat on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Matta wanted to come here, I could be on board with that, but lightning already struck once this offseason.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

OSU is not a "destination" job. It's not a job that established, successful coaches would leap at the chance to fill. The best OSU can hope for is an Alford-type, a guy who's had decent but not remarkable success at a lesser program, who's hoping to move up in the food chain.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EVCat wrote:So Thad is going to come and be our "basketball operations assistant" or some fake position to allow him to coach, right?

I mean, after Romar coming to join our staff, I am willing to believe virtually anything. Can someone make that rumor happen? The reverse of "Miller is interested in OSU because of his relationship with Thad Matta" nonsense.

"Matta is interested in assisting at Arizona because of his relationship with Sean Miller."

"Matta's health problems include issues that could be helped by the dry, warm climate of Arizona."

"Matta has a summer home in Oro Valley." or "A real estate friend of mine is working with Mrs. Matta. They are looking in Sam Hughes so Thad can ride a medi-cart to McKale".

"A private plane with tail number AN63LS is owned by Arte Moreno, and it was tracked to Columbus and back to Tucson. The lights are off at Thad's home."

:lol: the top post of June :lol:

well done
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

EVCat wrote:So Thad is going to come and be our "basketball operations assistant" or some fake position to allow him to coach, right?

"Matta has a SUMMER home in Oro Valley"? Uh huh.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Has Sean Miller made any comment about this job? Would be great for everyone involved if he made a comment like McDermott.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:Has Sean Miller made any comment about this job? Would be great for everyone involved if he made a comment like McDermott.
for what reason? and what the hell does "for everyone involved" mean?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Pretty sure they already called him
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

For fans of Arizona and Ohio State to know Miller isn't going anywhere.

Isn't necessary, but it would be a sigh of relief just to know for certain Miller isn't going anywhere right now and to put to bed any speculation and twitter rumors. Miller isn't on twitter and we are all fairly certain he isn't going to Ohio State but look how many rumors there are and all the local and national people who have said Miller and Ohio State in the same article/tweet/etc.

If Miller and the AD don't feel that this is serious enough to say he is staying, then it is all good.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Has Sean Miller made any comment about this job? Would be great for everyone involved if he made a comment like McDermott.
"For everyone involved" refers to our key Phoenix alumni base.
Bear Down Vegas

This is exactly what I'm talking about Machina. Why? Why troll like this? Are you bored? Do you actually believe Coach should make a tweet like that? It's easily arguable that not making any such tweet is a stronger statement. Why bother with something that is a zero story?

You and Rise & Fire give me a headache.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Not dumb at all.......

I disagree about the quality of Miller's coaching. I also don't know many who blamed PJC, most seemed to have an issue with Trier. For the sake of this argument, though, let's say you're right. Miller coached a bad game.

Making the decision on a HC based on a single bad game is stupid. I was watching old NCAA games the other night and stumbled on the UNLV/Duke national championship from 1990. Mike Kryzyzewski got brutally outcoached. He couldn't control tempo, was lost vs the amoeba zone, inexplicably subbed Hurley out and got ripped apart by ball pressure. No adjustments all night and gave his team no confidence.

Kryzyzewski is the most highly regarded modern coach for a reason, and he pushed out a brutal turd on the big stage. If UNC truly weights one game in their eval, they deserve the penalty for that stupidity.

Players have bad games, coaches do to. Michael Jordan shot 3-18 against the Knicks in the 1993 playoffs. LeBron James had a bad Finals against the Mavs in 2011. Defining your interest in a player/coach by one game is the worst knee jerk fan reaction. That's how you wind up hiring Tom Crean because of one FF run with Dwyane Wade.
Exactly. The whole world watched Doc Rivers coach circles around Phil Jackson in the 2008 NBA Finals. While I do not think Jackson is this god coach like many others, he still was at minimum an excellent coach who sat on the sidelines looking like a lost rookie for most of that series. The guy I do consider the best pound-for-pound coach, Greg Popovich, made several HUGE mistakes in the closing minutes of game 6 in the 2013 finals and it cost them a title. Bill Belichick going for it on 4th down on his own 20 or 30 against Manning in the playoffs.... I could go on. Hell, great coaches can have bad years and crap coaches win titles. That's sports.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The new president felt the need to say something. There are tons if rumors still although they have died down since earlier this week.

He doesn't need to and I don't feel like e does need to. I dont know what is going on and I said that I truat his judgment in it.

But what harm does it do just to asked DH to say since Miller of off twitter that I have heard rumors but I am 100 percent committed to Arizona and winning the PAC 12 and NCAA Tournament in 2018?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

machina...smh
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

97cats wrote:
This is not a rumor worthy of addressing. But it is also not his job to kill this rumor. No one is saying he has been offered, or interested. It is all speculation, and momentum is gathering by "what if" reports leading to other "what if" reports. There is nothing real here to address. It would be weird, and kind of arrogant, for him to address a job that he hasn't been offered and he isn't pursuing. The only thing that has his name associated at all is wild media speculation.

You don't address baseless rumors. No one has said anything concrete, like offer or interest. If THAT happens, then he might want to make a statement that he has not been offered or is not pursuing. But right now, there is nothing real to address.

And from a business point of view, it is not his job to squash the rumors. If we want to throw more money at him because of this, he will take it.

And from a personal point of view, if I were him, I would let some of our fans squirm for a while after some of the asinine reactions by our fanbase. Sean has proven to be one with a memory for that kind of bullshit. The ones that shouted him down at the MGM a few years ago...the ones who crushed him on social media after the Xavier loss, the small but loud band of fans who question whether he can "win the big one"....let them squirm for a second. Let them consider him not being here.

Who knows if he feels that way. I would. We are so lucky to have him, and some of our base can't figure that out. But, ultimately, there is nothing for him to deny right now. There is no report of anything happening. No offers. No interest. So what does he address...baseless media spitballing? That doesn't deserve a response...
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PHXCATS wrote:The new president felt the need to say something. There are tons if rumors still although they have died down since earlier this week.

He doesn't need to and I don't feel like e does need to. I dont know what is going on and I said that I truat his judgment in it.

But what harm does it do just to asked DH to say since Miller of off twitter that I have heard rumors but I am 100 percent committed to Arizona and winning the PAC 12 and NCAA Tournament in 2018?
The Dispatch learned that Arizona’s Sean Miller and Xavier’s Chris Mack had rejected overtures from OSU.
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170608 ... ffered-job" target="_blank

The fact that they even offered McDermott should have been a clear indicator Miller said no
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The fact that Miller officially turned it down makes this moot. Didn't see this until now. 2017 2018 should be a fun season.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:
"For everyone involved" refers to our key Phoenix alumni base.
Specifically the Arcadia Tavern crew
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
Who knows if he feels that way. I would. We are so lucky to have him, and some of our base can't figure that out.
The ignorant fanbase that gets all their information and confirmation bias from Tucson radio.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The new president felt the need to say something. There are tons if rumors still although they have died down since earlier this week.

The Dispatch learned that Arizona’s Sean Miller and Xavier’s Chris Mack had rejected overtures from OSU.
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170608 ... ffered-job" target="_blank

The fact that they even offered McDermott should have been a clear indicator Miller said no
Is PHXCATS certain that OSU didn't just have McDermott higher on their list?

I am concerned that Miller never publicly stated he had no interest in succeeding Bob Stoops at OU.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:Real tired of an eastern/midwestern media pushing this when there's absolutely no story here whatsoever. ESPN wouldn't get off the "Should Miller leave that crappy shitty destitute desert for wonderful Columbus?" all day. This is the biggest nothing burger I've ever seen, even more so than NC State and Pittsburgh.
At least with Maryland, there was a burger.
Right where I want to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miller says it all by not saying anything. Simple and easy, never interested, end of story. Dude is all class and upfront about all things. In some cases you just don't have to say anything, like in this case
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Miller isn't going to make a statement saying he passed up an opening at McDonald's, the same as he isn't going to do so for OSU.
Bear Down Vegas

PHXCATS wrote:The fact that Miller officially turned it down makes this moot. Didn't see this until now. 2017 2018 should be a fun season.
But IT DOESN'T MATTER that he "officially" turned it down. & you consistently tag the end of your concessions with something optimistic, exactly like, "2017 2018 should be a fun season."

It's crystal clear to all of us at this point what you intend with your posts & how you carry them out/finish them. I am genuinely interested as to the why.

(Bold used for emphasis on a question that keeps getting ignored in regards to your posts about Coach Sean Miller in the Sean Miller thread.)
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

So when is Miller gonna deny interest in the Butler job? I haven't seen or heard anything about him not wanting that gig.
gumby

Post by gumby »

zonagrad wrote:So when is Miller gonna deny interest in the Butler job? I haven't seen or heard anything about him not wanting that gig.
He owes us that. Plus, some better chemistry, which isn't his fault! But good thing we got Romar for that.

Whee!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If he just played some zone defense, all of this would go away :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Real tired of an eastern/midwestern media pushing this when there's absolutely no story here whatsoever. ESPN wouldn't get off the "Should Miller leave that crappy shitty destitute desert for wonderful Columbus?" all day. This is the biggest nothing burger I've ever seen, even more so than NC State and Pittsburgh.
A+ post
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:
A+ post
Thanks. Institutional knowledge. Can't replace it! :mrgreen:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Well now we are screwed:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Couldn't come up with 10. Bad sign.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

8 reasons why your suspenders should be worn over rather than under your shirt
gumby

Post by gumby »

I like No. 7. Private man who doesn't like fishbowl experience. I'm taking that as code for "Chapel Hill."