rgdeuce

Re: Sean Miller

Post by rgdeuce »

Some of the stuff in here is wild.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:Lute at least made 2 final fours by that time
Not at Arizona. After the '93 exit to Santa Clara, Arizona had been bounced in the 2nd round ('90), the Sweet 16 ('91) and then two straight first round disasters. How well do you think the fanbase would've reacted had the internet been up and running and this board been active?

I don't think Miller is infallible, just like Lute wasn't. But the job he's done at Arizona has been incredible. Since his arrival, Arizona has been the premiere program not just in the Pac 12, but also in the entire West. That's not debatable. At the outset, Colorado looked like a formidable up and comer. They were vanquished. Next came San Diego State. Done. UCLA? Done as well. Over the duration of Miller's time at Arizona no program has done better against us head to head out west. Not Gonzaga. Not Oregon. Nobody. Oh sure, the other programs have had their moments. But over time none has compiled the record that matches Arizona in head to head or overall consistency.

This is a major bump in the road, especially in light of the Book Richardson fiasco. Who knows where it will lead or if this is the beginning of the end. But Miller damn well deserves full support to pull us out of this nose dive. In time, I have faith he will.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

So because the team is really bad, people want to fire Miller? Yet we are content to accept mediocrity and sub-par recruiting with Rich Rod?

This has been an interesting holiday break for sure. If we lose tomorrow in football, I wonder what the RR apologists will cook up next?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

scumdevils86 wrote:Machina shut the fuck up with your trolling
Yes. Well put.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

WildcatStunner wrote:So because the team is really bad, people want to fire Miller? Yet we are content to accept mediocrity and sub-par recruiting with Rich Rod?

This has been an interesting holiday break for sure. If we lose tomorrow in football, I wonder what the RR apologists will cook up next?
Please make one person who seriously wants to fire Miller
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

zonagrad wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Remember what Miller inherited and the leap he took basically sight unseen?

We were DONE as a program. DONE!

Lol you cowards here throwing daggers after 2 losses. Ef u.
Yeah a sweet 16.

Daggers are pointing it the obvious that adjustments need to be made?
he is a consistent winner and not a loser who makes excuses for his own failures & inadequacies?
if you read postgame comments in losses or bad games his go-to is to blame who? the players of course, bad execution is always the reason it seems

and "winning" at recruiting is not the same as winning on the court. this is a coach who hasn't beaten a 3-seed or better since 2011

it's no secret i've been over Miller since he choked away the second Wisky EE game. His mid major mentality does not work with the elite athletes he somehow recruits
You would've been one of the great "fire Lute" leaders back in the early 90's. No doubt in my mind you would've been one of the ignorant fans calling for Lute's head after another early exit in '93 despite a stellar regular season. Your arguments are so full of non sequiturs there are too many to count.
wrong. the early exits sucked but Lutes teams were always up tempo, fun to watch, high scoring, let the players creativity and athleticism shine, in another word: fun

Lute also way more likable
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Lute at least made 2 final fours by that time
Not at Arizona. After the '93 exit to Santa Clara, Arizona had been bounced in the 2nd round ('90), the Sweet 16 ('91) and then two straight first round disasters. How well do you think the fanbase would've reacted had the internet been up and running and this board been active?

I don't think Miller is infallible, just like Lute wasn't. But the job he's done at Arizona has been incredible. Since his arrival, Arizona has been the premiere program not just in the Pac 12, but also in the entire West. That's not debatable. At the outset, Colorado looked like a formidable up and comer. They were vanquished. Next came San Diego State. Done. UCLA? Done as well. Over the duration of Miller's time at Arizona no program has done better against us head to head out west. Not Gonzaga. Not Oregon. Nobody. Oh sure, the other programs have had their moments. But over time none has compiled the record that matches Arizona in head to head or overall consistency.

This is a major bump in the road, especially in light of the Book Richardson fiasco. Who knows where it will lead or if this is the beginning of the end. But Miller damn well deserves full support to pull us out of this nose dive. In time, I have faith he will.
Questioning doesn't mean you don't support. I support Miller fully but I am concerned and want to see adjustments asap

And Yes I fully know Lute has one at Iowa and one at Arizona by that time
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

You would've been one of the great "fire Lute" leaders back in the early 90's. No doubt in my mind you would've been one of the ignorant fans calling for Lute's head after another early exit in '93 despite a stellar regular season. Your arguments are so full of non sequiturs there are too many to count.[/quote]

wrong. the early exits sucked but Lutes teams were always up tempo, fun to watch, high scoring, let the players creativity and athleticism shine, in another word: fun

Lute also way more likable[/quote]

Wrong. Again. Lute abandoned the heavy, slow post play and released the hounds in '94 with Reeves and Stoudamire. Why do you think there was such a dramatic turnaround in style of play with our backcourt from '93 to '94? Prior to '94, the players were absolutely NOT creative and their athleticism did NOT shine. Hence the two early exits.

You try to be provocative with your inane posts. But most of the people on this board understand basketball and have followed the 'Cats for an awfully long time. And we're sick of reading your bullshit posts.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

PHXCATS wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:So because the team is really bad, people want to fire Miller? Yet we are content to accept mediocrity and sub-par recruiting with Rich Rod?

Please make one person who seriously wants to fire Miller
I'm alone in wanting him gone, barring a miraculous FF run. I'm really bored with the "what about RR" people. You guys are doing the same thing by deflecting blame from SM.

For the record, no one is an apologist for RR. We all voice frustration with him and everyone acknowledged he was on the hot seat going into this season. Some still want him gone, others are willing to give him another year with Tate.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

SEEM has some serious work to do
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

he looks heavier, like physically heavier

stress eating?
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby wrote:Just a mess. Woefully unprepared. Woefully lacking in toughness and fundamentals.
And then it got worse. Apparently, Book did all the coaching, too. I blame the new assistant. Or the guy who replaced the new assistant. Or the lighting, or the low ceiling, or the start times, or the finish times or the failing New York Times.
Right where I want to be.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Miller is known as a good coach around the country. Time to prove that. I have been critical of his lack of adjustments but it is 100 percent clear now that he must adjust.

Season is not even close to over. These losses just made things more clear and a little harder to get back up to the top and hurt seeding. Nothing is over until we decide it is.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

PHXCATS wrote:...Nothing is over until we decide it is.
You are so weird.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:...Nothing is over until we decide it is.
You are so weird.
Animal House anyone?

Point is that season is far from over as long as adjustments are made. Can the team buy in and can Miller adjust as needed? I think so so I am not losing hope
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy wrote:he looks heavier, like physically heavier

stress eating?

He looked great last year doing his paleo diet or whatever it was, but seems to have gone off of it.

Hard to do in that lifestyle he has with all the traveling.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Merkin wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:he looks heavier, like physically heavier

stress eating?

He looked great last year doing his paleo diet or whatever it was, but seems to have gone off of it.

Hard to do in that lifestyle he has with all the traveling.
Being a college coach at a high level program is probably one of the least healthiest jobs one can have.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I got the animal house reference.

I still believe SM was on some medical weight loss meds. I attribute the profuse sweating to that.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Arizona has never lost 3 in a row before December. So Miller's got that bit of groundbreaking history attached to his name now.

Definitely not what anyone should have expected in year 9 of his tenure here.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I am a Homer. I believe the Lute Olson stroke story. I blamed Santa Clara on Steve Nash.

But this weekend combined with the FBI investigation and the impact it has already had and will continue to have on recruiting, man, I went from "stand by your man" to thinking it might have been better to fire him back when they let Book have it.

Either Miller had no idea what was going on in his own program, including not only paying players and their parents, but also funnelling them towards particular shady ass agents (worse offense in my opinion), or he knew and was involved. Either way it's a shit show.

Would you send your kid to a program like that? Not if they paid me (hahaha, sad irony). So we're losing recruits and losing the future.

But we still have today, and this season right? Even if it might now count.

Then this weekend happens. Welp. Looks like the kids know it won't count. His team has started auditioning for the NBA in October. Wow.

Maybe it would have shown more integrity to fire him back in September and try to save the program instead of going down with him.

I guess the silver lining is showing future coaches were loyal.

I don't know.

Winning programs can forgive cheating. North Carolina could survive this scandal. They don't have to be good guys and good. But we're the program that Lute Olson built. He doesn't even cuss. You know what I mean?

A program like Arizona can't exist without it's integrity. We're not UCLA. We're not North Carolina. We're recruiting kids to the desert. It was gonna be hard even if we were the number 2 team in the nation.

But losing...and cheating...wow.

It'll take more than playing zone and learning to beat the zone to break out of this free fall. I think only an NC (asterisk or otherwise) will be parachute enough.

Miller has lost the trust of future recruits parents, lost the team and now he's losing the fans too, including me.

This was a disaster. A high profile epic disaster. This was tiger woods rear window. This was the Malcolm Butler interception. This is damn near unrecoverable.

I sure as hell hope I'm wrong. And I haven't even posted my worst fears yet. I'm a bad fan, I can't believe I'm at this point. That's how shitty this whole thing is. This is very very bad.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

azpatnca said:

"But this weekend combined with the FBI investigation and the impact it has already had and will continue to have on recruiting, man, I went from "stand by your man" to thinking it might have been better to fire him back when they let Book have it.

Either Miller had no idea what was going on in his own program, including not only paying players and their parents, but also funnelling them towards particular shady ass agents (worse offense in my opinion), or he knew and was involved. Either way it's a shit show.

Would you send your kid to a program like that? Not if they paid me (hahaha, sad irony). So we're losing recruits and losing the future."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is amazing to me that people have to get their own heads smacked on their car's windshield to see the obvious.

At the very least the Arizona family could have put a lot of their pain behind them by self sanctioning the program heavily and immediately and, in the process, relieving pressure on the school, their coach, their fans and repairing the school's reputation in the process. Sean Miller will never be the same. He is now worse off because we have not acted quickly.

And so are we all.

It was the least the school could of/should of done. From my purview, it was an easy call.

Looking at Sean Miller today, I'd suggest he'd take a leave of absence. He could collect his enormous salary for a year and then decide whether he wants to stay, i.e., if he still has the privilege.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Hank, you are a special kind of moron.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona won 75 of their last 77 home games going back to the 2012-13 season and have a home record of 128-13 (.907) under Sean Miller.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

97cats wrote:Arizona won 75 of their last 77 home games going back to the 2012-13 season and have a home record of 128-13 (.907) under Sean Miller.
Pretty good for a coach who some describe only as RR's equal LOL. Seems to be getting his message through about better accountability on defense or sit. Gave up some 3 balls at the pit but I thought they did a pretty good job for the most part
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

97cats wrote:Arizona won 75 of their last 77 home games going back to the 2012-13 season and have a home record of 128-13 (.907) under Sean Miller.
They lost to UCLA last year in McKale...

... their records sucks!!

:shock:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It speaks volumes that I can name Oregon and UCLA as the two losses without thinking hard. You know you're good when instant recall of L's is a thing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It speaks volumes that I can name Oregon and UCLA as the two losses without thinking hard. You know you're good when instant recall of L's is a thing.
And before that it was Cal, when Alan Crabbe and Justin Cobbs both went NBA on us.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Hank of sb wrote:azpatnca said:

"But this weekend combined with the FBI investigation and the impact it has already had and will continue to have on recruiting, man, I went from "stand by your man" to thinking it might have been better to fire him back when they let Book have it.

Would you send your kid to a program like that? Not if they paid me (hahaha, sad irony). So we're losing recruits and losing the future."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is amazing to me that people have to get their own heads smacked on their car's windshield to see the obvious.

At the very least the Arizona family could have put a lot of their pain behind them by self sanctioning the program heavily and immediately and, in the process, relieving pressure on the school, their coach, their fans and repairing the school's reputation in the process. Sean Miller will never be the same. He is now worse off because we have not acted quickly.

And so are we all.

It was the least the school could of/should of done. From my purview, it was an easy call.

Looking at Sean Miller today, I'd suggest he'd take a leave of absence. He could collect his enormous salary for a year and then decide whether he wants to stay, i.e., if he still has the privilege.
Using terms like purview would have a better chance at producing the desired effect (of making you appear articulate) if you had written the fairly simple "could have, should have" terminology correctly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well, there's a nice quote to remind me why I put Hank on ignore.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Hank of sb wrote:azpatnca said:

And so are we all.

Of course, there is the very real possibility that Sean Miller is absolutely innocent of any misconduct and he has been tight with his recruiting and interactions and went to the administration with complete confidence knowing that if Book Richardson violated NCAA rules then only Book Richardson knows about it. But hey, you'd be a great consigliere to Miller telling him to fall on his sword.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You should take a plea to life in prison.

But I'm not charged with anything?

You're going to want this behind you.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

"Oh...and one more thing..."

WTF? Whomever came up with that commercial should be censured. It makes SM look [more] ridiculous.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yea, that was excruciating bad.

CSM needs to work on getting a T bitching to the refs. Lute excelled at it.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

enfuego wrote:"Oh...and one more thing..."

WTF? Whomever came up with that commercial should be censured. It makes SM look [more] ridiculous.
Odd, it doesn't bother me.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Merkin wrote:Yea, that was excruciating bad.

CSM needs to work on getting a T bitching to the refs. Lute excelled at it.

Yeah, but not in a game as close as this one. I definitely did not want another loss to UConn.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

These comments from Miller (not just the words, but how they were said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfTZF25jho" target="_blank starting at 3:17):

"I can't get them to play hard, I really can't."

"I have a hard time reaching our guys."

"This team, I can't reach them, I really can't."

are not a good look

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

From the quotes of Miller going around lately it is very very concerning. No idea what to do about it if the players don't want to play hard for him. Don't know if you hope next years class will and just sit there.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:These comments from Miller (not just the words, but how they were said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfTZF25jho" target="_blank starting at 3:17):

are not a good look
Calling out the players in public, hopefully that works.

Looking at Trier here especially.

CSM: Pound the ball inside
Zo: (clanks long 3 point shot)

Not so much v. the Buffs, since he went all Kobe pouty and decided he didn't want to play.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

PieceOfMeat wrote:These comments from Miller (not just the words, but how they were said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfTZF25jho" target="_blank starting at 3:17):

are not a good look
These words are very concerning if CSM really means them but maybe they were just said to motivate the players. The FBI probe has to weighing heavily on Miller and the team as well. I'm not trying to make excuses. Colorado earned the win yesterday and deserved to win. Part of me wonders if Miller feels he lost control not just of this years team but of the entire program. Despite all the issues CSM is getting paid very well to reach our guys and get them to play hard.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

The comments are concerning but I think coach kind of got carried away when the reporter asked him to elaborate. He's obviously frustrated and the FBI thing has to loom heavily. If I had to guess I think he's pointing his remarks mainly at Trier but probably at Ristic and PJC when he says "this team". Those guys were like a combined 9/40. All three got smoked defensively as well.

And what is up with Trier? I think he is the focal point of Miller's comments. His D isn't good and he's settled into this weird role that isn't him.

Obviously, like all of us, coach probably thought the team turned a corner defensively. But then for them to come out and make the exact same mistakes we saw in Atlantis. He has to be flabbergasted and who can blame him.

This shit happens in college basketball, especially on a particularly rough road trip. We are all disappointed but it's part of it.

Back to work.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Which is more likely? Miller is coaching through the mic? Or Miller is suddenly losing his team and losing his mind? I won’t give you a hint.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Troubling for sure. Not good. :?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Beginning of the end?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

TatetheGreat wrote:Beginning of the end?
I seriously doubt that. Most likely CSM is just using any means necessary to motivate his players.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Beginning of the end...
...of the beginning.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think we should nail our scrotums to the balcony and then jump off.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't believe what a big deal people are making about CSM's comments. Jay Williams is a Dukie and hates AZ. He's just throwing shade. Nothing to see here, people. Move along.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CSM is obviously sending a clear message to the team this shit has got to stop.

I can imagine what the practices will be like this week. Be interesting to see how the team responds.